Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

2011 13.5%

Added by marburg on 05-06-2003

Reviews: 450 | Ratings: 1,040
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz single, got this bottle from CRJMellor in a trade, label says best before 2010 so I think I am good

Ah, my first kuhnhenn beer ever. How exciting!

appearance: quite murky, a distinct mahogany/amber color, light bubbling head and lacing.

smell: aromas of deep dark fruit with some alcohol soakage, caramel malty core, woody.

taste: quite a nice old ale...alcohol is definately present and the hop bitterness is dead on. lots of earthy/woody notes thoughout...dark fruit and berries are key components

mouthfeel: extraordinarily smooth up until the bite of hop bitterness in the aftertaste, outstanding

drinkability: very drinkable

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a Bruery tulip. 12.5 % ABV, 2009.

I was lucky enough to snag a bottle of this at Martha's Vineyard for $5.99 in Grand Rapids last year. Thanks to sweemzander for showing me around town!

A - The dark bronzed cherry mahogany color is tainted by a subtle cloudiness while the tall pour creates almost no head. A ring of tan foam still leaves lace though.

S - Sticky caramel malt sweetness battles dusty old basement throughout the aroma. Warm ethanol alcohol is fairly strong in the background. Faint hoppiness provides minuscule balance. A swirl dissolves toffee into candied plum while hints of raisin bread come into play. Complex and subtle.

T - A unique departure from the nose, Fourth Dementia is still strong with abundantly sweet caramel malt, candied plum, and raisin, topped by a mildly spicy, bitter touch of hops on the finish. Dry mocha reminds of the old basement once again. A little more pronounced and bold than the nose.

M - Warm alcohol doesn't affect the taste negatively and that goes for the mouthfeel also. Warm and soft, there is no burning, in fact, it's barely there altogether. Sweet all over with some mild dryness to the finish, the smooth, medium body is very nice.

D - Kuhnhenn does a fantastic job with alcohol involvement (or lack of) and it shows in this brew. No unpleasantness at all, this goes down very well, sip after sip. I wouldn't call it very drinkable, but as high ABV as this is, it's very nice.

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2012 bottle courtesy or Buschbeer. Cheers dude!

Pours a deep rusty brown with a thin khaki head. Plums and caramel on the nose, a touch of port, and a little alcohol. Tons of raisins sprinkled with brown sugar on the tongue. Toffee for sure, maybe a bit burnt, more dark fruit, a touch of warm booze. This is fantastic. Thanks again, Buschbeer.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

A-dark ruby red with lots of bubbles on the side of the glass and mostly transparent. The tan head is tight and creamy in appearance, only about 1 1/2 fingers of head that has solid retention and very creamy thick lace covering the glass

S-the nose is pretty big and quite sweet. Caramel and a touch of brown sugar up front as the dark fruits take over. Dark cherries are strongest and seem lightly soaked in alcohol with some plum in there as well. There are some metallic phenols in the back that take away from what started as a great aroma

T-the taste is quite big and actually has a huge caramel and brown sugar malt component up front similar to that of a barleywine. Dark fruits set in at the middle and take it home throughout. Lots of dark cherries and a touch of plum make up the initial sweetness as the booze comes in towards the back with just a touch of hop bitterness and herbal hops.

M-this boasts a nice medium body with an incredibly smooth and creamy feel. It is soft throughout with a slightly dry finish and enough carbonation to hold it up until the end.

D-this has huge flavors and a great set of maltiness. The feel is great and it is so smooth and creamy. It is a little hot right now so I could see a couple years making this explode!

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Had this quite a few times at Kuhnhenn, but I finally decided to crack some of my 2011 bottles, and this review will be based off of that. Fourth Dementia pours soft, rich, and thick, almost like warm maple syrup out of the bottle. It's a very deep and dark mahogany, showing ruby highlights in front of the light. A small, khaki crown forms slowly upon pouring, showing decent retention for this high gravity brew. A quick swirl of the glass will easily conjure up larger froth if desired.

