Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth DementiaKuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company
kbrewery.com

Style: Old Ale

This is our 4th Dementia Olde Ale that has been bourbon barrel aged. This ale has an intense sweet caramel malt flavor and aroma that develops into a toffee/toasted marsh mellow like character.

Added by alexgash on 12-14-2006

4.5

Ratings: 1,906 |  Reviews: 412

4.91/5  rDev +9.1%

This one thanks to franklinn!
2011 vintage poured into snifter

Pour: Color is a dark murky brown reminding me of very dirty water. No head to speak of but does leave a small collar around edge of glass. No light penetrating this at all. Not a pleasant looking beer to be honest.

Smell: Well here we go! Right up front is a big punch of bourbon and a huge sweet dark fruit component. I get booze soaked raisins and figs and plums. I get toffee, butterscotch, molasses, vanilla, marshmallow, and caramel. Now this is one hell of a nice smelling beer!

Taste: First sip had me reeling and I said out loud, this is fantastic! I taste initially the sweet toffee, caramel and vanilla. This yields to the dark fruits noted in the smell and then the alcohol and bourbon take hold on the finish and linger in the aftertaste. The barrel character really shines at the end and in the fantastic aftertaste with some wood notes rounding it out. A sweet beer for sure but does not get cloyingly sweet as everything seems to be in harmonious balance. Let me note that at 13.5% abv I would like to know how it is so well hidden? A slight burn but very enjoyable because it lets me know I am drinking a well crafted beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium to reaching for a full feel. I think it is the sweet sticky like quality that gives it the feel here. No carbonation really to cut the sweetness but I don't care. Sticks to my lips and tongue with syrup like consistency that has me craving more.

Overall: First time for me with this one and I have to say it has lived up to it's hype. I find this to be a fantastic sipping beer with absolutely everything I look for in this style. I am now on an indefinite ISO for this beer. I truly can not say enough good things about this beer. Hits all the marks for me! Well minus the appearance but honestly who the fuck cares what it looks like when it smells and tastes this good!!

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Drove out to Kuhhenn's in Warren, wanted the 2012 4D but was also offered the bourbon barrel version, opted four the bourbon. Provided in their own Kuhnhenn tulip glass.

A: What a sight, a deep almost opaque cloudy/murky maroon/brown color, with not much much head, limited to a lighter color brown hugging the sides of the glass with bits of lacing here and there.

S: Smells delicious, caramel, brown sugars, malts, yeast, honey, and booze.

T: Wow. What a taste, such sweetness, honey, brown sugars, caramel, toffee, malts, yeast, all contrasted by that kick in the teeth bourbon/whiskey after burn along with that booze. What a mix, that was incredible. To be enjoyed in a slow and un-rushed fashion.

M: Rich, medium body beer right here. Medium carbonation. Sumptuous and complex flavors, rich sweetness paired with the jaw jacking bourbon backlash. It was intense and strong after taste, but none the less, very good.

O: This was outside the box, the unexpected. Paid $8 for the tulip, fairly reasonable for what I got, some city bars charge $8 for bud shit lights, this was worth every penny and then some. Kuhnhenn is an incredible place to be and an incredible brewery, I recommend visiting the brewery if you can, as well as trying this beer.

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Side by side of a 2012 and 2013. Notes from the 2012.

Appearance: pours a brown color. almost the look of worn leather. small tannish head that fades quickly and leaves nothing behind. leaves behind some brown legs as its swirled. some haze and sediment, opaque.

Smell: bourbon, booze, brown sugar. dark fruits. vanilla and toffee.

Taste: opens up with caramel and toffee. bourbon and vanilla, along with some oak. dark fruits and alcohol.

Mouthfeel: thick and chewy. strong alcohol.

Overall: nice and tasty big beer. I prefer the regular because I like the way the malts develop over time but this is still a great beer.

4.19/5  rDev -6.9%

2011 Vintage poured into a tulip. This was included as part of the 8 Crazy Nights BIF, by rjm217.

A – This beer pours murky, almost muddy raisin color with absolutely no head. Swirling the glass barely creates some light bubbles that form at the edges. I finally understand what people say when they describe legs on a beer. This one coats the sides of the glass and then slides down slowly.

S – Woah! Huge bourbon aroma, with oak, rum soaked raisins, prunes, vanilla and hints of cocoa round out the nose. I’m not a huge fan of “Olde Ales” usually due to the overbearing aromas and extremely high ABV, but this is a wonderful smelling beer.

T – This beer starts off extremely sweet, with sweet booze soaked raisins, dark stone fruits, fig, vanilla and leather. The finish has a slight coffee like bitterness, but is still very sweet.

M – Thick and slick with very minimal carbonation. For the 13.5% abv, this beer isn't as warming as I would expect to be. For the style of beer that this is I would expect nothing else.

O – As I mentioned, I’m not the biggest fan of the style, but this is a great beer. Very drinkable for the high ABV. Really a great beer.

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Going live on this one:

2010 bottlng. A dark murky brown pour that is like a swamp after a flood. Not pretty but to the style.

The smell conjures up coffee, toffee, and booze. Kalhua almost. My father says high surfactant-ness on the brew. Good luck knowing what that is.

The mouthfeel lacks cabonation. Who cares once you get into the old ale stuff, especially aged this is par for the course.

More toasted coconut, burnt toffee, dark roasted mocha coming out. Caramel bomb shining through as it opens.

Overall well enjoyed.