Braggot

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
BraggotBraggot
Notes: Braggot is mead and beer combined, this batch won the Bronze medal at 2012 GABF, one of only three medals given to Michigan breweries in the state This batch was made with Michigan Wildflower mead and Scottish Ale. Frank and Eric collaborated to make this award winning mead.
Reviews: 50 | Ratings: 155 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by kojevergas:
3.11/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2011 vintage. 16% ABV confirmed. Bottle acquired in a trade with michaellcoates. Really excited to try this; I really liked the Brother Adam's Bragget and I enjoy meads. 12 oz bottle with interesting well-done label art and standard silver pry-off cap served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery's reputation, though I was really disappointed by their Bourbon Barrel 4th Dementea.

Served cold, straight from the fridge, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

As I started the pour, no head was forming, so I added significant vigor.

A: Pours a dark khaki colour floater ring; no real head forms. Thin, with horrible retention. No lacing.

Body colour is a murky dark reddish brown; I can tell the beer side of this was a Scottish ale. Nontransparent; semitranslucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Admittedly, it isn't much to look at and seems direly undercarbonated.

Sm: Smells like an aged barleywine. Raisin, prune, caramalt, heavy biscuit malt, amber malts, and dark fruit notes - perhaps cherry and/or raspberry. Fruity syrup. I also get some honey and mead notes, but only when I look for them; I wouldn't have identified them without knowing this was a braggot. Currants/berries comes through more and more as it warms. Very subtly integrated spices are there too, but I struggle to identify them because of how seamless they are in the flavour profile. Nutmeg? Light vanilla. Splashes of oak. Grape. Truffle. Brown sugar. Some floral notes. Fig. Molasses. Quite fruity. The beer and mead seem well-balanced, though I do want more from the honey. Not getting much in terms of herbal or hop notes.

An appealing aroma of moderate strength. Fruity notes are dominant. Shockingly, no alcohol is detectable. I don't get any yeast from the aroma.

T: Syrupy up front and it never lets up. Ripe fruity notes throughout. Raisin, grape, prune, fig. Lightly vinous. Molasses, caramel, biscuit malt. Candied sugar. Subtle spices; they're difficult to identify individually but I do get heathers redolent of a gruit. On the sweet end of the bitter/sweet spectrum. Dates. Honey is timid; the beer definitely overpowers the mead here. No hop notes are present. Not getting any yeast either. I do notice the alcohol lurking beneath the syrupy sweetness, but it's shockingly well hidden considering it's 16%. I'd never guess the ABV was that high. A bit musty and dry; perhaps even lightly oxidized. Unrefined sugars.

I wouldn't call it balanced per se, but it's not a mess. There's a lot going on here but it doesn't feel cohesive or seamlessly constructed. I do like the build for what it is, but the mead and honey side is lackluster.

Mf: Lightly dry - most so on the finish. Musty. Vinous; a bit rough. Some heat is present here. Lightly acidic. Heavy on the palate; she's a handful. Not oily or biting. Carbonation is actually a bit overdone, contrary to what the appearance might suggest. A bit smooth. Light hints of a cardboard like texture suggest oxidation. Suits the flavour profile generally well.

Dr: If this is the aged version, I imagine this beer is pretty rough fresh. I don't mind it for what it is, but it's certainly not very drinkable - definitely more of a sipper. Alcohol is noticeable. This is my second beer from Kuhnhenn, and I don't yet understand what all the fuss is about. A nice try at the style, but ultimately its flaws outweigh any enjoyment it might provide. If it wasn't lightly oxidized, I'd say it could use another 2-3 years of aging.

C+

3.77/5  rDev -4.1%

12oz bottle from IAmJacksHopTongue (many thanks!). No bottling date. Served in a goblet.

Pours a nearly opaque deep brown with chestnut hightlights and a half finger pale froth. Those bubbles quickly fade to a tiny ring which subsequently disappears entirely without leaving any lace.

Aromas are sweet. Honey, toffee, vague fruits and some caramel.

Taste follows the nose. Honey, unripe dark fruits, toffee, red wine, caramel, raisin bread and a fairly hefty booze heat. All in all this comes accross as a Scotch ale on honey and sugar steroids.

Mildly syrupy, medium full body with a strange carbonation that I feel tingling in my mouth but doesn't show in the glass. The finish maintains that theme of honey, fark fruit and toffee.

Kuhnhenn's Braggot is a nice blend of malty ale and mead. A sweet, enjoyable departure from my typical routine and well worth a try for anyone that may be curious.

3.56/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Kuhnhenn snifter. 2011 bottle.

Appearance - Pours with very few bubbles. Deep red brown. Thin collar of white foam.

Smell - Lots of honey. Fruity. Carmel. Not a great deal of complexity. Mostly honey here.

Taste - Much more depth to the malt flavor. Very sweet, but coupled with caramel, fruity malts, and a touch of smokey malts. Finishes a little bit buttery.

Mouthfeel - Doesn't taste anywhere near 16% alcohol. Not really boozy at all. Sweet and slick. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - The style doesn't lend itself to much complexity in my experience. The honey flavors mask most of the dimensions of the beer. Amazingly smooth though.

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

12OZ. bottle
Served in a Kuhnhenn's snifter
2011

A - It is a murky tea color. I poured aggressively, so the yeast went in the glass, yet the pour yielded no head. There is a fine line of beige bubbles around the edge of the glass.

