Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Style: Eisbock

Added by marburg on 07-27-2003

Reviews: 449 | Ratings: 1,214
4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

HUGE thanks to StFun for this one! Small bottle. Wow! Nice reddish/brown pour with a very small khaki head that fades. There are a million things going on here! Amazing real sweet and sour raspberry going on with sweet malts, pie spices, crisp crust, and more. Amazing! Wonderful!!!

4.79/5  rDev +9.1%

at room temperature this 2004 vintage pours a deep muddy red with a light tan head. after a vigorous pour the head drops quickly to a ring around the glass. minimal lacing. aroma is huge with cherries, sweet raspberries and a vinous alcohol. after drinking you'll notice a chocolate aroma as well. first sip is incredible. tastes more like cherries than raspberries, but the raspberries are definitely there. tastes like chocolate covered berries with a only hint of well placed alcohol and a nice warming effect at the back of the sip. tingles on the sides and back of the tongue. champagne-like taste and feel. sweetness is counterbalanced by a touch of unripe cherry bitterness. little to no hop character. the mouthfeel is a nice, almost fluffy medium body with just the right amount of carbonation. despite the high abv, the alcohol is well hidden, but rears it's head at the perfect times. easy to drink, but the burn and warming effect keep you slowly sipping. paired absolutely deliciously with some belgian chocolates. (the darker the better) overall, this brew comes with a lot of hype and doesn't disappoint. coming from someone who doesn't generally enjoy fruit in his beer, this is simply delicious and an absolute must try.

4.79/5  rDev +9.1%

Have been wanting to "tic" this off my most desired list for some time. So many thanks to Ben (GormanB) for the chance to finally try this beauty.

The label lists the brewed date (2007) and release date (12/10) on the label. Trying to remember the last brewery I encountered that had a 3 year old beer as their current release.

The beer pours a gorgeous rose, raspberrry coolaide color into my corsendonk chalice/tulip. There are hints of amber among the rose/raspberry color as well, and the beer shows pretty good head retention and decent lacing. On the nose... my, my, my... the aroma profile is just gorgeous, with raspberry (quite a bit of it), chocolate caramel, roses and tootsie roll. This beer just smells like the epitome of beer dessert (perhaps the Yquem of beerdom? if not that, certainly the Beaume de venise). The flavor profile is every bit as good, and might be even more complex, with an intensity of flavor that is astonishing. In any event, I get heavy cream, caramel and milk chocolate, along with everything I noted previously in the aroma profile. There's also a hint of bitterness in the finish, which helps to buoy all the sweetness. Sooo goood. Mouthfeel is full, with a long, sweet, rich, chocolate and fruit infused finish. Yet despite its richness, this beer is not at all cloying or otherwise heavy on the palate. I do get a sense that the alcohol is up there a bit in this one, and so I guess I wouldn't want a whole lot of this, but it was so delicious... it was hard to refrain from just gulping it right down. Also, while there is a slight sense of heat from the alcohol in the finish, given the sweetness and 13.5%, that's kind of expected. The label does not list the abv., and I figured it was in the 9% or 10%, but nothing like the 13.5% I see now. Also have to say that I really love how the raspberry flavor really goes on and on in the finish, yet never seem overdone or excessively sweet.

Absolutely superb and clearly a brewing tour de force. Excellent stuff.

4.79/5  rDev +9.1%

2007 vintage. Released at the 2010 Winter Solstice I do believe. Thanks to normyk once again for an excellent brew. You're too kind, Will! Split with my girlfriend and served in a snifter:

A - Pours a rich ruby, golden, mahogany color. No head, only a few bubbles toward the middle. No lacing.

S - Wow! Cheese cake with raspberry syrup. Bits of cherries and strawberries but huge on the raspberries. A bit of chocolate, vanilla ice cream and candy.

T - Raspberry puree, chocolate and pie crust. A bit of a red wine flavoring. Lactose and sugar. Taste largely follows the nose.

M - Really smooth and slightly creamy finish. Really no carbonation. A bit like fruit juice and raspberry syrup combined.

