Kuhnhenn Crème Brûlée Java Stout | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Style: American Stout

Added by marburg on 07-28-2004

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last
2.69/5  rDev -34.5%

Pours a very dark color with a small head that falls fast and leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma is divine. Tons of chocolate, mocha, buttery, coffee, diacetyl, marshmallows. Smells like really good French vanilla coffee. The flavor is a huge let down. Has a strong sour thing going on that I don't care for. There is a slight coffee and chocolate flavor, but the sour is really in the majority of the flavor profile. Body is moderate at best. Drinkability isn't very good. The flavor is such a huge let-down from the aroma.

2.36/5  rDev -42.6%

best before 8/4/05

appearance: solid dark brown with a tan head of almost zero volume. some slight swirly bubble patterns on the surface. some sightings of slight thin lacing.

aroma: kahlua. some notes of musty, aged leather.. like a baseball glove you keep in the basement.

taste: light and unreasonably sour and tart. follows through with a subtle taste of old paper. mild coffee in the background, but none of said 'creme brulee' or vanilla. what a huge disappointment flavorwise, mostly based upon the uniquely intense nose.

other: no aftertaste save a slight generic kahlua leftover. raspberry eisbock, somewhat overhyped but great. this beer is a total failure in all respects, and similar reviews show i didn't have a bad bottle. i just won't be accepting of a beer this off with an average score. i hope my 4th dementia bottle is better and worth what i gave up in the trade.

3.71/5  rDev -9.7%

A very different kind of offering from the brewers at Kuhnhenn. So many of the aspects of this brew were like coffee, I thought I was drinking coffee. Poured out to a dark brown, nearly black color, with very low carbonation. Head dissipated in less that a minute, and no traces of lace. Great aroma of caramel, coffee and vanilla. Too bad the taste didn't match the smell. Strong flavors of coffee, toffee, chocolate were noted, with an almost sour citrus like finish. Aftertaste is nearly the same. Not a bad beer, but nothing I would buy a case of (unlike their Tangerine Wit). None the less, worth a try, just to see what a well made brew can smell like.

UPDATED REVIEW.

Same as above, but I have found, drank straight from the bottle, the flavor is much more intense and enjoyable. Taste went from 2.5 to 3.5. Just my findings. Cheers!

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

This brew is very thick and dark. There is little head or lacing to speak of. One whiff of this beer and the coffee is undeniable. The scent is overpowering. There is a hint of roasted malt in the nose but not much.

The taste is much the same as the smell. The roasted malt is apparent but the coffee completely dominates. They must use a lot of it in the brewing process.

The mouthfeel is extremely thick and chewy, definitely a sipping beer. Because the beer is so overwhelming I don't think I could have more than one in a sitting. This is a unique brew, but one that I have to be in the right mood for.

3.99/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz bottle courtesy of Gaisgeil
Pours a deep opaque brown with a small tan head. Retention is non-existant, but collar is kind of nice.
Smell is whipped cream, very sweet milk chocolate, slight coffee.
Taste is slight hops up front (Which I have to say is kind of interesting as I wasn't expecting any from this beer), followed by milk, whipped cream, milk and dark cocolates, and coffee.
Mouthfeel isn't nearly as slick as I would have thought by smelling this one. Quite even if this is definitely a desert beer. I would see myself having this one again for certain.
Overall I find it amazing that these flavors can even exist in a beer, let alone in such a way that is well balanced and easy to drink. Drinkability only suffers from my point of view because this is a desert beer and I personally can't drink more than one of these in a sitting.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

I'll start off by saying how much I really like this beer. And the six pack is very fresh. The store just got this in today.

O.K. Now I can review it.

This one pours out to a wonderful blackness in the glass with a slight head. The aroma is that of roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. The taste, while thin for a stout in some respects, makes up for it in the varying tastes that come to the forefront. I tasted coffee, chocolate, vanilla all wrapped up in not a high alcohol imperial style of beer but one clocking in at under 6% ABV, which puts this at a high factor for drinkability. Its defintely different, but in a good way.

You could actually session this beer if you wanted to.

You know what?

That is what I am doing right now.

Well done K Bro's.

2.28/5  rDev -44.5%

12oz bottle. Brewed February 2005. Classy label. 5.5% ABV. $8/6'er.

