Kuhnhenn Simcoe Silly | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Simcoe SillyKuhnhenn Simcoe Silly

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company
kbrewery.com

Style: Belgian IPA

This Pale American Belgo style beer was 2010 GABF’s silver medal winner. It has notes of spicy pineapple, mango bubblegum aromas which comes from the unique marriage of a special Belgian yeast and an American Simcoe hop. This beer has an initial soft malt sweetness with orange fruitiness and finishes with a hoppy dryness.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-08-2003

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

From my notes taken on 9/15.

Pours a dirty golden brown color with a smallish white head.

The aroma is very sweet. Big tropical fruit presence, sugary to go along with a flowery and powdery spice. The aroma fringes on cloying.

The taste is of a sweet caramel malt, candi sugar, and candied tropical fruit. A nice grapefruit hop flavor but doesn't really mix well with the malt. Too sweet overall.

The beer has a moderate feel, it is sweet but doesn't quite reach the level of cloying.

Typical average american made BIPA. Heavy on the tropical fruit hops. A sweet malt to go along with a tropical fruit hop profile just doesn't do it for me.

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

On-tap at Barcade, poured into a tulip.

A: Slightly hazed, deep orange body with a cap of fine tan foam. Ok retention, light lace. Pretty good.

S: Very nice mixture of yeasty spice/fruit and citrus hops. Clean, big, and inviting.

T: Sweet caramel malt + honey; banana, apple, clove, and bubblegum yeastiness; a bitter, grapefruity hop finish. A little boozy on the aftertaste. Quite tasty.

M: Medium body, tons of carbonation. A bit much, but not too bad for the style.

O: I didn't realize this was a BSPA when I ordered it, and was expecting a DIPA. The surprise was not a bad one, though, as the hops and yeast went quite well together. Solid beer.

Cheers!

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Tap at bronx ale house

Lighter creamy almost 1 finger head fades slowly with some nice lacing, clear auburn amber orange brown color.

Nose is loaded with fresh fruit, mango, pineapple, grapefruit, light citrus, hint of sweet malts, not what I was expecting at all.

Taste also loaded with tropical fruit as well, pineapple, mango, bit of grapefruit, some tropical fruit and citrus hop flavors, touch of bitterness. Malts fill out the background quite a bit with a full mouth and kick of booze. Finishes a bit more bitter, more hop kick and less fruit, bit drier but sticky and more booze.

Mouth is heavier full bodied decent carb, warming slight tingly booze.

Overall a very interesting beer, lots of tropical fruits, nice hop flavor, good malty backbone with kick of booze. I could put back a few of these despite the abv.

3.81/5  rDev -0.8%

From 09/27/11 notes. Had on tap at The Ginger Man in NYC. Tried side by side with the Kuhnhenn Rice DIPA.

a - Pours a clear dark orange color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of fruity malts, caramel malts, but pretty light on both. Not bad, just not very strong.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, caramel malts, bready malts, and light spice and yeast. A big step up from the nose, nice and fruity.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, with a super smooth and creamy body. Very easy to drink.

o - Overall I liked this one, thought the RDIPA was better. Wish the nose was a bit stronger, but the taste and mouthfeel made up for it. Would have it again.

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

This is not a beer I thought I would like so much. We ordered a sampler of IPAs and Stouts, and this stood out.

Color is good, moderate head with nice lacing. The aroma is more herbal than citrus. The flavor is quite complex, with lighter fruits and spice instead of grapefruit. I am getting a nice flavor I would characterize as cardamom. Delicious!

I had a sample of their DRIPA at the same time and, while I like that style more overall, I was taken in by the smooth flavor and finish. In fact, I'm ordering a full glass after sharing the sampled with the wife.

If you normally prefer the more citrusy strong IPAs, I would recommend switching out to this every now and again. I've had a number of Michigan Simcoe varieties, and this is definitely the best

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

**2008** Vintage bottling thanks to Dany (glouglouburp on Ratebeer). 12oz brown glass pry-top bottle, with paper label and vintage on front.

Gushes on opening. Pours amber with thick, susdsy, creamy khaki head. Nose is dominated by a bretty, funkiness. Smells like citrus and pine boards.

Palate is crisp and tart, with woody astringency. Carbonation is deeply integrated and explosive. Flavors of pale malt, wood boards, saw dust, lime and lemon juice, lemon zest.

I don't think this should be sour based on other reviews, but it also doesn't look like a beer that is traditionally aged, so who knows. Maybe it was a different beer in 08? Anyone have any insight, BM me. Thanks!

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer pours out as a golden yellow color with a thin head to start off with. The head fades away pretty quickly. The aroma was a little hoppy, I expected it to be a little stronger on the nose. The taste was also a little lighter than expected but it was strong in the aftertaste. The Simcoe hops really shine through on the back end of this beer. The mouthfeel is average, it's not thick or watery so much. It's just about right. Pretty good brew.

3.59/5  rDev -6.5%

Paired with a slab of half raw meat, blue cheese and salty fries, a fine weekday lunch.

An awesome milky consistency, opaque and creamy in look with a fine white head. Sadly though, I am getting nothing in the nose from this, just a slight grassy yeast and a little hop resin.

