Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth DementiaKuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company
kbrewery.com

Style: Old Ale

This is our 4th Dementia Olde Ale that has been bourbon barrel aged. This ale has an intense sweet caramel malt flavor and aroma that develops into a toffee/toasted marsh mellow like character.

Added by alexgash on 12-14-2006

4.5

Reviews: 409 | Ratings: 1,879
4.79/5  rDev +6.4%

Look:
Dark, muddy brownish red with almost no head.

Smell:
Bold caramel aromas blended with mixed spices, bourbon, and dark fruits. This is an incredible smelling beer.

Taste:
Does not disappoint. Intense flavors of caramel, bourbon, raisins, cherries, plum, and molasses stand out. Undertones of cinnamon, rich wood, vanilla, cider and biscuit. Hints of coffee and dark chocolate round out the complex list of flavors.

Feel:
Heavy yet not overwhelming. Compliments it's sipping style well.

This is a big, bold beer. With such complex flavors there's a high chance of something going wrong. But this is an artfully crafted brew that left nothing unaccounted for.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured cloudy brown color with an average frothy light brown creamy head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Heavy aroma of complex sweet bourbon. Medium to full body with smooth texture and flat carbonation . Heavy complex sweet bourbon flavor with a medium to heavy sweet bourbon finish of moderate to long duration. My expectations were met with a complex standout brew.

4.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Kuhnhenn is a brewery most haven't heard of.

Most also haven't smelled my apartment this morning.

Eight hours after opening Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia (2011) I'm still reeling from the aroma.  A hard pour produced little to no head on top of the swampy dark brown ruby hued body. No fizzy bubbles to carry the smell up to the nose. No worries - BB4D has no use for bubbles. Vanilla, toffee, coffee, sugarcane, flan, roasted oats, baked yams, rum raisin, cherries, the smoke drifting from a small village stocked with Top Chef contestants. That's the smell of this beer. Oh yeah, and bourbon.

The taste doesn't stack up (how could it?) and is mostly malty sweetness, alcohol, and bourbon. Not much bitterness to speak of. It's not bad. In fact, it's extremely good. And The thick body solidifies this as a dessert Old Ale if there ever was one. But it's not matching the smell.

This is a drinkable beer if it's the only one you're having that evening. It's the best smelling velvet you will ever open from a bottle. An "A" rating does not do the smell justice.

But maybe... just maybe... it's a bit too much?

I only ask because I've been blowing bourbon barrel boogers all day.

4.95/5  rDev +10%

Found on the shel mixed among standard 4D. Poured into my newly bought Founder's snifter.

A: Deep toffee brown. Slight head that quickly dissapates.

S: Lot's going on here. Toffee, raisins, among other things I cannot pinpoint. The alcoho is there as well.

T: Just like the smell, this beer has many layers. I typically do not like old ales. This one is exceptional.

M: Much thicker than your run of the mill craft brew, but not quite syrupy. Exactly how I would want it.

O: One of my favorites beers that is not a Stout. Well done. I am glad I live so close to Warren and can find this on the shelf at beer stores from time to time.

4.88/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz/8.99$ at Decicco's Ardsley

Serving temp: Slightly Chilled

Glassware : Obnoxiusly Sized Ridel Bordeaux

Pours a deep brown hue, hues of auburn and coagulated blood. Fine bubbled light sand head with little retention goes missing soon after the glass gets to the table.

Smells of raisin, port, sherry, fig, burnt sugar, sweet malt, light vanilla and milk chocolate notes. A smell combo that sometimes makes me shy away from old ales but there's something reassuring in the nose that let's me know I'm in for something special.

The taste, albeit similar to the aroma, removes the only things I dislike about the aroma which is tough to pin down what, maybe the fig, has been removed and all the things I like about the nose have been amplified and complemented by the barrel treatment. Vanilla caramel, light bourbon, light plum and subtle wood tanins makes this truly wonderful to experience.

Mouthfeel is to style but the alcohol heat isn't until the end and is delightfully warming. Carbonation is spot on and removes the usual trudgig through the super high abv beers. It's a nice 75 out and even being used to low 60s all the time it's not a sickly syrupy difficulty to get through.

