Bourbon Barrel-Aged Barley Wine | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Reviews by 1noa:

4.62/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle from the 2014 Winter Solstice release, savored from a snifter

A: BBBW pours clearer and thinner-looking than I was expecting, with absolutely no head. Kind of a deep brown or mahogany, with bright ruby tones.

S: Aromas are fantastic: old-smelling wood; ripe cherries, dates, and raisins; a little bit of vanilla; and a nice touch of straight alcohol.

T: But the taste is where this one heads to another dimension: an incredible blend of wood, alcohol, red fruits, and butterscotch. Everything the nose promised, and more.

M: Mouthfeel is surprisingly light and on the thinner, vinous side. Essentially no carb.

O: A world-class English barleywine, and a great way to wind down the weekend. Loved the strong wood presence, the slick mouthfeel, and everything about the way it tastes. This is about as good as a BA English barleywine gets (though it didn't unseat what I think is the king of the style, Mother of All Storms).

4.56/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, from the 2013 Winter Solstice release. Poured into a GLBC snifter today, 1/12/2014.

Appears just like BB4D- dark brown, very hazy and nearly opaque, with a fairly minimal tan head that leaves a small film. It looks boozy, but maybe that's just because I know it's made by Kuhnhenn.

Smells friggin' phenomenal. Intense toffee and butterscotch notes round out a vanilla marshmallow bomb. Seriously reminds me of the likes of BVDL in how much vanilla and marshmallow there is, and the intensity of it. Best smellin' barleywine I've ever sniffed. It does get some more solvent alcohol as it warms up though, which isn't unexpected.

It's not quite living up to what it smells like, but it's still very good. Intense butterscotch and toffee flavours along with a nice rich barrel vanilla flavour that is not overpowering like in the nose. Brown sugar, molasses, anything else that makes a beer sweet- it's in here but this is still balanced by a bit of alcohol heat and oak.

Medium-thick bodied, about what I'd want from a good barleywine. A bit sticky, solid carbonation. A sipper due to the intensity of the flavours and the ABV is definitely a lot less apparent than the 14% it says on the label.

Phenomenal English Barleywine. Probably the best I've had to date that wasn't made from third-run barrels. It's very similar to Bourbon County Barleywine- but the smell on this one blows away the BCBW. I do think the BCBW is more balanced and easier to drink. Either way, if you enjoy sweet and boozy barleywines, this is absolutely your beer.

4.3/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Date: 04/29/2011
Type: 12oz. Bottle
Vintage: 2010 Winter Solstice
Glass: Portsmouth Tulip

Would like to thank AgentZero for sending me this bottle in my WW5 box. Much appreciated!

Pours a deep brown tobacco in color w/ only a skim coat tan head, only a ring of bubbles around the glass. Leaves little to no lacing on the glass. Well, it looks like an English Barleywine. Aromas of bourbon, vanilla,oak, covering brown sugar and caramel. The taste was just about the same, but a touch more complex. Big bourbon/vanilla/oak up front, followed by caramel and brown sugar, and finishing with tobacco and leather. Thin to medium bodied. Would have liked this one a little more lush. You are not going to drink alot of this one, w/ the 15.1% ABV showing it's face throughout.

Overall, this was a pleasure to sample! For what it is, it's fantastic w/ excellent complexity and depth. Age will only make this one better. However, for me the 15.1% ABV and strong bourbon character were too much for me, as I really struggled to finish my 12oz. glass. Not my cup of tea, but very good.

4.51/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

4.7/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mega thanks goes out to Mothman, for sharing this with me. 6 oz of this whale, all to myself!

Pours a amber orangish color, clear with some flaky sediment. Poured with a head, but shrinks and disappears. Leaves little to no lacing.

The nose is strong and intense. Big woody notes. I don't get a ton of bourbon here, or booze for that matter. Just a dry, oaky, caramely, malty barleywine. It smells fantastic.

Sitting here now reviewing this, I'm kind of amazed that the ABV on this is so high. I never imagined it was this high when I was enjoying it. Being the last beer of the night, one could argue my senses were skewed. I beg to differ, as we sipped on some low ABV sours for quite some time before cracking into this night cap. And boy was it a night cap...

The taste is great...brown sugar and caramel, oak and malts, sweet toffee and vanilla. Again, literally no alcohol, it's incredibly well hidden amongst the layers of intense flavors. It's different every time I take a sip, and evolves as it warms. This was sipped and savored over the course of half an hour or so.

About medium in body, with a pefect carbonation level. Smooth and slightly boozy in the feel. I only say that because you can feel the heat in your throat and stomach, it's just hard for me to taste actual alcohol. Drinkability is probably criminally dangerous.

Obviously, a world class beer. One I will probably never get to try again. The beer exceeds the hype on this one. If you don't like this beer, then BA Barleywine's just aren't for you, as this is the top of it's class. Thanks Ben for this once in a lifetime chance!

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

3.46/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Among the darkest barleywines I've poured, it's more menacing than inviting. NO head to speak of suggests this one's a bruiser! It looks thick like coagulated mud. Should I sip...or spoon? As an aside, I find cheap foil wrappings a tad on the tacky side.

It smells like bourbon barrel-aged formaldehyde...I mean, it smells like death. The nose is SO potent and it's off-turning like a waft from a liquor bottle. I know it teeters on 15%, and I like the big-hitters, but I'm not sure how imma handle this one. Objectively, the nos is bourbon and alcohol with tinges of toasted caramelized toffee. The burning raw strength is an abrasive weakness.

The taste is more palatable than expected, despite (because of?) the burnt nose hairs. An odd, toffee caramel corn provides a sweet and buttery feel. It's oily. I wonder what more carbonation would do. The buttery taste is NOT creamy. I'd love to try it on tap! How crazy would nitro be? It's like that initial tongue touch has a candied appeal, but the gasoline burn makes it a serious sipper. Tastes like butter oil but burns like gasoline--I wonder if I could put it in the popcorn popper.

Like each of the few brews I've had from Kuhnhenn Brewing, it's a nice novelty, strongly sweet bear of a beer. Do they make a pale ale? I respect going big, and I seek out the barrelly influenced (bourbon on the taste here is nearly an afterthought), but I'm still uncertain about these liquids from Warren, MI. Gosh, there are so many beers from MI....

4.48/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.28/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

2017 vintage poured into a Founders KBS stem. Thanks to @FlintB for sending this my way during NBS BIF#007!

Pour is the medium brown of rich toffee or dates. Lightening at the corner, and nary a hint of a head save for a few scattered soapy bubbles that accumulate at the edge.

Cold, the nose leads with a woody character and some faint chocolate and alcohol. I'mma let this warm up for a bit, because I have a sneaking suspicion I pulled it too cold from the fridge and it will benefit from opening up a little bit.
OK. Checking back in on it I think I made the right move. While still lead by the woody character of the barrel, there is a little more depth and richness to it as well as some slight char on the malts.

Rich notes of caramel and vanilla and sugar dates. Spicy bourbon influence and some tobacco and leather... classic BW flavours wrapped in a sipping level bourbon influence that is incredibly rich and creamy and smoothe.

Big smoothe rich body. Like velvet on the tongue. Carbonation plays off the spicy bourbon notes nicely. Definitely a sipper, but 14.5% is not as in your face as I would have expected. Just incredibly smoothe and rich and impressively drinkable for how big it is.

Very much enjoying this one. Thanks for sending it along Brian!!

3.75/5  rDev -15.2%

4.32/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Barley Wine from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company