Kuhnhenn Crème Brûlée Java Stout | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

kbrewery.com

Style: American Stout

Added by marburg on 07-28-2004

1.54/5  rDev -61.4%

Pours deep brown with a tan head.

Smells like ... old stale coffee. Hurm. What were they going for here? Maybe a bit of rancid malt noticeable.

Taste is ... not good. Old, sour, stale coffee, a hint of artificial sweetness ... this tastes like awful, awful, coffee gone cold with some alcohol. Mouthfeel is flat and thin.

Well, I appreciate the chance to try this from a generous trader, but I must sadly admit it is one of the worst tasting beers I have ever had.

1.59/5  rDev -60.2%

Had on-tap at Mugs Alehouse in Brooklyn, NY.
Review taken from notes.

A - This beer pours a very dark brown color, almost black. It has a small mocha colored head on it. The head left just a little bit of lacing behind on the glass.

S - It smells like old coffee. There is an earthiness to it, as well as a weird sourness. Hmm.

T - Yep, I now know why this was on sale for $3 a glass. It is just awful. It starts off with a stale coffee flavor which is then overtaken by a very strong sourness. The sourness just ends up overpowering the whole taste.

M - This has a medium to full body and lower carbonation. It is is extremely sour and hard to get down. The sourness lingers for quite a while.

D - This is very hard to drink. The smell is not good and the flavor is just awful. I had to choke down my glass of this, and barely made it through. I would recommend steering clear of this one.

1.88/5  rDev -52.9%

Thanks to Frozensoul327 for letting me sample some Kuhnhenn stuff for the first time.

The Creme Brulee Java Stout looks and smells pretty typical for the style, thick and black, brown head, a day-old coffee grounds smell, but the taste is, literally, the worst I have ever encountered in a beer. There are undertones of flavors mirroring the smell, but the only thing you're going to notice is the sourness--it's like a goddamn warhead, only it never wears off. I could only manage a few sips. I really wanted to like this, but even if you took away the pucker, it'd only be an average coffee stout; with it, however, it is undrinkable.

2.04/5  rDev -48.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to Warrior Soul for the bottle.

January 2005 printed on bottle.
Poured a dark cappuccino chocolate brown, with tan highlights. No head, even though I poured it rather rough. An oil film lace coated the top of the beer, then subsided to a few whisps around the edges. No more lacing to speak of.
Aroma - mild coffee aroma with some creaminess and caramel. Quite malty and sweet. Very nice nose.
First taste was a bit malty then pronounced sourness took over and never let go. Tasted of day old coffee left in the coffeepot with soured cream added. Had some sour cherry essence to the taste. Not sure if it was planned, but really didn't go with this beer. There was a bit of sweetness at the beginning, but once the sour coffee taste took over, that's all I could get out of the beer.
Thin mouthfeel, boadering on watery.
Drinkability, almost nonexistant. Had trouble finishing the 12 oz. bottle I split with Cooperrip.
The worst stout I've ever encountered. I'd like to try it fresh, since this bottle was a year old.

2.25/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.26/5  rDev -43.4%

Took that one at the Mondial 2006. A nice dark black body with a dark brown thin head who disappear quickly. It really smells like a cola soft drink with a hint of peppermint (strange...) and some roasted coffee. Flavor of sour berries, black tea and chocolate mint. I didn't really liked it... In fact, I think that one was infected but maybe that was the REAL taste of it !? For sure, I wont try it again for a while.

2.28/5  rDev -42.9%

12oz bottle. Brewed February 2005. Classy label. 5.5% ABV. $8/6'er.

Pours out to a nearly opaque very dark brown, forming a small tan head despite a vigorous pour. Poor retention and absent lacing. Carbonation is mild. The aroma is predominated by black coffee, a ton of vanilla, caramelized and burnt sugar, and deeply roasted grains. Very nice aroma. Medium thin body and stinging mouthfeel. Hrmmm. The taste is odd. It's sour, and I think I better gobble this up before it gets any more sour, as it's barely tolerable now. Perhaps it's just a bad bottle. Not sweet at all, and not stoutish at all, this reminds me of the Reaper Ale with the wierd sourness. I'll have to revisit this, as this must be a bad batch (see Jetsbeer review, which was also Feb 2005). For now, I'll call it as I see it.