Overall this has changed my views on old ales and has me wanting to try the '88 Thomas Hardy's and the Bourbon Barrel Old stock and give old ales another shot Barrel treated or not.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz bottle courtesy of erikkoppin (thank you!), into a snifter.

A - Pours a murky, cloudy auburn-brown. Not much of anything as far as head, retention, or lacing. I wasn't expecting much considering the abv, but this is looking flat.

S - Caramel, toffee, vanilla, and some roast. Definitely smells like it's on the sweet side, and I have to admit that I'm loving the aroma.

T - Wow, this is awesome. More vanilla, burnt sugar, toasted coconut, and hints of nuttiness. Like a combination of creme brulee topped with marshmellow and peanut brittle. This is great, great stuff. Not much alcohol evident, although I'm starting to get warm.

M - Thick and creamy, with light carbonation. I was concerned about the carbonation after the pour didn't show much, but it turned out pretty nice. More on the sweet side than dry, with a lingering finish.

O - I've heard good things about this beer, and I have to say that it definitely lives up to the hype. It works great as a dessert beer given the sweetness. It's somewhere between HOTD Matt and Cherry Adam, and to be honest it's better than both of them. Really glad that I traded for some of this. Also very glad that it comes in packs of smaller bottles, and that I still have three more.

4.81/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to BeerWorld for the bottle.

A - Pours a dark reddish brown, with a small head. Pretty unassuming.

S - Wow the nose on this beer is amazing. Big time toffee, oak, vanilla, bourbon, leather, sweet candy. The smell on this one is one of the best malty beers I've had.

T - The taste follows through, this beer is top notch. It is sweet, but smooth. Big bourbon, rich malty flavor, toffee, bourbon, vanilla, some booze, and maybe a little tobacco and leather. The sweetness is up front, but is so darn tasty and finishes smooth that this one is up with the best.

M - Low carbonation, a little syrupy... not bad, but nothing really to speak of.

O - Having had this twice now, this has become one of my personal favorites. The nose and taste on this beer are stunning, and I would be a happy man to have a case of this in my cellar.... unfortunately I'll have to live with the 3 bottles I have left.

4.74/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured in to a snifter.

Essentially black, but once held to the light it's actually a very dark mahogany. Super thin head dissipates to only a tiny ring around the glass. No lacing.

Wow this smells awesome. Lots of caramel, bourbon, oak, maple, molasses, and vanilla. A deep enough inhalation after swirling the glass actually burns my nose from the alcohol.

Very strong molasses and maple. One of the strongest bourbon flavors I've tasted in a beer. Lots of caramel, toasted malt, and woody oak as well. The alcohol is well hidden for 13.5%, but it's certainly there; although it doesn't burn either. This is damn good.

I love the mouth feel. It's full bodied and syrupy. Little carbonation.

This is an amazing brew and totally worth seeking out. Anyone that likes bourbon barrel aged beers would LOVE this

4.14/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a Snifter glass.

A - Dark Carmel brown with only a few tan bubbles on the edges.

S - There is lots going on here. Spices, carmel, old fruit, brown sugar.

T - Toffee, carmel, brown sugar, some slight vanilla tones.

D - No carbonation at all. Very, very sweet.

4.94/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a thick syrupy caramel into a tulip glass with very little head.

Smell - wow what a great smelling brew. vanilla, Bourbon, cinnamon, nutmeg, roasted malt and alcohol.

Taste - follows the nose really well. Tons of sweetness with the vanilla, bourbon, and holiday spices. The alcohol is present but nowhere near the 13% this bottle claims. Amazing brew well worth the wait.

Mouthfeel - super smooth and very easy to drink. The carbonation is very tame and almost not present. As it warms the alcohol stands out a little more but still remains very smooth.

Overall - the only beer better than this is KBS. I love them both equally.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

aquired as an extra in trade with kdub87. Thanks Kirk! Drinkn this side by side with the non-barrel aged version of 4D.

Pouted into tulip glass.

Appearance: brown beer with red highlights. Ablsolutely no no head even after an aggressive pour.

