Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Added by marburg on 07-27-2003

#311

Ratings: 1,273 |  Reviews: 461
4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

One of those special beers that somehow eluded me for years. Big thanks to rudzud for finally getting one and sharing it with me. 2012 vintage.

No real head, thick syrupy pour, long legs, semi clear for how dark it is, mahogany chestnut dark thick color faint dark ruby light.

Nose brings tons of syrupy bock, and syrupy raspberry, toffee, caramel, candy syrup, sweet raspberry marmalade, so much raspberry puree, super dark choc too, heavy truffle like dark choc with raspberry filling, no booze, raspberry rock candy crystals,

Taste is amazing, full of jammy raspberry, flesh and raspberry jam, etc, with great powdered cocoa and dark choc dust. Very sweet, syrupy candy, raspberry truffle filling and dark choc outside. Little tannic seed stem but the real raspberry seed in there. Rich velvety raspberry and choc, like a black forest cake with raspberry, bakers choc cake. Finish is sticky syrupy but not messy, very little warming booze, sticky finish.

Mouth is thick and velvety, very little carb but very little booze too.

Overall, I had very high expectations for this, and it even surpassed them. Amazing beer. Only qualm is the lack of the bock and malts on the flavor.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

This is the first fruit beer that really wowed me. It is worth every bit of the hype that led up to my tasting it. On an evening full of great new beers this one stole the show. Dark and opaque with minimal head and a slightly red glow at the edges the beer looks quite imposing. The aroma is incredible. Dark chocolate and fresh rasberries smell so real if you closed your eyes you you would swear the dessert cart was rolled out as your coffee was being poured. The taste is every bit the equal of the aroma. Sweet without becoming cloying, a perfect balance of the chocolate and coffee bitterness and the sweetness of the rasberry and malt. Thick mouthfeel, but it is perfect for this beer. Very drinkable considering that everything about this beer is so rich. I was a bit surprised when I learned just how strong this beer is. Alcohol is very well hidden.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 375 mL bottle into an enlarged wine glass. This is the 2012 version

Appearance: Pours a dark raspberry red and gives a half finger of reddish-tan head which fade almost immediately to nothing.

Smell: Huge aroma - when I poured it, the aroma filled up the room: BIG raspberry, molasses, caramel, brown sugar, chocolate dipped raspberries, bourbon, oak, vanilla, toffee. Big and complex.

Taste: Holy cow, huge flavor (I think my eyes are watering): Big delicious raspberry, caramel, brown sugar, toffee, bourbon. Quite sweet, but really delicious flavors. Jammy and syrupy raspberry take the lead with some bourbon-like qualities playing wonderfully beside.

Mouth-feel: Low to medium carbonation with a thick, sticky, syrupy body. Finishes a bit sweet. The alcohol is masked masterfully.

Overall: This is an awesome, huge raspberry beer. The raspberry is amazingly pronounced but wonderful. Other players include chocolate, vanilla, toffee, molasses. This is surprisingly drinkable. I'm definitely glad I drank the whole 375 mL bottle!

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Thanks to ThomasHardy for this one.

6.3 oz bottle, 2004 release

A: Pours into a flute with a reddish brown color with little head or lacing.

S: Light fruity smell with sugary aromas the remind me of candy. Also some herbal and floral notes. Not a strong smell, but very complex and pleasant.

T: Soft raspberry taste with flavors of caramel, candy, and a characteristic bock maltiness. Sweet, but not overly fruity as I expected. The alcohol is amazingly well-hidden until the beer gets to room temp, and then it takes on a mild cough syrup sort of taste, so drink this slightly chilled.

M: Full-bodied, thick, sticky, and syrupy. Light carbonation.

D: An amazing sipper, 6.3 ounces was just enough. Quite complex and a must-try beer.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

6.3oz bottle poured into a snifter. 2007 vintage. Huge thanks to thabigmp for sharing this amazing beer. My first Eisbock and Kuhnhenn.

