Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

kbrewery.com

Style: Eisbock

Added by marburg on 07-27-2003

Ratings: 1,271 |  Reviews: 461

2004 vintage. Thanks to northerntimber for this one which I received in my first trade about a year and a half ago.

Beautiful wax-covered miniature bottle poured into my Corsendonk tuilip with a dark brown color, almost pitch-black, with absolutely no head and only a small crown of thin foam along the top. This thing pours more like motor oil than a beer, very thick. Surprised to see the bottle is actually green upon emptying.

Aroma is...wow. Dark chocolate, and incredibly sweet. The raspberry flavor is subtle at first but grows as it warms up. Huge cognac flavor and even similar to Chambord. Lighter bready and brown sugar malts and even a hint of raisin -- actually along with the chocolate it kind of reminds me of Raisinettes.

I don't remember the last time I took one sip of a beer and said the words "oh my God" out loud, but I just did it tonight. Warm alcohol flavor and perfect combination of bitterness and sweetness with the chocolate and fruitiness. I could probably go on but frankly, my palette is overwhelmed and there's nothing I could say that hasn't been said in previous reviews.

This is very thick, almost syrupy. Actually, it almost feels more like a liqueur than a beer. But the flavor alone is so awesome I could see myself getting into a lot of trouble with these.

I was actually expecting to be disappointed in this, anything that receives so much hype I thought could never live up to it. I couldn't have been more wrong. I have never given a beer a 5.0 rating before and I honestly never thought I would, but this little baby transcends the realm of beer. The only word to describe this thing is... "wow."

Could be one of the best beers in the world. I am not kidding. These guys can make a fantastic beer.

Best dessert beer ever....even better than their Tenacious Cassis.

Served in a snifter....very dark red. Almost blood like...well at $13/ 6 oz I guess it is blood.

The aroma was awesome. The flavor was even better. The beer attacked my senses.

Very little head, and slight legs. But who cares....the flavor was unreal...sweet, bitter and it kept gropwing. Chocolate, Rasberry, slight alcohol but WOW.

Since I had this on VD, it was my present to myself....sorry ladies...BEER wins! Best chocolates EVER!

Very rich and like a woman it makes you want more when you are done. Very smooth and rich, even in the aroma.

A gift to my wife from my good friend Jay23.

2007 vintage poured chilled into a wine glass. Fragrant. A deep, rich, full raspberry flavor, the most authentic and genuine fruit flavor I've encountered in beer, its so real that you can practically feel the delicate texture of the skin of the berry. The chocolate is less assertive than the fruit, but it is clearly evident. Mild dark malt flavor. The caramel is less assertive still. Not very big bodied. Wine-like. The high alcohol content is hidden completely.

This is superior in several respects to the New Glarus fruit beers, which are very good. This is more balanced, more restrained, less sacchariney, and perhaps more complex. Plus its bottle conditioned and not pasteurized.

My main complaint is the small 187 ml serving size, which my wife and I split.

Served in a tulip right at Kuhnhenn in Warren. The color was a dark chocolate brown, with an amazingly creamy, thick head for such a high ABV. The smell was a wonderful mix of raspberry tartness and chocolate richness. The taste was a wonderful mix of the tartness of the raspberry and the fairly sweet chocolatey maltiness....rather than competing with each other, they accentuated each other nicely (like a chocolate-covered cherry), and there was absolutely no alcohol to be noticed whatsoever! Mouthfeel was very rich and thick. As for drinkability, I could have these, especially in the winter, until hell froze over.

This was the beer that I was definitely hoping to get my hands on in Michigan, and thanks to kindness beyond the call of duty from Brett and Eric Kuhnhenn, I was able to go back and split a bottle with my brother, and I was sure glad that I did. For this is truly a world-class beer...just sooo good, so thick and chocolatey and raspberry, and believe me somehow they meld together into such goodness. This may well truly have been my favorite beer in the world, and I would do anything to have this one again.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company