Coffee Porter | Vierling Restaurant & Marquette Harbor Brewery

Awaiting More Ratings

Vierling Restaurant & Marquette Harbor Brewery
thevierling.com

Style: American Porter

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by tavernjef on 02-17-2005

Reviews by drizzam:
4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Pours a deep dark brown, nay, black in color topped by a tan half finger head. Average head retention and some spotty lacing left down the inside of my tulip.

S - Dark roasted malt, bitter chocolate and a nice fresh ground coffee aroma are the main players here. The coffee smells spectacular, if not a tad bit muted.

T & M - The nose did not betray the tongue! Dark roasted malts provide the backbone while bitter bakers chocolate and fresh ground coffee provide ample accents. I've had coffee brews that are more over the top with the coffee than this, but there is nothing wrong with it being less than an overpowering force. Medium bodied with a clean almost drying finish. A slightly bitter coffee aftertaste finishes it all off.

D - A delicious brew...the fresh coffee taste is well represented here. A very drinkable porter, one that would be a regular staple in my fridge if it was more readily available.

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%

Tasted on 5-14-2010 IMHO this is a great beer! I feel it gives you a great coffee tatse in a very drinkable beer! a must try if your a Porter fan. A nice dark pour with a easy taste while drinking. Maybe it could use a touch more coffee taste to it, but over all it is a great beer with a enough coffee taste to it for the general public. i would drink again! I'm not one to get into the huge review where you hash out everything! Just giving you my take on things!

Please be advised as with all my reviews this one is IMHO. I do not have nor claim to have training in reviewing beers. I' am a simple guy who likes beer. If I do not like a style of beer I will not review it. Although I do keep the style guidelines in mind. All my reviews are simple and short. I tell you IMHO what I think of the beer and how I feel it tastes for that style.

3.51/5  rDev -10.9%

On-tap at the brewpub: Dark sludgy brown nearly black color, thin creamy tannish head, keeps a thin collar, lacing in spots and ink blobs.

Aroma of light milk chocolate and a very small hint of cappuchinno. Not much of a nose, but respectfully clean and fresh.

Taste is light in flavors with milk chocolate, sweetish barley, and a very light smudge of what could be coffee. The chocolate tones are nice but for a coffee porter it lacks bigtime so I'll throw aside the coffee label for this review. Only a small dry finishing quality brings out a recognizable coffee roast, but its quite subtle and short in stature.

Clean and mild feel thats just shy of a medium body and drys out with subtle drying chocolate and very light microscopic coffee roast.

Not a bad porter really, its actually quite good and very drinkable with an easy mild chocolate tone. But as a coffee porter, as the name on all the boards an menus state, it comes up pretty short. If you call it coffee, it better taste at least a little bit like coffee not just look like it.

Coffee Porter from Vierling Restaurant & Marquette Harbor Brewery