Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Ratings: 1,049 |  Reviews: 450
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

2008 Vintage

Poured into Duck Rabbit Snifter

Pours 1/2 finger of light tan head. Great retention. Color is a dark brown.

Aroma: A very warming ale. A lot of raisins, plums, and molasses. Some booze shows but it works for this one. Rich and malty. I get some toffee flavors. Nice.

Taste: Rich and malty. Toffee and caramel. Molasses is heavy with raisins and licorice. Not very much booze shows, but it is warming. Caramel and toffee malts. I like it.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and warming. Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. It is a little higher than most old ales, but it works. Ends dry.

Overall, a pretty nice old ale. It is a bit malty, but I like the warming flavors. Much better than a lot of the other old ales out there.

4.46/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Picked up at Kuhnhenn a few days after Christmas 2009.

A: Pours a fairly-dark brown with a few mahogany highlights. Pours with a nice tan head and a bit of lacing.

S: Very, very nice and quite complex. Lots of dark malt and accompanying sweetness alongside some dark fruits, cherry, brown sugar, honey, and hints of alcohol.

T: Similar to the smell, with a whole bunch of things going on. A bit of alcohol, which will likely subside with some time, exists alongside loads of sweet malt, brown sugar, caramel, dark fruits, cherry, and raisins.

M: Medium body with a bit too much alcohol at this point, although I'm sure this will meld together very well in time.

D: Incredibly complex and smooth for the alcohol volume it has, this is definitely one to hold onto for a while.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottled on 2-16-05,best before 2011.Poured a deep chesnut brown with well formed light brown one finger head that leaves a trace amount of lace as it settled quickly.Oh the aromas so rich and decadent,nutty and portish with anise notes and caramel and alcohol dipped dark fruit.Chewey mouthfeel very pleasurable,where to begin flavor wise,those tawny port notes and quite raisiny upfront slowly merging into a nutty,woody finish I also noticed a touch of herbal hop toward the end as well wich was suprising and nice.Hmm this is a gem here would age incredibly just awesome.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

2009 release, acquired from raznug courtesy of the Under 100-3 BIF, so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep reddish brown color, with a thin light brown head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains brown sugar, bourbon, caramelized malts and some hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of bourbon, caramel and brown sugar. Then a significant alcohol sting comes in followed by a hearty malt character. The hops presence is mild but brings a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, ABV listed on the bottle is 12.50% so a very strong kick, very good representation of style, this is a solid stronger beer but there are others in the style that I would choose first.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2011 Edition

A: Pours a cloudy and opaque very dark reddish brown in color with some brown and amber highlights along with a light amount of gentle visible carbonation. The beer has an extremely thin sudsy dark beige head that quickly reduces to a very thin ring of bubbles at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Strong aromas of malts with some toffee sweetness and just a touch of cherry dark fruit.

T: Moderate to strong flavors of sweet malts with some notes of toffee and light to moderate amounts of cherry dark fruit. There are very light notes of lingering sweetness and almost no bitterness present. Light notes of alcohol as the beer warms up.

M: Just heavier than medium bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth with just a touch of alcohol warmth in the finish.

O: This beer has just enough sweetness and alcohol presence in this beer to make you want to slowly sip it (preferably on a cold winter evening by a fireplace) to enjoy.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

2009 vintage poured into my CBS snifter. It poured a murky dark brown color with just some faint traces of a head clinging to the edges of the glass.

The aroma has a lot of dark fruits to it with some prominent notes of raisin and fig coming through as well as a touch of cherry. A little sweeter, caramel malt flavor is there along with some alcohol.

The taste shows more of a sweeter component to the dark fruits with the cherry and caramel assuming the lead role. A little of the raisin and fig like flavor that was prominent in the aroma comes through in the finish. I get a bit of chocolate to it as well. The alcohol is a little better hidden in the taste as well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the style with carbonation being moderate. Overall, it's a very good beer with some really nice, bold flavors to it. It's little boozy and sweet at times, which prevents it from being truly great though in my opinion. Overall A very solid beer to sip on this evening though.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Got this from Biergartenok, cheers Freddie!

