Simple Malt Fumée Massive | Brasseurs Illimités

Style: Smoked Beer

Added by Yoonisaykul on 11-06-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.49/5  rDev -4.9%

Dark black color beer, or if you prefer VERY dark brown color. No head.

The aroma is smoky with some maple notes. Caramel is present too. The aroma of those smoky beers is always dominated by smoke. Not bad but more one dimensional. No complexity here but I like it. The taste is up front smoky... just like smoked salmon. The smoky notes linger in the mouth. Almost no bitterness, it is more smoke all the way. This beer is one dimensional for me. You gotta like smoke to appreciate this brew. The alcohol is present here, but well hidden.

I would say this brew is well balanced, but one dimensional. Still a good brew, however not sure I would drink more than one per session.

4.24/5  rDev +15.5%

Had with my supper, PC quesadillas.

Appearance: Pours a nearly opaque brown body with a cascading 3 finger toffee colored head than recedes to nothing in less than a minute.

Smell: Very smoky and woody. Nice and full without being overpowering.

Taste: Starts out quiet a bit with some smoke that is present but more discreet than the aroma. Through the middle i get a sweeter flavor with caramel and maple and it finishes with a nice bitter touch. Images of wood fires come to mind as well as smoked cheese.

Mouthfeel: Average to high carbonation with a great balance though maybe not as robust as i would like.

Drinkability: ABV is not a factor as this drinks remarkably well. I would have this again for sure.

Overall: This beer surprised me because it's previous incarnation (Calumet Grand Chef) was not a big hit with me. I was skeptical with this one but it proved me wrong. Definitely worth checking out and much better than their Double Porter.

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

A- Deep black, with slight dark brown highlights. Small beige, brown head went fast. I'm not seeing much lacing. A few dots here and there.

S- Right away, the smokiness isn't really massive. Some nice chocolaty alcohol. A bit of cantaloupe.

T- Good sweet smokey beer. Was expecting something a lot more extreme. Cantaloupe, whisky alcohol, maple syrup sweetness and dark chocolate bitterness. A bit of dark fruit. I'd say the alcohol fits in well.

M- Isn't thin but feels a bit thin. Might be the taste. Sharp but moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel ain't this beers strong point.

D- Good. I'd drink a pint of it in a bar if the mouthfeel was more satisfying.

Well, nothing really massive about this beer. It's good though.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last