D - This would be a perfect size for one person but since I split it with someone else I wish it was at least a 12 ounce bottle. Really enjoyable! Went down easy. The smell is just outstanding (I almost didn't want to drink it but rather smell it instead.) A wonderful brew and one that I will continue to seek out more of. A must try!

4.79/5  rDev +9.1%

Wow, this is an incredible beer. It has lived up and surpassed my expectations. The bottle I have is from 2004.

This pours dark brown, almost black, with a deep red hue. It has a small tan head with red hues as well that leave some decent lacing around my glass.

The flavor is mind boggling. I expected this to be over the top raspberries but there is a huge chocolate flavor here. It starts with a dark fruit flavor, real thick and syrupy, and then chocolate creeps in there and the two flavors blend to create a port-like taste. The raspberry is in there, I should say there is some chocolate covered raspberry flavor instead. This is by far one of the best beers I have ever had. I must get my hands on some more.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with medium carbonation. Coats the mouth nicely and lets the flavor work your mouth long after the swallow.

This is a pretty drinkable beer for being so strong.

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottel number 41. This review will put over the top and officially make an Aficionado. Can't think of a more fitting beer to do that.

Pours a red-stained chocloate brown color with some streaks of black. Large tan head forms on the pours and evenly dissipates leaving just a fw remnants of scattered lace.
Aroma is a head spinning mix of dark fruit flavors. Raspberry, cherry, plums, currants and raisins all make an appearance with some sticky toffee and chocolate also in the background.
Flavors literally explode in your mouth as the strong raspberry and cassis flavors really grab at your palate. Just strong enough undertone of chocolate and some bitterings to provide a complimentary taste and keeping it from overthe top sweet. It still makes your teeth hurt with the sweetness but just an incredibly well made and delicious beer.
Mouthfeel has a fresh fruit tartness and sweetness about with just enough depth of darker malts to make you know your are drinking a beer. Carbonation level is subtle but appropraite especailly in light of the ABV figure. Just a taste of the alcohol present reminiscent of their Fourth Dementia.
Drinkability is sublime. Believe the hype, this beer is as good a specialty and unique beer style can get. Really awesome job from the K Bros.

4.81/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a deep maroon color, a half-finger of tan head on top, no real lacing to speak of. Looks excellent for the style, basically like a brandy or sherry. Nose is massive malty raspberries, a touch of spice. Dried fruit, maybe prunes. Fantastic aroma to it. Flavor is huge chocolate, a ton of raspberries. Warming alcohol presence, some spiciness. Body is medium, low carbonation, syrupy. Amazing beer - if it weren't for the price tag ($30? and ABV, I'd be grabbing this one all the time.

4.81/5  rDev +9.6%

From my notes taken on 6/23/05...

Well, tonight is my Birthday. As I sit here, 1 year closer to death, what better way to drown my sorrows than in a glass of this fine beer. Big thanks to eyedrinkale for this one!

Poured a hazy brownish-red color with a very small sized off white head. Aromas of chocolate covered raspberries, tart cherries, and other dark fruits. Tastes of tart raspberries, chocolate, caramel, and light alcohol (but no where near the 18%). Very easy to drink. Amazing. I had this one after dinner and what a perfect after dinner/desert beer.

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

A million thanks to marburg for hooking me up with this. Plain brown 12oz bottle. Pours a deep dark brown with dark red hints....no head to speak of on the pour but I imagine a 13.5% eisbock will do that. Big, lovely raspberry aromas coming off this one. Fumes of alcohol come off as well. Deep, dark and fruity...lovely nose on this one! Wow! The fruit still smells fresh and vibrant. Hints of cocoa as well.

First sip is lush with ripe raspberry flavor...hints of random dark fruits meld into the flavor with a nice malty body. Alcohol is there but well hidden for the big abv. Overripe fruit all over the place. Sweetness mixes with bitterness...simply an awesome fruit beer..easily the best I have ever sampled. Caramel tones peek in and out...there's so much going on here it is nearly overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is big and has a syrupy consistency to it. Goes down damn smooth for such a big brew with nice small bubbly carbonation. Very nice! This is an extremely drinkable brew for the alcohol content. Simply an awesome expertly crafted eisbock / fruit beer. I hope I will get a chance to try this one again some day.

