Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Style: Eisbock

Added by marburg on 07-27-2003

Ratings: 1,267 |  Reviews: 458
4.91/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

S: amazing raspberry sweetness. nothing pretentious about it.

T: damn! mouthful of that raspberry; it's just sweet enough without being too syrupy, unlike the blueberry counterpart

M: the fruit syrup coat the tongue; the aroma lingers in the cheek, long after you down that last sip from your glass

O: Unless I'm mistaken, KRE is actually better than KBE

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

Amazing. Not much more to say

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

6.3 oz bottle
Served in a snifter
2007
13.8% ABV

L - It is a murky brown color with chunks of yeast in the glass due to a careless pour. There was no head. I got a few tan bubbles along the edges.

S - The first thing I notice is raspberries. It smells like raspberry purée. I also get some milk chocolate. It has some vinous notes. I smell some alcohol, too.

T - The raspberry does not dominate the flavor like it does the smell. The chocolate plays a bigger role. There is a nice balance between the two flavors that are complimentary. The alcohol is warming and barely noticeable.

F - Slick, syrupy, sticky. Low carbonation.

O - This is a nice beer. It is the most I have paid per ounce of beer, but it was three years old when I bought it. It is good. I wish I had twelve ounces to enjoy, but I feel fortunate to have gotten to try it. Good beer to celebrate turning 40.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Tastes like double crooked tree with a hint of pumkin and spice

4.25/5  rDev -3%

4.51/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

An all-time want delivered by my cousin Sonny. I think I remember checking this out back in 2010 and now it is reality. 2012 bottle.

A- 375ml bottle pops with a small hiss and pours with a dark crimson with some brown body. A head immediately seems out of the question and only a tiny ring remains after time. Lacing is not an option here.

S- Raspberry truffles immediately come to mind once I started pouring this brew. Sweet raspberry jam and chocolate make up most of the aroma. Raspberry jam and jelly big time.

T- Raspberry truffles once again with a rich mix of tart berries and dark semi-bitter chocolate. A backing, or base opens up here with spiced raisins, alcohol, caramel and dusty leather coming into play for me. More like juice than tart for me if that makes sense.

MF- Thick and oily slick body with a slightly creamy texture. The carbonation is surprisingly at a medium level providing some relief from the high ABV. Finishes warm but not hot.

Raspberry juice with the feel of a nice berry cocktail atop of semi-bitter chocolate. For 15+% it really doesn't come close to feeling that way. Raspberry truffle beer. Oh my.

4.16/5  rDev -5%