I could smell 4D long before I ever brought the glass to my face - pretty much as soon as I cracked the bottle open. It's a highly sweet malt bomb that is very reminiscent of a barleywine up front. Humongous caramel aromas, warm toffee, and a melted coating of brown sugar smeared from wall to wall. Rich dark fruits reside beneath this blanket of sugary goodness; plums, black cherries, dates - all candied and tangled in vibrant sweetness. I pick up very faint woody aromas, though I don't believe the original 4D ever touched a barrel. Wonder what this is from? Alcohol is present with a warming and smooth notice, similar to that of brandy or sherry. Warmer temperatures only reveal more nuances in this already complex labyrinth of aromas; more sticky toffee, light tobacco, graham crackers... This aroma is blowing my mind.

Smelling this beer does nothing but get me even more excited to finally bring it to my lips. Truth is, I usually sit there and wave it in front of my nose for minutes before I finally take a sip. Initially, 4D comes out swinging with a fruit combination, sweet and pure like a puree; cherries, raspberries, and ripe plums are leading the pack by far. Now imagine those fruits drizzled in rich caramel, and rolled in a vat of brown sugar, then dipped delicately in a brandy bath for a few hours. Sticky bouts of toffee are strong from start to finish along with lighter hints being given to honey and maybe even maple syrup. 4D is sending my entire sensory system into a frenzy and I'm loving every goddamn minute of it.

Again, warmer temperatures yield an even larger bouquet of flavors, so I recommend taking it slow; it probably took me a little over an hour to finish the 12 oz bottle and that's the best way to do it. The flavors intensify and grow to a ridiculous degree of power and refinement, as if they weren't incredible enough already. The aftertaste is full of that light oak flavor that I was getting in the aroma - again, kind of mind-boggling considering this wasn't aged in a barrel or anything. Long lasting, toasted brown sugar couples with graham crackers and leftover cherry and raspberry juices to give one last jolt of sweetness before the sip of 4D is gone forever. Despite the intensely high levels of sweetness, the beer elegantly avoids becoming cloying through delicate balance with the alcohol heat and a faint (almost unnoticeable) addition of earthy hop bitterness. Slightly sticky mouth feel, heavy and thick on the palate, low-medium carbonation.

Holy shitballs. This stuff is absolutely incredible. I know I'm probably one of the only people that thinks this, but I enjoy the regular 4D much more than the barrel-aged version. I don't believe that barrel-aging always makes things better, and here is a perfect example of that. Why? Bourbon barrel aging imparts a particular and dignified set of flavors; in my opinion, these flavors kind of mask what I love so much about 4D. Call it a barleywine or an old ale or whatever the hell you want - this beer is a perfect example of the capabilities of not only its style, but beer in general. Enjoy this beer and take a nap, then thank me later.

4.06/5  rDev -4.7%

Aged a year and a half in my fine beer cellar (the closet in my office). Bottle sez it's best before 2011 and seeing as we're not even halfway through 2008 I figure I'm golden.

Sort of a gluppy, undercarbonated pour. I was worried for a second that it had gone flat but then I saw bubbles springing up from the bottom and heaved a sigh of relief. Looks like soda poured from a 2-liter that had been sitting in the fridge too long.

Smells pretty dang nice, though. The malt is intensely syrupy sour, tons of very rich and overripe fruits. Like a good, traditional old ale, this smells... well, old.

Tastes of stingy malted fruit and zippy yeasty alcohol. No hops to speak up, which I guess aren't standard for the style but the folks at Ft. Collins use them in their old ale so I guess they're not banned. The complexity is intense, nearly overwhelming, and while its overall quite nice there are a few off nodes. The syrupiness is a bit much, and the zingy sour nodes really could have used something--not hops, even, but some spice on the yeast--to cut into them.

The body is surprisingly firm, though, and while this is a sipper it still goes down like gold. Overall a very fine beer, but maybe not quite what I was hoping it would be.

A-Clear ruby amber, not much carbonation one finger off white head

S-Malt heavy, caramel, dark fruits and raisins.

T-Very sweet with caramel and molasses, lots of dark fruits. Balance is slightly off

M-Medium to heavy not much carbonation

O-Was expecting a lot better, glad I was able to try it but was not my cup of tea.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Trade from deyholla. Need to send him another box for these beasts. Bottle says Winter Solstice 2010, but also 2007 on the bottle. I am assuming this is the 2007 sold at the 2010 party. Got some age for sure. Poured Feb 16, 2013. Pours murky brown with no head. Aroma is sweet dark fruits and a bit of bourbon and slight vanilla (though this is not the BB version). Very sweet fig, cherry and grape flavor. Bit of caramel and some booze. Pretty thick mouthfeel. Nice beer, though on the sweet side.

