Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

4.38/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,272 |  Reviews: 461
4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Weissguy for giving me a chance to try this through a trade. Pours a brilliant ruby and is syrupy and without a head. smells like raspberry chocolate cake with raspberry sauce. Delicious! The taste adds a big caramel finish in addition to the raspberry and chocolate. There is a nice bitter finish to balance the sweetness and the raspberries taste fresh and wonderful. A little hot, but in a nice eau-de-vie way. Very smooth and even somewhat delicate in its mouthfeel. Surprisingly drinkable given the sweetness and high abv. This one I'm drinking is the 2007 and the bottle says it is 11.9%. Very nice!

4.67/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this little 187 ml bottle.

2007 vintage. The beer pours a hazy brown color with a few bubbles but not real head. The aroma is a mix of brown sugar, chocolate, caramel, maple, alcohol and a little bit of raspberry. The flavor is different, with a ton of fruit and chocolate. This beer tastes like chocolate dipped raspberries. There is also some alcohol in the flavor. The beer is very sweet. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation. Wow, what a beer. So glad I got to try it.

4.91/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.29/5  rDev -2.1%

2004 vintage, 6.3 oz/187ml green bottle, dipped in wax, $9.99 USD!

A: Mahogony/cherry-wood colour. Pours with a hint of tan head, which quickly dissipates. A healthy dose of yeast sediment left in the bottle (which was actually fairly tasty).

S: Raspberry, sherry (winey alcohol, fairly boozy aroma), hint of chocolate and cherries.

T: Sweet/tart balance of raspberry flavour, with a little chocolate & caramel. There's a hint of medicinal flavour similar to cherry caugh-syrup, though surprisingly the alcohol flavour isn't overly assertive. No hop bitterness or flavour.

M: Moderate body is surprisingly dry, though it still leaves a sweet aftertaste. Light to moderate carbonation.

D: It's a sipper.

It's good, but not as great as I expected.

4.25/5  rDev -3%

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a dark reddish brown in color with no head. Fairly cloudy in appearance. Straight up boozy raspberry jam. Damn, only Lone Star would use raspberry.

4.67/5  rDev +6.6%

On Tap at Rattle $ Hum for their K. event. 2007 vintage in a glass.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock fills the glass with a dark shade of blood stain red with some burgundy colors abound. Not alot of foam on top, just some smallish bubbles, no stick.

Smell takes on two forms. This begins with a fresh raspberry scent that is both rich and potent. It's the main scent for 10 minutes or so. I go to the bathroom and come back, now all I can smell is deep chocolate and Raspberry in the back. A boatload of malts are all around.

Taste starts out with raspberry jam/paste/smuckers/puree whatever you want to call it. The description said raspberry juice was added in, either way I like it. This is indeed an Eisbock, a trifecta of malts make for other darker fruits to play, along with a sweet candy/caramel taste to jump in. Chocolate plays a big roll, more than I thought it would.

Feel is a big medium, approaching full. The liquid is semi coating for a few seconds but does not linger to long. Carb is mild and pleasant and holding this big beast down. Sweet but not cloying and not medicinal in any way.

Overall I enjoyed this one quite a bit and having it on tap is something I thought would never happened. It took about 30 minutes or so to down my 12oz's or so, so you cant drink a shit ton of it, but over a few hours damage can be done.

I mixed in some Bourbon Barrel 4th demensia Old ale to my last 5oz's or so and it worked like a charm.

4.79/5  rDev +9.4%

Have been wanting to "tic" this off my most desired list for some time. So many thanks to Ben (GormanB) for the chance to finally try this beauty.

The label lists the brewed date (2007) and release date (12/10) on the label. Trying to remember the last brewery I encountered that had a 3 year old beer as their current release.

