Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Style: Eisbock

Added by marburg on 07-27-2003

Ratings: 1,269 |  Reviews: 459
3.47/5  rDev -20.8%

2007 nip bottle courtesy of Matt. I have been saving this for the right moment and opening night of the NFL and the eve of my first full solo day as a SAHD seem to be just that moment. Thanks Matt for the opportunity!

Into a champagne flute pours a deep and slightly murky ruby red with shades of dark purple. Nary a bubble is seen when backlit and no indication of head shows upon the surface.

Huge seedy jammy raspberries on the nose. Hints of blueberries and blackberries as well. Medley of sticky fruits melds with rich melted milk chocolate and brown sugar. The immediate whiff of alchol that erupted from the bottle upon opening seems to have abated after sitting a few minutes. In fact, there's little indication of the immensity of this beer.

Raspberry is sweet and tart up front and syrupy. As soon as it hits the middle of the tongue, the massive tootsie roll wall wraps around the fruit and carries it like a wave to the finish. Chocolate and an odd, slightly rotten food taste show on the finish.

Carbonation is, eh, low. Body is very syrupy.

I enjoyed this less as I got deeper into the bottle. Not so much for the sweetness, but for the fairly gross off flavor that pops out at the finish. While unique and interesting, I'm not sure I would go out of my way for this given what it might take to land it. I'd recommend splitting your bottle and hoping that this beer hasn't somehow taken a downturn after five years. An interesting try, but likely not worth the effort.

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

great smell, but tastes like overly boozey fruit punch

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

Excellent eisbock but I'm not a fan of the style.

Too thick and cough syrup. Not what I expected

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

Tastes like raspberry jam with an injection of booze. Decent but highly letdown by this one.

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

2007 bottle thanks to my Secret Santa. Pours brown with just a ring of white head. Aroma is like a raspberry filled brownie with some boozy notes too. Flavor of medicinal raspberry with a chocolatey finish. Also some prunes and raisins. Top fruit beer? Not for me.

3.57/5  rDev -18.5%

Picked this up in a trade thanks to MasterSki.

A: Blah looking brownish red color with virtually no head.
S: I guess this is raspberries that I'm smelling, but it's a little off, and off-putting. Sweet toffee-like tones in here too. Very pungent.
T: Raspberry, caramel, toffee. Very sweet.
M: Pretty thick body, very little carbonation.
D: Low. As the bottle notes, this is a dessert beer.

3.57/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm sorry, kids, but I just didn't get this one. Hot, malty syrup...like a raspberry soda that had been left in the car with the windows rolled up on a hot summer day, for a week...virtually no carbonation either. Maybe I had a bad bottle?

3.58/5  rDev -18.3%

Split a bottle of this with slander and schoolteacher at Spuyten Duyvil. Yes, we each had a serving the size of a brandy pour, which is appropriate for this beer. Didn't take notes, but didn't need to. Taste it once, and you remember it forever. Glowing deep red, no head... OK maybe a little head. Smells like a fresh raspberry harvest, as if you were stomping around in a vat of raspberries and the aroma were permeating your senses. Tastes like a red velvet raspberry cake with chocolate truffles, or perhaps like one of those Jacques Torres chocolates filled with raspberry puree. In fact, put this inside of chocolates, and they'd sell like hotcakes, I bet. I found the taste to be a bit too much like a raspberry cordial, and not enough like a beer, but unique nonetheless. The mouthfeel is quite remarkable -- "pillowy" is the first word that came to mind. Just so soft in the mouth, almost makes you think you're eating a piece of cake. An after-dinner sipper to be sure, not drinkable by any means. If you had any more than the small bottle of this at a sitting, I predict a big headache for you. I would love to be able to revisit this one in, say, about 10 years.

3.58/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a deep red-brown with no head and no lacing.

Scent is ok with raspberry initially coverd with brown sugar carmelized raisins and bread pudding. It all comes together to form a scent alongside the alcohol.

Taste is huge and bready with a red raspberry center then alcohol then raspberry again to finish it all off, but the alcohol is hidden in there somewhere. The carmel flavor holds on for quite a while. At 13.5 the alcohol really doesn't stand out all that much.

Mouthfeel is a bit thinner than I would expect from the taste and the smell, smooth but still on the medium side. The carbination seemed just about right.

Drinkability is easy to define, good. I am somewhat impressed with the hiding of the alcohol.

Note: This beer was 12.59 for 6.3 oz. I liked it ok, but at that price sadly, I won't be having another.

3.6/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured from tiny bottle dated 2004. Bought directly from the brewery in Warren, MI.

Color is deep burgandy, almost no head on top. Smells like raspberry mostly.

Taste is hard to describe. The raspberry juice flavor is there, but the background beer taste is difficult... I didn't like it all that much. But my wife loved it so it's hard to rate. Tasted like raspberry and dark chocolate with some alcohol mixed in. Some malt flavor but no hops.

Try it once if you must. I only tried it because it was so highly rated on BA.

3.62/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mmmm. so this BA classic was one of the tried out beers at the RnH this afternoon.

Served in a tiny chalice sort-of cup, the tap pour was essentially headless and served to the very limit. Opaque and rather purplish black.

Smell may be the most generous bit of it. very frutti di bosco throughout, and it doesnt take a full nose dive to point it out. sweet to slightly astringent and if anything, strong.

Taste wise, however, this was disappointing. the overall feel is juicy- as in, the sweezed produce of the fruit. however, it is abundant, if not artificial. rather feels like a concentrate. plus the feel is fairly thin, and seemingly refreshing if not for how alcoholey and sugary it is.

Overall this is certainly not my top of the class. The beer may well not be bad but it does give off an artificial feel to it. Not my pint of beer.

3.62/5  rDev -17.4%

I believe thanks goes to randalld for this one. It's been in the cellar so long I simply can't remember. Bottle shared with another like minded BA.

2007 vintage

A: Dark plum red brown. No head, no lace. I certainly wasn't expecting any. Looks like melted chocolate syrup.

S: Wow! Super sweet raspberries and chocolate. I didn't realize there would be this much chocolate. That's pretty much all I can say. Just diabetically sweet syrup. No heat so that's a plus.

T: Pretty much more of the same. Super sweet chocolate and raspberries. That's it. This song is two notes. No room for anything else. Just a touch of heat. I suppose thats what three plus years will do.

M: Thick chewy body. Devoid of all carbonation.

D: Overall I guess I didn't know what to expect. I assumed it would be more raspberry and not as sweet. I'm actually glad I shared this. More than 3-4 ounces would have been way too much. Glad I had the chance to try it.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company