Kuhnhenn Tenacious Cassis | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-18-2007

Reviews: 107 | Ratings: 154
4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

12oz bottle courtesy of masonjer poured into a snifter.

Pours a hazy reddish brown with a bubbly tan head that shows fair retention and leaves a solid collar and spotty lacing. There are definitely some boozy legs clinging to the sides.

Whoa, this aroma blew me away! Just massive currant aroma but with tons of brown sugar, caramel and chocolate. It smells like a chocolate covered fruit dessert...decadent nose.

The taste is more of the same with the currants dominating with a tart sweetness that lasts from start to finish. The big sweet sugary malt backbone is more than enough to support the fruit and the finish is almost like a tootsie roll...weird I know.

The mouthfeel is full bodied but with solid carbonation that keeps it from getting cloying or overly syrupy. The alcohol is definitely there. I'm not sure I'd peg it at 15%, but it has a solid burn going down.

I've been disappointed by a few infected Kuhnhenn bottles, but beers like this are what keep me coming back for more. If they could get their quality control issues under control, they'd be one of my top breweries without a doubt. I loved this beer.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

'07 vintage.

S: Currants, jam, strawberries, wood, port

A: Looks like cranberry juice w/min. carb

T: Same as smell w/sweetness, and some alcohol heat coming through the end.

M: Fairly slick and vinous. Dry finish.

D: Good for ABV.

Overall: A dessert sipper for sure. But very impressive. Like New Glarus on steroids.

4.51/5  rDev +11.1%

6.3oz bottle, 2007 vintage. I picked this up at Cloverleaf earlier this year, forgot I had it, found it deep in the cellar tonight. And here we are. The beer is a dark red shade of brown, transparent at the edges, with a thin ring of tan bubbles. The aroma is big-time fruit and toffee, apparently the fruit is cassis (never had cassis before to my knowledge). Very similar smell as Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock, I'm not sure but I'd guess much of the base beer is the same. I smell a little chocolate in there too, and maybe a hint of cheese. The taste is, if anything, better than the Raspberry Eisbock. This berry taste is key, also currant and chocolate, maybe a hint of cherry, and more than a hint of alcohol (but well integrated, it just adds some mild burn). Wow, really really good, with a mildly syrupy body and lingering chocolate candy aftertaste. A sipper, and 6.3oz is about enough. To be purchased again.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

6.3 oz bottle, 07 vintage courtesy bret27. Pours a deep ruby with a purplish brown tinge. No head. Aroma is massive red and dark fruits with a... very significant boozy note. Flavor is very curranty with other notes of cherry, blackberry, licorice, chocolate, and alcohol. The booze isn't distracting, there's plenty of sweetness here to cover it up. Thick and liqueur-esque mouthfeel. Would make an epic dessert beer.

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A veritable Christmas fruitcake, this pours slightly ruddy red/brown with no head. Smells like Christmas hard candies my parents used to get way back in the day - sweet, spicy, and fruity. Taste follows suit - toffee, caramel, chocolate, spices, and currants. Thick-bodied with virtually no carbonation. Interesting dessert beer, but not one I'll go out of my way to try again.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottle received as an extra in an in person trade with iceicebaby at the Bullfrog Brewery release for Frambozen this past summer thanks!

Appearance: Pours like flat Dr. Pepper...kinda brown but kinda burgandy body with no head or lace.

Smell: Wow this smells straight up like Mad Dog 20/20 malt liquor! Dark fruit and booze!!!

Taste: boozy, slight rubbing alcohol quality with a really nice dark cherry and black currant flavor. Perhaps a slightly chocolate note....definitely some toffee.

Mouthfeel: on the heavy side of medium bodied. Fairly slick yet a bit pulpy.

Drinkability: Comes off boozy but its much more drinkable than something comparable like Alpha Kong.

The alcohol is a bit too prominent for my liking. Would be nice to sip on this outdoors in late fall though. Its a nice high octane warmer.

