Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Style: Eisbock

Added by marburg on 07-27-2003

Reviews: 456 | Ratings: 1,260
4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Weissguy for giving me a chance to try this through a trade. Pours a brilliant ruby and is syrupy and without a head. smells like raspberry chocolate cake with raspberry sauce. Delicious! The taste adds a big caramel finish in addition to the raspberry and chocolate. There is a nice bitter finish to balance the sweetness and the raspberries taste fresh and wonderful. A little hot, but in a nice eau-de-vie way. Very smooth and even somewhat delicate in its mouthfeel. Surprisingly drinkable given the sweetness and high abv. This one I'm drinking is the 2007 and the bottle says it is 11.9%. Very nice!

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Enjoyed back on 888, reviewed from fairly meticulous notes. Shared with SAS, Inflatablechair, and theotherbeerguy.

My share poured into a Chimay goblet... 2007 vintage I scored from Mully back early this year.

Looks thick.. viscous.. very very little carbonation is revealed only when held to a light...

smells exactly like a raspberry cordial... tawny port and chocolate blended with fresh raspberries.

Flavor is exactly like a raspberry coridal.. chocolate.. caramel and berry with touches of a local raspberry brandy... dessert in a bottle.. but a very special dessert that will make you wonder.. "How the hell did they do this?" Savor this one because the bottle goes too quickly.. body is thick and syrupy but in a good way... If I didn't know it was a beer, I would drizzle this over rich vanilla ice cream... Ooooh That sounds good.

I am very happy Matt hooked me up with these... class act trader.

4/4.5/5/4.5/4

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

Many, many thanks to hoppymeal for the bottle. Very much appreciated.

Bottle labeled 2007-11.9% abv

Appearance: It pours a dark, chocolate brown color with a hint red shining through. Pretty impressive color. That's the high point here. There was little to no head formation on this one. There's some brown bubbles that appear, but not enough for a head. Very light to no lacing as well.

Smell: The nose is damn impressive. It starts of chocolaty and sweet. There's a wealth of rasberrry blended in that adds more sweetness. I'm generally not a huge fan of fruity beer, but this one smells nice and it's very unique. It has a faint smell that's somewhat reminiscent of a sour. It's light and clearly secondary to the berry and chocolate aromas, but it's very intriguing. No alcohol is noted.

Taste: The flavor really mirrors the nose very well. Sweet, rich chocolate infused with a wealth of rasberry. It's sweet and very satisfying. This is easily the finest beer I've had with some sort of berry blended in. It really a dessert beer. There is an odd liqueur-esque flavor that I presume was reminiscent of a sour on the nose. It's another fine complement to flavor and overall experience of this beer. Alcohol is slightly noticeable and has a bit of a warming effect. It finishes sweet and just a little bitter.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's full bodied and incredibly smooth. There's very little carbonation giving it a silky feel. Drinkability is good though not spectacular. I've got a 6.9 oz. bottle and that's about all I would do in a sitting. This is a sipping beer that's quite the experience. Definitely not something for heavy or mass consumption.

Rasberry Eisbock's truly a unique and excellent experience. There's really no beer I've to which it can be compared. It's by far the best fruity beer I've ever tried. There's a wealth of flavor and complexity crammed into this 6.9 oz. bottle. I enjoyed every last drop. Highly recommended and certainly a "must" to seek out. Thanks, Derek.

4.59/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottle at the RBSG 08 Grand Tasting. Pours the color of black cherry skin, no head. Aroma is heavenly and port-like, with raspberry puree, vanilla, sherry, and fudge. Flavor is dead-on raspberry hard candy, with chocolate and vanilla accent. Basically like drinking a raspberry cordial milkshake. Long lingering finish demands the next sip. Amazing dessert/nightcap/sweet-tooth beer.

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Appearance - pours a caramel and dark cherry color into a Brand (from Holland) flute. Not much head at first but works up a reverse head of maybe a finger. Fades down slowly and is hanging on quite well despite a mere bottle size of six-ish ounces. Has the beginnings of lacing but the fluid is so thick that the bubbles can't cling to the glass.

Aroma - heavy and sweet, reminds me of that hard candy you get at Christmas that comes in the tin. Some pieces are like wavy ribbon, and there's these pieces that have that raspberry jelly stuff in the middle. This beer smells like the tin, but with an alcohol boost.

