Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Style: Eisbock

Added by marburg on 07-27-2003

Ratings: 1,267 |  Reviews: 458
4.62/5  rDev +5.5%

2007 vintage poured from a 6.3oz bottle into my Dogfish snifter. It poured a deep red, slightly brown color with some faint traces of lacing scattered across the top. Not much carbonation is visible at all after the pour. The low carbonation feels very fitting for the style though.

The aroma has a lot of fresh raspberry to it. Chocolate and caramel add to the sweetness and desert like flavor it has. Decent amount of alcohol present but it doesn't seem out of place for what it is. It's almost like a liqueur type aroma to it.

The taste has a fantastic fresh raspberry flavor to it. Chocolate, caramel and toffee come out as well and really compliment the raspberry flavors. I get a bit of tartness to it as well, which helps it from becoming too sweet. The finish lingers very nicely with some more raspberry and chocolate flavors to it. The alcohol is pretty well hidden for how big the abv is.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side and moderately syrupy with very low carbonation. Drinkability was very good as an after dinner desert beer. Perfect serving size as well, it's quite nice that this didn't come in a 750ml bottle. It's not something you want to drink a lot but a pretty perfect beer for after dinner this evening. I wish I had some vanilla ice cream to go with it.

4.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I received this in the recent White Whale BIF and couldn't wait any longer to try it.
6.3oz 2007 bottle served in a small snifter.

A - Pours a rich caramel with reddish hue. I think I see a few small bubbles of carbonation, but didn't expect any given the abv.

S - Fresh tart raspberries dipped in caramel chocolate. I could smell this all night long.

T - Big malty raspberries, chocolate, caramel, and cherries. I thought it would be sweeter in the sugar sense, but it's just massively malty sweet.

M/D - The amount of carbonation is perfect for this beer. It just slightly bubbles over your tongue, but leaves your mouth lingering with the malty syrup. Drinkablity is great, and the bottle size is absolutely perfect.

I need to find at least one more bottle of this to see what its like at 3+ years...

4.61/5  rDev +5.3%

187ml red waxed bottle poured into a tumbler, 2007 vintage.

Pours a hazy red/amber color with basically no head, the aroma is chocolate, raspberry and slight booze, and oddly cheesecake its great.

Taste is also chocolate Raspberry cheesecake, it's awesome! Very rich, smooth crisp. And very refreshing which is odd given the abv its smooth and super drinkable very high abv but no. Problem. Amazing beer!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.61/5  rDev +5.3%

A special thanks to trumick for this one. Hard to get.

A- Small 6 oz bottle, 2007, pours dark brown/red, small head, thin bubble lacing.

S -I have never had anything like it. The raspberries dominate the nose, with chocolate not far behind.

T- Taste amplifies the smell. It is like eating a chocolate torte smothered in raspberry sauce.

M - Very coating, creamy, sufficient carbonation.

D - I like dessert. I wish I had a case of these guys to finish off my next 24 meals.

2007 version, poured from a 183 mL bottle, courtesy of tayner

A: Pours a very rusty looking brown, no head to speak up. No lace.

S: A mix of fresh raspberry, caramel, hint of chocolate, all bolstered by a sweet malt backbone. Aroma is very candy-like. Like a raspberry candy or like a light chocolate covered raspberry candy you may find in a box of chocolates.

T: Caramel and raspberry again. A bit of a toasted malt and bitterness in the back end. A bit of spicy alcohol. Sweet malty tones throughout. The taste really makes you think of that you biting into the fruit. Not juicy, but like you are actually eating the fruit but with out any type of astringency that would hurt the mouthfeel.

M/D: Full bodied, very light carbonation, alcohol is concealed well enough. Drinkability is nice. 13.50% hampers it a bit, plus it is so dang rich I would probably would only what it with desert, or as desert. Very good brew.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

187ml

2007 Bottling

This is yet another great brew sent to me courtesy of hoppymeal, thanks Derek! Kuhnhenn's Raspberry Eisbock pours like syrup into my flute which creates a problem conjuring up a head. The body is dark and murky, the color of raspberry juice that while dark manages to glow around the edges of the glass when backlit. I did manage to get a thin skimming of head that quickly fizzled to nothing but a thin ecru collar. The thin collar that's there leaves behind sheet lacing that slowly slides back into the body.

The smell of this eisbock is out of this world good. Fresh ripe raspberry puree jumps from the glass right off the bat and is quickly followed by rich dark chocolate. There's a faint booziness in the back that only adds to the incredibly rich aroma. This beer is like dessert in a bottle, I can't get over how perfectly sweet the raspberry is and how perfectly rich the dark chocolate is. How do you get this aroma into a bottle?

The flavor is exactly what the aroma suggested. I thought it would be tough to keep up with the aroma on this beer but the flavor does just that. Freshly pureed raspberries are drizzled with molten dark chocolate. There's a quick flash of bread pudding but the chocolate and raspberries take center stage. This is one amazing beer!

This is a sipper/nightcap sort of beer but it fits this beer perfectly. The body is rich and thick with a coating quality that keeps the tongue busy for awhile. Mellow carbonation keeps this beer slowly moving while the raspberry and chocolate sweetness hangs out on the tongue for awhile.

Even though this is a sipper it's a beer I would be happy sipping all night long. The 13% isn't even noticeable and this beer just keeps on flowing.

