Guinness Generous Ale | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Generous AleGuinness Generous Ale

guinness.com

Style: English Dark Mild Ale

Added by RyanLigeia on 11-14-2012

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

Deep garnet color with good clarity and a nice craggy off white head. red grapes, nuttiness, lots of red wine like notes on the nose, dark fruits, plums.

thinner body than expected. A little messy and not as clean as expected. A little tiny. Too many dark fruit flavors, not enough toasty and biscuit notes. Sweet yet balanced. Kind of like an underbaked biscuit with fig jam on it and maybe a touch of butter. Really thins out on the finish. Semi-dry but would benefit from being dried. Definitely needs more body.

2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

2.72/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured into tulip glass.

A: Pours a deep ruby color with big white head, decent retention

S: Smells of grass, hay. Cant get much else.

T: A little malt here, maybe a slight bit of roasted malts, mostly skunked flavors.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Maybe I got a bad bottle but not being too huge in this style it seems my bottle was more skunky than it should be. It came from a friend who got it in this years Guinness variety pack. Overall I'll probably pass on this one next time.

3.12/5  rDev -6.9%

Acquired as part of the Guinness winter variety pack at Total Wine Redondo Beach for $6.99. 11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle with classy red label and branded red pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery - which I love and respect. I don't see an ABV listed. No style identified on the label.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a three finger white-khaki colour head of nice cream and thickness, and good (4+ minute) retention. Body colour is a dark clear amber of average vibrance. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Light lacing as the head recedes. Looks typical of the style, I guess. It's certainly appealing in a general sense.

Sm: Light caramel, maybe some munich malt, toasted malt, and restrained sweetness. Cream. Light light floral hops. Quite timid. Appealing, if light.

T: Light caramel, light floral hops, a fair amount of munich or amber malt, caramel, and a touch of toasty character. Simple but balanced and enjoyable. Pleasant. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Tasty and sessionable. I could use more complexity and subtlety, but for the style it's well executed methinks. I do like it.

Mf: Nicely creamy. Smooth and wet. Body is near ideal. Light on the palate. Lightly refreshing. Carbonation is good. Complements the flavour profile generally well, though it doesn't feel custom tailored to it per se. Good palate presence.

Dr: Very sessionable, drinkable stuff. I expected the worst after Guinness Black Lager, but this new offering isn't half-bad. Definitely worth a go for fans of the style. I'd like to try it on-draught. Very well priced, especially as an import. Another pretty decent offering from Guinness. It feels right for a winter ale. Though it's on the higher end of expected ABVs for the style, the alcohol is very well hidden. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to friends, but I think it's a likable beer.

C+

Pairs well with chocolate.

Drinks fine out of a pint glass.

3.25/5  rDev -3%

3.22/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The CANQuest (tm) is always on the lookout for new & different CANs to be added to the ongoing madness. One of my local bottle shops was selling this as part of a "Limited Edition Amazing Ales Variety Pack" and I kept one of each for myself while gifting (CANtrabanding) the others to my colleagues. As it turns out, I have reviewed this beer previously, but from a bottle. Today is Sa, 16 Jan 2106.

From the CAN: "Celebrating the Holiday Spirit"; "Arthur's Holiday Ale".

I performed the Crack! listening raptly as it ocCANurred, but I had to go with a more gentle Glug than I would have liked, due to it being housed in a 16-fl. oz. CAN. C'est la guerre! It began with two fingers of dense, light-tan head that slowly reduced to the point that I could drink it without incurring a beer moustache. Color was Copper-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was quite sweet, evincing a berry-like quality, like red raspberries. Interesting! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste actually mirrored the nose in this case. It really had a red raspberry flavor and I was reminded of my late-paternal grandmother's garden with its raspberry bush. Preserves were her big thing with the occasional pie, which was a real treat. A pleasant trip down memory lane, courtesy of this beer. Finish was semi-sweet and anyone that knows raspberries will understand. They are not a terribly sweet fruit which is perhaps their attraction to me.

Harking back to my earlier review of Smithwick's Winter Spirit, I wrote, "It was a decent beer, but unless the Guinness Generous Ale is worthy, I am not going to recommend buying the variety pack." Would I now recommend it? Perhaps. The price point on mine was approximately $3.00/CAN & I got three (3) new CANQuest (tm) CANs out of it. I really liked this one, plus I gifted half of it to grateful colleagues. Let's give it my blessing.

My original, bottle review, dtd 10 March 2013 follows.

I love when the late-night knock on the door is local trader tone77 and not the cops or thugs or other uninvited denizens of the evening hours. He brings me large boxes filled with beers and leaves with bunches of CANs. Ours is a symbiotic relationship as I would probably gloss over bottles in search of CANs and he derives amusement from my CANQuest (TM).

From the bottle: "Be Generous Give Guinness"; "Celebrating the Holiday Spirit Arthur's Holiday Ale"; "Guinness Generous Ale celebrates Arthur's legacy as a brewer of styles with generous flavor and his commitment to the welfare of his employees & the community. Guinness Generous Ale is a full-bodied winter ale, balancing a subtle hop flavor with roasted barley character. Celebrate the spirit if the holidays with this special ale. [undersigned] Arthur Guinness]".

I liked that my pour created a dense, thick two-plus fingers of tan head that sat defiantly atop the beer, refusing to subside and allow me access. Color was a deep mahogany with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a light spiciness to accompany a malty, bready sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was like anise biscotti, if that makes sense. Finish was semi-dry. It was tasty, but one was enough. It just seemed to lack oomph.

3.12/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served from a 330 ml bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance was a dark orange-brown with a finger-width of tan colored head. Lots of carbonation and a bit of lacing.

Smell was a bit like caramel, but very faint.

Taste was again mostly caramel from the malt, but with a bit of a metallic finish that I was not a fan of.

Mouthfeel was a medium body, with fairly heavy carbonation for the style.

Overall, a solid but not especially memorable seasonal ale.

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

3.33/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

11.2oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Reddish brown with ample head. Mild caramel in the nose with bready undertones and a faintness hop hop ... very clean. Some smoothness, mildy crisp with a moderate sized body. Toasted grain, hint of roastiness, grape skin, slightly metallic, slightly sharp bitterness, kiss of caramel, wet body, bone dry finish. Not sure what to think here, not much of a winter ale ... of body nor strength. I guess I expected a bit more, just seems a bit overly processed.

2.59/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a 12 oz. Sam Adams glass. Clear, deep copper with a very short-lived creamy white head. No lacing. Aroma is limited, with a malt sweetness that didn't have any identifiable notes. Taste is about the same. There's a nondescript malt sweetness, but nothing distinctive about it. Almost no carbonation. It's a beer that has the form of an English Mild but not the depth you would expect.

3.76/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured a dark copper hue with a two finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured light earthy caramel malts and a subtle grassy hop.

The taste consisted of grainy roasted malts and a full sharp earthiness. Utilitarian grassy hop tightened up the flavor.

The mouthfeel was clean with a very dry finish.

Overall a tasty Irish Red Ae.

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

Guinness Generous Ale from Guinness Ltd.