Kuhnhenn Mayhem | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn MayhemKuhnhenn Mayhem

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company
kbrewery.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by corby112 on 11-25-2009

4.03/5  rDev +15.8%

I received this as an extra in a trade two or three years ago. At the time, all the reviews were pretty bad, talking about tons of booze, and I decided I'd wait. Well, tonight, the wait is over!

A: A medium, warm brown. Absolutely no head.

S: Lots of fruits. Dates, figs, raisins. A touch of sherry, perhaps from oxidation. Honestly, it smells like an English-style barleywine.

T: ...and tastes like one too! Starts off with some plum and not-quite ripe dark fruits. The middle is where you really get the barleywine characteristics - rum-soaked raisins abound. The dark fruits are sometimes present in the middle as well, so I see why someone decided to call it a BSDA, but there's no Belgian yeast or spiciness here. The taste seems to thin out more than usual at the end. The aftertaste is, oddly enough, an innocuous roasted coffee note that isn't too strong, but does linger for awhile. There are some fusels present in the middle and end, but they're pretty tame.

M: Gentle but definitely present carbonation is there. It dies off halfway through the sip, but I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

O: This beer reminds me of JW Lees, one of my favorite beers. No one knew anything about this beer; the style, the alcohol, so I really didn't know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised!

My guess for abv %: 12

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

3.82/5  rDev +9.8%

12 oz. bottle recived in a trade a while back. Marked 4/2009. Poured into a Weyerbacher tulip...

A - Poured a pretty flat and oily dark amber color. There is some very light carbonation noticeable, but no real head forms at all.

S - Nice fruit aromas here. Figs, prunes, dates, and some berries come out. Lots of cherry notes too and an almost chocolate covered cherry aroma as well. Caramel and some chocolate come out. Nice aromas.

T - Very similar to the nose, although the chocolate covered cherry comes out even more. Is this thing barrel aged? It comes across like a carbonated sherry. Raisins, dates and figs. Some vanilla and plum flavors also come out.

M - Really not much carbionation to speak of. Slick feeling and a medium-heavy bodied beer that is a bit thick.

O - Really wanted to give this a 3.75, but I rounded up. I enjoyed this one except for the mouthfeel. I'm not quite sure why it has received lower marks, but to each their own. Would like to know more about this beer to get an understanding for what it really is.

I received this as an extra from the very generous mikesgroove, thanks very much for hooking it up. This beer pours out a reddish brown color, with just a small lace for heading. The nose is fruit laden, with strawberry, prune, date and fig. A good amount of alcohol also shows up here. Same as far as flavor, though a nice balance shows up half way through. Mouthfeel is smooth, light on carbonation, and somewhere between medium and heavy body. Booze didn't seem too overwhelming. As a previous reviewer said, I am not sure why this received such poor markings. Oh well, I recommend this beer to anyone who has access to it. Cheers

Bottle shared by Grant – thanks!

Pours a dark amber color with a half-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of medium malts and booze-soaked medium and dark fruits – pears and figs. Also present are moderate amounts of breadiness and slight hints of dark toffee.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Smooth and slightly sweet medium malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by sugar-dusted plum and fig flavors – the fruits are darker than in the aroma. Slight buttery toffee flavors make an appearance near the end of the sip before fading out into a mildly sweet ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I didn’t have a problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I’m surprised by the poor ratings for this beer – I didn’t think it was quite the bee’s knees but I found it serviceable. Worth a shot, but not worth seeking.

3.55/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Massive thanks goes out to beeruser for sharing this one with funkydelic and I at an impromptu tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller sampler wine glass. Poured red-orange with a very minimal off-white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, peat, and slight fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, wood, peat, and slight peaches. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The aroma really wasn't doing too much for me on this one if I'm completely honest, but it did make up some ground on the flavor. The subtle touch of fruit on this one made this one quite interesting on the flavor as you only got it on the followthrough of the beer. It kind of seemed out of place in this one if I'm honest. Glad I got to try it, but doubt I would seek it out actively.

2.54/5  rDev -27%

Extra in a trade. Have not really enjoyed anything from Kuhnhenn yet, let's see. 12 oz bottle...

A: Kind of a dirty murky brown with no head at all. Hmm...

S: Smells of some caramel and pear upfront with some sweet malt and not much else.

T: A heavy boozy burn with some faint hints of apple and caramel. Very boozy. Not much else.

M: A very good carbonation with a super dry finish. Good.

D: Not very drinkable since it mostly taste like straight booze.

Not worth your time. You might as well just drink straight rum and it would taste similar. Don't bother with this one.

3.28/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Loterbol tulip.

April 2009

A: Pours into the glass looking like flat, generic "cola". A few bubbles and a tiny tan head pop up before becoming absolutely still again. No lace. Looks like the Cuyahoga River around the time that it caught fire.

S: A bunch of aromas going on here. Tootsie Roll, caramel, chocolate covered cherry, cocoa, cola nut, fudge brownies, and pan roasted nuts.

T: Same as above with a weird hint of melted plastic.

M: Flat. Way too sweet for the (non-existant) level of carbonation.

D: There's a good beer here trying to get out. I'd like to try a fresher example to see if maybe the time in the bottle hurt this beer.

2.83/5  rDev -18.7%

Reviewed on 5/30/2010. Rating #1700! Bottle, 4/2009. Bottle a dark brown with only a small ring of head. Aroma of booze, caramel, toffee, raisins, sweet sweet malt. Flavor of sweet malt and caramel; less boozy and raisiny than in the nose. Very rich and sweet. It's not much of a Belgian strong ale at all-- maybe more like a barleywine. In any case, I didn't care much for it.

