Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Style: Eisbock

Added by marburg on 07-27-2003

Reviews: 449 | Ratings: 1,215
4.64/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a bubble-less, murky, brandy red-brown into a snifter. No head, and with it, no lace. A bit of a swirl leaves a sticky sheet on the sides of the glass. Viscous as hell. This beer has one of the best fragrances I have smelt in my life. And i'm not just talking about beer. The raspberry, yes, but throw in plum, currant, cocoa, cinnamon, and a multitude of others I can't quite put my finger on. The flavor is equally glorious, with the raspberry and cocoa being the dominant flavors, with dark fruits and spice galore. The booze is there, but not nearly what you'd expect from an ABV this high. Amazing complexity. Mouthfeel is as viscous as it looks, thick and juicy. A serious sipper, I fully understand why this comes in a 6.3 oz bottle. Too much of this stuff could kill a moose.

Overall, a fantastic and unique beer. More along the lines of a cordial or liquer, this is made to be sipped slowly and savored.

4.44/5  rDev +1.1%

Vintage 2004

Pours absolutely still, with a mahogany body and crimson hues. Perfectly clear, as I managed to catch the dregs.

Aromatics are pungent, fruity, and earthy.
Loads of Port essense, vanilla, and raspberries. A hint of oak pulls through the boozy character. Tannic and concentrated in nature, with a balsamic nod. The vanilla is really a nice touch.
Intense and reminiscent of Earthmonk and Cuvee de Tomme.

Medium bodied, but chewy and tacky. Slicky from the lack of carbonation and high gravity.

Booze-laden raspberry juice starts the pallet, along with Madiera wine and cherry pits.
A tartness steps forward, and intense red fruits follow. Hints of cranberry, red Zinfindel, and earthy cedar linger.

Finishes with concentrated red fruits, port, bourbony fusels, and a light tartness.

Quite different from what I was expecting.
The brew is very dry, not sweet, and certainly not overwhelmed with Raspberries.
Plenty of intense red fruits, vineosity, and tartness.

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

I've wanted to try this for quite some time but for many reasons I've never managed to get one of these bottles. Kudos to barefootbrewer for sending me a bottle of this fine elixir!

With 186 reviews as of this posting I'll take a different appraoch with this review. I will admit I don't care for raspberries. This beer however is soo good, so balanced, so wonderfully tasting that I have a new found respect for raspberries. So, I would drink this again quite happily, other raspberry creations... eh... I may try but no guaranties.

Get this if you get a chance to try it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

App: Very portlike, dark red(brown) with no head whatsoever and no lacing. It just sat there and looked like dessert.

Smell: Toffee, caramel and definitely tootsie-rolls. There was also some raisin and maybe a little fig that made it seem much more like a port than a beer.

Taste: Very similar to the nose, but the tootsie-roll took awhile to come out, and the raisin was there the whole time. There was a lot of dried fruit essence in this one, and brown sugar. By the end of the glass I was also picking up on a good deal of chocolate toffee.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and alcoholic, just like I like my desserts.

Drinkability: I could easily age this and try it every couple of months. I found it very interesting and could go through 6oz in a visit, but I don't suggest trying more. Definitely a sipper, but can be sipped for a long time.

4.69/5  rDev +6.8%

A : Pours a hazy murky with a thin tan head that doesn't last long

S : Strong raspberry smell with nice chocolate notes.

T : Just like the nose with a really strong raspberry flavor. It's almost what I would imagine chocolate covered raspberries would taste like. There's also some wood characteristics to it

M : Syrupy, good carbonation

D : I'd love to have more. I'm not sure if I could have more than one in a setting but it begs for repeat tastings

3.65/5  rDev -16.9%

a: This was a hazy, dark, murky, brown color with some amber orange highlights. Pours with a thin, short lived, light tan head.

s: Hmmm... not what I expected here at all. Smells like raspberry sorbet and, strangely, grape soda/cough syrup. Perhaps also some chocolate root beer? I'm intrigued.

t: Lots of raspberries here, certainly, but I also taste grapes as well. This has a heavy, dense quality to it. There is some musty, semi-sweet maltiness here as well. The finish is tart, a bit dry, and has a very very faint medicinal quality to it.

m: Thick to the point of being syrupy and quite still.

d: Thanks to TheBlackMallard for this unique oppurtunity. This to me tastes more like a raspberry liqueur than a raspberry beer. Tasty and interesting, this just wasn't for me. Yet another example of how audaciously creative American brewers can be. Keep 'em coming!