Smell: Beer smell just like it tastes. Caramel, vanilla, dark fruits, toffee, and bourbon.

Taste: Another nice, malty beer with the flavor of sweet caramel and vanilla. Hints of toffee and candied sugar. Some dark fruits are also present in the background of the beer. Alcohol is more present in this version, than non-BA version. Still no major burn from alcohol.

Mouthfeel: The beer remains creamy and smooth. Full bodied and low carbonation. This beer is a bit more sticky than non-barrel aged version.

Overall: I prefer the barrell aged version of 4D to the original version; both awesome beers. This is my second beer by this brewery. It is fantastic! Thanks Kirk!

3.88/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to capra12 for picking this one up for me. Most recent vintage. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Darkness snifter.

A: Standard pour yields no head. Beer is a muddy brown/clay. No lacing and minimal legs. A really sad looking beer.

S: Nose is caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, some dark fruit, and booze that tickles the nose. Aromatic and deep though a bit one dimensional with such a strong alcohol presence.

T: Opens caramel, brown sugar, sweet plum, anise, molasses, and booze. Hugely sweet throughout. Some more fruitiness makes itself present towards the middle with layers of chocolate and vanilla coming in towards the end. Finish is boozy with some nice burnt brown sugar and more molasses in the aftertaste. Nice complexity and a lot of different layers. Very Enjoyable.

M: Full bodied with low carbonation. Oily and viscous in the mouth. Very robust and heavy going down. Booziness is noticeable. Finish is messy with a lingering aftertaste. Very over the top.

O: A real meal in a bottle, Kuhnhenn BA 4D is everything you'd expect it to be. Heavy, boozy, and incredibly rich, and complex. Its a solid beer but nowhere near as good as the ratings indicate in my opinion. Still worth trying though.

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #100!

Pours a deep reddish brown with almost no head.

Smell consists of bourbon vanilla notes. It smells somewhat sweet but not overwhelmingly so. Also apparent are notes of toffee, oak and dried dark fruits including raisins.

Tastes of vanilla, chocolate raisins and figs. I also get a bit of chocolate chip cookie that is fantastic. Alcohol is somewhat apparent, but is not at all overbearing. A bit of breadiness. Wonderfully complex assortment of flavors that seem to meld together nicely.

Mouthfeel is medium thick and coats the palate nicely. There is a slight warming from the alcohol.

Overall, this is a sipper in the best sense of the term. There is so much flavor in each sip, it is best enjoyed a small amount at a time. This is one of the better examples of barrel aging really improving a beer, as I thought the regular 4th D was good, but nowhere near this enjoyable.

4.36/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish snifter. It poured dark brown in color with a thin tan ring clinging to the edges of the glass. It looked somewhat thin and still overall, I'll cut it some slack on the stillness with the barrel aging and high alcohol content though.

The aroma shows a lot of the bourbon barrel aging character to it. I get some big woody and vanilla notes along with a good blast of bourbon alcohol. I get some great depth to it with dark, bitter-sweet chocolate, leather and a little smoke. The bourbon is a little hot maybe, but overall the flavors are excellent. Things really come together nicely and give it some great dept hand complexity. I love the way the barrel and beer flavors integrate so well and both seem to equally shine. After reading the back of the bottle I really do get the toasted marshmallow, but didn't pick it out myself initially.

The taste starts out with some of the sweeter, malty flavors to it with some caramel and brown sugar notes coming through. Midway, I start to get the vanilla and oak mixing with some dark chocolate, roasty flavors. In the finish the bourbon really starts to come out and lingers with the bitter sweet chocolate. A little hot in the finish, but that is really the only minor criticism I can nitpick at. Again everything really comes together nicely in it.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side with carbonation being low. A little slick or creaminess in the mouthfeel would have really gone a long way for me. The carbonation was very nice for the style though.

Overall it was an excellent beer and I'd definitely put it up there as one of the best bourbon barrel beers I've had. I found myself comparing it a lot to BCS on the bourbon barrel flavor aspect, which is a huge compliment given how much I love that beer. If a little hotness fades with some aging I could easily see this beer pushing the score into my very top tier. Everything came together in it perfectly and even though the barrel character was very pronounced, the beer still was able to shine. A few minor nit-picky criticisms on the look and mouthfeel, but overall a fantastic beer.