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

6.3 Oz bottle Sampled through the efforts of SS 05 BIF and Meathookjones.

2004 vintage.

Pours a hazy thick reddish brown beer.

Smell is very sweet chocolate and caramel and raspberries. Spicy scents of vanilla, black pepper, truffles and cherry on the alcohol fumes. Smells like expensive chocolates.

Taste is lots of raspberries and chocolate with a little tartness from the berries. Super richness here I almost feel like I could eat this as a pudding. I am forced into small sips to savor the flavor of this. Long lasting raspberry flavor that takes a good 5 minutes to die off. The flavor is all chocolate and raspberries here.

Mouthfeel is pudding thick.

Crazy drinkable beer that was the PERFECT beer for Christmas!

2004 vintage.

pours a deep red brown with ruby highlights and a thin very fine head. the head drops to a ring, but rises up again with a gentle swirl.

aroma is fantastic. caramel and dried fruit. raspberry. bittersweet chocolate. toffee. light sweetness.

taste is excellent. moderate bitterness. the great caramel and toffee sweetness from the aroma is there. raspberry. bittersweet chocolate. raisin and date. slightly vinous. just a little alcohol warmth.

mouthfeel is excellent. very fine carbonation. nice body, but without being sticky sweet.

drinkability is great. the alcohol is hidden well. really nice as an after dinner drink. i need to find more of this one.

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

Dark brown with a tinge of red. Small ring and small islands of foam dwindles to tiny bubbles here and there. A couple sesame seed sized sinkers.

A heady smell of dark chocolate and cooked raspberries are tempting in the extreme.

The aroma is almost an invitation to disappointment but I must say that this was everything I thought it could be. Chocolate malted milk with raspberry. Not as intense as the aroma but quite a bit more complex. There is a berry seed bitterness and a tartness that lasts, literally, for hours. Like a mouthwatering SweetTart under your tongue tartness.

Surprisingly medium in body. With so much aroma and flavor, I expected it to feel thicker. Very creamy. Plenty of carbonation tickle to make it even more interesting.

There is a reason that it comes in a 6.3oz bottle. I could not imagine drinking more in one sitting. Even so, it took me over an hour to fully savor it and I still felt like I was drinking too fast. Very enjoyable. Very interesting.

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

03/14/09- Received via a trade with former BA member Jetsbeer.

Presentation- Vintage 2004, smaller 6oz nip sized bottle with a wax coating over the cap and part of the neck. Poured into my JW Lees glass.

Appearance- Cherry-brown colored pour. A wee bit of sediment settles at the bottom of the glass. Seems pretty flat until a late surge of carbonation fizzes into a very small and slight head. Doesn't leave any lace to speak of behind. Not expecting visual miracles of a 5 year old beer of this style and abv.

Smell- At first the scent is a sweet nose of fresh suagred raspberries and cherries. After that, the dark chocolate and roasted malt comes into play. Combined with a slight barrel flavored woodsy taste and a bit of alcohol.

Taste- What a dessert beer this would be. Just like the nose, the raspberries and cherries come in first...very sugary, very smooth and very fresh tasting...no artificial flavors here. Then the large and I mean large dark chocolte flavor comes in and melds perfectly with the berries. Alcohol is present and swirls around with all the flavors. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel- Carbonation is here and is a slight prickly in the first part of the sip and then turns to a lovely silky and smooth mouthfeel with a lasting dark chocolate covered rasperry flavor.

Drinkability- This is a classic beer. One of the most flavorful beers of any kind that I have had. Wish I had some kind of chocolate dessert to go along with this. Wish they would make this in a 12oz bottle.

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Shared with JLindros. 2012 vintage

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a nice crystal clear, if it wasn't so dark, brown hue with no head, though wisps are kicked up when swirled. Awesome legs too.