This is one of the best beers I've had in awhile. I can't figure out how Kuhnhenn packed that flavor into this beer. I would love to get my hands on a case of this stuff. Thanks for the bottle Derek!

4.61/5  rDev +5.3%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice. 2007 Vintage.

It pours very dark amber almost brown, very light brown head, no lacing, clear and oily looking.

The aroma is very strong like a chocolate covered raspberry straight from a chocolatier. There are also notes of carmel and a touch of alcohol.

Taste is excellent and strong and sticks to your mouth. Almost like you're eating a piece of candy. You can't chug this but sip it and you will get tons of flavors like chocolate, raspberry, vanilla, and a touch of alcohol. The ending is all vanilla a nice surprise.

Mouthfeel is superb, chunky and sticky.

For its abv is oustandingly drinkable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into snifter; clear, copper color. No noticeable carbonation. Not a raspberry fan but had to give this a go! Raspberry, raisins, chocolates greet nose. Medium bodied well balanced with chocolate/raspberry moving easily across the palate. Alcohol is easily is smooth....a dessert beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared this with a few friends at the Hourglass Brewery on 1/23 after acquiring a few bottles earlier that same evening.

I really enjoyed this. It was about what I was expecting, though perhaps more boozy. Eisbocks aren't really my "thing," and I mostly sought this out per request from one friend that participated in the share, but it was worth seeking out. He actually wanted the blueberry-flavored one, but we've pretty much given up on that one so this was the next-best thing.

I highly recommend this one, if you can get it. I have one more bottle but am going to age it for a while and perhaps trade it for something interesting in the future. We'll see.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very interesting, unique brew that I will never forget trying. Thick, sweet, and syrupy with a great raspberry tang. Hides the ABV very well.

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap at Kuhnhenn's, as well as at WBF.

A- Pretty much the way I want all beers to look- deep red/pinkish, with minimal head.

S- Raspberry (obviously), pretty tart smell. I personally couldn't pick up on any of the chocolate or malt tones in the smell.

T- Amazing. As I was trying to explain it to friends, I described it as a raspberry soaked in liquor. (Please mind that I was slightly inebriated when stating this, but you get the idea). Strong raspberry flavor, that tastes like real fresh raspberry, not syrup or candy or anything of that sort. Hints of cocoa and maltiness. But, the alcohol does pack a punch. You can definitely taste it, and from what I hear you either love it or hate it. I clearly love it, but I can definitely see how some may feel it is too abrasive.

O- A very good beer. Pretty much perfect for me, but I curved my grades a bit seeing as this is not a beer that appeals to everyone. I have a bottle that I plan on aging for awhile to see how that pans out.

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.59/5  rDev +4.8%

2007 Vintage. Poured from 187 ml bottle into a tulip. Poured at cellar temperature.

Holy crap, when I opened the bottle an immediate rush of raspberry and chocolate goodness assailed me.

Poured it delicately into my tulip glass. Pours a deep mahogany with deep red verging on purple highlights. Does have some carbonation which is exciting and unexpected. No head to speak of but a ring of tight tan bubbles forms around the glass.

The smell of the beer is unbelievable. It's a tart and tangy raspberry chocolate punch to the senses. The alcohol is also present on the nose but not in an uncomfortable way.

The taste is initially like chocolate covered cherries and other red fruits. The mid palate experiences more of the chocolate notes and it finishes with a nice raspberry zing at the end. Really a work of art.

The mouthfeel is medium to medium heavy which is to be expected. No real carbonation to speak of that I can taste, again, to be expected.

Overall this little big beer is a true gem. Definitely to be savored with a big cigar or some good chocolate. Best "fruit" beer I have ever had.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +4.8%

Huge thanks to Warriorsoul for splitting this gem last night!! 2007 bottle. Poured into a tasting glass. Pours a murky brown with purple tinged highlights. No head to speak of. Smell is luscious. I hate that word, but it totally describes the aroma. Lots of rich raspberry juice or concentrated juice with some dark sugar and cinnamon. I could definitely just smell this one all nite. Taste is divine, as well. Truly a dessert in a glass. Like a rich raspberry truffle. I have no idea how they can get this to liquid form. Lots of raspberry puree, chocolate, some vanilla to boot. Very creamy, full bodied mouthfeel. I was told you could share this small bottle with a few people because of the richness. I think I would want one all by myself.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.59/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottle at the RBSG 08 Grand Tasting. Pours the color of black cherry skin, no head. Aroma is heavenly and port-like, with raspberry puree, vanilla, sherry, and fudge. Flavor is dead-on raspberry hard candy, with chocolate and vanilla accent. Basically like drinking a raspberry cordial milkshake. Long lingering finish demands the next sip. Amazing dessert/nightcap/sweet-tooth beer.

Winter solstice 2010 bottle

Pours a dark brown with reddish purplish hues. A tiny bit of carbonation. Smells very strongly of raspberry with some extra sweetness. Tastes of rspberries... Lots and lots of raspberries. Some caramel underneath that gives it quite a sweetness. You would never know it was >13%. very drinkable!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Nice amber color with a great head.

S-Lots of raspberry in here, alcohol is surprisingly absent.

T-Cannot describe how delightful this beer is. It's like a cherry cordial. Lots of truffled chocolates, hardly any alcohol burn.

F-For the ABV, found this incredibly easy to drink. Sure, a few pours will put you off your feet, but KRE is an astonishingly great effort.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company