The beer pours a gorgeous rose, raspberrry coolaide color into my corsendonk chalice/tulip. There are hints of amber among the rose/raspberry color as well, and the beer shows pretty good head retention and decent lacing. On the nose... my, my, my... the aroma profile is just gorgeous, with raspberry (quite a bit of it), chocolate caramel, roses and tootsie roll. This beer just smells like the epitome of beer dessert (perhaps the Yquem of beerdom? if not that, certainly the Beaume de venise). The flavor profile is every bit as good, and might be even more complex, with an intensity of flavor that is astonishing. In any event, I get heavy cream, caramel and milk chocolate, along with everything I noted previously in the aroma profile. There's also a hint of bitterness in the finish, which helps to buoy all the sweetness. Sooo goood. Mouthfeel is full, with a long, sweet, rich, chocolate and fruit infused finish. Yet despite its richness, this beer is not at all cloying or otherwise heavy on the palate. I do get a sense that the alcohol is up there a bit in this one, and so I guess I wouldn't want a whole lot of this, but it was so delicious... it was hard to refrain from just gulping it right down. Also, while there is a slight sense of heat from the alcohol in the finish, given the sweetness and 13.5%, that's kind of expected. The label does not list the abv., and I figured it was in the 9% or 10%, but nothing like the 13.5% I see now. Also have to say that I really love how the raspberry flavor really goes on and on in the finish, yet never seem overdone or excessively sweet.

Absolutely superb and clearly a brewing tour de force. Excellent stuff.

4.25/5  rDev -3%

4.74/5  rDev +8.2%

My most gratious thanks to Frozensoul 327! Erik, I am in your debt!

6.3oz bottle, 2004 vintage. A thick coating of deep red wax seals the cap. The wax itself smells like raspberries! I saved this, my first time trying the KRE, for a beautiful, warm, sunny Sunday afternoon - March 11, 2007. Earlier this morning the clocks went ahead and we gained an hour of sunlight. The spring is almost here and I've waited very patiently for it. What better way to both usher it in (with raspberries) and usher out the winter (with eisbock)...

Pours rather flat but with miniscule bubbles that line the top parts of the outside of the glass. A deep shaded colour, offers no real highlights even directly to the light. A swirl can generate some mocha coloured trim. No lacing of course but does leave legs (understandable for the high graivty). At some angles you might catch a glimpse of tawny chestnut, but nothing overly pretty.
The aroma is more so that of an eisbock with the fruit very diminished behind a huge malt base. Sticky notes with large presence (but no alcohol) in the smell. Notes of dried fruits like raisons or plums, distant hops, a rich caramel and dark chocolate, a slight (wood) spruce like note, and an incredible amount of malts!
The flavours hit with the malt at first and the raspberry subtely coating the mouth in a long, lasting finish. Very unaggresive (obscenely so considering the alcohol percentage) which goes all but undetectable. Very silky smooth. Flavours are highly subjective, I could see picking out about anything from such a deep, complex profile. What I find most predominant is a strong chocolate caramel flavour. The raspberry compliments the caramel malts so well but always stays secondary. A little more medicinal as it warmed, but this lovely taste just floats around the mouth for a very long time after...
A perfect after dinner, along side desert sipper. This bottle, at 2+ years is holding up fantastic but I would love to try this fresh. Certainly worth the high price for this experience. I may have to lower my marks of other eisbocks.
Why does this bottle have to be so small? This truly is something unique and world class.

4.02/5  rDev -8.2%

6.3oz 2004 bottle, Sampled September 2005
Pours with the faintest trace of carbonation that creates a very small ring of fine bubbles that bubble up from the etched marking at the bottom of my Duvel tulip. The beer is a hazy amber-red color that shows a thin wispy tan head when roused. The aroma is thick with raspberries, but there is a rich malty note to it that stops it from becoming pure raspberry. As I go in for a deeper smell of the aroma the rich maltiness of this beer becomes much more apparent. My nose has become used to the raspberry note and I now get rich concentrated notes of caramel, toffee, and a toasty maltiness underneath the dominant raspberry note. Actually the more I think about it the more it seems to smell like a raspberry flavored chocolate malt ball.

