Guinness Red Harvest Stout | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Red Harvest StoutGuinness Red Harvest Stout

4.56/5  rDev +46.2%

4.25/5  rDev +36.2%

4.25/5  rDev +36.2%

4.16/5  rDev +33.3%

Guinness Red Harvest Stout present the traditional Guinness cascade, and it sets up with a creamy, cream-colored head (medium width), a clear, reddish-brown appearance, a lacing sheen, and lots of tiny bubbles that stream up, if the glass is agitated in any way. The aroma comes alive as the beer warms- very creamy, medium-roasted malt, caramel sweetness, and toffee. Taste is of very sweet, sugary, bready malt, caramel, cream, and a mellow hop bitterness to balance things out. Mouthfeel is medium and silky, and Guinness Red Harvest Stout finishes semi-dry, sweet, smooth, and delicious.

RJT

Sampling right now on 8/29/14. New this year and comes in a 4-pack (cans only for $8.99) that contains 14.9 ounces. About 8 of them were out for 'Make your own 6" for $7.99, so I got 2 of them. :) Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a Guinness pint glass.

Pours a very deep brown with ruby-red highlights with a nice 1+-finger creamy head that is from the nitro-tap in the can. Pours nicely just like a thick Guinness on tap. A good amount of thick lacing is seen that sticks to the sides of the glass when sipped. One of the most I have seen actually! Not much for aroma, just of some roasted malts for the most part. The taste is very smooth with not a lot of carbonation and is different from a regular Guinness and much easier to drink. The taste is of some roasted malts with a very light hint of some spice but not very detectible. Overall, a smooth brew.

3.85/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip.

A: I know there are those who hate these nitro cans but I one the way this looks. A wonderful cascade down the glass as the head settles and oh what a head. And this head while it dissipates never vanishes but does leave some wonderful lacing as it subsides. Pours a dark brown with a hint of red.

S: For me, a faint roasted grain aroma.

T: I saw a noter review that liked this beer but said it didn't taste like a stout. I tolerate some stouts but they aren't my favorite style, perhaps that's why I like this one.

M: If you like the nitro mouthfeel you will like this as well. Obviously it works for me.

O: I like this better than the regular Guinness, but I like that as well.

3.84/5  rDev +23.1%

3.83/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Mahogany brown in color, with a large, dense, and quite creamy off-white head, and very thick, utterly glass-coating lacing.

Aroma: Moderately roasted malt, light caramel, some nuts, and very slight herbal hops.

Taste: The taste begins with dark caramel, toasted malts, and an undercurrent of nuts, which carries throughout. The dark caramel and toasted nuts persist throughout the taste, and a little bitter cocoa appears along the way. Finishes with a modest note of herbal hop bitterness and lingering roasted malts.

Mouth feel: Very smooth, soft, and pleasant, velvety to the palate.

Drinkability/notes: Very pleasant and drinkable, quite nice. Its hard to imagine a more appropriate Halloween (or Samhain) ale.

Presentation: Packaged in a fourteen point nine ounce nitro can with a nitro capsule, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice,

3.82/5  rDev +22.4%

I picked this one up in a singles cooler. It was sitting way back and I figured hey, something bigger than 12 oz...it's a better deal!

Only later did I realize that this beer celebrated demon festivals and druids of the celtic religion. Needless to say I don't want to partake in that so I'm gonna taste it quick and probably get rid of it. Personal choice.

Appearance (4.5) : Pours a very creamy head that, combined with the body actually shows about three different hues of color. The first hue is a dark brown which is the body, then where the body meets the head it's a shade lighter, and finally the head which is a traditional creamy Guinness white cap. Eventually it separates into a dark currant red body and a creamy white cap about 1 finger that stays probably forever. It's probably got about the neatest, most uniform looking cap I've seen. The body is about 90% opaque. The lacing as I drink it is simply world class.

Aroma (3.75) : Smells harvest season-ish. Pumpkin, cranberry, currant, some sweet cinnamon. Anise candy. Perhaps even a little butterscotch. It smells sweet. Bouquet is weak in strength, though.

Taste (3.5) : It's different. It has a sour and lightly tinny ale flavor that goes away pretty quick, but then glides down so smooth. There's hints of oats and wheat as well. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, and overall it is pretty tasteless, but what IS there tastes pretty alright.

Mouthfeel (4) : A+ for this beer. It's a great feel and is signature Guinness creaminess. Almost too creamy, but not quite. Lightly carbonated to keep that in check. It's basically like drinking whole milk with just a little zip. The finish is almost nothing, though.

Overall : (3.82)

(Side Bar - Upon pouring I noticed there was some sort of object in the can. I cut the can open with a knife and carefully peeled back the top to reveal a plastic ball. Upon a quick internet search I realized this was called "a widget", and that's what is responsible for such an exceptional head and retention. Interesting.)

I think this beer is a great tasting offering from Guinness. Why they decided to dedicate it to druids and celtic pagan festivals is beyond me. Sadly I won't be buying this again for personal and religious reasons but I can rate the beer on its own merit that it is worth trying.

Guinness Red Harvest Stout from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 12.9% out of 100 with 310 ratings