2010 version pours a brownish-mahogany with a pinky of brown.cocoa head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Sherry, dark fruit & a touch of Bourbon

T: Figs, black currant, dryness, a touch of charred grain up front. Boozey figs as this warms, a touch of cherry & raisin as well, plus plenty of oaky dryness & kist a touch of woody & herbal hops & some toffee notes. Finishes dry, woody, herbal witm much figgyness, a touch of prunes that doesn't help the flavor, some cherry=flovred pipe tobacco & marmalaide

MF: Chewy with minimal carbonation, skews fruitty/malty, warming

This baby screams English flavor, hops are very subtle. This is a nice fire-side ssipper, would love to try a fresh bottle for comparrison, but this is tasty enough as it is

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear, reddish-brown body with a small ring of white bubbles.

Smell: Lucious malt aroma with notes of caramel, dark fruits, and vanilla sugar cookies. Not too shabby!

Taste: Strong maltiness back by a rich, full flavor of toasted caramel and gooey dark brown sugar. Very light touch of roast. Some vanilla. Layers of stewed fruits. Mild, earthy hop bitterness. Soothingly sweet, warming finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation. A bit chewy.

Drinkability: Well! That was quite a lovely old ale. I definitely recommend acquiring a bottle (or three).

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Black cherry cordial beneath a three finger crown of attractive golden caramel foam. As the proportions of beer and head begin to reverse, I'm amazed at the fiery brilliance of the liquid. An ABV of 11% is probably a bit high to expect much lace, and, in fact, the glass is almost untouched. Still though, this is a very nice looking old ale.

The nose--by my nose at least--is indistinguishable from a barleywine. In addition to aromas of concentrated cherries and raspberries, there's a good bit of sweet caramel and fruit juice infused tobacco. Alcohol is present, as it will most likely be for at least several more years. I need more complexity and sheer force of personality to break out the big numbers though.

On the palate, I'm again reminded of a barleywine. The flavor profile follows the nose directly and, like the nose, could be deeper and more multi-faceted. I started the bottle out at barely cool so I don't think that temperature is an issue. Let's see what happens as the ounces disappear.

My taste buds are quite happy during the initial submersion. For such a big beer though, the flavor fades a bit too quickly, never quite reaching critical mass. I need more time to explore all of the beer's dimensions, but I can't quite get to the third one, the one that bestows volume and depth. I'm probably being a little hard on Fourth Dementia, but my expectations were sky high and they weren't met. That always makes me a little grumpy.

Caramel-drizzled, brandy-soaked cherries account for most of the flavor profile. I had a feeling that the hops that were present when this bottle was young (bottled on 8-1-04) have long since faded and that's exactly the case. There isn't a great of sweetness to counter though, so a huge hop load isn't needed at this point. The finish is on the short side for the style. The high ABV and the lack of malty assertiveness see to it that it's drying as well.

The body fills out a little from start to finish and manages to reach softly creamy by the final few ounces. It's nowhere near too carbonated, but a few fewer bubbles would have made the mouthfeel more silky and more enjoyable than it already is. This is a pretty good sipper though, I'm glad that I chose a snifter.

This bottle of Fourth Dementia has been biding its time in my cellar for over a year now. Given the 'best before 2010' on the label, I was in no hurry to sample the goods. After drinking it, I don't believe that it's going to improve from here on out. In the final reckoning, it's a good old ale, but 'great' never even crossed my mind.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

I want to start out by saying; without trouble, this is the best old ale I have ever had in my life. It literally brought a completely new meaning to me about what this style could do. Simply outstanding in every possible way. Now that I have gotten that out of the way let me go a little bit more in depth.

Received a few bottles of this in a trade about a month ago; however, I was unable to get to one until now. I decided last night to pull one from the cellar and give it a whirl, as I had been dying to try this gem. Pulled it out and let it warm up to about 55 degrees before pouring it into a Selin's Grove snifter, which I had also recently received. Upon the first pour, I immediately noticed how dark this was. I t was completely opaque except for just the smallest amount of reddish brown that peaked through on the sides when you held it up directly to the light, but still this was enormously big looking. Deep mahogany tones at first gave the impression of an Abyss, with nothing coming up from it, but a few seconds passed and a beautiful looking tannish colored head rose up from it. At least two fingers high, it surprised me as I thought this might have been lifeless. The head went nowhere, I mean nowhere as it hung around for a good five to ten minutes, when it did settle, it was only down to about three quarters of an inch and that hung around throughout the entire session. Rich tan lace coated the entire glass and really just pushed things over the edge for me on this one. Absolutely perfect look.

