Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Style: Eisbock

Added by marburg on 07-27-2003

Ratings: 1,265 |  Reviews: 457
3.64/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.65/5  rDev -16.7%

a: This was a hazy, dark, murky, brown color with some amber orange highlights. Pours with a thin, short lived, light tan head.

s: Hmmm... not what I expected here at all. Smells like raspberry sorbet and, strangely, grape soda/cough syrup. Perhaps also some chocolate root beer? I'm intrigued.

t: Lots of raspberries here, certainly, but I also taste grapes as well. This has a heavy, dense quality to it. There is some musty, semi-sweet maltiness here as well. The finish is tart, a bit dry, and has a very very faint medicinal quality to it.

m: Thick to the point of being syrupy and quite still.

d: Thanks to TheBlackMallard for this unique oppurtunity. This to me tastes more like a raspberry liqueur than a raspberry beer. Tasty and interesting, this just wasn't for me. Yet another example of how audaciously creative American brewers can be. Keep 'em coming!

3.67/5  rDev -16.2%

This poured a dirty red to brown in color. The nose showed off lots of chocolate dipped raspberries. This is simillar in the medium-bodied palate that had nice richness. While this was an enjoyable beer, I do not quite get all the fuss. It was well-balanced yet fairly simple.

3.69/5  rDev -15.8%

2004 Bottle

Nice pretty beer that smells fantastic, but is very much a cordial. Treat is that way and you'll be happy, otherwise, your out of luck.

Impressive beer but not something I would drink when I would go to drink a beer. It's a drink in a small glass share with friends after dinner drink.

I don't know if I would go out of my way to find this again, but it was one of those famous beers that 'everyone' seems to think should be tried. So I did, and while I didn't dislike it, it's not my cup of tea...or beer.

3.72/5  rDev -15.1%

Miniature bottles courtesy of my boys SpencerDB, CaptainCougar, anyone else? So we tried 2004 and 2007. The pour is murky, muddy brown with low carbonation. Let me just say that this was not impressive whatsoever. Okay- it’s a slightly raspberry tangy super malt forward barleywine. I mean that is what this is. There is a lot of milk chocolate, raspberry chocolate, and it is just full of toffee. I mean it’s good but nothing that blew me out of the water. And that was the ’04. The ’07 literally tasted like broccoli. So- this is one that I’ll have to revisit. For now- meh. 7/4/6/3/12=3.2

Another 2007 bottle. Pours muddy, reddish brown and completely flat. Excellent aroma that is full of toffee, creme brulee, caramel, chocolate covered strawberries. Taste is tart, light, more raspberry character than I remember. Still thin bodied. 9/4/7/3/13=3.6

Photo of
3.72/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2004 Vintage. This is my second try, as the first bottle was bad. This one may be getting close to turning, but I chose to review it as a warning for others holding the 2004 vintage -- it may not be aging that well.

Hazy, deep burgundy color. Some light penetration, mostly at the edges. No head, no lacing, and, surprisingly, no legs.

Smell is very promising -- chocolate, honey/caramel, and raspberries as well as other dark fruits, such as figs and raisins. Faint hint of vinegar.

Taste departs a bit from smell. Quite tart, mainly the raspberry flavor, but that hint of vinegar comes back as well. Much more tart than sweet, overall. Touch of chocolate, bittersweet. Hint of caramel/toffee/butter.

Medium + body. No carbonation. A bit dry. Very silky/smooth texture.

This bottle was a big improvement over the first one I tried, but still not really my thing. For a fruity beer, this is very well done. For me at least, the smell led me to expect much more from the taste.

3.74/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a flute. Big thanks to OHLRangers for this treat. 2007 vintage.

3.5 A: Opaque deep reddish purple color. No head, but signs of carbonation exist. A bit of particulate junk falls to the bottom.

4.5 S: Strong raspberry as in a reduced raspberry puree. Almost like some sort of liquour, but without the super high alcohol. Surprisingly chocolatey as well. I guess maybe like a highly fruited raspberry chocolate cake. Really nice.

3.5 T: Taste isn't nearly as good as the nose. Tartness from the raspberry is there, but there isn't a ton of raspberry taste (unlike NG RT). Still pretty chocolatety, but not really that sweet, which is disappointing. I was hoping for something really sweet and fruity. A bit too much roasty bitterness as well. Alcohol is well hidden like in most Kuhnhenn brews. While this isn't bad, it doesn't live up to expectations.

3.5 M: Only a thickish medium body. I was hoping for more. Just a touch of carbonation, this would be better with more. Not as creamy of smooth as I'd like either.

3.5 D: Again, this isn't bad, but I was hoping for something really sweet and fruity, like a port or something. The way it is (this vintage anyway) isn't the way I would have envisioned a beer of this nature coming out. I'd love the try the 2004, but I doubt I ever will.

3.74/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to mymrnngjckt for the bottle!

2007 Vintage

Pours a dark raspberry brown with a thin ring of off-white foam. No lacing.

Juicy raspberries and currants on the nose, followed by rich chocolate and caramel. Sweet candy and chocolate. Almost cake-like. Great dessert nose.

The flavor really brings the raspberry fruit flavor to the front of everything, whereas in the nose it was more balanced. Less chocolate and caramel than the aroma, but more dark chocolate. Touch of astringency. Quite fruity with a hint of alcohol. After smelling the nose on this beer, the flavor seems somewhat lacking. Good, but not great.

Mouthfeel is substantial, yet feels bland. Light carbonation, but adequate. Feels like it could use more of something to open up the flavor.

Drinkability is above average. I loved the nose, but the rest of the beer didn't really live up to the hype. It was fun to try, but I wouldn't seek out another.

3.75/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company