4.34/5  rDev -1.1%

2007 vintage obtained at the Kuhnhenn Winter Solstice Party. 11.9% abv.

a - pours a deep dark brown with ruby highlights, smallish off-white head, little retention around the edge, no lacing, fairly clear

s - smells just like chocolate covered raspberries with caramel drizzled over them, hints of alcohol as well, perhaps Chambord

t - just like the nose, milk chocolate covered raspberries all the way, good deal of caramel with some raspberry liqueur on the finish, though it's not barrel aged, I get some woody flavors as well, the booze is very well muted, I would never guess this is 11.9% abv

m - medium-to-full bodied, low carbonation, well-balanced finish, strong alcohol warming

d - definitely an aperitif-like sipper, intensely sweet and malty beer that actually isn't to hard on the palate, I like that they bottle this in the 6 oz. bottles, it's about right

Great, unique beer overall. I wasn't expecting to like this much, but it surprised me. I could definitely see drinking this after a great meal on a cold night. Well worth seeking out a bottle of this gem.

4.37/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Jw347 for this tiny treat!

This is a 2007 vintage 187ml bottle. I put this one in the fridge for about 15-20min before opening it, it was in my closet/cellar prior to that.

Poured into my small 6oz or so snifter. The beer pours a beautiful sanguine color, dark violet with ruby edges. A very minimal amount of bubbles formed as I poured, then all was still.

The aroma is very fruity and bread-y. Immediately I detect some raspberry juice and other berries, fruity alcohol, and a hefty, doughy, bread like aroma. It literally smells like a berry flavored hard candy. All I can say is wow! There's also a subtle, very soft, aroma of chocolate, like a raspberry truffle. After a sip or two I can detect caramel in both the flavor and aroma.

The flavor! Oh my! I think I just wet my pants. Sweet raspberries upfront, the berry flavored hard candy is there as well, alcohol, caramel, chocolate, and a warming alcohol sensation as it passes through the palate. One of the best dessert beers I have ever had. Maybe a tad medicinal at one point but this is really good stuff.

At first it seems like it will be a bit syrupy, and it is a tad on the thick side, but the low level of carbonation makes it quite smooth. Drinks pretty easy but this is definitely a sipper and a dessert beer.

4.17/5  rDev -5%

6 oz bottle.

A - Reddish brown color with just enough of a head to know it's beer. The head goes away quickly.

S - Desert! Chocolate, toffee, raspberry, & booze. Sign me up.

T - A massive rich chocolate & toffee sweetness with the slight tartness of raspberry.

M - Thick, smooth & creamy.

D - This is a rich beer. 6 oz is good serving size. This could even be split with 2 people

I enjoyed this beer way more than I thought I would. Major props to Kuhnhenn for their "out of the box" approach here.

This is a desert beer perfect for after a meal along side some ice cream or chocolate desert of some sort.

1.56/5  rDev -64.5%

2007 vintage.

I certainly never wanted to contribute the lowest score to this beer. It pains me that I have to, since I had such high expectations for it. But I have to be honest as well.

A- nothing wrong here, a dark red liquid, nothing special.

S- Definitely not what I expected here. I didn't necessarily think it would be ALL raspberry, but this smell just threw me for a loop. It was interesting yet weird. Smelt like some really deep caramel, chocolate, and fruit all mingling together into a really weird combo. It kept making me want to smell it actually, but I didn't really enjoy it.

T- This was perhaps the worst tasting beer I've ever had. If I didn't know it was a raspberry beer I might not have even picked it out in the flavor. I was expecting this to pack a raspberry punch at least on par, if not exceeding New Glarus' Raspberry Tart. Huge letdown here. But I know they were trying to go for a whole dessert sorta thing here with chocolate, caramel, and raspberry flavors. The taste was so weird and unusual that I can't even describe it. And I don't want to taste it anymore to try and describe it.

D- Couldn't even finish this. Drain pour for both me and my friend. Sad, because I've been wanting to try this for so long, seeing as how so many people like it, how could it be bad? Well I guess now this is the second lesson I've learned in that regard, the first being Dark Lord.

3.39/5  rDev -22.8%

Thanks to my buds at DLD 08, I finally get to try this rarity! Thanks, buds!