A: Dark brown with deep red highlights. Very hazy. Very small head that fades quick and leaves hardly any lace. But I wasn't expecting much with 13.5%ABV.

S: Amazing. Chocolate covered raspberries. Very creamy smell. A touch of alcohol. A surprising cheesecake aroma.

T: Just like a chocolate raspberry cheesecake, and boy do I love cheesecake. Very sweet without being to sweet. No alcohol is perceptible at all.

M: Full bodied. Light carbonation. Very creamy and chewy. Rich.

O: An amazing beer! Not a whole lot to say except if you get a chance to try it don't pass it up.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Raspberry delight! This beer was truly a treat, especially when paired with a chocolate brownie. Intense flavors and aromas and the booze let's you know it's there! Will be interested to see how this ages.

4.71/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.71/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Not a real site to be honest with you. Pours a reddish brown hue with a very wimpy head.

S: The appearence left me wondering, but at first whiff I knew I had a winner. Holy shit this one is beautiful. Think freshberries drizzled with caramel and hot fudge. I have not had a dessert in quite sometime with an aroma this wonderful.

T: After smelling this one, I had to dive in and give it a sip. WOW!!! I have had eisbock's before and I was some what luke warm to them. Well this is a totally different. The flavors are some of the most complex I have ever tasted. Think Fresh Ripe Indiana Raspberries, Wonderful Creamy Caramel, and the Best Belgian Chocolate known to man mixed together and put in a bottle. That is what this one is. Soo complex, soo wonderful, soo good. The flavors are so dynamic yet seperate. They do not compete with each other at all.

M: Thick and syrupy with ample carbonation.

D: Very little indication of the ABV. The flavor makes you wish this one came by the bomber.

Overall: This is one had I been after for quite sometime. I was glad to acquire it, and even happier with the first taste. The flavors and aromas are hard to beat. Most brewers out there try to replicate world class brews. There is a reason no one else it putting out something like this one. This beer is world class and can not be duplicated. No doubt about it this is one of the best beers in the world. Kuhnhenn hit a grand slam with this one. GET IT AT ANY COST!!!

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

6.3oz. little bitty green bottle poured into a snifter. Notes.

A: Pours an opaque brandy color with deep ruby in the light, awesome color. Not overly carbonated, short head with wisps of lacing.

S: Raspberries and other syrupy fruits. Deep and hugely rich malts. Somewhat port-like.

T/M: Tart raspberries. Sweet, syrupy malts. Caramel, toffee, chocolate, all the good stuff. Alcohol is big ang beautiful... superbly complex. Great flavor and warmth from the alcohol. Body is full and sticky. Carbonation is somewhat low but still supports the brew.

D: Very intrigueing beer that definitely lives up to the hype. Unbelievable sipper and after dinner drink.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled at the Hop Devil in NYC for their Kuhnhenn night. What a treat this was. Served in an 8 oz wine glass. The beer poured a deep amber color with pretty much no head. there was a nice hint of a frost on the glass due to the serving temp which I come to find out from the brewer who was at the event that it was the best temp to serve it at. A bit cooler. There was a deep malty nose with some slight sweetness to boot. The taste was vinous and had a great raspberry and chocolate taste that compliment each other very well. Even with some of the high abv coming through, this is a smooth beer that goes down without alot of burn but provides for a nice warming sensation and full mouth and body.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Ah, the elusive Raspberry Eisbock. Thanks to BigDaddyWil for this bottle!

Appearance was nice - copper color with cherry highlights throughout. There was a small head upon pouring but this faded pretty quickly, which is to be expected for a 13.5% brew.

The smell is very pleasant. It's a nice mellow warm raspberry and cherry fruitiness, with a hint of caramel. The smell really intensifies as this warms, but it didn't surprise me as much as the spectacular taste.