Got my hands on a fresher bottle at a tasting on 8/2/14. Same look. Aroma is a nutty caramel malt, brown sugar, yum. Flavor follows with big molasses and brown sugar, caramel, and definite hazelnut or pecan/praline notes on the finish that really make this beer. A big beer but so yummy it goes down easy. This is awesome...I guess aging it for 6+ years is too much. Just fine as is when you buy it. Oh yea.

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a deep brown w ruby red highlight. No head or lacing to speak of. Smells of raisins and other dark dried fruits, lots of caramel and unfortunately very apparent alcohol. The initial taste is hot alcohol, followed by raisins and figs and a bit of earthiness. Also quite a bit of sweet caramel malts and a hint of smoke. Finishes a bit bitter. Pretty full mouthfeel, but not overwhelmingly heavy. Leaves some lingering bitterness. Overall, this is a bit too fresh perhaps, as the alcohol is quite apparent. However, the alcohol presence doesn't ruin this by any means. I have a few bottles that I look forward to trying after a year or two. This is definitely a sipper, but a nice old ale. Doesn't hold up to the barrel-aged version though.

4.09/5  rDev -4%

had this side-by-side with the BB4D at a barrel aged tasting on 2011-08-06.

clear amber color with no head at all. kind of bock like in the smell...very fruity, nutmeg, very sweet, caramel, spicy malt. flavor is nice, raising, figs, caramel malts. mouth is also good. little heavy, but the booze is well hidden. overall pretty good, not a candle to the BB4D though.

*** ** * ** ***
2012-03-28 2011 vintage into kuhnhenn snifter...

3.5 - 4 - 4.5 - 4 - 4.5

brew poured a deep purple with a thin frothy creamy head that hung out for a few minutes. smell is exactly as last time, nutmeg, caramel and some vanilla malt and plum. really well done old ale. flavor is dominated by rasins and figs. strong sweetness, almost quadlike. booze is invisibile. great beer, a bit overly sweet. the BA takes this great beer and makes it legendary, always a treat to have the original.

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

2008 vintage. This poured a hazy reddish mahogany with lots of light tan head. It smelled like earthy cocoa and musty roasted barley, with some coffee and cream and molasses. It tasted like super sweet prunes and molasses and raisins, with some honey wheat and rich brown sugar. This is the definition of cloying sweetness. It was somewhat thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a lasting bittersweet aftertaste. Overall this had a strange scent for an old ale, with a powerful taste that wasn't very complex but instead just a barrage of sweet dark fruits. It had good body, and hid the alcohol fairly well. But this really needs to be sipped due to all the sugar. A decent beer, but not really one of my favorite old ales.

4.02/5  rDev -5.6%

Likely the last brew I enjoy before the arrival of our baby daughter... Our world is about to change, so I figured I would celebrate the change with a quality brew.

A - Pours a murky mahogany, thin layer of head with little retention and no real lacing.

S - Bready toffee, caramel, leather, oak, figs and dark fruit notes, candied apple, buttered bread and wheat.

T - The flavour profile is unique, an earthy hop flavour comes through off the top with the dark fruit notes coming through on the finish. The toffee and caramel are present alongside a hint of bitter espresso, leather and burnt wood. The ABV sweetness is present but not overwhelming and is surprisingly hidden on the finish.

M - Medium bodied, a tad sticky, and finishes surprisingly wet.