Taste - chocolatey, tart raspberry, warm alcohol. For a dessert beer, it is a nice mix of flavors. The aftertaste has a tart, somewhat bitter snap to it, and with increasing abv warmth.

Mouthfeel - medium to thinnish mouthfeel, though it doesn't really look that way. Decent carbonation, but the mouthfeel to me doesn't accentuate the bigness of the beer enough.

Drinkability - a fine beer to have many of (in the cellar, not the belly). Big thanks to JW347 for the trade and the good times at DLD08.

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

2007 bottling:

Pours a cloudy purple-reddish brown mix with 1 pinky of tan head. Average retention and nice lacing. Smells of raspberries, caramel, grapes, prunes, chocolate, and a touch of alcohol. Tastes of caramel, heavy raspberry jelly, chocolate, prunes, brown sugar, and alcohol. Full bodied and syrupy with good carbonation and a great balance between fruits and sugar sweetness. A little high in ABV to enjoy often, but the smaller size of the bottle is perfect for the amount and the excellent flavors make this something I will continue to seek out and enjoy for special occasions.

4.62/5  rDev +5.5%

I received this bottle in a trade about four months ago. I was saving it for a good day, and since this is the last day of my summer vacation - it seemed appropriate.

Aroma - strong caramel, toffee, and raspberry scents abound. I was expecting more of an alcohol smell with a beer of this strength, but it is very subdued.

Appearance - The beer pours out a cloudy, medium leathery brown color with a reddish tint. There is a very thin ring of beige bubbles around the surface of the beer.

Taste - Some great layers of flavor are present. Caramel and toffee are the first things present followed by some tart raspberries and then a bitter alcohol flavor. The raspberries are obviously present but not overpowering. There is a lot of balance in the flavors.

MF - Very full and lush with low carbonation.

Drinkability - Wow this is one great tasting beer! A very pleasing combination of flavors that play very well together. This is like a caramel-raspberry dessert.

4.64/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a bubble-less, murky, brandy red-brown into a snifter. No head, and with it, no lace. A bit of a swirl leaves a sticky sheet on the sides of the glass. Viscous as hell. This beer has one of the best fragrances I have smelt in my life. And i'm not just talking about beer. The raspberry, yes, but throw in plum, currant, cocoa, cinnamon, and a multitude of others I can't quite put my finger on. The flavor is equally glorious, with the raspberry and cocoa being the dominant flavors, with dark fruits and spice galore. The booze is there, but not nearly what you'd expect from an ABV this high. Amazing complexity. Mouthfeel is as viscous as it looks, thick and juicy. A serious sipper, I fully understand why this comes in a 6.3 oz bottle. Too much of this stuff could kill a moose.

Overall, a fantastic and unique beer. More along the lines of a cordial or liquer, this is made to be sipped slowly and savored.

4.44/5  rDev +1.4%

Vintage 2004

Pours absolutely still, with a mahogany body and crimson hues. Perfectly clear, as I managed to catch the dregs.

Aromatics are pungent, fruity, and earthy.
Loads of Port essense, vanilla, and raspberries. A hint of oak pulls through the boozy character. Tannic and concentrated in nature, with a balsamic nod. The vanilla is really a nice touch.
Intense and reminiscent of Earthmonk and Cuvee de Tomme.

Medium bodied, but chewy and tacky. Slicky from the lack of carbonation and high gravity.

Booze-laden raspberry juice starts the pallet, along with Madiera wine and cherry pits.
A tartness steps forward, and intense red fruits follow. Hints of cranberry, red Zinfindel, and earthy cedar linger.

Finishes with concentrated red fruits, port, bourbony fusels, and a light tartness.

Quite different from what I was expecting.
The brew is very dry, not sweet, and certainly not overwhelmed with Raspberries.
Plenty of intense red fruits, vineosity, and tartness.

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

I've wanted to try this for quite some time but for many reasons I've never managed to get one of these bottles. Kudos to barefootbrewer for sending me a bottle of this fine elixir!

With 186 reviews as of this posting I'll take a different appraoch with this review. I will admit I don't care for raspberries. This beer however is soo good, so balanced, so wonderfully tasting that I have a new found respect for raspberries. So, I would drink this again quite happily, other raspberry creations... eh... I may try but no guaranties.

Get this if you get a chance to try it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

App: Very portlike, dark red(brown) with no head whatsoever and no lacing. It just sat there and looked like dessert.

Smell: Toffee, caramel and definitely tootsie-rolls. There was also some raisin and maybe a little fig that made it seem much more like a port than a beer.