The beer is quite thick on the palate, yet it is not nearly as sweet as I was expecting. There is some sweetness here but it is malty sweet as opposed to the typical sugary sweetness that I was expecting. The thing that really lingers on the palate after the beer has been swallowed is the rich concentrated maltiness; notes of toffee and toasted biscuits. Because of the relative dryness of this beer, the raspberry flavor is not allowed to dominate as much as it could. The raspberry is certainly noticeable, but it is not too overwhelming. Actually after my first sip of this I was sorely disappointed the flavors just seemed to clash, and were quite jarring. It got better with subsequent sips though. The maltiness, as in the aroma, really reminds me of chocolate malt balls, definitely interesting.

Despite my first impression, I am definitely enjoying this beer. It is not cloying, like the New Glarus beers, and the raspberry notes are not overwhelming. In fact they are in a good balance with the rest of the beer. All of the flavors are concentrated and over-the-top, but none of them are out of whack with the rest of the beer.

4.82/5  rDev +10%

6.3 Oz bottle Sampled through the efforts of SS 05 BIF and Meathookjones.

2004 vintage.

Pours a hazy thick reddish brown beer.

Smell is very sweet chocolate and caramel and raspberries. Spicy scents of vanilla, black pepper, truffles and cherry on the alcohol fumes. Smells like expensive chocolates.

Taste is lots of raspberries and chocolate with a little tartness from the berries. Super richness here I almost feel like I could eat this as a pudding. I am forced into small sips to savor the flavor of this. Long lasting raspberry flavor that takes a good 5 minutes to die off. The flavor is all chocolate and raspberries here.

Mouthfeel is pudding thick.

Crazy drinkable beer that was the PERFECT beer for Christmas!

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a ruby red color with light carbonation that sticks to the side of the snifter before quicky dying down.

S - Raspberry candy aroma that's almost more of a liquor.

T - Compared to the nose, the flavor really opens up. Raspberry and light chocolate with styrupy booziness. Nothing overly complex, but straight forward cordial-like tastiness.

M - Heavy medium body,juicy, and lip smacking sticky.

O - Definitely worth a try.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Enjoyed back on 888, reviewed from fairly meticulous notes. Shared with SAS, Inflatablechair, and theotherbeerguy.

My share poured into a Chimay goblet... 2007 vintage I scored from Mully back early this year.

Looks thick.. viscous.. very very little carbonation is revealed only when held to a light...

smells exactly like a raspberry cordial... tawny port and chocolate blended with fresh raspberries.

Flavor is exactly like a raspberry coridal.. chocolate.. caramel and berry with touches of a local raspberry brandy... dessert in a bottle.. but a very special dessert that will make you wonder.. "How the hell did they do this?" Savor this one because the bottle goes too quickly.. body is thick and syrupy but in a good way... If I didn't know it was a beer, I would drizzle this over rich vanilla ice cream... Ooooh That sounds good.

I am very happy Matt hooked me up with these... class act trader.

4/4.5/5/4.5/4

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Very glad I got to sample this at the KBS bottle share. Also glad I never paid $30 or traded for it.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

6.3 oz 2007 bottle generously sent by mbrasi. Green bottle with an upside down label and no wax. Poured into a Kuhnhenn tulip.

A vigorous pour produces a short lived and spotty cream/light mocha colored head that quickly fades to a ring of bubbles with quickly fading lacing. Liquid is a murky thick, turbid ruby brown. Not exceptional, but about what you'd expect for this style. Aroma is amazingly rich, complex and... decadent (I guess that works here). Smells unlike any other beer I've tried, alternating abundant malty chocolate, toffee and caramel notes, with earthy and seedy, slightly tart raspberry. Silky smooth thick bodied with a perfect amount of light carbonation and a ridiculously long lasting, balanced tart and sweet aftertaste. Flavor is an overwhelming menagerie of chocolate, toffee, brown sugar, vanilla, tart raspberry, earthy raspberry seeds, lemon, rum like alcohol, figs, raisins, sour fruits, etc. There is a slight medicinal quality to the flavor that keeps me from giving the flavor a perfect 5 (but that's a result of my own issues with Robitussin growing up, haha). Lives up to the hype for me, with nothing I can compare this to; the small bottle was the perfect size for me to enjoy.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

4.41/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml bottle of the 2014 release. Served in a brandy snifter 2/24/2015.