O - A tasty brew that is incredibly complex. The nose and flavours are complex and I found that they became even more diverse as the brew warmed. There's a reason this is top rated, and I will definitely be grabbing a few extra bottle to age.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got a bottle of Kuhnhenn's Fourth Dementia 4D as an awesome birthday present from my friend Ben. I'm a big Kuhnhenn fan but since they are still a pretty small operation I only see their beers at Beer Festivals or at some of the better bars and I don't get a chance to try their beers as much as I would like to, but I've been wanting to try 4D ever since I first found out about Kuhnhenn, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage, 13.5%. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A= The label looks pretty nice, it's just got a fancy and classy look to it with some shiny gold 4D on the label, it's the best Kuhnhenn label I've seen since most of them look like they printed on a standard computers printer. It poured a pretty cloudy and murky brown color that didn't let much light through and it looked even murkier when held to the light with a half of fingers worth of tan/off white head that quickly faded away to nothing and it left a really small amount of spotty lacing behind. This isn't the greatest looking beer, just by looking at it in the glass it isn't that attractive, but it's not so bad looking I wouldn't give it a try, I don't think any beer can look that bad.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a slight molasses aroma to it followed by loads of malts being the first to show up and they impart some great caramel and toffee aromas with a pretty good amount of dark fruits showing up next with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a sweet and noticeable boozy aroma followed by a little bit of roasted malts on the finish that give this beer a rich, lightly roasted and light chocolate like aroma and there's also a light leather like aroma. This beer has a very nice aroma, I think it's fairly complex and I thought the different aspects worked well with each other.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness which seems to be on the lower side, it's not cloying and imparts a slight molasses like flavor followed by some great caramel and toffee flavors with an equal amount of dark fruits that show up also with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a slight leather flavor with a pretty light alcohol flavor that is very well hidden and it's not nearly as boozy as I thought it would be. Towards the end comes a light tobacco like flavor with some roasted malts showing up at the end with a light chocolate flavor and a lower amount of bitterness with a caramel, toffee, dark fruit, and light roasted malt aftertaste. This was a very good tasting beer that was pretty complex with some expertly hidden alcohol.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, pretty rich, a little creamy, full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation that worked nicely with this beer. This beer had a very good mouthfeel that was pretty much perfect for this beer.

Overall I thought this was very good beer and very good example of an Old Ale, Bell's Third Coast Old Ale was my favorite Old Ale, but I have to say after trying this I think 4D blows it out of the water, not that Third Coast Old Ale isn't great, 4D is just pretty much better in every aspect besides price and it's just a more intense and complex version of Old Ale that is just as smooth, maybe even smoother than Third Coast Old Ale which blows my mind. This beer had great drinkability, the 13.5 wasn't nearly as noticeable as I thought it would be, it was fairly smooth, complex, rich, a little sticky, pretty filling, and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, I think one bottle would be the perfect amount for me and if I had the chance I would could probably drink two, but I'm sure i would be feeling it in the morning. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the alcohol was hidden, it seriously blew my mind that a 13.5% Old Ale could be this smooth, I'm very impressed by that and I thought the taste was awesome. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it just isn't a good looking, which overall isn't that big of a deal and I learned a while ago to never judge a beer on it's looks. I would for sure buy this beer if I ever saw it for sale, it's pretty pricey but I think it's worth it and it makes for a nice beer for a special occasions. I would highly recommend this beer to anyone who likes Old Ales or big beers in general, I don't think this will disappoint. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I expected good things from this beer but all together it exceeded my expectations and I think it's an overall great beer and I would love to try the barrel aged version of this one day and I'm pretty sure this would be a great beer to cellar and I think it could get even better with time. Great work guys, I think the Kuhnhenns are simply the best at what they do and this is a world class beer, keep up the great work guys.

2.98/5  rDev -30%

A - Pretty dark brown, looking black, ridiculously huge head that faded after a little while and left some bizzare bubble sheets in random spikes and thorny shapes on the side. Unusual.

S - Sugarrific, other than I don't like that sort of thing. Very brown sugarish, big malt profile. A lot of dark fruit smell, and a huge dose of licorice.

T - Brown sugar bomb, not really good. I get way too much licorice on this also. Dark fruit, just too sweet. Any complexity in this is hard to find as it is buried in a huge malty, sugary overload.

M - Medium bodied, high dose of carbonation, sticky.

D - Can't do it, the sweetness is too coating and overpowering. The sugar and licorice tastes dominate too much and overpower the taste buds to the point of being painful.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

12oz bottle into AVBC snifter. A huge thanks to ipa247 for giving me this bottle. Really generous of you.

A: Pours an extremely dark mahogany red with a thin but dense cream colored head that faded to a thin collar. Not much lace.
S: Rich notes of vanilla, raisins, and caramel. Very sweet and a tad musty smelling with a hint of alcohol vapor, maybe sherry. Hints of fruits also.
T: Hits the palate sweet, fruity and alcoholic (port and sherry). Finish switches to coffee and milk chocolate but some candied fruit notes carry through. Aftertaste is full of sugar, tobacco and grapes.
M: Smooth medium-full body with soft carbonation and a slick mouthfeel. 12.5% alcohol you say? Where? There is a touch of warmth but this drinks great.
D: Hell yeah this is what an Old Ale tastes like! Sweet in all the right places but so very subtle and smooth. I could drink this for days. Alcohol is hidden exceptionally well. Again, I can't thank you enough Jeff for handing this one over to me!