*2007 vintage, 11.9% listed abv

Pours from a puny 6.3oz bottle into my goblet. I really really wanted the phat lookin' bottle in the profile picture, but alas! Was not to be. They're using these diminutive green bottles now, complete with HP printer labels and red wax seal. Cute. Oh yeah, the beer is nearly flat, dingy red, and the head eventually fades to nothing.

Smells a bit... oxidized? Hmm. Not too auspicious. After that, fruit-must, dirty earth, chocolate, tootsie rolls and yes, raspberries. I was surprised by the chocolate character here, and was expecting more fruit... the booze, ah yes, comes through nicely. It's all pretty smoothly blended at 55 degrees.

My, what have we here? Tart raspberries and cocoa abound, but I suppose I was expecting more sweetness... it's boozy and earthy and fairly aggressive. This little bottle packs a wallop. Maybe it's because I've recently had Raspberry Tart, but this is a bit of a letdown... the booze gets in the way of the flavor and the chocolate comes on too strong. Hm.

Mouthfeel is dry with mid-low carbonation and finishes earthy berries and tart with a smack of alcohol. I hate to say it, but the aftertaste was not entirely pleasant. Maybe the recipe has changed over the years?

I have to admit that this was a letdown. I was hoping for a highly sweet, delicious dessert beer and instead got assaulted with an alcoholic chocolate-tart thing with raspberries that kicked me around as I tried to get up. I'll try it again, but please don't crucify me for the low score... please? Now where did I put that DFH Fort?

3.4/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks hoppymeal for this one. The very small capped bottle was poured into a tulip.

It is a reddish tinted brown, with little to no head. Aroma is mostly alcohol and raspberries, with some sweetish malts underneath it, but not a lot more I could tell.
Medium bodied, and hot. Raspberries abound, but the alcohol is still the predominant taste. Not puckering or tart, just somewhat fruity.
I have to give this one more shot, perhaps a bit colder than I had this one, but as it stands, it was the biggest disappointment I had so far from the top 100 list. Good, but just good. Not worth the price tag.

4.11/5  rDev -6.4%

2007, poured into a snifter at cellar temp

A - Dark ruby/near black with a slight 1 finger head that dissapears almost immediately.

S - I can smell this puppy from a few feet away. Obviously raspberry, but raspberry jam, raspberry juice, raspberry-ness. Wine. Tootsie roll. RASPBERRY TOOTSIE POP! Maybe a slight underlying malt and a fruity yeast playing second fiddle.

T - Another of Kuhnhenn's brews that really almost transcends the beer category. Major raspberry and dark berry juice, like a dessert. Impressive. Hot on the pipes, and will get better with age.

M - Syrupy, thick, slightly carbonated. Almost sticky.

D - It's good for after dinner, as a dessert. It's high abv and utterly overwhelming flavors limit what could potentially be a world-class drinker. The definition of sipper.

Notes: I've never brought a bottle home for myself to try but have had it in the brewery a couple times. This time is no different... it's great for what it is, which is a special occasion brew, or pairing brew. Regardless, the 6.3 oz bottle is plenty.

After having some of Kuhnhenn's wine, this is almost more reminescent of some of their sweeter reds. Frankly, it's worth a try because there's nothing else like it, but I prefer Tenacious Cassis to this.

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a 2007 vintage bottle into a flute.

I tried this two different times, one week apart. I must say that my first tasting left me somewhat disappointed vs. the incredible hype that this beer receives. I thought that it was very good but not exceptional.

As I had a # of beers the first time I tasted it, I tried another bottle one week later without having a # of beers behind me already when tasting. I also allowed it to warm a bit before tasting.

Rich brown color with minimal head and lacing. The taste is a rich caramel flavor without an overpowering taste of rasberry. Some rich ripe fruits come through with a warming finish at the end.

On the second time through, I really, REALLY enjoyed this beer. You want more of it but unless you are willing to shell out $30 for 2 bottles, you have to make due with just one.

I am already looking forward to pulling these out of the cellar for X-mas Eve and NY Eve this year. A really fine beer that is worth trying. Enjoy.

4.71/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Not a real site to be honest with you. Pours a reddish brown hue with a very wimpy head.

S: The appearence left me wondering, but at first whiff I knew I had a winner. Holy shit this one is beautiful. Think freshberries drizzled with caramel and hot fudge. I have not had a dessert in quite sometime with an aroma this wonderful.

