Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

4.38/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,272 |  Reviews: 461

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This review is from notes taken in the wee morning hours of Sunday 5-19-13, when I was able to get into Kuhnhenn's a little after midnight for my bachelor party. I had a couple things there, but this was the one I had to rate.

It had a reddish brown body with a finger of head. This dissipated into a frothy ring and left light lacing.

I wish I could have smelled it a little better, but I was a little stuffed up from allergies. What I did get was raspberry cream, or some kind of raspberry dessert smell.

The taste was all raspberry. Raspberry cream, raspberry cough syrup, a little bit of booze helping out on that call.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied. It coated the tongue. It was perfect. Refreshing (yes, I said it) while still a tad syrupy.

Overall I wish the allergies hadn't been acting up so I can be sure what I smelled and tasted was accurate. I had to rate it as I perceived it as a rare chance for any Ohioan to do so very often. I was very happy to be there in Kuhnhenn's where so much magic goes down.

3.76/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Shared this bad boy at DLD. 2012 vintage served in a Deschutes snifter.

A: Pours a brownish, reddish color with a pretty still body. No real head forms on the pour.

S: Lots of sweet booze and malt with blast of smashed raspberries. Bready malts make up most of the flavor profile in the nose.

T: Tons of sweet raspberry. Much more than nose conveyed. Very jammy in nature with a little boozy heat. A mild burn is there with a heavy, bready malt profile to back it up.

M: Low carbonation with a chewy texture and mouthfeel. Sweet and hot on the finish.

O: This was good, but it definitely needs some time. The boozy notes are right up front and need some time to settle in.

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 vintage. Thanks to scoot1969 for this long time want! Tulip glass.

A: Pours a garnet color, slight browning on the edges, with very good clarity. Only a few bubbles distinguish it from red wine. No head or lacing. A second, more vigorous pour yields a ring of tan head.

S: Loads of rich, sweet raspberry and dark chocolate. Slight booziness.

T: Mild chocolate mixed with rich, sweet raspberry, very mild tartness. The chocolate is kind of an undertone to the raspberry. A lengthy finish. At the recommended serving temperature (45-55), an alcohol taste is only slightly noticeable, though there isn't a boozy burn or sharpness or anything. No way this tastes like a 15.5% beer.

M: Medium-full body, mouthcoating, and light carbonation which provides some structure. Slight syrupy-ness.

O: Like a raspberry-filled chocolate truffle. Nice digestif. Manages to be sweet but not cloying. If I had any complaints, it would be that the beer leans towards one-dimensional. But it succeeds at what it attempts.

4.84/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lucky enough to be in Detroit for work and they still had this on tap. Poured into a small wine glass.

It pours a clear deep red with brown hues and a thin tan head that quickly fades. The smell is amazing. Cocoa nibs and and fresh raspberries. I couldn't stop smelling it. The taste is even more impressive then the nose. It taste like fresh chocolate covered raspberries. I'm not sure how the keep the raspberries from tasting like a syrup and being overly sweet. The body is medium thick with medium carbonation and a sweet but not cloying finish. This is with out a doubt one of the most incredible beers I have ever tried. I'm really happy I was able to try some and really glad I made the choice to spend the money to try it. Easily one of the most unique beers I have ever tasted.

3.75/5  rDev -14.4%