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Courtesy of trade with brewdan...2007 vintage into Portsmouth snifter...all 6.3 oz. of it. What is that...200 ml? Nope...read the label, dickhead...187 ml...

Just like it's more famous brother KRE, it's turbid as hell. Looks like a still barleywine and then some. To say it's viscous - hell, it looks almost like turkey gravy. Is any of this a hinderance? Nope...actually, as it warms it looks more like toffee...

The black currants emit a huge tartness of dark fruits. There is a little cherry scent in the background, too...but those currants are awesome. Deep and heavy caramel malt and some solid oak character. Clearly Bizarro-world.

Man, this has a crazy tawny port feel. Sure, it's astringent and boozy, but there's a great woody barrel feel to it along with a little hop pine and a huge quotient of currants. It gets better and better with warmth.

Palate feel is very good. I like the tartness up against the huge toffee malt and oak barrel of it all. Finishes hearty for the burn. Hops? Sure. Somewhere. Maybe a little pine. Either way, this is right up there with KRE and then some. The tart makes this deal.

Thanks to brewdan, I had the opportunity to try both this and KRE. Y'know? I like this better. Really, I like them both. They both have very similar characteristics, but the cassis bring it over the raspberries. Both well-constructed, but this one wins out in the end. Well done. And not from a steak perspective. Well-constructed.

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

Thanks to nflmvp for this 12 oz bottle that pours a murky brown with absolutely no head. Aroma is very unique with lots of licorice and grape (candy grape flavor, not the fruit). Wow, now the taste is pretty extreme and complex. Good thing I love licorice because it just smacks you in the face on first sip! This beer tastes like both licorice and grape candy were melted in an aged barleywine. Very strange taste, but I like it. This beer is certainly a slow sipper though - the alcohol burn is very high. Overall I'm glad I got to try this beer, but I don't think I'll want to buy or trade for it in the future. Maybe it could have benefited with a few years in the cellar.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

6.3oz bottle (2007) shared courtesy of nonstick...Thanks Chris! Poured into a Heineken sampler glass.

A - Pours a cloudy, hazy brown with a reddish tinge around the edges. No head, zero, zip...

S - Cassis, vanilla, caramel, molasses, prunes, some raspberries too...lots of stuff going on here.

T - Sounds funny, but cassis flavored cough syrup. Very potent. Sweet, syrupy, very alcoholic. Sweet, heavy caramel and cassis flavors, a touch of raspberry around the edges. Very complex and interesting.

M - Very thick and syrupy...little to no carbonation. Very full bodied.

D - Very alcoholic, and cough syrup like...in a good way, but very limited drinkability. Shared a 6.3oz bottle and it was just enough...

4.14/5  rDev +2%

2007 vintage purchased at the brewery. 6.3oz bottle poured into my 10z Double Bastard glass.

A: Pours almost syrupy out of the bottle. A murky, brownish red color. Very Degobah like. No head whatsoever. Some faint bubbles rising to the top, but not many.

S: WOW! Super intense olfactory attack. Big DARK Fruit. Also some sharp candy sweetness. I get a lot of plums, grapes and raisin. There's also almost a medicinal smell to it. I'm really digging it, almost Brandy-ish? By far one of the best smelling beers I think I've come across. I had random smell flashbacks over the next few days...

T: Just like the smell, dark candied fruits really dominate. Currants, plums, raisins, figs, berries, etc... Not as sweet as I though it'd be. Also some caramel malts. Alcohol presence is very noticeable as well as the medicinal taste noted in the smell.

M: Very little carbonation. Pretty viscous and syrupy.

D: The 6.3oz's is actually a perfect serving size for this brew. I don't think I could have anymore in one sitting. A nice brew to wrap up the evening or have after a nice meal.

Kuhnhenn always seems to deliver on some end of the spectrum. This beer is great in many ways, but doesn't feel quite complete. I think another 2 years or so will really do this some good. Looking forward to revisiting this down the road.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz bottle, think grub picked one of these up for me a couple years ago at the Solstice party.