Taste is good, an enjoyable pale but doesn't live up to the name. I ordered "Simcoe Silly" so I expect a slap of simcoe. Disappointing, but given a different non-misleading name, I would have really dug it.

2.23/5  rDev -41.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured a moderate orange-copper color with a white head that didn't last long at all and really didn't provide any sort of lacing. The nose was just a mess with some yeast going atop some pine and floral hops and the floral hops taking on a grassy, medicinal astringency. The taste was a bit worse with a bit of alcohol and the flavors just clashing completely. Alcohol in the feel. This just did not drink well and was unfortunately not a good beer. I'd like to think I just got this at the wrong time and would be up for trying it again, as I'm normally a fan of pretty much everything that Kuhnhenn does.

3.19/5  rDev -16.9%

Bottle provided by Kegatron, thanks!

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tumbler at 45 degrees. Kuhnhenn's labels never have any information, and I figured this was an IPA, so I used a tumbler. Now that I realize this is a Belgian Strong Pale, I wish I had used a tulip.

Pours a super hazy burnt orange color with hardly any head at all. A super vigorous pour only yielded maybe 1 finger width of bright white creamy froth. Retention is okay, and lacing is mediocre.

Smells pretty interesting, with a lot of honey, caramely sweetness coming through. There's plenty of clove here as well as black pepper and some spicy phenolic character too. The alcohol sting is apparent in the nose as well. I get a sprucey aroma here too, but it's sort of in the background. Nice and complex.

Taste-wise I was a little let down after the aroma, it comes off pretty darn sweet with a lot of caramelized honey type flavors. This fades into some medicinal type components, followed by some clove-like spice and earth. I've never been a huge fan of simcoe hops, and I don't understand what they are contributing here. There's maybe some juniper bush flavor from them, but otherwise, we just finish up with some alcohol heat and more phenols.

The mouthfeel seems a bit too thick, and it is also pretty wet. I much prefer my Belgian Strong Pales to be dry, medium-bodied, and pop a bit in my mouth. The carbonation just isn't really showing up to the party at all.

It drinks okay for a beer of its strength I guess, but the alcohol isn't covered up all that well. Because of the wet finish I'm not finding it refreshing and I am not eager to get to the next sip. So far my least favorite Kuhnhenn beer I've tried.

3.38/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap at the brewery into a tulip...One of the few disappointments on an otherwise outstanding night...Pours a very dark orange, almost brown. Tope head, good lacing and retention. Aroma is light hops, notes of cloves, banana and bubblegum. Super sweet here, not in a good way at all. The taste is also way to sweet, banana and bubblegum, a total lack of hops. Wheat finish...The feel is ok, not easy to drink just way to sweet. This is not a pale ale...This beer is really not good, needs to be much more balanced with hops. If you want bubblegum get a gumballhead.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Growler courtesy of Puzzl over on RB. RateBrackets 2010. I have had this many different times over the years so it was nice to re-visit this beer. Hazy orange pour with a fizzy off white head and drippy lace. Aroma is dusty with subtle hints of tropical fruit and pine. Hops were rather subdued in comparison with my previous samples of this beer. Drinks like a saison with a modest hop bite. Spicy dry finish.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

This is an interesting brew. Its a bit weaker than a regular Belgian Strong, but not hoppy enough to be a Belgian IPA. Regardless of style, it's a very drinkable offering.

Pours a burnt orange, with a couple fingers of creamy off-white head. Good retention and some nice lace. Big sweet aroma, full of candy, banana and sweet fruit. Smells more like a delicious dessert than anything. Flavour is neat - lots of big sweet esters, and a nice dose of candy sugar dominate. Everything else is tropical fruit, and I'm getting some mango, banana, pineapple and cantaloupe. Touch of cinamon in the finish. Medium to low bitterness, with the sweetness taking the edge off the bite. Perhaps a bit simple, but tasty nonetheless. Smooth, almost oily, body, with a restrained carbonation, which I liked.

I think I liked this out of all proportion. It seemed fairly simple, but at the same time insanely drinkable. Really good stuff. Thanks to Andrew for bringing this growler back from Michigan!

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Tried at a smoky bar :-( This was my first and only review there due to compromising conditions. Thank goodness MI is going smoke free in May! Served in a pint

A: 1 finger of ivory head with fantastic retention. Golden-red with a brown tinge that is the only negative.
S: Very spicy, floral, delicious. I expected Man Candy or green apple from the Simcoe hops. Banana and clove are in here too. Thought it was a hoppy wheat while drinking. It makes sense that it is a Belgian Strong Golden.
T: Tasty. Hoppy but with good balance. Definitely tastes like an APA or a hoppy wheat.
M: Solid, round. Nice biterness.
D: Very nice. I'd like another and would buy again. I'd maybe get a pack of these for a party.

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

On tap at the Kuhnhenn brew pub. Poured a clear, dark golden orange with little head. Had a sweet orange fruit taste with a hop bite up front, and finished with a yeasty spice kind of after taste. Almost like a belgian. Well I guess they have it classifed as belgian on here, and the brew put had it listed as a golden ale. It was a interesting offering, thats for sure. The 8.5% alc wasn't noticable at all. Decent beer overall.

