Church-Key The Great Gats Beer | Church-Key Brewing Company

Church-Key Brewing Company
Ontario, Canada
churchkeybrewing.com

Style: Bière de Garde

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by ritzkiss on 07-09-2011

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
1.76/5  rDev n/a

400ml serving at Volo. Something got into me and I decided to order Church Key after a long hiatus. Perhaps it was my long dormant English lit degree influencing me....

A hazy light golden sitting almost placid in the stemmed glassware, murky and much too still.

One whiff lets you know this is a Church Key special... weeks old blue cheese is dominant. Hint of malt perhaps in there too but all I can think is bad cheese, funky and over ripe.

Taste is also loaded with this putrid cheese flavor, hints of baby vomit, a light citric and green apple tartness and souring quality hidden underneath which perhaps gestures to what they were trying for. Hard to determine the style here but loads of ripe blue cheese, strawberries, sweaty socks and boxers you've worn too long. I love my funky beers but this is not funk in a good way, it's funk in a 'What the Hell!' sort of way. Each sip I grimaced but I choked it down, cursing myself for spending my $ on this waste.

Edit: I've now seen this beer referred to as a Bier de Garde, which makes me smile.

Church-Key The Great Gats Beer from Church-Key Brewing Company