Pours a murky ruby red, some purple highlights, medium sized tan head forms, drops to a thick ring, good amount of lace on the glass, especially for the ABV. Smell is wacky, but awesome, tons of blackberry, currants, raisin, raspberry, caramel, chocolate, biscuit, alcohol, very bready, licorice, brandy and port, tons of fruit, pretty crazy. Taste is great too, blackberries and currants, raspberries, caramel cake, very fruity, biscuit, alcohol, chocolate covered raisins, big licorice hit, candy, sweet in the finish, but pretty crazy stuff. Mouthfeel is medium to fuill bodied, very sticky feel to it, low carbonation, pretty great intensity of flavours, good stuff.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

12oz bottle split courtesy of Viggo - cheers for the treat and the great nightcap! No date or markings on the bottle but Viggo assures me this one has a couple of years on it.

Pours a dark brown, burgundy, plum -ish color with not much head to speak of, pretty placid.

Nose is a delightful bounty of fruits - currant, blackberry, raspberry dominate. Hints of raisins, caramel, and toffee.

This is big and bad like a barleywine and yet, with the fruity notes, adds to the complexity and depth. Raspberries, plums, hints of citrus, rich caramel, a faint hint of hops, more berries, brown sugar, bread, still some alcohol warming in the finish.

Such a smooth drink (aided by light carbonation) and yet it still has a hint of raw power after a couple years (it IS 15%!). Really complex and enjoyable if yet still a touch raw. Meant to blow the doors off rather than pick the lock. A terrific sipper, dessert, nightcap. Great brew.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

GLASS: Tulip
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
VINTAGE 2007
Super huge thanks goes to mjd83goblue for this one!

This pours a super dark (opaque) ruby color. It looks black, but if you backlight it, it's beautiful. A minimal head of light foam appears and quickly fades. There is no lacing to speak of, at all.

Beautifully huge nose, filled with currants. (Imagine that!) Both black and red currants are in this one, no doubt. I don't know if any other fruits are in here, but I'm getting good hints of blackberries and raspberries, also. A very light hint of caramel slips through. A mild alcohol presence is noticable, but at 15%ABV that's not surprising.
The nose is mostly about the delicious fruit scent, though.

The taste follows the nose quite well. The fruits hit you first, very sweet and with a touch of sour to provide some balance. Then they are followed by a nice, if mild, malt presence. Very nice caramel toffee notes, some light roastiness, a little bit of golden brown sugar, and a touch of smokiness. The finish is almost like a dry port. It's definitely still sweet, bet it feels like it trys to grab hold of your tongue and throat, like it doesn't want to leave your mouth. I love that about ports, and I love it about this.

I'd say that this one is medium bodied, but I'll also say that it feels very heavy, in your mouth. Nicely oily, it coats the pipes, all the way down...you can feel it. It has extremely minimal carbonation but it works for this one. Very smooth.

Despite the not so hidden 15%ABV, I find this quite easy to drink. I can understand that most people would be content with the 6oz bottles that it comes in. I'd like to have it in 12oz bottles myself, though.
This is really, really good.

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%

6.3 oz. bottle, 2007 vintage, into a tulip

Pours a deep mahogany color with a bit of a fizz of a head but that quickly goes away to nothing and obviously ends up leaving no lace.

Aroma is very sweet with blackberry and currants dominating. The booze is also a big presence. It smells good, but it's somewhat strange to me, almost artificial.

Taste is more of the same, huge sugary sweetness with lots of blackberry and currant but it's a bit more complex than the aroma and there are some bitter notes in the back end which add some more complexity.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, it comes across slightly thin and undercarbonated to me. It's not all that drinkable to me either, I'm glad it's in this size.

I was pretty disappointed by this beer. It was interesting, and I would drink it again if I had the chance, but ultimately I can't say I'd really want to go out of my way to do so.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

I picked this up on a trip to Detroit this past winter. Thought moving to my new job in Blacksburg, VA would be a good reason to finally crack it. Shared with bamadog, and I definitely couldn't have finished it myself.