S - Aromas of raspberry dark chocolate truffle. Toffee caramel, Raspberry puree, glorious chocolate dark and rich, with no heat whatsoever. Uhhh...oh my gosh. Like a raspberry tootsie too...only not awful!

T - Taste is sweet raspberry jam, sticky, chocolate truffle massiveness, caramel, toffee, no alcohol at all really. Holy moly. This is absurd. So much chocolate and raspberry. I can't stress how much raspberry jam and chocolate. A touch on the sweet side.

M - Mouthfeel is silky velvet, no booze. Wow.

O - Overall this beer was even better than my expectations. Mindblowingly incredible with loads of raspberry and chocolate. Never Had anything like this, I'm floored.

Serving type: Bottle

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours like a liquified tootsie pop married with chocolate syrup. Very dark, so much so that I cannot decide if its actually red or brown. The smell is like a tootsie roll and chocolate, and the faintest trace of raspberry. It's SO damned complex that you could absolutely spend your day pondering what exactly those familiar smells are! Just when I figure I can't detect anything else, I get boysenberry syrup.
Boom, chocolate in your face, followed by sweet and slightly sour raspberry, which is almost like a jolly rancher for about a second. Maple syrup trails the rest. In all honesty my mind is in overdrive trying to place all of these amazing tastes, that I truly have never even come close to tasting anywhere else. I truly wish I could drink this all the time, each time spending forever figuring out exactly what these fleeting tastes I am experiencing are. This is easily the most complex beer I have ever come into contact with. The rich full mouthfeel doesn't betray a hint of the high acohol content contained in this miniscule bottle. I certainly could spend an eternity drinking this. An absolutely amazing beer that is a legend for a reason. Many thanks to Northertimber for including this in an amazing trade.

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I first heard about KRE, what, a decade ago? Back when it came in what looked like a perfume bottle. This little fella used to always hover around the top 20 beers on this site, and for some reason it always seemed to me the most elusive even though I lived nearly all my life within a drive of the brewery.

The bottle is pretty. I opened the beer and then maybe 10 seconds later it started to foam up a bit, over the top. Yet the pour glugs out thick and still with not so much as a wisp of a head. It's a nice, very dark red color, though.

Smells like an incredibly dense and chocolately eisbock with some muted raspberries preventing the booze and malt from getting out of hand. Very old school, and done to a T. The effect is undeniably beery and bocky, similar in quality to the big boys like Schneider and Kulmbacher, only with juuuuust enough raspberry aroma to make it super interesting without upsetting purists.

Tastes like it smells. It starts sweet and alcoholic, with thick nodes of barley and chocolate. This gets sweeter still, only more organically so, with fruity raspberry taking center stage. Ends like a good eisbock, with pleasant nodes of burn and chocolate, only the zippy bock malt is enhanced incredibly with lingering traces of raspberry juice.

I--I can understand if newer beer people aren't too horribly impressed with this. Or even anybody whose pallet has been shaped by recent trends. If this were attempted now, well first of all it would never been been an eisbock, and secondly it would taste more directly like a rapsberry cordial candy. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, but we still need to respect that manner in which this beer was incredibly bold and innovative and yet still fit perfectly within the established bounds of its style.

Back in the day, this was how you had to make your beer, as you simply couldn't get away with the intense risks and wild innovations that are now so weirdly commonplace. All y'all who are fans of extreme styles need to bow before this one.

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

6.3 oz bottle. 2004 Vintage.
Figured it'd be a good one to try for review #200.

Pours darker than I expected...deep garnet color. Leaves a shadowy head skimming over the top of the brew. Aroma and taste are complex..the two main flavors are rich chocolate and berries (raspberry, one would assume), but I definitely think I tasted some mulberry and blackberry as well. Unlike the (in)famous Sam Adams Triple Bock (and similar high alcohol brews) I could have drank this entire bottle in a few seconds...it's that easy to drink, and that damn good.

