Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Style: Eisbock

Added by marburg on 07-27-2003

#311

Ratings: 1,273 |  Reviews: 461

Bottled in 2004, this tiny jewel of beer goodness pours a woody, copperish, orange/amber with a very thin pearl head that recedes but leaves some nice walls when rolled in a short taster. Pour this bit of perfection in to a glass suited for sipping.

I have no idea how many beers I've tried, maybe 1,500 to 2,000 or so, and I have never had anything that comes close to this beer as far as aroma is concerned. Sublime, pure and simple. Sweet malty caramel covering warm ripe raspberries. Malty bread-like toffee and molasses; raspberry streusel. Heavily fermented fruit and milk chocolate. The berries never dull and I notice something new with every smell and/or sip. Absurdly complex and decadent. I could barely bring myself to finish the beer for fear I would miss the aroma too much.

The flavor does manage to do the aroma justice some how. Syrupy and sweet with an insanely complex mix of slightly roasted malt, caramel, molasses, crushed raspberries, citrus, a tannin like quality, alcohol, and a bready gluttonous thickness. Decadent and impressively complex. Almost unbelievable. Absolutely ideal; there may be some odd, small characteristic that could be tweaked to make this beer even better; but for now I have no idea what that is. Maybe a larger bottle?

Syrupy, thick, warm decadence. The flavor and body of the beer linger on the tongue, teasing me long after I've finished. I'm fairly sure that they've found a way to bottle Christmas. I'm already jonesing here. It’s difficult to say but I'm fairly sure this is the best beer I've ever had.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company