Appearance: The pour into my snifter is a bilevel layered liquid. The top layer is a golden-brown shade, somewhat transluscent. The bottom layer is brown and hazy with reddish highlights. I imagine there's a separation of the huge amount of alcohol going on here. No head to speak of - only the faintest spots of tan lace bubble around the edge of the glass and along the sides.

Smell: Incredible and a little overwhelming. Sweet, juicy fruity berries blend with syrupy sticky malts and huge alcohol. I could get drunk just smelling this beer.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is tart-sweet cassis that presents like dark, syrupy raspberries - cloying. Tons of sweet, sticky caramel malt present the backbone, and join with a hint of bitter citrus hop, buttery grains and tons of huge, hot alcohol. The syrup tries to tame it, but can only do so much. I feel it in my chest. Feel is thick, viscous, and, did I mention, sticky.

Drinkability: Yea right...Anyone who can say this is highly drinkable, I applaud you. It is delicious, but I actually appreciate that Kuhnhenn's puts it in such tiny bottles because I shouldn't be drinking more in a sitting. It has got to be a health hazard (or fire hazard).

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Extra extra extra special thanks to Kels for splitting this bottle with me on a special occasion. This is one huge beer in a very tiny bottle... Poured into a tulip.

Appearance: It looks like an oil slick has been poured into the glass -- there is a ton of oily film that clings to the sides as the murky reddish toffee brown (it's hard to tell where one color ends and the next begins as there's sooo much sediment floating throughout the body to confuse the eye); no real head to speak of, but it's so viscous that there probably shouldn't be one, but there is a slim ring of foam that surrounds the surface.

Smell: At first it smells like a cherry cough syrup, but upon taking the time to put my nose into it, it is bombarded by some of the most wonderful smells ever to come from a beer: sweet fruits of the darker variety - currants, cherry-like, raspberries; deep malty smells follow suit and come across sweet and toasty and caramel and toffee-like; faint whiffs of alcohol manage to creep through the thick veil of fruits and berries.

Taste: Not much unlike the nose, the currants and deep dark berries dominate the palate, but it is soon followed by a wonderful toffee and caramel backing from the malts; definite presence of alcohol throughout and definitely leaves a strong and lasting impression on the aftertaste. Overall, this is one intense beer as the flavors are soooo powerful, there is no sense of subtlety whatsoever. Wow.

Mouthfeel: Quite hot -- the alcohol is quite hot in this and makes the mouth, throat and chest blaze; body is oily and leaves a thin lining in the mouth that makes me feel I could light a match in front of my face and breathe fire.

Drinkability: Sadly, it's low. This is an amazing beer with extreme flavors, but the ABV is way too high to even consider drinking one of the tiny bottles on my own. Part of me is very excited to visit the brewery and stock up on some of their brews, but at the same time, I know it will take me much of the rest of my natural born life to get through them due to the size. Well worth it, though, well worth it.

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this 2007 vintage on a trip downstate at a gas station/inconvenience store. My eyes got wide as I have never had the opportunity to try any of Kuhnhenn's offerings. My eyes got even larger when I saw the price tag. Pours reddish brown in color with a small amount of carbonation that can barely pass for a head. The smell is a huge berry scent, chocolate and toffee. The mouthfeel is nice and thick with very little carbonation drinks more like wine than beer. The taste is tart and syrupy with dark fruits, blackberries, toffee and caramel. Drinkability is good, too bad this comes in a 6.3 oz bottle. I could have easily enjoyed 12oz of this over the course of an evening and loved every drop.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

2007 vintage, purchased the the brewery. Served in my Foothills taster glass.

A - A dime of quick-dissolving tan head with minimal lacing and a small ring of bubbles. Attractive, transparent dark reddish-brown color, with a few bubbles lazily rising to the top. It's about as good as I can expect for a 15% brew.

S - Grape, currant, truffle, caramel, a hint of booze, Swedish berries candy - it's really potent and quite wonderful. The alcohol is shockingly understated for a such a high-gravity brew.