T: After smelling this one, I had to dive in and give it a sip. WOW!!! I have had eisbock's before and I was some what luke warm to them. Well this is a totally different. The flavors are some of the most complex I have ever tasted. Think Fresh Ripe Indiana Raspberries, Wonderful Creamy Caramel, and the Best Belgian Chocolate known to man mixed together and put in a bottle. That is what this one is. Soo complex, soo wonderful, soo good. The flavors are so dynamic yet seperate. They do not compete with each other at all.

M: Thick and syrupy with ample carbonation.

D: Very little indication of the ABV. The flavor makes you wish this one came by the bomber.

Overall: This is one had I been after for quite sometime. I was glad to acquire it, and even happier with the first taste. The flavors and aromas are hard to beat. Most brewers out there try to replicate world class brews. There is a reason no one else it putting out something like this one. This beer is world class and can not be duplicated. No doubt about it this is one of the best beers in the world. Kuhnhenn hit a grand slam with this one. GET IT AT ANY COST!!!

4.84/5  rDev +10.3%

2004 bottle

Appearance: After exploding from the bottle, pours a hazy black cherry soda color with a head that quickly disappears to a ringlet

Smell: Intense chocolate covered cherry aroma

Taste: The raspberry liquid filled chocolate candy literally coats the tongue and builds in a subtly sour direction by mid-palate; the sour complexity lingers after the swallow as the rich chocolate flavors build in intensity to the finish, which lasts forever

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous, with modest carbonation

Drinkability: A fantastic sipper that I could enjoy for hours in small doses

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%

A-Poured into a tulip out of a 6.7 oz bottle from the 2007 stash. Pours a dark brown almost burgandy color with no head or carbonation present.

S-has a very rich smell, of chocolate, alcohol and malt.

T-a truely one of a kind beer, almost like a cognac with less alcohol. The alcohol does come through, but overall its a chocolate flavor that prevails with hints of raspberries.

M-a thick smooth beer. The mouthfeel can really be appreciated as it warms, almost syrup like.

D-A great beer, nothing that I would drink a large amount of, but very good none the less. Hard to believe that this beer is considered to be a relative of the common lager.

4.17/5  rDev -5%

2007 vintage, poured from a 6oz bottle. It pours a dark brown with reddish highlights, and a light layer of foam on top that fades to the center. Smell is of chocolate covered raspberries. Rich and sweet. Taste follows suit, with an intense raspberry flavor dominating, mixed with some chocolate, caramel, and sugary sweetness. This is definitely a dessert drink. Mouthfeel is thick and rich, almost no carbonation whatsoever. As I'm not a huge fan of raspberry, this brew doesn't do a lot for me, but I do have to say it's incredibly well done for a raspberry brew. It's definitely a sipper, and would be a fitting dessert. It's almost drinks like a port would. Quite enjoyable overall.

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

6.3oz bottle obtained via trade with goryshkewych. Thanks for the opportunity... 2007 vintage, green bottle.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a light skim of tiny bubbles over the cloudy orangey brown brew. FIlm of a head shrinks into a small bubble island in the center of the glass, and leggy lace is of the teensy bubble variety. Aroma is leathery and vinous, not as sharply fruity as I experinced int he 04 version. Flavor is sweet chocolate, with fruitiness coming out more and more as time wears on. Alcohol comes hand-in-hand with the raspberry character. Mouthfeel and drinkability are quite good, but this version is just not up to the very high expectations I had. Will have to try again. Glad I still have that little bottle of 04 tucked away in the cellar...

12/31/05 - 4/4.5/5/5/5
6.3oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity... 2004 vintage, green bottle with red wax-dipped cap.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a minimal beige head over clear burgundy brew. What head there was quickly fades into a swirly, uneven layer of small bubbles, and lacing is bubbly and prevalent, considering the head or lack thereof, although it should be noted that the style and abv isn't particularly conducive to head. Aroma is earthy raspberries and chocolate over alcohol. Flavor is incredible, it really does taste like raspberry chocolate sauce, without being cloying at all. Alcohol is well-hidden. Mouthfeel and drinkability are incredible for what the brew is. Amazing. Almost makes one wonder if with a little reduction this would make a great dessert sauce. But experimenting with such an exemplary brew would almost be heresy...