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

A - A dark, rich, coppery brown. Awesome color, but no head to speak of.

S - mmm... sweet bourbony vanilla caramel toffee delicious. No hint of alcohol to speak of. One of the very best-smelling beers I've ever had.

T - mmm... buttery vanilla caramel bourbon toffee sweet amazing. The flavor caresses my tongue and lingers like a lover's embrace. A touch of alcohol on the finish, like a teasing pinch as she departs.

M - Smooth, decadent, and rich. No carbonation. I'm looking for criticisms, and it might be just a bit thinner than ideal. Still really really good.

Overall, this is an amazing beer. Super awesomely amazing. The cats' pajamas. The wasps' nipples.

It's good.

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Buffs9 (edit: also got a bottle in the mail from steelersx the day after posting this review) for hooking me up with a four pack of this beast. 2010 batch poured into a pair of Portsmouth snifters and shared with TulipSnifter.

A: Mahogany, good clarity, flat as a pancake. Forget legs, this has waves! 5/5

S: Big wood soaked in peppery bourbon, vanilla, and a touch of pie spice make this a keeper. 4.5/5

T: The bourbon is strong with this one. The oaky barrel notes are bold and spicy. Milky Way candy bars, cherry cordials, and some vanilla keep this flavor profile decadent and tilted toward the super sweet. 4.5/5

M: Thick, viscous, and a real dessert beer. That alcohol really is quite tongue numbing. 4.5/5

O: This is such a rich beer. If I'm looking for a fault it's that there is some rustic character to add a counter-point to the sweetness. That's a reach though. This is phenomenal. 4.5/5

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

2010 vintage. A big thanks to the traders who sent me this.

A - Pours a caramel color with a few bubbles, my expectations instantly drop.

S - Molasses, bourbon, vanilla, oak.

T - Like a tootsie roll in a shot of bourbon. Chocolate, vanilla, molasses, and oak. It's decadent and hard to see how it could get better.

M/D - The lack of carbonation is perfect. I thought it would be hard to finish a bottle, but the second it warmed up I couldn't stop sipping it. A great barrel aged old ale, probably the best out there consider the price and availably of it.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

Consumed 5-21-11, as the rapture was supposed to take place, but didn't (but did!).

Pours a thick and cloudy brown, topped briefly by a light skim, then a bare cap, and barely a ring. A swirl leaves oily sheen on my snifter.

Alcohol greets my nose, carrying dark caramel, wonderful barrel notes of oak, bourbon, and vanilla, a touch of tannic and herbal, a few even lighter aromas I can't identify but which give a marvelous complexity.

Good God Amighty!! I am so glad the world is not ending as I drink this, I have three more of these in the cellar! Forget the usual clinical deconstruction of attributes normal reviewing style uses. All the aromas come together as flavors to make one of the most staggeringly delicious beers this fine beer lover ever has tasted, or likely will again. Words are inadequate here, let me add only that, as a homebrewer, I hope someday to approach the skill level required to make a beer this supremely delicious!

Highly viscous, yet somehow creamy and easy drinking, low carb. that adds just enough zing to propel the flavors into the pleasure centers of the brain, and a finish that destroys reason and defies reality.

Overall this is one of the best beers I have ever tried, and second only to Alpine Great in the high Alcohol barrel aged type of styles I especially enjoy.

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Bottle purchased at brewery in April.

A- No head at all. Almost thought it went flat. Slightly transparent copper red.

S- Light sweet bourbon.

T- Sweet vanilla, boozy bourbon, no bitter hops.

M- Smooth, almost no carbonation with alcohol burn finish.

O: One of my favorite beers...

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%

-2010 vintage

Poured vigorously into my glass and got almost no head to speak of. A deep, dark burgundy almost brown color. Boozy nose. Vanilla bean, bourbon and charred wood at first. Aromas of raisins, fruitcake and butterscotch. Makes me think of pecan pie, chocolate cake batter or browned butter. Warm mayple syrup and brown sugar come to mind as well.