Taste: Very similar to the nose, but the tootsie-roll took awhile to come out, and the raisin was there the whole time. There was a lot of dried fruit essence in this one, and brown sugar. By the end of the glass I was also picking up on a good deal of chocolate toffee.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and alcoholic, just like I like my desserts.

Drinkability: I could easily age this and try it every couple of months. I found it very interesting and could go through 6oz in a visit, but I don't suggest trying more. Definitely a sipper, but can be sipped for a long time.

4.69/5  rDev +7.1%

A : Pours a hazy murky with a thin tan head that doesn't last long

S : Strong raspberry smell with nice chocolate notes.

T : Just like the nose with a really strong raspberry flavor. It's almost what I would imagine chocolate covered raspberries would taste like. There's also some wood characteristics to it

M : Syrupy, good carbonation

D : I'd love to have more. I'm not sure if I could have more than one in a setting but it begs for repeat tastings

3.65/5  rDev -16.7%

a: This was a hazy, dark, murky, brown color with some amber orange highlights. Pours with a thin, short lived, light tan head.

s: Hmmm... not what I expected here at all. Smells like raspberry sorbet and, strangely, grape soda/cough syrup. Perhaps also some chocolate root beer? I'm intrigued.

t: Lots of raspberries here, certainly, but I also taste grapes as well. This has a heavy, dense quality to it. There is some musty, semi-sweet maltiness here as well. The finish is tart, a bit dry, and has a very very faint medicinal quality to it.

m: Thick to the point of being syrupy and quite still.

d: Thanks to TheBlackMallard for this unique oppurtunity. This to me tastes more like a raspberry liqueur than a raspberry beer. Tasty and interesting, this just wasn't for me. Yet another example of how audaciously creative American brewers can be. Keep 'em coming!

4.34/5  rDev -0.9%

2007 vintage obtained at the Kuhnhenn Winter Solstice Party. 11.9% abv.

a - pours a deep dark brown with ruby highlights, smallish off-white head, little retention around the edge, no lacing, fairly clear

s - smells just like chocolate covered raspberries with caramel drizzled over them, hints of alcohol as well, perhaps Chambord

t - just like the nose, milk chocolate covered raspberries all the way, good deal of caramel with some raspberry liqueur on the finish, though it's not barrel aged, I get some woody flavors as well, the booze is very well muted, I would never guess this is 11.9% abv

m - medium-to-full bodied, low carbonation, well-balanced finish, strong alcohol warming

d - definitely an aperitif-like sipper, intensely sweet and malty beer that actually isn't to hard on the palate, I like that they bottle this in the 6 oz. bottles, it's about right

Great, unique beer overall. I wasn't expecting to like this much, but it surprised me. I could definitely see drinking this after a great meal on a cold night. Well worth seeking out a bottle of this gem.

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Jw347 for this tiny treat!

This is a 2007 vintage 187ml bottle. I put this one in the fridge for about 15-20min before opening it, it was in my closet/cellar prior to that.

Poured into my small 6oz or so snifter. The beer pours a beautiful sanguine color, dark violet with ruby edges. A very minimal amount of bubbles formed as I poured, then all was still.

The aroma is very fruity and bread-y. Immediately I detect some raspberry juice and other berries, fruity alcohol, and a hefty, doughy, bread like aroma. It literally smells like a berry flavored hard candy. All I can say is wow! There's also a subtle, very soft, aroma of chocolate, like a raspberry truffle. After a sip or two I can detect caramel in both the flavor and aroma.

The flavor! Oh my! I think I just wet my pants. Sweet raspberries upfront, the berry flavored hard candy is there as well, alcohol, caramel, chocolate, and a warming alcohol sensation as it passes through the palate. One of the best dessert beers I have ever had. Maybe a tad medicinal at one point but this is really good stuff.

At first it seems like it will be a bit syrupy, and it is a tad on the thick side, but the low level of carbonation makes it quite smooth. Drinks pretty easy but this is definitely a sipper and a dessert beer.

4.17/5  rDev -4.8%

6 oz bottle.

A - Reddish brown color with just enough of a head to know it's beer. The head goes away quickly.

S - Desert! Chocolate, toffee, raspberry, & booze. Sign me up.

T - A massive rich chocolate & toffee sweetness with the slight tartness of raspberry.

M - Thick, smooth & creamy.

