Guinness Mid-Strength

Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 8 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.63/5  rDev +41.2%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

I’ve often hunted for low alcohol beers to drink mid week that aren’t shit, and Guinness is my favourite beer, so I was always going to scrutinise this one a lot.

I thought it’d be rubbish tbh but it really surprised me.

Pours identically to full Guinness, no discernible difference. Perfect deep burgundy body that is the classic black in most lights: with a thick and creamy top. The surge and settle is evident and not diminished. Smells just like Guinness.

Taste: expected this to be the let down but no! Tastes strong, dark, creamy, just like Guinness, not an imitation.

Feel is where it falls a touch. A gulp of the good stuff goes down a little easily: this mid strength version is a touch more “watery” with a mildly less satisfying lingering sensation on the mouth.

Did blind taste tests with my partner (original draught vs mid) and I could tell the difference (only on mouthfeel) but my overarching belief upon testing the two side by side was how bloody close it was. Incredible job by the brewery, the first 2.8% beer I’ve had that is even passable, let alone as excellent as this.

Cheaper, perfect for mid week, or those nights when you’re driving and would like two: it definitely scratches the Guinness itch.

2.84/5  rDev -13.4%

Found in Dublin, Ireland at Mulligan's Pub (excellent place too!). Figured this was mid-strength between draught and foreign-extra, thankfully the bartender informed me this was a beer for drivers and gave me a short pour for free instead!

Looks like a Guinness with a tight creamy head, except the body is noticeably a bit lighter and clearer. Not very much aroma, just light roasted notes, as I have come to expect from nitro poured beers. The body is incredibly thin with a decent coffee note that is stronger than in Guinness, but not much else going on. With the low carbonation this beer comes across as having a ridiculously thin body.

Thank heavens I was warned about this beer before I bought a pint as it turned out to be more of a mix of Guinness and water! Meh. Never again, unless I needed to stay sober (and even then maybe just some pop)

Guinness Mid-Strength from Guinness Ltd.