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Solid cloud of dark rust brown tinted burnt orange. Thin tan foam smoothly caps the top. Clean and thin stringy lace sticks.

Pretty big aroma of dark fruit plumy/raisin brandyish heat and induced vanilla. Smooth and inviting dark molasses with a soaked alcoholic bread and light nutty cookie dough touches.

Taste is dark and well heated with fun displays of dark molasses sweetened smoothness, darker still, light sticky toffee. Quite a silky candy spiced taster the whole way through. Fine tuned notes of oaky orange vanilla, peat dirty dates, leathery prunes, and earthy nuts create supurb additions along the way. Trails off with a well displayed and handled alcoholic heat keeping with a dark brandy or sherry-like smooth burn as it grabs hold late. Soft and slick hard chocolate candy swipes in very late after the burn.

Beautiful silken body. Fairly full, bold, rich, candy brandy heat and light doughyness. Even a bit smokey in the alcoholic heat with a claro cigar-like spice. It drys off with extremely professional care.

One very nice Old Ale. Candyish, dark, silky, smooth, and the alcoholic heat is perfect akin to any nice brandy, port, or sherry out there; yet still keeps its beery quality and character.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance – There was a surprising head to this high-octane ale. The body was a dirty, filthy, pond scum brown with some light carbonation.

Smell – This was the ale’s strong point, IMHO. I just loved that raunchy, booze-soaked, woody malt smell that never did give up. The sweetness is very subdued, keeping the focus on the malts. Nicely done in a conservative sort of way.

Taste – This ale melts in your mouth. It reminds me a bit of Old Woody with all the wood character in the flavor profile. It’s not “oaky” but more like a malty wood, if that makes any sense. Either way, it’s killer. It reminds me a bit of their FUV BOP special : )

There are a few more sweets to be had at the taste, but not much more. The sugars that are there are more like raw cane than anything else. You might find some maple in here if you look hard enough. All in all this is an amazing flavor profile that begs for further examination as the ale warms.

Mouthfeel – This is on the big side of medium-bodied and almost flat with some old school bitterness on the back of the tongue and an unapologetic alcohol sting throughout.

Drinkability – The raunchy wood and stinging booze may be too much for some, but fans of the Old Ale style will unquestionably enjoy sampling this Kuhnhenn effort.

Comments – I will be forever indebted to garthwaite for sending this Old Ale out to Seattle. Cheers and beers!

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

12oz bottle courtesy of Knight84 and Hoppymeal poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark brown mahogany with a small dense head that diminishes quickly leaving almost no bubbles and no lacing.

S: Big caramel malt smell dominates the nose with raisins and molasses mixed in. There is also a definite alcohol sting in there as well.

T: Taste follows the smell with molasses and raisins up front giving way to the huge caramel malt taste. The finish is slightly smoky with the alcohol making its presence felt as well.

M: Mouthfeel is smooth and almost syrupy with little carbonation in the mix. The high sugar content makes it a bit sticky.

D: This is an excellent beer though the syrupy sweet mouthfeel takes away from the drinkability slightly. Still, very nice.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2011 bottle

A: Pours a murky dark, dark, dark brown/red. Small fizzy tan head despite aggressive pour; very low carbonation. Almost no lacing, just little specks here and there. Good head retention at least.

S: Very fruity. Loads of raisin, fig, prune, dates...and grape juice? Molasses and toffee too. Caramel, lots of it. Very sweet, almost cloyingly so. Smells similar to a JW Lees if I'm not mistaken.

T: Whoa. Smooth and heavy malts. Loads of caramel, brown sugar, toffee and molasses. LOADS of it. Less fruit here but raisin and fig is still apparent, especially towards the middle. There is a slight taste of alcohol briefly in the finish but it's surprisingly mellow given the low carbonation and high ABV. Finish is a little less sweet, toffee and marshmallow stand out here. Some fruits in the lingering aftertaste but much drier than the initial flavor. Still sweet, just not as much.

M: Heavy body, high ABV and low carbonation. It's thick and smooth but not nearly as cloying as I expected it to be. Surprisingly drinkable.