D - This is a rich beer. 6 oz is good serving size. This could even be split with 2 people

I enjoyed this beer way more than I thought I would. Major props to Kuhnhenn for their "out of the box" approach here.

This is a desert beer perfect for after a meal along side some ice cream or chocolate desert of some sort.

1.56/5  rDev -64.4%

2007 vintage.

I certainly never wanted to contribute the lowest score to this beer. It pains me that I have to, since I had such high expectations for it. But I have to be honest as well.

A- nothing wrong here, a dark red liquid, nothing special.

S- Definitely not what I expected here. I didn't necessarily think it would be ALL raspberry, but this smell just threw me for a loop. It was interesting yet weird. Smelt like some really deep caramel, chocolate, and fruit all mingling together into a really weird combo. It kept making me want to smell it actually, but I didn't really enjoy it.

T- This was perhaps the worst tasting beer I've ever had. If I didn't know it was a raspberry beer I might not have even picked it out in the flavor. I was expecting this to pack a raspberry punch at least on par, if not exceeding New Glarus' Raspberry Tart. Huge letdown here. But I know they were trying to go for a whole dessert sorta thing here with chocolate, caramel, and raspberry flavors. The taste was so weird and unusual that I can't even describe it. And I don't want to taste it anymore to try and describe it.

D- Couldn't even finish this. Drain pour for both me and my friend. Sad, because I've been wanting to try this for so long, seeing as how so many people like it, how could it be bad? Well I guess now this is the second lesson I've learned in that regard, the first being Dark Lord.

3.39/5  rDev -22.6%

Thanks to my buds at DLD 08, I finally get to try this rarity! Thanks, buds!

*2007 vintage, 11.9% listed abv

Pours from a puny 6.3oz bottle into my goblet. I really really wanted the phat lookin' bottle in the profile picture, but alas! Was not to be. They're using these diminutive green bottles now, complete with HP printer labels and red wax seal. Cute. Oh yeah, the beer is nearly flat, dingy red, and the head eventually fades to nothing.

Smells a bit... oxidized? Hmm. Not too auspicious. After that, fruit-must, dirty earth, chocolate, tootsie rolls and yes, raspberries. I was surprised by the chocolate character here, and was expecting more fruit... the booze, ah yes, comes through nicely. It's all pretty smoothly blended at 55 degrees.

My, what have we here? Tart raspberries and cocoa abound, but I suppose I was expecting more sweetness... it's boozy and earthy and fairly aggressive. This little bottle packs a wallop. Maybe it's because I've recently had Raspberry Tart, but this is a bit of a letdown... the booze gets in the way of the flavor and the chocolate comes on too strong. Hm.

Mouthfeel is dry with mid-low carbonation and finishes earthy berries and tart with a smack of alcohol. I hate to say it, but the aftertaste was not entirely pleasant. Maybe the recipe has changed over the years?

I have to admit that this was a letdown. I was hoping for a highly sweet, delicious dessert beer and instead got assaulted with an alcoholic chocolate-tart thing with raspberries that kicked me around as I tried to get up. I'll try it again, but please don't crucify me for the low score... please? Now where did I put that DFH Fort?

3.4/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks hoppymeal for this one. The very small capped bottle was poured into a tulip.

It is a reddish tinted brown, with little to no head. Aroma is mostly alcohol and raspberries, with some sweetish malts underneath it, but not a lot more I could tell.
Medium bodied, and hot. Raspberries abound, but the alcohol is still the predominant taste. Not puckering or tart, just somewhat fruity.
I have to give this one more shot, perhaps a bit colder than I had this one, but as it stands, it was the biggest disappointment I had so far from the top 100 list. Good, but just good. Not worth the price tag.

4.11/5  rDev -6.2%

2007, poured into a snifter at cellar temp

A - Dark ruby/near black with a slight 1 finger head that dissapears almost immediately.

S - I can smell this puppy from a few feet away. Obviously raspberry, but raspberry jam, raspberry juice, raspberry-ness. Wine. Tootsie roll. RASPBERRY TOOTSIE POP! Maybe a slight underlying malt and a fruity yeast playing second fiddle.

T - Another of Kuhnhenn's brews that really almost transcends the beer category. Major raspberry and dark berry juice, like a dessert. Impressive. Hot on the pipes, and will get better with age.

M - Syrupy, thick, slightly carbonated. Almost sticky.

D - It's good for after dinner, as a dessert. It's high abv and utterly overwhelming flavors limit what could potentially be a world-class drinker. The definition of sipper.