T - The taste maintains the same elements from the nose - lots of currant, caramel, berries, and truffles. The booze is a little more present, but not overwhelming. There's a slight bitterness to the aftertaste - almost like what you get from oak-aged brews.

M - Very low carbonation - almost juice-like, which is appropriate for the taste. Very smooth and warming. Again, style-appropriate, but nothing special.

D - The 6.3oz bottles of this stuff may even be a tiny bit much. A great dessert brew, or for a night cap. Not quite as good as the Raspberry Eisbock, but definitely worth trying.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

On tap at the brewery, served in a small snifter. Dark purplish color with minimum head. Smell is all grapes and currants, very sweet, smooth, and intoxicating. Taste is the same, overloaded with sweet currant and grape with a nice mix of intense alcohol. Could be considered comparable to a carbonated dessert liqueur. It is delicious. This is a very unique beer that I'd recommend every beer lover try at least once.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

6.3 oz bottle
2007 Vintage
16.5% ABV

A- Poured like a soda with a quick to rise head that died off instantly. The liquid is a murky purple that looks kind of like a deep red wine. Pretty bland looking.

S- Oh my god. This is amazing. Loads of berries, some vanilla, alcohol, and a bit of funk. This smells more like candy than beer.

T- Startlingly sweet, lots of berries, vanilla, cinnamon. Oddly enough, it reminds me of waffle crisp cereal with some berries. This has aged kind of nicely, but the alcohol is just a bit hot- not surprising considering the ABV.

M- Very warm and dry. A clean aftertaste, but damn this is hot.

D- A huge sipper. This has blown my mind every time I have had it, but this time it is seeming extraordinarily hot tonight. Would make an excellent desert beer. I do admire this beer way more than this review gives it credit for, I don't really know how to explain it though.

4.19/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to hoppymeal for the opportunity to try this extreme beer. I had this one once before from a 12oz bottle and shared it with a few people. This review is from a small 6.3oz/187ml bottle, perfect amount in my opinion. This is a 2007 vintage.

Sanguine or cherry juice color with very few bubbles. Looks almost flat but the ruby highlight are fascinating.

Strong, sweet, candy, cassis aroma. Very syrupy on the nose with a mixture of red berries, hints of chocolate, hard candy, caramel, and lightly toasted malts. This is an excellent dessert beer. A bit of nail polish remover but the fruitiness hides the alcohol heat fairly well. There is also a strong, cherry-like syrup aroma that makes me want to add this to some vanilla ice-cream. Toffee and chocolate also become more intense as it warms up.

A mixture of sweet and bitter cassis flavor, mild coffee in the aftertaste as well as raisins, roasted malts, and bits of cocoa. Alcohol heat is noticeable in the finish. A bit of blueberries upfront, cherry candy near the finish, and toffee as well. There is a bit of a cough flavor in the finish/aftertaste and alcohol heat that I think could settle out with some age. I don't know why but I get an image of roasted nuts with cocoa on top. There is a roasted nutty flavor that works really well with the light chocolate side of the beer. Some bitter chocolate flavors, burnt brown sugar, and cassis linger in the back of the mouth. I opened this one at around cellar temp, it really was just in my closet, but as it warmed up the toffee flavor seems to intensify.

The mouthfeel is not as syrupy as the aroma would lead to believe, there is a good dose of carbonation.

I wish this one was just a little less alcoholic so I could drink more of it!

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

Sampled on 2-8-09
2007 Vintage

Pours a very deep brown color, with a hint of purple. No head, no lacing, just thick.

Smell is very aged, huge dark fruit in the middle, and a sweet toffee if you look for it. Super strong, complex, and boozy, it really grows on you.

Taste is very similar to the smell. Huge fruity sweetness is kept in check by a strong alcohol character. Surprisingly bitter and super warm on the finish.

Mouthfeel is super thick with almost no carbonation. Very wine like, which suits it.

Drinkability is not good, definitely a sipper.

Overall, a gigantic beer that is not really my style, but worth a try.