2.3/5  rDev -42.4%

Appearance and Presentation – The only bottle of Kuhnhenn beer that I brought back from my trip through Michigan. 12 oz bottle with February 2005 on the label. Pours black with a thin coffee head and sinks to a thin covering. Good lacing.

Smell – Coffee, toffee, slightly roasted grains. Vanilla and sweetness are both there as well.

Taste – Very sour taste, I initially assumed that this was due to the age of my bottle, but it seems like this is a common descriptor of this beer, so I will review. The sourness is similar to sour milk, I find it very unpleasant. I wonder if there was some actual milk based ingredient to cause this flavor. Behind the sourness there is a bit of coffee and sweetness. No hop flavor or bitterness is present.

Mouthfeel – Medium mouthfeel with low carbonation.

Drinkability and Notes – An unexpectedly bad beer that I could not finish. Hopefully I will get another at some point so that I can see if this sourness is as prevalent in a fresh sample. While this was my only bottle of Kuhnhenn, I did visit the brewpub and enjoyed it thoroughly.

2.36/5  rDev -40.9%

best before 8/4/05

appearance: solid dark brown with a tan head of almost zero volume. some slight swirly bubble patterns on the surface. some sightings of slight thin lacing.

aroma: kahlua. some notes of musty, aged leather.. like a baseball glove you keep in the basement.

taste: light and unreasonably sour and tart. follows through with a subtle taste of old paper. mild coffee in the background, but none of said 'creme brulee' or vanilla. what a huge disappointment flavorwise, mostly based upon the uniquely intense nose.

other: no aftertaste save a slight generic kahlua leftover. raspberry eisbock, somewhat overhyped but great. this beer is a total failure in all respects, and similar reviews show i didn't have a bad bottle. i just won't be accepting of a beer this off with an average score. i hope my 4th dementia bottle is better and worth what i gave up in the trade.

2.52/5  rDev -36.8%

Thanks to Eyedrinkale for this extra

It pours a black color with a small ring of head over top. The nose is really nice. Almost like an iced french vanilla coffee milkshake. It smells really damn good. The flavor is not good. Its almost sour. None of the great full flavor of chocolate and coffee I expect. Bleh. Not right. The feel is light and lacking the creamy thickness that I want. This beer is like that hot girl I dated in high school that told me she wouldn't put out till marriage. It teases me with a voluptuous and complex aroma only to leave me blue-balled with the flavor, feel and drinkability. I just don't dig it.

2.58/5  rDev -35.3%

Out of the bottle, this thing pours with a humungous head that clings to the sides. A pretty beer. The smell is like your nose walked into a Starbucks that just spilled a few bottles of Youngs Double Chocolate Stout on the floor. What a nose. Perhaps too big? Is that possible?
Taste? Maybe I got a bad bottle. This is the antithesis of smooth and tastes like a cold cup of coffee. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated and not very smooth. A drainpour for me.

2.69/5  rDev -32.6%

Pours a very dark color with a small head that falls fast and leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma is divine. Tons of chocolate, mocha, buttery, coffee, diacetyl, marshmallows. Smells like really good French vanilla coffee. The flavor is a huge let down. Has a strong sour thing going on that I don't care for. There is a slight coffee and chocolate flavor, but the sour is really in the majority of the flavor profile. Body is moderate at best. Drinkability isn't very good. The flavor is such a huge let-down from the aroma.

2.75/5  rDev -31.1%

2.79/5  rDev -30.1%

This was beer #4 of 4 last night & the most disappointing of the four. Last summer at the World Beer Expo, this was the hit of the festival for me, but since I only had a taste, I didn't want to review it until I had an entire glass. I must have had it built up so much in my head that this was bound disappoint. Brought to me in a pint glass out of a nitro pour. The appearance is nice - thin, tan head over deep mahogany, dark brown. Smells like vanilla cake/frosting/cake batter, burnt sugar, & roasted malt. Aside from the malt, it smells like a creme brule. Taste is vanilla sweetness up front followed by some bitter espresso & malt, but then there's a bizarre sour flavor that hits like cheap coffee - very odd. The mouthfeel was very watery, this needs to be creamier. With all of this taken into consideration, this is not very drinkable. It was actually difficult to finish. Hopefully it was just a bad batch...Not recommended.

2.91/5  rDev -27.1%

12oz. bottle provided by Frozensoul327

Pours a jet black with a small mocha head that fades. No lacing to speak of.

The aroma is amazing! A sweet, rich coffee aroma with hints of caramel. Starbucks city!