Notes: I've never brought a bottle home for myself to try but have had it in the brewery a couple times. This time is no different... it's great for what it is, which is a special occasion brew, or pairing brew. Regardless, the 6.3 oz bottle is plenty.

After having some of Kuhnhenn's wine, this is almost more reminescent of some of their sweeter reds. Frankly, it's worth a try because there's nothing else like it, but I prefer Tenacious Cassis to this.

4.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a 2007 vintage bottle into a flute.

I tried this two different times, one week apart. I must say that my first tasting left me somewhat disappointed vs. the incredible hype that this beer receives. I thought that it was very good but not exceptional.

As I had a # of beers the first time I tasted it, I tried another bottle one week later without having a # of beers behind me already when tasting. I also allowed it to warm a bit before tasting.

Rich brown color with minimal head and lacing. The taste is a rich caramel flavor without an overpowering taste of rasberry. Some rich ripe fruits come through with a warming finish at the end.

On the second time through, I really, REALLY enjoyed this beer. You want more of it but unless you are willing to shell out $30 for 2 bottles, you have to make due with just one.

I am already looking forward to pulling these out of the cellar for X-mas Eve and NY Eve this year. A really fine beer that is worth trying. Enjoy.

4.71/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Not a real site to be honest with you. Pours a reddish brown hue with a very wimpy head.

S: The appearence left me wondering, but at first whiff I knew I had a winner. Holy shit this one is beautiful. Think freshberries drizzled with caramel and hot fudge. I have not had a dessert in quite sometime with an aroma this wonderful.

T: After smelling this one, I had to dive in and give it a sip. WOW!!! I have had eisbock's before and I was some what luke warm to them. Well this is a totally different. The flavors are some of the most complex I have ever tasted. Think Fresh Ripe Indiana Raspberries, Wonderful Creamy Caramel, and the Best Belgian Chocolate known to man mixed together and put in a bottle. That is what this one is. Soo complex, soo wonderful, soo good. The flavors are so dynamic yet seperate. They do not compete with each other at all.

M: Thick and syrupy with ample carbonation.

D: Very little indication of the ABV. The flavor makes you wish this one came by the bomber.

Overall: This is one had I been after for quite sometime. I was glad to acquire it, and even happier with the first taste. The flavors and aromas are hard to beat. Most brewers out there try to replicate world class brews. There is a reason no one else it putting out something like this one. This beer is world class and can not be duplicated. No doubt about it this is one of the best beers in the world. Kuhnhenn hit a grand slam with this one. GET IT AT ANY COST!!!

4.84/5  rDev +10.5%

2004 bottle

Appearance: After exploding from the bottle, pours a hazy black cherry soda color with a head that quickly disappears to a ringlet

Smell: Intense chocolate covered cherry aroma

Taste: The raspberry liquid filled chocolate candy literally coats the tongue and builds in a subtly sour direction by mid-palate; the sour complexity lingers after the swallow as the rich chocolate flavors build in intensity to the finish, which lasts forever

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous, with modest carbonation

Drinkability: A fantastic sipper that I could enjoy for hours in small doses

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

A-Poured into a tulip out of a 6.7 oz bottle from the 2007 stash. Pours a dark brown almost burgandy color with no head or carbonation present.

S-has a very rich smell, of chocolate, alcohol and malt.

T-a truely one of a kind beer, almost like a cognac with less alcohol. The alcohol does come through, but overall its a chocolate flavor that prevails with hints of raspberries.

M-a thick smooth beer. The mouthfeel can really be appreciated as it warms, almost syrup like.

D-A great beer, nothing that I would drink a large amount of, but very good none the less. Hard to believe that this beer is considered to be a relative of the common lager.

4.17/5  rDev -4.8%

2007 vintage, poured from a 6oz bottle. It pours a dark brown with reddish highlights, and a light layer of foam on top that fades to the center. Smell is of chocolate covered raspberries. Rich and sweet. Taste follows suit, with an intense raspberry flavor dominating, mixed with some chocolate, caramel, and sugary sweetness. This is definitely a dessert drink. Mouthfeel is thick and rich, almost no carbonation whatsoever. As I'm not a huge fan of raspberry, this brew doesn't do a lot for me, but I do have to say it's incredibly well done for a raspberry brew. It's definitely a sipper, and would be a fitting dessert. It's almost drinks like a port would. Quite enjoyable overall.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company