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured from the small (approx 7 oz) bottle into a Duvel tulip.
A: A murky brown liquid with serious thickness and reddish highlights. The thin head dissipates quickly leaving a few small trails of tiny bubbles rising through the beer.

S: The smell of sugary-sweet currants and dried fruit hits the nose...and the glass is more than 18'' from my nose. Up close, the high sweetness rides currant, cherry and cranberry-juice notes, with a little alcohol heat hiding underneath. Serious, seriously big aromas. Based on the smell, I expect the flavor to be syrupy.

T: And syrupy it is. And tart, tart, tart. Like cherry Nyquil. Loads and loads of cotton-candy sweetness and curranty tartness, with warming alcohol that doesn't quite taste like 15%. A very single-minded beer, just CURRANTS!!!

Tasted with cheese (a two-year cheddar) some of the more outrageous notes fade as the fat coats the tongue. Definitely a dessert beer, the equivalent of a Sauternes. I can't say I love the flavor, but it's pleasurable.

M: Thick, but with more carbonation than I expected hiding in there. That is good; keeps the flavor from cloying.

D: You really only want or need one, to share, after a nice big meal, with the nuts, cheeses and dried fruits. What? You don't do that? You should. It's terribly civillized.

I can't say that I generally love this beer. But it's the right thing for dessert; this or a raspberry eisbock. But if you're going that route, why not a Thomas Hardy's or spring for the $$$ it will cost for a good Sauternes? That being said, this would be a terrific ager, and would DEFINITELY be something that a group of people would enjoy.

4.61/5  rDev +13.5%

This is my third time having this beer. I've had about a dozen of Kuhnhenn's beers which have ranged from good to outstanding. This is my favorate.

Poured from a 12oz bottle in a Corsendonk tulip. The beer is a dark brown, with maybe a finger of tan head. Held up to the light it is a very cloudy brown, but lets a fair amount of light through at the edges. The ordinary appearance belies the experience that comes next.

The smell is spectacular. I don't know of another beer that smells so seductive. Of course there is a huge smell of currants. But the malts also bring a lot to the smell. The beer *smells* sweet and almost chocolaty.

The taste delivers exactly what the smell promises. The currant taste up front blends perfectly into a *huge* malty taste in the middle. It's not as if one taste stops and the other starts, one flows into the next very fluidly. Bock bock bock bock bock. If you just crank up the flavors of your favorite bock to an obscene level, that's what this tastes like in the middle. And the finish lingers in your mouth beautifully. The sweet, somewhat choclaty taste stays in your mouth forever, begging you to drink more. Though not cloyingly saccharine like a lot of big beers, it is quite sweet. It works best as dessert. Imagine going to a restaurant which has a fantastic fruity, dark chocolate cake. One that's unbelievable rich. That's what this beer tastes like.

Which brings us to mouthfeel. The beer is just so rich and chewy, almost like it should almost be a dessert you're eating rather than drinking. The carbonation level is just right - enough to refresh and clean just a bit.

The drinkability is kind of ridiculous. No beer at 15% or 16% abv should be this easy to drink. The sweetness might stop you eventually, but this is more drinkable than plenty of beers in the 8% to 9% range. OK, maybe by the end of 12oz it is starting to be a bit much. I've been sipping on it for at least an hour, and as it warms the alcohol warming becomes more prominent. The new 7oz bottles probably are the right size. A splendid treat none the less.

Kuhnhenn, I hate you for raising the price of this beer, because it is totally worth the higher price.

2.78/5  rDev -31.5%

Basically a dark muddy brown color with a thin, quickly diminishing foam. Light wafting reveals some nice aromas of black currant, chocolate, toffee and red licorice, but a strong sniff reveals an awful core of medicinal qualities, like a trip to the pharmacy and a big whiff of antibiotics. Flavor is too fruity and too sweet. I feel like there is a great tasting beer underneath the overly fruity, overly sweet, medicinal mess. There is some very tasty notes of dessert-like malts, but overall, tastes like a handful of pills and sugary sweet black currants. Disappointed. Had higher hopes.

Kuhnhenn Tenacious Cassis from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company