The taste is like no other beer you've had. It tastes like chocolate covered raspberries without the tartness as first. Then the depth of the caramel malt hits you and really brings the complexity to another level. There is also some mysterious sparkly spiciness underneath everything that confounds me as I cannot put a name on it. This is one of the most decadent and rich beers I have ever tried, and it was a perfect dessert after a nice steak dinner and a Thirsty Dog Siberian Night Imperial Stout. There is never any hint of the alcohol content, which is amazing.

The mouthfeel is perfect for this beer. It's thick, that's for sure, but not so thick that it becomes chewy or heavy at any point. It's basically just perfect. I had to fight myself from chugging my tiny sample because I split the ridiculously small bottle with my girlfriend. This is such a good example of the diversity of beer. Just amazing.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.69/5  rDev +7.1%

Raspberry Eisbock seems like a fine beer to celebrate 5 years on BA!

2004 Vintage

187ml bottle

Dark ruby in hue, fairly opaque, but when backlit a bright garnet color emerges; the color is quite lovely. Short-lived off-white head, in seconds all the bubbles faded to a soapy collar, naked in the middle. Not surprisingly there was no lacing. The appearance is unremarkable (but nice to look at nevertheless). I can’t ask for too much out of a high alcohol beer.

Massive nose! Huge, rich malty aromas… caramel, chocolate, malted balls, plus chocolate covered raspberries, dried raspberries. Not to mention a wonderful boozy cognac aroma, raisin bread, and so much more it seems. This is a very complex nose! Wow. I’ve never smelled a beer like this… I love it! Huge potency, chatty, complex, my mouth waters with every sip. This is a hell of a dessert Eisbock. It is rich and powerful but with grace.

Hot palate… rum, brandy, fruity cognac, raspberry wine; whoa, my throat feels the burn. Milk chocolate covered raspberries, hints of espresso, cream, raisin bread, licorice, black currents with a splash of burnt sugar at the finish. I was expecting a fuller malt profile. By no means is the malt lacking, it is quite healthy but I was hoping for something more firm. Sweet throughout, almost cloying but with less than 7 ounces to drink how can I complain? I am forced to sip and savor. It is totally worth it.

Low carbonation, smooth mouthfeel; about full in body which fits this beer perfectly. Relaxing…

Funny, I could drink two or three of these little bottles in one setting. There has to be dozens of desserts to pair this with. Fantastic. Hell, it flies solo very well. I bet a creamy, rich cheese would rock too. Easily the best fruit beer I have ever tasted. My first beer from Kuhnhenn was a stud (as expected really). Bravo! Thank you RedHaze, I am glad I waited to drink this. I don’t know why I did but it was paid off in spades.

4.69/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this beer at my local beer store. The Owner had a bottle of 2014 that had on hand in his fridge behind the counter. The best Eisbock I have ever drank!

4.69/5  rDev +7.1%

2007 vintage served from a bottle at Ashley's in Ann Arbor into a small glass.

A: I was expecting this to be a little bit more red, but the color was a murky dark brown, with only a faint hint of red when held up to the light. Almost no head (tiny bit of off-white when first poured) with little to no retention.

S: Simply wonderful and complex. The raspberries defiantly come through on top, as they should. There are also notes of caramel, malt, vanilla, and chocolate.

T: I took my first sip and was blown away. A very unique tasting beer. Chocolate, candies, caramel, with some raspberry glaze on top. Still, somehow not overly sweet, probably due to the low amount of alcohol heat on the back end...delicious.

M: Low carbonation, but this makes for one smooth, gratifying drink. The smoothness does not come across like the "chewiness" of some big stouts, but rather like a cordial.

D: Perhaps my only complaint (aside from minor downgrades in the appearance) is that as this beer warmed it felt as if more alcohol booziness was coming through than at the start of the glass. This may limit its drinkability somewhat. While I know that it may be meant more as an after dinner or dessert beer, the 6.3 ounce bottle also limits its drinkability as I would have loved a 12 ounce serving instead! Definitely a must try.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company