Wow, the taste is nothing like the aroma. There is a slight sweetness upfront that is quickly washed away by a very bitter/astringent coffee flavor that lingers. Very disappointed after the fantastic aroma.

Rather thin body.

I could sit and smell this one all day, but it's all I can do to finish the bottle.

3.06/5  rDev -23.3%

The beer poured into the glass hugely and wildly carbonated with only 5 ounces or so in the imperial pint before it tried to erupt out the top with a frothy and brown head which was 5" tall.

The aroma was estery and fruity with an odd green bell pepper vegetal note while the head was high. Almost a Texas Pete spice quality to the aroma after it was poured. As the head fell a chocolate and roast character began to emerge with a light bit of frutiness.

The flavor of the head was metallic and strongly so. Once the head dissipated the flavor was chocolate and roast and more of that bell pepper, but with a light bit of heat, just as if some Texas Pete had found it's way into the beer. No beer in their listing has anything to do with peppers, but the flavor was bell pepper and slithly hot. A very light tartness was present, but not enough to make one think the beer was infected except for the gradeur of the head.

The finish was dry with a light lasting roast and bell pepper into the aftertaste. The body was medium light with a huge level of carbonation which caused the body to seem less than it was. I have no idea what is going on in this beer. Every time I have had it previous it had too much diacetyl for my preference. Now we have a huge presence of vegetal notes, but they are not cooked corn, it is raw, green bell pepper, and Texas Pete. Something is amiss and who the heck knows what it might be.

12 ounce bottle, March 2006 on the label. Many thanks to hoppdeup!

3.2/5  rDev -19.8%

Dense black. Very thin dark tan cap. Super creamed collar remains. Minimal lace in some some spots and skinny sheeting.

Aroma has a good medley of roasted mocha milked coffee with chocolate additions to its roast. A tender amount of dark cherry and purple grapes steep underneath.

Taste is a load of sour milked chocolate. Wow, a doozy of weird souring cream and strangely bitter coffee flavors break the surface up front with tremedous force and brashness. Smoothes off the back end with very light smoothness of chocolate cake and cookie dough. Stays pretty sour and sad for most of its duration. I'm wondering if this may be an infected bottle?

Feel is slippery and smooth with a lighter medium body and some empty areas. Not all that active or playful. Just kinda there. Sourness is getting in the way of most of what the feel potentially could be?

I'll need to get another bottle or more to determine the infected theory. Still seemed OK to me in a way but the weird sour tone conjured up a bad vibe on this one. Sorry Tim, I think I'll need some more...

3.39/5  rDev -15%

terrific brewed coffee aroma, and very nice appearance. The rest of the experience is average. There is vanilla, some woodiness, but surprisingly sour. A fresh newly bottled beer, thanks to Tim (IPFreely) for sharing. Much better in the imperial version.

3.43/5  rDev -14%

12oz bottle from nortentimber as part of BIF18. Thanks for the opportunity. Bottle dated February 2005, best before June, hope this one's better than the last.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" light brown head above the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head fades slowly to a continuous film of small bubbles, with nice lacing. Aroma is coffee, with a slight sour fruity tinge to it. Uh oh. Taste is actually reasonably well balanced between coffee and fruity (cherry?) tartness, sort a light lambic thing going on. Mouthfeel is average, maybe a bit above, with smoothness overcoming the sourness a bit, and drinkability is okay. Just have trouble believing this brew is supposed to be like this. And I would think a stout would last in good storage for longer than the prescribed 4 months. Oh well.

3.47/5  rDev -13%

This is a February 2005 bottle almost 10 months later and judging from the reviews it is way past its prime. Too bad because it looked great - dark with solid black coffee with sugar sweetness. The taste was like a beer cocktail combining a coffee stout with a sour lambic. Some may like this blend but sad to say that I had to dump it. It didn't make me gag but the taste and smell do not work together. Thanks to mjohn27603 for throwing this in a recent trade.

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

64 oz. growler poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Pours black with some transparency at the edge. No real head. Just a thin collar and some bubbles clinging to the inside of the glass.

Smell - Wow, incredible aroma. Coffee, vanilla, roasted malts. Delicious.

Taste - Sweet vanilla and coffee up front. Becomes extremely roasty. Very bitter. Overpowering bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Extremely bitter that makes it tough to drink.

Overall - Smells and tastes quite nice until that roasted bitterness takes over.

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%