It was enjoyed tremendously at room temp...I really don't think this beer would taste bad ice cold, or if it sat out in the sun for 2 days. It's just an incredible tasting and well-crafted brew in all aspects. Not too tart, not too sweet, just...yeah. The bottle was gone way, way too soon. I'm positive I could drink a 500ml bottle myself, it's got tremendous drinkability for such a big beer. Maybe someday I'll get my hands on one of those beauties. I was not expecting a beer this experimental to be this good...but it had no problem living up to my expectations.

Thanks to walleye for giving me the chance to try this amazing, unique brew.

4.84/5  rDev +10.3%

I've been hanging on to a few of these bottles for special occasions. Decided to pop one with the recent birth of my new baby daughter.
Appears a dark, turbid brown with a ruby hue when held up to the light. The tiny, off white head quickly fizzles out into a collar that also fades out into this special brew.
Smell is better than anticipated. Rich, malty, chocolaty fudge with brown sugar, caramel notes, vanilla, and a heavy drizzling of a thick, raspberry reduction infused with cocoa powder.
Taste is of the same outstanding aromatics, making this a winner among many winners. Flavors are of a confectioner's heaven that combines the sugary notes of cocoa, brown sugar, caramel, vanilla, and raspberries that have been flambed with an alcohol blend highlighted with Rum. This is like an after dinner brandy, or cognac.
Mouthfeel is rich, smooth, balanced with the sugars, and non-cloyingly delicious.
Jesus God...if this is what heaven is, I'll make a concerted effort to get my ass to church more often. This is heavenly and addictive. Kuhnhenn is set to take over the world 6.3 oz's at a time! F'in great stuff.
Thanks to walleye for supplying this.

4.84/5  rDev +10.3%

A 187ml/6.3 oz red wax topped green bottle with a vintage date of 2007. This batch clocks in at 11.9%

A-Hazy, brownish ruby copper with a thin light tan ring that develops with a swirl. At almost 12% ABV I am not surprised at the lack of head.

S-Big fruity raspberry tartness with a deep and complex chocolate maltiness underneath. Kind of like a raspberry port.

T- Bold, assertive, raspberry tartness with the underlying complexity from the rich chocolate malt. Not too tart nor too sweet. A masterful balance that ends with a flurry of alcohol burn.

M-Medium-light body with a smooth, supple feel that is very nice. A touch of biting tartness and dark chocolate bitterness in the finish.

D-James, where is my smoking jacket and Monte Cristo? This is decadent stuff that makes you feel rich! I understand why they deliver it in such tiny bottles. I think if you drank too much your palate would explode!

2004 bottle

Appearance: After exploding from the bottle, pours a hazy black cherry soda color with a head that quickly disappears to a ringlet

Smell: Intense chocolate covered cherry aroma

Taste: The raspberry liquid filled chocolate candy literally coats the tongue and builds in a subtly sour direction by mid-palate; the sour complexity lingers after the swallow as the rich chocolate flavors build in intensity to the finish, which lasts forever

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous, with modest carbonation

Drinkability: A fantastic sipper that I could enjoy for hours in small doses

2004 Vintage:
6.3 oz green bottle sealed with red wax. This poured with a thin cream-coloured head that settled into a long lasting ring. The beer is a clear, ruby-chestnut colour, a nice combination of red and brown hues. It even looks thick in the glass and there's a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. It smells and tastes exactly like a fruit-centered chocolate. Chocolate and toffee combine masterfully with the tart raspberry character. Quite thick and completely coats the palate. Fruit and toffee all the way. The acidity level provides enough tartness to balance out the sweetness and there seems to be a complete lack of hop bitterness or flavour. Caramel is more evident towards the end. It also has a lingering finish with the tartness coming forward, but the sweet toffee never disappears. Just a bit of alcohol warmth in the finish. Low carbonation, a bit syrupy but not cloying. Definitely a sipping beer. I could drink this one all night, just slowly.

4.84/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lucky enough to be in Detroit for work and they still had this on tap. Poured into a small wine glass.

