Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

kbrewery.com

Style: Eisbock

Added by marburg on 07-27-2003

Ratings: 1,271 |  Reviews: 461

On tap for one night only 5/7/2005 @ the Kuhnhenn pub, aren't I the lucky one?

This is by far and away, one of the most masterfully crafted beers I've ever consumed. Quite an artistic masterpiece if you were to ask me, and you're reading this, so in a way, you kind of are, aren't you? :) Just a quick note before I begin, I had very hard time giving this brew all 5's, it really should be a true rarity, and maybe along subjective lines I thought the mouthfeel was a little too sticky or what not, but on the other hand, Eisbocks are supposed to be that way, so this beer truly deserves these scores, no two ways about it, so my ratings are tempered both subjectively and objectively.

Served in a small snifter the brew appears a cloudy brown in color with dark ruby tones swirling about. There was a small and creamy crown of a head around the edges with thin streams of it circling toward the middle of the glass. The nose is impressive, I could defiantly detect the raspberries right away, accompanied by a mixture of dark fruits and just the slightest tinge of alcohol, just enough to give the brew a very strong character, but not enough to throw off the balance. A deep note of dark baker's chocolate was also present. All of these combined for one interesting glass to keep smelling, and that I did! I couldn't keep from wanting to smell it over and over, beautiful!

Now to the taste, this brew was simply stunning, this is one incredibly sexy and vivacious beverage. I would take this beer over all comers when it comes to something you save for special occasions. In fact, while I'm not even seeing anyone seriously, I bought a large bottle to open the day I get married. Sentimental? Sure. But believe me, this one is like the girl (or guy, whatever you're into) of your dreams, like falling in love for just a second. Maybe I'm over-romanticizing here, but to hell with it, a brew like this deserves to be waxed poetically about.

The taste is a bit tart a first, even a little sour, in a good way. This is followed by an undercurrent of figs, raisins and other dark fruits, also a certain intoxicating flavor underpins all of it, that almost dry and bittersweet chocolate, then the raspberries really make an appearance. The chocolate and the raspberry flavors continue nearly indefinitely, there doesn't even seem to be any real finish. The sticky nature of the brew I'm sure helps with that, but each sip lasted an eternity, and believe me, that is certainly a good thing. There are so many layers going on here that you forget about the base almost completely, but if you concentrate you notice a very well orchestrated dance between malt sweetness and hop bitterness and it really serves as the foundation of this beer. While the ABV is fairly high, you would NEVER guess it, there is nothing denoting it in the flavor profile, how those Kuhnhenn boys do this is beyond me, pure magic.

Mouthfeel was of course thick and sticky, very full and robust which lends itself well to the qualities in the flavor. Just about perfect.

I'm fairly certain this beer is an aphrodisiac, I'm not kidding when I say this brew is sexy, it really and truly just IS. I've never had a beer get me starting to think about big beds, fireplaces, poetry, hot tubs and that certain look in another person's eyes. Truly a great beer experience that I'll be hard pressed to top. Go ahead and find it if you can and share it with someone special, this beer is an event. Luckily I bought a few bottles for those future special occasions. I'd recommend everyone do the same.

Slàinte mhath! To you and yours!

2004 (tiny) bottle. I wish it was a Methuselah! Better yet, how about a Melchizedek...

A - It has a hallowed, sanctified, consecrated appearance, projecting a velvety royal oxblood-crimson hue with visibly plasma-like viscosity. There is a smattering of wispy tan froth, though it is very scant.

S - This is indescribably delicious. I have never experienced a better fruit- anything. No beer, wine, jelly, juice, candy, confection or fruit itself has ever hit me with this level of deliciousness. And I haven't even taken a sip yet. There is an unbelievably rich malt sensibility that is reminiscent of the best English Barleywines I have had, evoking memories of J.W. Lees 1997 and some of the better Thomas Hardy vintages, except decadently raspberry-laden. As I drink away this (perhaps-never-to-be-seen-again) treat, the EBW comparison is solidified.

T - Off the hook. This beer is paradoxical; it is simultaneously intense and sensational, whilst also being sublimely refined. This is the definitely the best fruit flavor I have ever had. I think this is probably the most delicious beer I have ever had! Yeah, I said it. Now what? Beautifully lustrous and luxurious malt-driven notes of caramelized brown sugar, toffee and hazelnut, dried dark fruits macerated in raspberry liquor as well as oaken vanilla provide myriad pleasure and complexity. I really can't do this justice with words. The ABV is unthinkable, you would never know that this had 6%, much less 13.5%. I am not tremendously familiar with this brew as a fresh(er) product, so I can not accurately say what changes time has wrought; I can say that time has been very good to it.

M - Crimson velvet. Silky smooth. Slightly sparkling (ever-so). I could ask for nothing more.

D - Too much of my enjoyment of this gem has been squandered ticking! Perfect 5s!

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company