Hammerhead Ale | McMenamins

Hammerhead AleHammerhead Ale

McMenamins
United States
mcmenamins.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-09-2003

Reviews: 41 | Ratings: 133
Reviews by MaltsOfGlory:
3.63/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A pretty standard, maybe a tiny bit aggressive pour, gives me a huge three finger head, almost annoying in size. I poured it into my standard pint glass, the head is just a hair off white and is pretty darn fluffy and pillowy, but it's also a little soapy. Not sure about lacing yet, I'll know once I get the the bottom of the glass. The body is a very nice amber color, which some hints of orange in it, maybe a little bit darker than I would like a pale ale to be, but oh well. The carbonation looks just about perfect, it looks dead even on medium. Visibility is eh, ok, I can see a few things on the other side of the beer, but for the most part it's too dark to see all that much. Really it's the perfect visibility for a pale ale. Head retention is pretty good, I only have about a one finger head left, but the head overall hasn't been going anywhere too quickly. We'll see how the lacing goes, but so far this beer looks very nice. The smell of this beer is a little interesting. Overall the smell is very big, it has a lot of hops, and a lot of malts. The problem is I think the malts are a tiny bit too heavy, it's pretty well balanced, but sometimes that's a bad thing, depending on the style. I dunno, usually I don't complain about a pale ale being balanced, come to think of it, it's really a beer that should be balanced, so maybe I'm just not a fan of the malts they are using. Yeah, I think that's it, the malts just smell too sweet, like in a irish red or something. The hops are just about perfect, but the malts are bothering me. The smell overall isn't too complex, maybe some fruit in here, but for the most part it's just the hops and the malts. It is a big smell though, and that's a plus. Overall a good smell, but the malts are for sure scaring me a bit. Either way it's a solid smelling beer. Maybe it deserves a 4 for the smell, but I'm gonna give it a 3.5. Wow, that's not what I was expecting at all on the taste. The taste really isn't a big as the smell was, at all. The smell was pretty much as big as you could ask a beer to be, and the taste is just standard. It's a good taste, and it's for sure not weak or anything, it's just not as big as the smell was. The malts aren't the kind of malts that I like, but they aren't the offensive, the hops nullify them pretty well. The beer is pretty well balanced like I thought it would be. Eh, on second thought the malts are a bit annoying, nothing huge, but still. The hops really hit the spot on this beer, they are just what the doctor ordered in a pale ale, it's too bad the malts aren't the best. I want lighter malts in a pale ale, I'm assuming the malts are what's making this beer darker than I would like, and they are for sure what's making it sweeter than I would like. It's a very solid taste, and I keep consider giving it a 4, but it's just not quite there yet, it's really close, but not quite there. The mouthfeel however is pretty spot on, the carbonation is just perfect, and the body is exactly what you want in a pale ale, not too thick, not too thin. The drinkability is very nice, it's a pretty tasty beer, it's not too boozy, and it goes down pretty well. Overall it's a very interesting beer, not exactly what I want in a pale ale, but very very close to EXACTLY what I want. I mean the hops were just killer in this beer, but the malts brought the taste down a fair amount for me. The smells was the same story really. Mouthfeel was very good though. Overall a good beer, and a few tweaks here and there and it could be a great beer.

The appearance turned out to be pretty darn good. The lacing wasn't perfect, pretty patchy, but it still followed me pretty far down the glass non the less. The carbonation and visibility were good on the body, but the color wasn't my favorite. The head was very nice, although it didn't last forever, most heads don't. Overall it's a good looking beer, a solid 4.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev +2%

On tap at Bagdad. This is not the best pint of Hammerhead I've had; I wonder from which McMenamins brewery it originates. It's still pretty good though, I had no trouble polishing off a pitcher of it over the course of the movie. This is an exceptionally fruity pale ale, a ripe orange amber color and more reminiscent of New England beers such as Magic Hat or Ipswich than some other West Coast ales. The head is good and lasting but the mouthfeel seems a bit thinner than I remember other samples being. There's a judicious amount of hops but the beer is not overly bitter. I think this is one of the all-around better beers McMenamins offers, which stands to reason since it's available at all their pubs.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%

A: deep hazed copper color, looks like pennies in a glass. No head just a thin ring

S: thin floral and grassy hops, touch of caramel

T: kick of hops, caramel and malts sit way in back. Medium to heavy hop profile. Overall the hops are prominent, but the brew lacks in overall complexity

M: mild body, medium carbonation

D: hops hit you and not much else, hops reminiscently stale to some degree. Nice average-plus pale ale and by far the best showing I have had from McMenamins

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

One finger of fluffy head with dark amber colored body.
Smell is a nice pine and citrus.
Taste is pine all the way with a nice malt balance. Solid and tasty.
Soft texture with moderate carbonation and medium body.
A nice and drinkable IPA with a good profile.

3.51/5  rDev -1.4%

Great head retention with a good copper brown color. The smell is a little off, it has almost a bit of a sour smell. I was a little turned off by the smell, but the taste made of for that. The taste is a bit sweeter when it comes in the bottle rather than having it from the pub on tap. After the sweetness comes the finishing taste which offers a dry slightly bitter taste. Overall the beer is pretty good but I would suggest trying it at the brew pub rather than in the bottle.

3.51/5  rDev -1.4%

Just filled a growler.. but it's basically fresh off the tap....

- Dark semi-cloudy ruby copper color... thin later of white head down to a thin cake of fine foam.

- Sweet malts, English malts... nutty... bready... yeasty.. light citrusy and floral hops.... but malt dominates the nose.

- Sweet bready grains, nutty flavor.. smooth caramel, balanced with a nice bitter touch of hops with a shallow blend of citrus and floral qualities. Certainly balanced and smooth.

- Medium bodied... slightly creamy.. light bitter dryness.

- Overall a staple beer of theirs... it's been around for ever. Does it hold up to a lot of the craft beers out there today? Barely... but it still holds its own.

2.62/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

First had: on tap at McMenamins Pub, Oak Hills in Beaverton Or

Poured orange with a haze through it. It had a white lace on it.

Smell was appracots and hops.

Taste malts hops with hops winning out in the end. Nothing that will blow your tastes buds away in my opion.

This was a dry beer. I couldn't drink 2 or three in an evening.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hammerhead Ale from McMenamins