Kuhnhenn Braggot | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn BraggotKuhnhenn Braggot

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company
kbrewery.com

Style: Braggot

Braggot is mead and beer combined, this batch won the Bronze medal at 2012 GABF, one of only three medals given to Michigan breweries in the state This batch was made with Michigan Wildflower mead and Scottish Ale. Frank and Eric collaborated to make this award winning mead.

Added by marburg on 09-22-2003

Liked:
3.91/5
Alströms:

2.5/5  rDev -36.1%

2.55/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2014 vintage. Cola color with a few stray bubbles on top. No retention or lacing. Aroma of caramel and anise, spicy, with hints of peat. In the taste, licorice, tar, tobacco, peat, notes of dark dried fruit and honey. Left a bad taste in the mouth like smoking a bad cigar. Some syrupy booze in there, with an otherwise harsh mouthfeel. Not very drinkable, not very good...

Maybe it's what this style is supposed to be, I don't know, but this was too heavy and syrupy for me.

3.05/5  rDev -22%

Shared by Floydster at The Bruery Reserve Society party. I believe this is the March 2008 vintage. It's dark amber with a diminutive head of bubbles. The nose is earthy, with notes of sour fruit candy, raisins, heather, and honey. The flavor is earthy and slightly sour, with notes of heather, honey, and a dash of chocolate. This was cloying and I didn't finish my small sample.

3.11/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2011 vintage. 16% ABV confirmed. Bottle acquired in a trade with michaellcoates. Really excited to try this; I really liked the Brother Adam's Bragget and I enjoy meads. 12 oz bottle with interesting well-done label art and standard silver pry-off cap served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery's reputation, though I was really disappointed by their Bourbon Barrel 4th Dementea.

Served cold, straight from the fridge, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

As I started the pour, no head was forming, so I added significant vigor.

A: Pours a dark khaki colour floater ring; no real head forms. Thin, with horrible retention. No lacing.

Body colour is a murky dark reddish brown; I can tell the beer side of this was a Scottish ale. Nontransparent; semitranslucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Admittedly, it isn't much to look at and seems direly undercarbonated.

Sm: Smells like an aged barleywine. Raisin, prune, caramalt, heavy biscuit malt, amber malts, and dark fruit notes - perhaps cherry and/or raspberry. Fruity syrup. I also get some honey and mead notes, but only when I look for them; I wouldn't have identified them without knowing this was a braggot. Currants/berries comes through more and more as it warms. Very subtly integrated spices are there too, but I struggle to identify them because of how seamless they are in the flavour profile. Nutmeg? Light vanilla. Splashes of oak. Grape. Truffle. Brown sugar. Some floral notes. Fig. Molasses. Quite fruity. The beer and mead seem well-balanced, though I do want more from the honey. Not getting much in terms of herbal or hop notes.

An appealing aroma of moderate strength. Fruity notes are dominant. Shockingly, no alcohol is detectable. I don't get any yeast from the aroma.

T: Syrupy up front and it never lets up. Ripe fruity notes throughout. Raisin, grape, prune, fig. Lightly vinous. Molasses, caramel, biscuit malt. Candied sugar. Subtle spices; they're difficult to identify individually but I do get heathers redolent of a gruit. On the sweet end of the bitter/sweet spectrum. Dates. Honey is timid; the beer definitely overpowers the mead here. No hop notes are present. Not getting any yeast either. I do notice the alcohol lurking beneath the syrupy sweetness, but it's shockingly well hidden considering it's 16%. I'd never guess the ABV was that high. A bit musty and dry; perhaps even lightly oxidized. Unrefined sugars.

I wouldn't call it balanced per se, but it's not a mess. There's a lot going on here but it doesn't feel cohesive or seamlessly constructed. I do like the build for what it is, but the mead and honey side is lackluster.

Mf: Lightly dry - most so on the finish. Musty. Vinous; a bit rough. Some heat is present here. Lightly acidic. Heavy on the palate; she's a handful. Not oily or biting. Carbonation is actually a bit overdone, contrary to what the appearance might suggest. A bit smooth. Light hints of a cardboard like texture suggest oxidation. Suits the flavour profile generally well.

Dr: If this is the aged version, I imagine this beer is pretty rough fresh. I don't mind it for what it is, but it's certainly not very drinkable - definitely more of a sipper. Alcohol is noticeable. This is my second beer from Kuhnhenn, and I don't yet understand what all the fuss is about. A nice try at the style, but ultimately its flaws outweigh any enjoyment it might provide. If it wasn't lightly oxidized, I'd say it could use another 2-3 years of aging.

C+

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

12 oz bottle purchased at the Solstice Party this year.

Pours a clear dark ruby red, almost brown away from the light, thin tan head forms, settles to a nice collar around the glass, some lacing sticks, looks pretty nice. Smell is neat, very floral, caramel, fruit, raisins, alcohol, light ammonia which I noticed with the braggot I made, biscuits, lots of malt, neat honey character. Taste is neat, although the flavour it a bit thin and hot, some floral honey character, fruity, alcohol is in your face, some caramel, apples, some spice, ammonia again, pretty interesting although can't say its very enjoyable. Mouthfeel is light bodied, pretty thin, with low to medium carbonation, some big heat going down. Way too thin, light sourness, lots of heat, not as rich and full bodied as I think a braggot should be.

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

3.3/5  rDev -15.6%

Part of the Blind BIF 6

A - Pours a very dark chestnut brown with ruby highlights when i hold my glass up to the light. There was absolutely no foam whatsoever except now there is a ring of tiny bubbles around the glass.

S - The aroma is sort of faint. I'm picking up some sweet malt, maybe a bit of coffee or fruit or something?

T - Now i'm getting it more, it reminds me of Ludens cherry cough drops. And thats how it tastes as well. A slight mix of cough syrup and maltiness. Not really something that i'm liking very much, though I did used to eat those cough drops like candy when I was a kid. As it warms I start to pick up a bit of chocolate in there as well.

M/D - medium bodied, almost still, very syrupy. I wouldn't say its hard to drink, its just not enjoyable. I keep trying it thinking it will be different but nope, this is what it is.

As for a guess, i could guess Mad Elf, that beer has the same cherry type flavor but not as bad as this. So i'll just rip off the paper to reveal...
Kuhnhenn Braggot

now that I read about it, I can pick up the honey more. I just don't think this is my style. As it warms, it definitely has a different flavor and its growing on me, but in the end I don't think its for me.

3/3/3.5/3/3.5

3.47/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.48/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had higher expectations for this... I'd say better than OK, but not great.

Kuhnhenn Braggot from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company