Sweet upfront in the palate, with little to no carbonation. Some stickyness on the lips, not too boozy. I taste rye bread, charred wood almost a peaty smokeyness. Lots of butterscotch, browned butter and toffee, caramel notes. Reminds me of amaretto and hazelnut liquor or coffee creamers. The bourbon and vanilla is well balanced. It does become flat rather quickly though making it a little thin in the mouth. There's a dessert-like quality to the brew.
Walnut or banana bread, with almonds coated in brown sugar and toasted.

Warming, mayple syrup, and burnt toffee feel in the finish.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

A - Absolutley flat, little to no carbonation or head or lacing. A shimmering kind of burgundy to maroon, dark chocolate looking tone.

N - Rich boozy almost vinous notes, vanilla bean, overwhelmingly toasty and bready w/ dark roasted malt, faint suggestion of fresh pineapple, some medicinal/astringent-like.

T/M - Over the top vanilla bean and toffee-like flavors dominate this beer up front, and then the finish leaves you with a nice drying, fig like aftertaste. When you fist sip and get a big sugary rush up front, you start to think "Holy Shit, here we go!" but then the finish levels out with oaky tannin crispness. I was very surprised by the balancing act this beer pulls off. More notes of dark chocolate, maple syrup, bacon grease, a nice savory presence of white pepper to clove-like, and a scotch kind of dryness about it.

D - A total sipper, the alcohol is masked much better than the regualr 4D, this beer was made to be aged in oak. It's a great combination.

4.14/5  rDev -8%

2010 12oz Brown bottle

A: Deep brown, murky, very little head, carbonation is there but ever so slight.

S: The nose one this beer is very intense, port, oak, vanilla, and nutmeg. There are some notes of cream sherry that become apparent after letting the drink warm.

T: Bourbon, vanilla, and cream start this drink, a heavy malt presence comes midway, and the finish on this beer is very clean for such a big beer.

M,O: There beer really comes into its self when it warms up to near room temperature. When I first opened this beer it was far too cold and it did the beer no justice, let it warm and this beer comes into its self.

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%

2010 Batch, big thanks to JohnB87 for the trade.

A: Pours a hazy dark caramel-y brown with almost no head

S: Smells of bourbon primarily, but also smells a bit candy sweet with hints of vanilla and oak, incredible aroma

T: Taste is bourbon primarily but has a deliciously sweet caramel/vanilla flavor with hints of oakiness in the background. The base beer's raisininess comes through a bit as well. There's a small amount of heat in the finish.

M: It's medium-bodied and a bit sticky without a ton of carbonation, but it actually suits the beer pretty well.

O: This is a damn good beer that will only get better with age, which might help take some of the heat off of it. It belongs up there with the upper echelon of bourbon barrel barleywines (even though it calls itself an Old Ale).

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%

Experienced this beer by surprise at the Cleveland International Beerfest. Word of mouth traveled that if you ask....it will be poured! The Kuhnhenn stand was way off from the other Michigan breweries...like the a bad kid put in a corner. The stand itself looked a little goofy. I got to admit I passed it twice and didn't think of trying anything. Then I got word of the 4th Dimentia....

This beer was the BEST beer at the beerfest! The taste has so much going on its hard to separate them. Second best to the taste of this beer was the 5 minutes I spent smelling my empty glass.

Now Kuhnhenn's Brewering Co. is on my map. May even be worth the drive.

4.34/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 batch

Pours a murky dark amber with some red highlights. After an aggressive pour, a few bubbles form and then dissipate. A little lacing on the glass. I smell lots of raisins, oak, vanilla, booze, bourbon, leather and figs. The taste reminds me of an English Barleywine and follows the smell exactly with the addition of marshmallow and coconut. Very minimal carbonation. The body of this beer is medium and kind of syrupy. An excellent beer to sip on after a meal. With some age, it will get even better. Definitely one of the best old ales/barleywines I have ever had.

Edit---i was wrong. I had a 2010 bottle that I aged and the beer really went downhill. Seems as though its best to drink this fresh

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company