Kuhnhenn Todd's Michigan Mud | Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Outstanding

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company
kbrewery.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Made by our very own Todd Schwem, this Chocolate Stout was made with cocoa nips from Ghana and vanilla beans from Madagascar. It is quite rich, black in color and complex. It begins with intense chocolate and finishes with vanilla.

Added by MasterSki on 10-26-2012

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Thanks saisonrichbiere for the hook up

The beer pours jet black with an inch of dense tan head that fades down to a centimeter thick blanketing. The nose is potent milk chocolate, very sweet, but not black tuesday sweet. The taste engages my palate with more complexity than just the chocolate-milk-beer I'd expected. Rich milk chocolate up front transitions into a dry, bitter, >65% cocoa-like finish. It's safely medium bodied, if not full bodied, smooth, reasonably attenuated and has a dry Irish-stout-like finish. Honestly, the back-end bitter roastiness and touch of acidity brings out the vanilla, which is almost completely overpowered by the nibs. I like this beer more than most milk stouts, especially with definitive vanilla and cocoa and a maintained drinkability (i.e. it doesn't feel/taste like I'm chugging down Hershey's syrup), but I'm not sure I'd make a second request for it considering kuhnhenn's other offerings

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Picked up at Kuhnhenn during the '13 eisbock release. Pours dark and seemingly thin for the style, just about no light getting through this one. Somewhat small head, tan in color, bubbly; dissipates to nothing but a light skin within a minute or two.

Aroma is full of deep cocoa and deep espresso. I know I'm being vague when I say "deep" cocoa, but that's really the best way to describe it. It's not overly sweet or cloying, and at the same time, it's not too dark or insanely bitter. It's a nice mix of bittersweet and it's very pleasing to the nose. The espresso/coffee is a bit stronger than expected, but it's a good addition. I love coffee and it's done moderately enough to not be overdone but enough to compliment the chocolate. The aroma also gives off a creamy and "dairy" feel, delicate and silky.

The nose is a great indication of the way this one is gonna taste - a nice, creamy, dark chocolate is the first thing to hit the senses. Perfect balance of sweetness and roast. The sweetness of the chocolates hit first, and it slowly cascades into a more roasted profile, leaving being the cloying, sweet aftertaste that causes so many other "sweet stouts" to suffer in my opinion. Coffee doesn't come out like it did in the aroma - it's there, but it's pretty far in the background when compared to the cocoa nibs.

Very solid all around - milky, creamy, and savory. No real hop profile that I'm picking up from this one, but luckily it's not so sweet as to need that bitter counterpoint, and this one survives well without it. Aftertaste is a nice 50/50 mix of milk and dark chocolate - perfectly bittersweet. Medium bodied, felt thinner than the appearance would let you believe, moderate carbonation.

With "sweet stouts", you never really know how it's gonna turn out. Oftentimes they end up being a little too over the top with the sweetness and end up being cloying and unenjoyable by the finish (See: ST Creme Brulee). But this chocolate profile was done perfectly. Executed extremely well, this one is drinkable all the way through, giving nice amounts of chocolate without giving you diabetes. Goddamn the one bottle limit, I want more of this stuff.

4.41/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served poured into a goblet from a 12oz bottle picked up at the release yesterday

Appearance- Thick, oily ebony. Like a dark espresso with only about a half inch of hot cocoa-looking head that didn't quite rise to the top of the glass. I had to shake up the last quarter of the bottle to even get this carbonation up. Aside from the lack of head, a great looking imperial milk stout.

Smell- Roasty cocoa and coffee, strong vanilla extract, sweet lactose tartness, a hint of allspice comes through as all of the aromas blend together. Perhaps this is the hop character poking through, as there is really no hop aroma to speak of. Overall, this has a nose of homemade hot chocolate spiked with a dash of cognac. Very nice. Again, a great representation of the style.

Taste- Big chocolate hit followed by malted milk, nutmeg, cinnamon. Very akin to a Mexican chocolate without the chilis. Not much coffee flavor given the coffee character in the nose. Faint corn sweetness (maybe the malt working in tandem with the lactose) creeps in leading to an added bonus- the aftertaste in your mouth tastes like you just ate a big bowl of cocoa puffs. This is awesome.

Mouthfeel- Smooth and creamy. As expected. As I mentioned in the appearance about the lack of noticeable carbonation- I find this to be normal in every kuhnhenn beer I have had. While in some styles I find it off-putting, I am perfectly fine with it here. Smooth and creamy from start to finish with very minimal bubbly interference. Just enough carbonation- perfect for an imperial milk stout, and helps the drinkability quite a bit.

Overall- I am not going to beat around the bush here, this beer is AMAZING. I did not expect to enjoy this beer as much as I do. That being said, I am super bummed that there was a 1-bottle limit on this when I picked it up. I may have to head back and get another. Everything works in harmony here to produce a great result. This may be my favorite kuhnhenn beer, and hope that some day I can get a bourbon barreled offering if they make one. I would love to try a draught pour. I love big stouts, but milk stouts are not usually my favorite style. This one breaks the mold and is definitely up there in the ranks for me now. A great breakfast style stout for sure. I would drink this any time.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last