Pours out to a nearly opaque very dark brown, forming a small tan head despite a vigorous pour. Poor retention and absent lacing. Carbonation is mild. The aroma is predominated by black coffee, a ton of vanilla, caramelized and burnt sugar, and deeply roasted grains. Very nice aroma. Medium thin body and stinging mouthfeel. Hrmmm. The taste is odd. It's sour, and I think I better gobble this up before it gets any more sour, as it's barely tolerable now. Perhaps it's just a bad bottle. Not sweet at all, and not stoutish at all, this reminds me of the Reaper Ale with the wierd sourness. I'll have to revisit this, as this must be a bad batch (see Jetsbeer review, which was also Feb 2005). For now, I'll call it as I see it.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

This is another beer brought to me by my brother-in-law, trbeer.

It's nearly black, without much head. It smells like chocolate milk, perhaps with subtle smoke and coffee notes. It tastes like chocolate milk, but with a bit of a tangy, white-winey snap at the end. There is also a fine-textured effervescence. Not bad at all.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Aroma is of coffee with some sweetness. Had on nitro tap. Taste is great. It seems like I am drinking custard. The carmelized sugar is definitely present without being overwhelming. This might taste good with some orange flavor too. I've never quite drank anything like this before. Quite a unique combination. The stout works beautifully with the coffee and carmelized sugars. Sweetness with roasted notes. It takes you on an interesting taste journey through the glass. Have when fresh. A repeat visit some weeks later would cause me lower my ratings by 0.5. I think this is one of the most solid efforts by Kuhnhenn. Very smooth mouthfeel. I also tried the bottled version and it didn't have the mouthfeel or the carmelized sugars in great presence.

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

This is why we BAs try new beers. Crème Brulee pours virtually black, with just ever so subtle highlights of deep mahogany around the edges. It's topped by a toffee colored head. The aroma is reminiscent of sweet hot chocolate, with vanilla and caramel notes mixed in with the coffee and chocolate. The flavor is absolutely mind blowing. Heavy cream, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, caramel, molasses, and then the hints of hops and roasted malt. The aftertaste is cocoa sweetness with a touch of hop bitterness. Caramel and dark chocolate lingers on the tail end. The flavor draws out for a good while, and you could really stretch a pint of this beer. Very easy to sit and savor, but just as easy to have more than a couple. The mouthfeel is just ultra creamy, silky, sexy. I considered skipping my flight for this beer, but thankfully they provided me with a couple bottles for the trip home. This is that beer that falls into the top 1% of beers you drink. I feel enriched having had the opportunity to experience it. I will pine for a return trip to the Motor City and Kuhnhenn.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks again Clark! This Kuhnhenn stout sure does resemble the acclaimed Founders Breakfast stout. It is very dark brown and proposes a nice off-white ring. Its aroma is an overwhelming espresso medley, not even beany, this wins big points considering the vanilla undertones. I rarely encounter them without this usually unpleasant beany aspect. Strong chocolate complexities make this a total dessert brew. Strongly carbonated body, medium in size. It has pleasant sweet and tart vanilla essence notes that match the chocolate in an overall sweet flavour profile that doesn’t quite match the aroma, but this remains a surprisingly good stout.

3.69/5  rDev -10.2%

Split a bottle of this lovely beer the other night, I was quite excited about having something called Creme Brulee Java Stout. Sounds like heaven in a bottle! It wasn't quite that, but still good. The beer was very dark brown, reddish up to the light, with a light brown fat head that settles down to a thin layer which lasts throughout the glass. The aroma kind of got to me. It took me a few sniffs before I was OK with it. I thought it smelled like sweet sweet coffee with the slightest creaminess, some sourness, and covered in dust from some attic. Really, I got a weird musty smell mixed in with the roasty desserty goodness. Tasted better than it smelled, thankfully. There is a highly acidic flavour which helps to balance out the sweetness and roastiness of the beer, so no one taste is overpowering. I got a dry, almosty fruity (grapey?) aftertaste. Not bad. Mouthfeel was good and creamy, not too thick though. Drinkability for me is not the best- I would maybe have this again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get ahold of a bottle. Mainly because the sour musty smell kept punching me in the face, and not in a real good way. The taste made up for that a bit, but didn't cancel it out. I was glad for the opportunity to taste it though!!