So I went in for a whiff, I had to see how this was going to be coming at me, and again I was floored. Such a rich deep caramel smell coming off of this, literally took me by surprise. Nice aroma of oak and alcohol mixing and swirling around with it now, really starting to pick up steam the warmer it got. So complex, with rich earthy tones running rampant through it. The flavors, if at all possible turned out to be better then this. It was insane what I was sipping on here by this point. Almost at a loss for words, this was the old ale I had always searched for. I was thrilled to be having this. Deep malt bomb of the highest degree now taking shape all around me, utterly fantastic in every way. Warm oak infused notes of brandy like alcohol running over the tongue, so sweet and sugary. As you roll it around you start to notice there is a little bit of a bitter bite to this one. Way down deep under all of the malt, there was a subtle bitter hoppiness, very grainy and earthy, but it was there, and really pushed through on the finish. Long drawn out finish it was, really letting you savor every last bit of the enormous and utterly amazing flavor that this one provided. I am floored. The alcohol was so well blended, it was a deadly combination. Soo mellow and smooth, understated, it lured you in and would not let you go. The body was as rich and smooth as the flavor. Huge creamy body on this, and I found the carbonation to be spot on as well. It was just soo complex, with every sip letting you discover more and more flavors. Deep dark fruit now coming through for me, really started to actually dominate the scene all together. Huge raisin and plum notes giving it that sweet but yet tart dark fruit flavor we all come to love. A spicy touch in the back perhaps, but here comes that little bit of bitterness to wrap it all up. Wow, this was amazing.

Overall, I do not know what else I can really say about this one. It was, to be it in context, not only the single best Old Ale I have ever had. This may honestly be my favorite beer I have ever had, it was just that good. It is everything you want in a late night sipper, to me it was just perfect, I could not think of another thing that could be done. You must get this and send it to me, I have to have this one again. Fantastic in every way.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip. 2009 vintage. Received as an extra from wunderbeer in a trade, big thanks Ron, I've really been wanting to try this one!

a - Pours a dark mahogany brown color with one finger of fluffy very light tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Little bit of lacing left on the glass and head lasts for two to three minutes.

s - Smells of caramel malts, chocolate, dark fruits, especially raisins, toffee, light vanilla, light molasses, and light alcohol. As it warms up also a little cherries comes out. Wow, one of the best smelling Old Ales I've ever smelled. As it warms up so many different smells come out, yet it stays balanced.

t - Tastes of raisins, dates, dark fruits, molasses, sugar, caramel malts, sweet fruity malts, licorice, light toffee, and alcohol. Still good, but a clear step down from the nose.

m - Medium to full rich body and low
carbonation. The body is very smooth and creamy, and the alcohol is very well hidden.

d - A really great Old Ale; one of the better ones I've had. I thought this beer smelled amazing and was very complex and balanced. While the taste was a step down and a tiny disappointment after the smell, it was still very good. I thought it also had an amazing mouthfeel and while definitely a sipper, the ABV is well hidden. Would love to get more of this one.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

A huge thanks to Derek for sending me this beer some time ago. Finally got around to opening it last night. Shared with some deserving souls.

A: The pour is amber/leaning toward mahogany color with a minimal off-white head.

S: Lots of sweet caramel, toffee, brown sugar, dark fruits, honey, alcohol, and maple syrup. I'm sure that I missed something, but there are just so many aromas going on.

T: A similarly decadent array of flavors comes through as soon as this one hits your tongue. A mix of dark fruits, maple syrup, honey, toffee, caramel, and brown sugar. A touch of alcohol, but it's almost reminiscent of bourbon.

M: The body is full with a low carbonation and really smooth on the tongue.

D: I'm a big fan of Kuhnhenn and this beer is one of the reasons. An amazing beer and maybe the best Old Ale around.

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company