4.09/5  rDev +17.5%

I picked up a bottle of this when I was in Grand Rapids, MI a couple months ago. It was $4.99 a bottle. Split it between 3 people. Poured my 4oz in a small sample glass:

A - Flat amber ruby hue. Cherry and brown core. No head or lacing. The color wins points here but the carbonation does not.

S - Dark fruit and currants. Chocolate covered cherries. Boozy and earth. Smells of light wood. Caramel and vanilla. Pretty hot smelling.

T - Mellow brown sugar and loads of dark fruit, plums and cherries. Some vanilla. Kind of sweet.

M - Pretty smooth and not as thick as I was expecting, a bit watery. Silk feeling and nice on the way down.

D - I split this with two other people and I was fine with my 4oz. There is a lot going on smell and flavor wise. Again, as some people have pointed out, it lacks in carbonation and is quite flat; however, I'm giving it decent appearance points because I really like the color. Like all Kuhnhenn brews, it has that trademark flavor which is always nice. Pretty good brew.

3.42/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle shared by Aussy - thanks.

Pours a dark brownish amber with just a couple of random bubbles around the edge. Smells of brown sugar and candied dark fruits (raisins, figs, and plums). Taste is sweet, malty and boozy with some faint sherry notes. Mouthfeel is complex, rich, full and thick. A slow sipper and enjoyable. Glad to have tried it. (Makes an interesting blend with 3 parts Victory @ Sea, 1 part Alaskan Smoked Porter and a splash of this).

3.31/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter

A: No head, dark brown in color with a slightly reddish tint. The beer is nearly opaque when held up to a light, but not quite.

S: What struck me first about this beer was how intense the smell of molasses is. Definitely much more molasses on the nose than any other beer I've had. There's also some dark fruits, but not much compared to the brown sugary smell of the molasses.

T: At the start of this beer what I feel like I'm drinking is liquefied raisins. This is followed by some general sweetness comprised of brown sugar with a small amount of coffee. At the finish is a little bit more sweetness combined with some alcohol burn. Despite how much of a sweet "malt bomb" this beer is, I do notice a faint hint of bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: Despite the lack of carbonation this beer has a very good mouth feel. There's a fairly high viscosity, though not "thick" that allows this beer to sit well on the tongue.

D: Severely limited by the sweetness. One of these was definitely more than enough as this beer simply needs more balance. I'd be curious what the exact ABV is, as I detected some alcohol heat.

4.19/5  rDev +20.4%

A - Pours a dark brown/red murky color. It really reminds me of swamp water with little head to speak of.

S - Nice smell with a deep dried fruit aroma, some yeast and and some cinnamon and ginger like spicing.

T - Taste is slightly wine like with lots of fruit, some breadyness and some malty sweetness. It's pretty crazy because every sip is slightly different. This is a very complex beer that deserves its time to warm up and change on the tongue.

M/D - Mouthfeel is thick and enjoyable. A really great and complex beer that everybody should drink slowly and really enjoy all the flavors.

3.4/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

a- Very, very murky dark red/brown with a minimal amount of head.
s- It almost smells like a red wine. It is slighty fruity with a strong booze smell.
t- Tastes a little flat with a very sweet boozy taste. There is also a little bit of a sour aftertaste.
m/d- This is a slow drinker. I am very unsure of what I actually think about it. Some drinks are sweet and enjoyable while others leave a bitter/sour cringe in the mouth. Every drink is a little different and it is an interesting drink.

4.23/5  rDev +21.6%

A - Flat pour, approximately the color of cola, albeit murky and perhaps a bit more reddish.

S - The aroma is immediately rich, reminiscent of the hors d'oeuvres known as burgundy mushrooms, with cinnamon and mulled spiciness, raisin and dark fruitiness.

T - Take the olfactory and add specifics such as chocolate, prune, plum, fig, date, cognac, sherry and deliciousness. This is a delightful brew.

M - Despite the flatness, it is still very nice. Has plenty of tooth.

D - Quite unusual and quite nice, too.

3.11/5  rDev -10.6%

My first Kuhnhenn, and my 100th review. Thanks to Fear025 (Jay) for this beer. April 2009 bottling.

Poured into a New Holland high gravity series glass. Pours a muddy deep brown with no head what so ever. Evidence of carbonation, just no head.

Aromas of dark fruits (raisins, prunes). Smells like an aged, oxidized barleywine. Also some aromas of cherry pits (?).

First sip is alcohol, dark fruits, a little sweetness. Again, reminds me of an aged high gravity beer, barleywine, or a Thomas Hardy from the 90s. Alcohol burn is very harsh. As it warmed, there were some notes of cherries and dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel is full and coating. A little cloying.

Not that drinkable. I'll finish the bottle, but you wouldn't want to drink this all night long. It's more of a sipper.

3.79/5  rDev +8.9%

What an interesting beer. 2009 bottle date. 12oz into Newport Storm pint glass.

A- Pours a nice brown color, but this thing is almost flat. A few bubbles do their best to try and convince me this is carbonated, but I know better. A super-aggressive pour leaves me with a glass full of doldrums.

S- Sweet fruit, chocolate malts, brandy sweetness.

T- Very interesting. Chocolate-covered cherries. Tastes a little like a chocolatey stout, a little like a fruity BSDA. Really deep and lush flavors. Alcohol is warming in the mouth and on the way down. 'Chocolate-covered-cherries' keeps popping into my head.

M- Flat, thick, chewy, heavy, tasty.

D- OK, I was ready to write this beer off due to the stillborn pour. But This beer really shines with some amazing flavors. Really rich and decadent. I took my time, and really enjoyed this beer once it warmed a bit. Had it a bit of carbonation, this beer would be a grand slam. As it is, it is interesting, tasty, and something I'd seek out again, regardless of the carbonation.

Kuhnhenn Mayhem from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company