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

12oz bottle with a nice label. February 2005 edition. Damn is this brewery excellent, I can't wait to make my pilgrimage in a few weeks:-)

Dark black with red ruby edges. Head is tan coloured in nature and billowy. The aroma screams of strong dark roasted colombian coffee beans, roasted malts also come into play. There is also a slight hint of vanilla in the background. The taste is all roasted coffee. Bitter and acidic. There is also a sweetness in the background and hints of vanilla bean, sugar, and perhaps even the creme brulee that this brew is named after. The mouthfeel is light, considering all of the flavor that is packed into this gem. It's also acidic and a little lactic on the tongue. One can certainly tell that a double/imperial version of this brew beefed up to about 10%abv with a thick-ass mouthfeel would be legendary. Hopefully the brothers Kuhnhenn take note! Drinkability is good as well, but not perfect. The mouthfeel and acidic sweetness of this could get annoying after a while. But if I had a six pack in front of me, it would probably be gone by the end of the night. Another majestic creation from this brewery that sits amongst my personal favorites. Thanks to walleye for the sample!

I must say, this is a solid and interesting brew bottled, but it barely holds a candle to the tap version, honestly.

From my tap review:
Pours a dark black with a dark brown thin head that disappated quickly. Smell was malty with notes of banana, coffee and chocolate, truly made my mouth water. The taste does not dissappoint following suit closely with the nose but the coffee is much stronger than I initially expected. Mouthfeel was quite full and a little sticky but somehow still smooth and is was an easy one to drink. Being a stout lover I could drink these all night easily.

All of this stands true, but the experience seems a bit flatter, less robust and much less fresh somehow. Still very good though, worth getting if you can't get it draft.

Slàinte!

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

Smells like Irish Cream liqueur and Kahlua. Reminds me of what I sometimes drank when I was nineteen. B-52s, Spanish Coffees and Black Russians were good for a little sugar rush after a heavy bout with 1) macro beers, 2) a job, or 3) anything else that beat you down.
On the palate it is dry at least. Strapped with roasted bitterness, tangy coffee beans, spices and vanilla. The texture is limp and charged with soft, doughy fizz. Brandy, coffee, orange liqueur, chocolate cake, marshmallows and deep, sticky, resiny bitterness are the flavors.
Chewing upon drink after drink of this beer is a little tiring. Artificially-flavored coffee glycerins seem to penetrate all sensory surfaces ruthlessly. I'd just as soon drink "Hazelnut" flavored coffee.
Not an adult beer. I'm not sure how much of this is natural and how much is petroleum-based flavoring agent.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

from the tap at the brewery.pored black brown a nice size tan head. aroma hazelnut caramel,dark cherries, Irish cream. flavor same as above. wow this is a greak java even though this is differant than bells java it is far better I just hope they keep brewing this.

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

After having the blueberry that these guys make, this was the coffee with my pancakes. Wow, what a great dessert beer. I love the look of the dark beers, and this one doesn't dissapoint. Nice chocolate mix with toffee creme head. After all the beers I sampled at the World Beer Festival yesterday, this was the most unique. The combination of flavors and smells was off the planet. Vanilla, coffee, caramel, creme, malty, thick and yummy!!! Sweet, but not sickly sweet. I would love to have this with creme brule'. Wow, what a beer!

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

What a great chance to try some of the different brews from this place yesterday at the World Beer Fest,this poured a deep dark brown with an almond colored head awesome aromas of caramel and dark roast coffee this hit the nose and woke me up.Taste couldnt get any better like eating vanilla/caramel ice with a hint of coffee.The mouthfeel was amazing like biting into a marshmellow cant think of a better dessert beer I have ever had thats for sure.next time I go home I might have to take a trip down to Warren for this place.

4.39/5  rDev +6.8%

Another in the "Breakfast of Champions" series from Kuhnhenn's and sampled in large quantities at the Michigan Beer Festival.

Immediately recalls the feeling of sniffing fresh creme brulee. Aromatics suggest some sort of strange Starbucks concocction with caramel, exotic flavored coffee, and french vanilla. Smooth in the nose like smelling a fresh crepe before it's filled. Luxurious brunch sensations in a glass. A nasal wet dream.

Similar sensations drive the flavor. French vanilla flavored coffee is the dominant force. More roasted flavor than the nose implies, but this is still not a heavily bitter or roasty brew. Instead, one of the surprisingly pleasant balancing flavor is a mild tartness. Strikes me as a bit "engineered" -- but good.

One of the most unique and impressively creative beers I've ever tried.

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last