O: A serious old ale. A must-have for the malt lover with boatloads of maltiness and fruits. No sign of hops here. Above-average drinkability for the ABV, it's surprisingly mellow and smooth. Flavors are quite strong of course but not sharp and overpowering. Would love to get my hands on a barrel aged version of this.

3.64/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a dirty cola brown color with little to no head, meh.

The aroma has an intense raisin aroma with notes of caramel and toffee. Quite sweet. Some honey and booze soaked cherries; rum cake.

The taste starts off sweet like the aroma but does have somewhat of an earthy balance. Sweet caramel, honey, and prune juice kick things off and are expected in an old ale. Then comes a wave of burnt caramel that adds some needed bitterness and a strong tea like flavor that you find in amber ales. And just as the label suggests, I get the toasted marshmellow flavor. They really nailed that one, never tasted roasted marshmellow in a beer before. Some boozy cherry sweetness as well.

The feel is a bit of a mess. It is sticky, syrupy and yet some how dry?!? Significant amount of earthy bitterness balances out the crazy sweetness but it some how really drys the beer out. Bizarre. The lingering effects not entirely pleasant. I'm really not digg'n the feel.

I dunno, the beer has some big bold flavors but they seem to contrast each other. The beer needs a bitter offset but I find that they went too dry with an acrid bitterness. Doesn't blend as an old ale should. Perhaps it needs some major aging.

4.09/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a snifter. 2007 Vintage.

3.5 A: Motor oil black. Had trouble forming a head, but the 1/2 finger or so that formed had decent retention and lots of lacing.

4.5 S: Really sweet initially. Very strange combination of aromas that I've never experienced before. Tobacco, raisins, plum, dark cherry, and molasses all poke through. A bit boozy as well. Unique and pleasant.

4.0 T: Pretty much everything in the nose is here again. Alcohol is very apparent and makes this quite boozy overall, though quite good.

4.0 M: Thick, syrupy body and low on carbonation.

4.0 D: I'd drink this again. This is my first old ale, so I'm intrigued to try more.

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

07 bottle courtesy bret27. Pours a murky orange-brown with barely any tan head. Aroma is big on tropical fruit and caramel. Flavor is similar, monstrous body with tons of caramel, ripe citrus and figs. Alcohol really isn't that noticeable. It's warming but well-integrated. Very rich and full-bodied, a good slow-sipper.

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

I was really excited to try this brew at Kuhnhenns since I never got to try any of the bottled batches, and now I hear that there recent bottles of this are not doing to well as it is. Anyways, this one came in a lovely Balloon glass, the colour was dark bloody red/black, but not quite opaque. Head was light khaki and lasted for quite a while providing the glass with some lovely lacing patterns as well. Aromas are impressive, old ale notes of raisins, figs, other dark fruits and residual sugars, molasses, brown sugar, etc. hops are leafy and good in this mix, malts are dark roasty and hella complex. Middle is doughy and fruit with a rum raisin sort of kick to it that really does it for me. Finish is leafy hops and dark patent malts with some caramel hints, and a somewhat wet and drying contrasting finish that makes this exceptionally drinkable. Just a totally kick ass old ale from a brewery that is really drawing lines. Awesome stuff.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage poured into snifter. Pours a deep brown amber. No head or lacing but that's to be expected. Smell is fantastic!!! Dried fruit booze and malts. Taste is also just amazing!!!I can't even describe. Just get this fantastic beer. Absolutely amazing!

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

BB 2017/01/01

Beer appears very dark brown- close to black but not quite. A small bit of off-whitehead is gone almost instantly.

Smell is very strong and rich. Burnt caramel/toffee, raisin. Quite malty. Smells like a port to me, with dark fruit.

Coming off the nose, the taste has a surprising herbal/spice flavour that I did not expect. Along with that are similar flavours to the nose- caramel/toffee, raisin, brown sugar. Alcohol heat is quite present, which is no surprise. A bit smoky. Very big flavour. Quite sweet.

Full bodied, very heavy, with a moderate carbonation level. Feels sticky. Sugar has a drying effect.

Overall, one big beer. I quite like it but it is a bit on the sweet side (although I do have a sweet tooth). Alcohol is also a bit much. I do wonder if it will mellow with age. In any event, quite enjoyable.

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company