4.07/5  rDev +6%

Picked a growler of this up last night at Bierkraft in Brooklyn.

Pours a very dark golden orange/amber color with hazy golden orange/peach hues when held to a light source and a one finger frothy, pillowy off-white head that has good retention, slowly fading into a lasting ring that coats the glass with streaks of soapy sheets of lacing.

Earthy floral hop aroma with hints of bready yeast, citrus peel, zest peppery spice and slight light fruit. Hints of grapefruit and lemon peel compliment the dank oily ops and there is also a decent graham cracker biscuit malt presence.

Chewy mull body with a lot of fresh floral hop bitterness as well as some nice sweet citrus character. The bitterness from the hops last but become less prominent as they are countered by the graham cracker and biscuit malts as well as a very prominent bready yeast character. Hits of light crisp fruit and ripe banana add to the complexity but the hops are the star here. As mentioned above they are very floral and sweet up front with a slight bitterness that lasts throughout into a delicious dry finish. The ABV is excellently masked making it dangerously drinkable. Usually I don't like hoppy beers to have this much of a malt backbone but I really enjoyed this one. i

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

(From notes)

A - Light clear vibrant orange color; pure white head; spotty lacing down the glass

S - Lightly yeasty; white grapes; touch sweet and fruity overall

T - Yeasty at first; light fruits; a lot of sweetness creeps in; not bad, but not great

M - Medium, a bit slick; soft carbonation

D - Not all that interesting, and a bit sweet for me with regard to the style

Not a bad brew, but not my favorite from Kuhnhenn.

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%

Well, I was TOLD this was a strong IPA, so I was kind of disappointed. But to see here that it was a strong belgian pale ale, then it seems much more spot on. It poured a pretty clear dark coppery and smelled of light fruits and hops. The taste was pretty sweet and hoppy but finished slightly bland. It's mouthfeel was pretty decent and decently drinkable--but not enjoyable enough for me to want to.

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to ogglethorp for this one, poured into a tulip.

Pours a hazy golden brown, very much tea-like, with a small off-white head that recedes to a creamy collar and a soapy swirl in the middle.

The aroma is an interesting combination of piny hops from the simcoe and the sweetness of the candi sugar. There is a hint of spices as well, but the simcoe is most prevalent. Overall the nose is pretty tame.

Wow, the taste is really big with so many disparate tastes hitting the tongue at once. The first thing I got is the candi sugar and Belgian yeast, like a big Belgian beer. But the simcoe really turns it on in the middle and the finish is massively floral with tons of pine resin along with lots of spiciness from the yeast.

The mouthfeel is slick is full-bodied with low, soft carbonation and a definite alcohol burn, especially in the finish. It's almost syrupy, especially as it builds up after each sip.

This is another interesting big beer from Kuhnhenn and the aroma didn't prepare me for the onslaught that I was going to get in the taste. Tons of different flavors from sweetness to floral to almost purfumy. I'm not convinced it comes together perfectly but I'm enjoying sipping on it.

3.23/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured into tulip glass.

Pours less than a half a finger of creamy white head. Head fades down to a minimal layer, but some spider-web lace marks are left behind. Color is hazy burnt orange copper.

Aroma: Quite interesting flavor here. I initially get a big banana aroma, with some cloves and yeast. Then I get a huge lemon citrus flavor. All backed up with earthy hops It is very sweet and interesting.

Taste: I have to admit I wasn't expecting to taste the amount of alcohol that I am tasting in this beer. The flavor is very musky. Bananas, cloves, lemon citrus, yeast, caramel all mash together for a taste that isn't too enjoyable. Some earthy hops are present as well.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, a little bitter, all mixed with a nice amount of alcohol. Medium body with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends with a sticky mixed flavored aftertaste.

Overall, this beer just does not work. Nothing seems to fit together at all. Too much alcohol, too musky, and too much going on at once (in a bad way). Maybe I got a bad bottle, in which I would reevaluate, other I really don't plan on drinking this one again.

3.4/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Acquired this in a trade thanks to cosco. Pours honey in color with white head. I had no idea what to expect of this beer. I just assumed from the name that it would be an IPA, but that's not the case. Honestly, I don't know whether this is supposed to be any specific style. Regardless, on the nose, I'm getting hops (simcoe, I assume), sweet malt, and a tad of honey. Same with the taste, which is quite sweet and floral. But there are also some clove and spice qualities characteristic of a Belgian brew. So perhaps this is a hybrid? Body is a tad on the thick syrupy side for my taste, and drinkability suffers for it. An interesting beer, but it doesn't come across as tightly focused. A bit of multiple personality disorder here with too much going on for my taste.

3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

A - Murky light honey, good head leaves slow to disk. Lots of cling left.

S - Tart maltiness is the best I can offer.

T - Big time green apple and hop bomb. Weird and leaves a nasty aftertaste for me.

M - Good carb, balance is not to my liking.

D - I don't think I will make it through this one beer.

Kuhnhenn Simcoe Silly from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company