4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

cracked this baby open to celebrate the birth of our first child. Poured a dark crimson red, with a short tan head. some big chunks floating in my glass. Head stays put for the duration and becomes creamier, which is nice. Smells of thick raspberries, notes of chocolate, alcohol obvious but not off-putting. Huge sour raspberry taste, but offset by an equally huge chocolate malt presence that balances it perfectly. Alcohol lends a touch of bitterness to the raspberry. Finish is a nice bitter chocolate with hints of fruit. Thick and sticky, full bodied and decadent. Drinks great, though becomes slightly cloying towards the end of it. I think the bottle size is appropriate, even for splitting between two people.

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours syrupy reddish-brown into a snifter. A modest head quickly dissipates away, frankly, I'm surprised it even appeared at all on a beer this big. Smell is huge on the berries with a strong malty base. Very strong.

The flavour is like drinking malt-infused raspberry mash...sticky sweet with a huge berry presence. Baker's chocolate lingers, and the malts occasionally segue into caramel as well. The highlight is the huge berry presence though. Great stuff.

The mouthfeel, absolutely perfect...extremely sticky and full. Drinkability, in terms of the actual consumption of, fine. I like big beers, I like fruit beers, and I like sweet beers, this delivers on all fronts. It has to be dinged a skosh here because of the price factor though, I won't be rebuying this very often because it is such an expensive brew.

The bottom line: If you like sweet malty beers, and you like raspberries, then Kuhnhenn's Raspberry Eisbock is a must try.

4.64/5  rDev +5.7%

When I first heard about this beer I knew I had to have it. I was fortunate enough to sample it at the 2008 BA EBF and it didn't let me down. I want to thank tayner and mikesgroove for this special treat.

187 mL bottle poured into a snifter. 2007 Vintage.

Pours a dark ruby with a thin layer of brown head that quickly disappears. Tiny bubbles remain here and there with bits of legging when you swirl the glass. Smell is one of a kind. Dark chocolate, ripe raspberries, fresh strawberries, and caramel covered apples. Smooth whip cream and a hint of booze in the nose as well. I could sit here and smell this beauty forever, but that's not what beer is for ;) Flavor is raspberries and creamy caramel, go figure. A very nice blueberry sweetness compliments perfectly. Maple and chocolate syrup combine for even more amazing tastes. The alcohol stings slightly as it flows down the throat, but it's 11.9% people, what did you expect? Mouthfeel is thick and sticky with a higher than expected carbonation. Perfect after dinner treat. What a wonderful beer experience. I urge all BA's to get your hands on this Kuhnhenn gem.

4.25/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to hoppymeal for this one. Vintage 2007.

This one pours a bright strawberry and amber that fades to a peppery yellow and then to nearly clear. No head on this one at all.

Smells of cotton candy, maple syrup, caramels, chocolate and raspberry hard candies from grandma's house with a little bit of alcohol.

Tastes surprisingly thin with a rough cane sugar and a touch of molasses and honey. There's a powerful but delicately smooth alcohol here. Finishes up sweetly with chocolate that melts into thin raspberry hard candies.

Fells light and thin that really helps with the delivery.

A candidate for aging without question. I'd like to be at the next release to pick up a case to slowly sip on over a decade.

4.94/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 6.3oz. bottle with dark red wax around the cap. As I pour this beer I am shocked by the amount of head this beer has, about one finger of even tan head that quickly disapates to just a skim. Body is a blackish red that has hints of brown on the edges when held to light. The nose on this beer is an experience in itself. Tones of chocolate raspberry bon bons, fresh soft toffee and maple poured over Belgian waffles, wow this is amazing. Now to taste. Enters the mouth rich and warming with bold balance of raspberry and coco. An even toffee like richness carries the body of this beer throughout the palate. This beer is like eating the well made masterpiece of a skilled chocolatier. The alchol is listed at 13.5% but it is hard to believe based on how well it is hidden. Mouthfeel is rich and desert like satisfying. This is pure beer drinking heaven even if it is a little sweet for sum, I love it. Easily a top ten favorite of mine.

4.31/5  rDev -1.8%

Looks like a cross between a red wine and cough syrup. No head, no lace. Just a thick syrupy burgandy liquid in the glass.
Smells like chocolate covered raspberries. Mmmmm and yummy.
Very interesting flavor profile. Chocolate covered raspberries. Alcohol kick in the finish. The raspberries add a delightful bitterness and the alcohol add some sharpness and spiciness to the flavor profile.
Mouthfill is thick and syrupy like. Very low carbonated. This beer also has a fullness to it so that the 7oz bottle is enough.
I really like this beer but I think I could only drink one bottle and as a desert beer at that. The serving size is perfect for this beer.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company