Kuhnhenn Ambrosiaweiss | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Alströms:

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

Huge thanks to leschkie for this bottle. 2011 vintage.

A: Pours an ultra cloudy caramel color. It's like a darker grapefruit juice. There is very little head to this beer, just a thin white ring along the top of the liquid.

S: It smells tart. I'm picking up yeast, lemons, cherries, and lactic acid.

T: The initial hit is nice and sweet, like a typical Hefe. But right after I get walloped with a beautiful mix of sweet and tart. Cherry, lemon, and banana. I also get some wonderful clove essence in this beer. Wow, complicated.

M: Medium bodied beer. It starts off wet and mellow, but finishes dry. There is a lingering acidic sting in the back end, but I like it.

O: This is a fantastic beer. I didn't know what to expect from this beer after the pour, and I'm blown away. It's basically like a Hefe mixed with a wild ale. Consider me impressed.

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

What a show. Thick orange unfiltered mass with a small lasting white head. Vanilla and wheat aroma. A little bitterness overwhelmed by thick wheat. A treat, different spices here nutmeg and a tad of cinammon. Like I am at the brewpub this record hot day.Chris's gift. Good drinkability.

3.64/5  rDev -4.7%

1019th Review on BA
Bottle to Weizen
12 oz

Summer Solstice 2011

Thanks to Erikkoppin for this one

App- A big hazy yellowy, orange and gold color. A bit like a mixed drink to me in color with only a very small 1/2" that falls to a small impish tiny bubble line.

Smell- I like the additional notes on this one. Its still a hefe with a banana, clove, yeast note. However, this adds a bit more fruit to the nose. Pressed grape skins, a little bit of tangerine and some funk to me.

Taste- All of the scents I described in the aroma section fall to the taste, but don't neccesarily work well together. A little unblended with the additional fruit notes. Tastes a little bit like peach nectar. It's not bad just unique to me.

Mouth- A bit of a creamy medium body. A little bit more of that residual peach necter, some funk and a little acid on the flavors. A good medium carbonation leaning towards a low carbonation though. Interesting feel for sure.

Drink- Overall, I thought the flavors were very well crafted just a little unbalanced. I know this is from probably June if my math of the Solstice is correct. Adds a bit of depth from aging for 6 months but still flavorful.

3.52/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Another fun treat opened up at Jay's house.

Appearance -- Pours a hazy, unfiltered straw yellow with a slim and whispy white head.

Smell -- HUGE banana bread aroma, cream of wheat, mild spice, and pineapple. Brunch of the gods.

Taste -- Pale wheat, pineapple sweetness, banana fermentation character is much milder than is noticeable in the aroma, but still present. Overall, the flavor is mellow, fruity, and slightly sweet. Nice.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with mild carbonation. Could use more bubbles, definitely.

Overall -- A pleasant and unique hefe, but very one-dimensional. Still, a great use of fruit in beer.

Kuhnhenn Ambrosiaweiss from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company