A- Dark ruby body. Shades of brown as well. Minimal half finger white head that dies down very quickly. No lacing. It eventually ends up looking like a reddish brandy in this glass.

S- Rich aromas of raspberry... wait for it... Twizzlers! But not in an artificial or plastic manner, it's more authentic. It's very raspberry jam-forward with a malty chocolate background. The raspberry is very strong here, it makes me think raspberry pancake syrup.

F- Tastes just as raspberry forward as it smells. As in the nose, there are no plastic or artificial flavours here, just a ton of raspberry jam and chocolate malt. A little bit of mineral yeast flavours as well. Not superbly complex and a very sweet beer, but it is a very unique flavour profile that I am honestly enjoying quite a bit. I want to pour this beer on my pancakes.

M- Thick bodied, slightly syrupy but not in an off-putting way. I expected this beer to be reasonably thick, and it is indeed so. Low carbonation, a very nice sipper as it is very, very flavourful but without any kind of heat at all.

O- Excellent beer, one of the first eisbocks I've tried. It's very balanced yet extremely flavourful and enjoyable to sip on. A bit of a novelty in concept, but in execution it's a very nice beer, and if you're a cellar-obsessive, I am sure it could age for decades. I am definitely more interested in trying Blueberry Eisbock now.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

6.3oz. bottle poured into a tulip. 2007 vintage. Huge thanks to steebo777 for trading with me for this one!

(A)- Pours a hazy combo of a burnt caramel-like color with ruby red and orange highlights. Not much head formation, but I was not expecting that due to the style and ABV.

(S)- A rich tart raspberry fruit aroma with even a light woody spicy cherry at the end. Bits of creamy vanilla in there too. Almost has a sherry/port-like quality to it in smell and appearance. Mountains of great decadent raspberries. I could smell this all day.

(T)- Very similar to the smell, only in the middle has a sweet caramel and cocoa thing. Overall, its very much like a decadent chocolate covered tart raspberry and or cherry. Finishes very dry with a bit of warmth going down and a woody spice.

(M)- A rather good carbonation level despite its flat appearance. A good balance too of serious malts and serious fruit. Definitely has some heat going down, but it does not feel like a 13.5% heat. Gets smoother the more I have of it.

(D)- Despite its rich sweet core and warmth, this guy is a smooth criminal. Great taste, aroma, and feel to it for the style. I can see why it comes in such small bottles, but not totally sure on price point. This is a sipper for sure; savor every sip since there is very little of it. A fantastic eisbock, yet unique at the same time. I would love to try this fresh someday to compare how it is versus aged.

4.82/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Shared with JLindros. 2012 vintage

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a nice crystal clear, if it wasn't so dark, brown hue with no head, though wisps are kicked up when swirled. Awesome legs too.

S - Aromas of raspberry dark chocolate truffle. Toffee caramel, Raspberry puree, glorious chocolate dark and rich, with no heat whatsoever. Uhhh...oh my gosh. Like a raspberry tootsie too...only not awful!

T - Taste is sweet raspberry jam, sticky, chocolate truffle massiveness, caramel, toffee, no alcohol at all really. Holy moly. This is absurd. So much chocolate and raspberry. I can't stress how much raspberry jam and chocolate. A touch on the sweet side.

M - Mouthfeel is silky velvet, no booze. Wow.

O - Overall this beer was even better than my expectations. Mindblowingly incredible with loads of raspberry and chocolate. Never Had anything like this, I'm floored.

Serving type: Bottle