S - The first thing I thought of when I took a whiff was cherry Chap StickĀ®. As it warms, I start to get some sweet, boozy malt. It reminds me of a barleywine.

T - It is sweet. I get some fig, molasses, and honey. Once again it reminds me of an English barleywine. I get some alcohol on the finish.

M - Medium and flat from lack of carbonation.

O - It's a sipper. It is better at room temperature. It just reminds me a lot of an English barleywine. It has warming effects. I like it.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Pours a hazy dark Chestnut brown with no head and a few bubbles appeared right when poured. Small hiss when opened.

S: Aroma of a sweet plum pudding with honey, toffee, fusel alcohol wildflower blossoms and caramelized sugar.

T: As expected, this is a sweet bomb. While there is tons of plum and wildflower honey flavors, one place that this does not disappoint is the variety of flavors that are in here. There is a nice dash of caramelized sugar, toffee, pecan pie, molasses, and cotton candy mixing with tropical fruit and black cherry flavors. Wildflower flavors are the base of this braggot and being the first of this beer style that I have ever had, I am really enjoying it for its different flavors. It is surprisingly similar in some characteristics to Kuhnhenns Old brune which is one of my favorite beers period. Sweet black cherry flavors with a similar mouthfeel. There is some fusel alcohol flavors which are a 'flaw' however I am willing to forgive this slightly more in a 16% beer that is made with honey than a Russian Imperial Stout.

M: Very light in body with no carbonation detectable. Slight hiss upon opening.

O: Color me impressed. I will be seeking out more Braggot's in the future.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

2.55/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2014 vintage. Cola color with a few stray bubbles on top. No retention or lacing. Aroma of caramel and anise, spicy, with hints of peat. In the taste, licorice, tar, tobacco, peat, notes of dark dried fruit and honey. Left a bad taste in the mouth like smoking a bad cigar. Some syrupy booze in there, with an otherwise harsh mouthfeel. Not very drinkable, not very good...

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%

12oz bottle into an Old Engine Oil snifter. Thanks to whoever opened this at the tasting.

A: Flat, clear mahogany body. Meh.

S: Sweet honey, dark fruit, and some faint meatiness. Light booze. Quite nice.

T: Strong and sweet, with some honey, toffee, candied fruit, and booze. Tasty.

M: Still, sticky, and smooth. Ok.

O: One of the best Braggots I've had, this one really did combine the best of its beer and mead elements into something special. Killer concoction from Kuhnhenn.

Cheers!

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%

Kuhnhenn's 2008 imperial bourbon barrel aged braggot was among the best beers I had last year, so I've got high expectations for this one.

Split this 2011 bottle three ways. Zero head or lace from the dark caramel colored body. Looks like we poured a spirit instead of a beer. Honey, spices, yeast, malt, booze, and caramel in the nose.

Malty and sweet; honey really shines through. Dark and oaky too. Lots of other spicy nuances that I can't finger give it complexity. Sticky, medium body with zero carb.

Careful though: you can barely taste the 16% ABV, even at room temperature. Literally *zero* bite and only very mild alcoholic warmth as it descends. I enjoyed this one, but at $12 for a 12oz it's only for special occasions.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.72/5  rDev -5.3%

picked up locally, 2011 vintage from the winter solstice. poured 12oz into hill farmstead oversized wine glass.

a - a hard pour yields a still lifeless liquid in the glass. looks purple in the glass but to the light, ruby highlights are revealed. no lacing to speak of.

s - oh wow. rich and complex. big banana and bubble gum. some lighter spicing like clove and sage. honey and lemon. smells rich and chunky. i really don't know what to expect.

t - just as much going on in the flavor. banana, bubble gum, same sage i find in the smell and honey. weird and different, but good. sweet, but not cloying.

m - little to no carbonation, but it seems to work. doesn't really seem like a beer, perhaps more of a liquore or cordial?

o - overall, didn't really know what to expect with this one. i've had a braggot or two before and it is an odd style (top braggot is rated at 3.91 so not something universally loved on BA). going into this one with no expectations, the end result is a big strong alcoholic drink that doesn't feel like one. i really don't get any of the booziness. there is some sweetness, but nicely balanced out with some sweeter saison-like flavoring. no mistake that this is different. probably a great one to bust out after a dinner party and give everyone an ounce or two. a bit pricey, but i suspect that i'll pick up another one of these while they are around. a very cool and unique drink and something that would be fun to break out to rave reviews.

kuhnhenn continues to impress with their huge beers that carry a nice flavor and are beyond drinkable with hidden booze.

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Alright here we go

Poured from the bottle right down the middle of a snifter, very murky brownish amber color with maybe a hint of purple? ahh probably not....

Smell - Is very sweet, a lot of caramel, sugar plums, a lot of candy like sweetness coming through. Smells kind of like a sweetened version of a Old Ale.

Taste - a lot of sweet rasin, plum, caramel a little toffee, all around really good stuff.

Mouthfeel is medium, thought it would be fuller based on the pour, Carbonation is there but you really have to look for it, somehow it works though.

Hard to believe that this is 16%.... Based on taste and mouthfeel I would have guessed right around 9%.

Well this is my first Braggot and it won't be my last (assuming I can actually find someone else who makes on, that I can get in my neck of the woods)

Braggot from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company