Terminator Stout | McMenamins

Added by Reidrover on 04-13-2003

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

3.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured on tap at the Grand Lodge McMenamins in Forest Grove, OR. Reviewed from notes.

A- Finger width tan head. Deep brown color, thin spotty lacing.

S- Roast malts, coffee smells. Lighter for a dark color. Some oak.

T- Nice medium malts and very subtle coffee flavor. Finishes bitter with a dark chocolate taste.

M- Medium bodied, maybe a touch over carbonated. Little linger.

O- Not bad, but I've had better stouts. Would try again.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

Since I live only a couple blocks from the Grand Lodge it is convenient and my duty to conduct quality control expeditions to this pub. Terminator is one of my all time favorites. It delivers what you expect from a stout. The color is a mystic oracle to be read. The head is imposing and the lacing is a pattern for Oregon spiders to emulate. For those who don't live in the Northwest...I pity you. The taste is fresh and lively...reminiscent of Guittard's. The mouthfeel is, "I want this to be the last thing I taste before I go to bed." Yum.

4.42/5  rDev +16.6%

A somewhat aggressive pour gives me a pretty good sized, one and a half finger head. The head is light brown in color, pretty dark for the head of a beer, even for a stout, but not too dark, it looks very nice. The head started off pretty fluffy and creamy looking, but has dissipated so fast that it is pretty much just your average one centimeter of bubbles. Not sure how the lacing will be, but judging by the lack of head, I doubt it'll be any good. The body is absolutely pitch black, for sure one of the darkest beers I've ever seen, which is saying a lot. There aren't even any hints of other colors in the body, it's just...black. Zero visibility through this beer. Can't see any carbonation due to the color. Overall not a bad looking beer, the head was pretty lame, but the extremely dark body kinda makes up for it. We'll see how the lacing goes, but for now the appearance is decent. Wow, that smell is really amazing. I'm trying to remember what beer this reminds me of, because it smells exactly like a beer I've had before, a really great beer. Dark, rich malts on the nose, for sure some chocolate and maybe some coffee as well in here. The smell is just very big, but also really clean and smooth smelling. Somewhat complex also, and overall just super good. It just smells so freaking good, I don't know what else to say, I'm excited! The taste is very rich and very very good. Flavors just kinda explode in ur mouth, and they take a little bit to sort out. The dark malts are extremely present, pretty sure there is some chocolate in here as well. Maybe some coffee, but if there is any it's not very present at all. The taste is very powerful and really demands your attention. There are a lot of flavors, and a lot of power to each of those flavors. With all this being said, there are for sure some rough parts to this beer. For one, it's pretty darn sweet, all the flavors and the alcohol nullify it a little bit, but it is for sure sweeter than I would like. The hops are also a little rough, it's good that they are there and that they are noticeable, but I dunno, it definitely makes things a little rough. Finally this beer is only 6.45% ABV, and the alcohol is pretty present, this is definitely the most annoying factor of the beer, I know that the ABV on this beer is higher than your average beer, but only by about 1%, the alcohol shouldn't be this present. I mean in retrospect the hops and the sweetness aren't bad, they just....I dunno, are weird. On some sips I really like those flavors, and on other they are a bit annoying. The alcohol however is always annoying. With all of that being said, it's still a really amazing taste. I'm going to have a hard time grading this beer, because it's so tasty, and it has such a big and flavorful taste, but it does have a few small problems. I'm trying to decide between 4 and 4.5. I'm really leaning towards 4.5, even though it might not totally be there yet. Yeah, it's a really great tasting beer, 4.5. The mouthfeel is good, the carbonation is a little high, but it works for this beer. The body is a little thin, but it's big enough for the style. Overall the mouthfeel is pleasant and it works for the beer, but a little thin and carbonated. Even though the alcohol is pretty noticeable, the beer is still pretty drinkable, because it is just so dang tasty. Overall it's a really awesome beer, and one that I for sure will have again if I have the option. Super big flavor, very good tasty, robust, full. There are some small drawbacks, but overall it's a really awesome beer.

The appearance turned out to be....not bad. The lacing was extremely patchy, and kinda all over the place. It followed me pretty far down the glass, but it wasn't that great, like I said. The head was bad from the beginning, but the body was very nice. So pretty bad lacing (but at least there was lacing), pretty lame head, and a great body, I'm thinking a 4 is fair.

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%

22 oz bottle poured into a small stein

A - standard brown bomber with terminator logo on it. Poured the beer right down the middle and slowly about 1 finger of attractive dark tan head appeared. As I was appreciating the deep dark color of the beer, the head thinned out. It was pretty while it lasted - and some bubbles hold on. There is also some pretty good lacing. Definitely looks like a stout.

S - wonderful mixture of yeast, coffee, hints of chocolate, maybe some Irish cream - very enjoyable. Wouldn't mind being more overwhelmed with aroma, but it's good.

T - tastes great, a lot like the aroma. Stronger though. Still not overwhelming, but I guess this isn't an imperial stout. Nice mix of coffee, creamy chocolate notes, and roasted malts.

M - interesting. It's creamy but also astringent. A tad dry in the aftertaste, but also leaves some coating.

O - a very solid stout. Nothing bad about it, but I wish it were even stronger. Then again, as it is, this is a very accessible beer and definitely worth trying.

Terminator Stout from McMenamins