It pours a clear deep red with brown hues and a thin tan head that quickly fades. The smell is amazing. Cocoa nibs and and fresh raspberries. I couldn't stop smelling it. The taste is even more impressive then the nose. It taste like fresh chocolate covered raspberries. I'm not sure how the keep the raspberries from tasting like a syrup and being overly sweet. The body is medium thick with medium carbonation and a sweet but not cloying finish. This is with out a doubt one of the most incredible beers I have ever tried. I'm really happy I was able to try some and really glad I made the choice to spend the money to try it. Easily one of the most unique beers I have ever tasted.

4.85/5  rDev +10.5%

500ml bottle that really reminds of the Sam Adams Utopias bottle...only more plain. 2004 batch. Monstrous, epic thanks to AKSmokedPorter, and, more importantly, a certain BA who will be thanked indirectly for getting this to AKSP.

A: A satisfying "pfft" upon opening the aged bottle. Poured a few fingers into my Samichlaus snifter. Stunning chocolate-infused amber in color. Tight, tight layer of coffee-froth-colored head. Tiny beads of lace slowly glide down the sides of the glass after each sip...to be consumed again by the now wispy-thin layer.

S: Tootsie Roll raspberry sucker. That's what I smell. Dead, spot on. An amazing layer of chocolate-toffee mixed with T-O-N-S of freshly ground berries. Woven into the supporting fabric is a boozy/brandy-like aroma, drizzled with loads of caramlized sugar. "Fresh" is an understatement.

T: Quite sweet up front. This is quickly brushed aside by an avalanche of berry flavor. It's amazing to experience the onslaught of such a fresh-tasting raspberry flavor, almost as if the berries were put in the bottle just before opening. Swift notes of Heath bar rise to the challenge of the boatload of raspberry puree` on your palate. Finishes rather dry, with a kinda "raspberry seeds in your mouth" aftertaste, accompanied (briefly) by a slight warming ABV. Simply amazing.

M/D: 13.5% ABV. No way. Cloaked in the flavor is the alcohol with this one. Dangerously drinkable. This is lasting me all through the Sox-Yankees game, hopefully enough to drown out Chris Berman. My palate is completely covered by this thing. I feel as though I could cut it with a knife. One-of-a-kind. And (more than likely) a once-in-a-lifetime experience (one I'll not soon forget).

6.3 oz bottle (unfortunately shared) poured into our snifters:

A: Grade "A" maple syrup with crushed red raspberries, crowned with a light glowing honey. This beer almost has a layered effect to it. Absolute no head or lacing, just delicate bubbles grazing the edge of the surface.

S: Warm raspberries and cherries drizzled with chocolate and caramelized brown sugar. All sitting atop a Belgian waffle drenched in maple syrup. Yummmm....

T: Ripe and unripened raspberries up front with a caramel backbone. The ABV goes undetected all the way through. Leaving you with a consistent flow of sweet chocolate, and maple goodness. The aftertaste is of burnt toffee and more raspberries.

M: Thick, syrupy, smooth with no carbonation.

D: For having such a high ABV of 13.5% it goes unnoticed throughout the entire consumption of this beer. Splitting this 6.3oz bottle was the biggest tease ever, it was gone before we could say goodbye....

Recommended pairing: Homemade fudge

Cheers,

The Kings Of Hop

4.85/5  rDev +10.5%

Huge thanks to glazeman for hooking me up with this one - one of my big wants that I never thought I would have an opportunity to try. Poured into a snifter from the cutest little 6.3 oz. bottle.

A - This beer looks gross - just what I was expecting for the elusive Raspberry Eisbock! Looks like a cross between melted caramel and dirty sewer water. No lacing, no head, no legs.

S - One of the best smelling beers I have ever experienced. raspberries, marshmallow, caramel, booze.

T - Truly delightful. Raspberries, chocolate, marshmallows, bubble gum, after dinner candies, and alcohol. Sweet up top and very sour at the end. Perfect.

M - Sticky for sure, but not necessarily thick. Just the right amount of carbonation that allows the tart raspberries and caramelized sugars to touch the roof of the mouth.

D - I could drink this one all day. The alcohol is barely noticeable, the taste is crisp and sweet at the same time, and the aroma is just heavenly.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company