R.J. King Wingwalker Amber Ale | World Brews

wineryexchange.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by scruffwhor on 07-12-2006

1.66/5  rDev -41.5%

Somehow this ended up in my refrigerator. Poured into a pint glass. This one pours a light amber color with a small pillow of white foam with a little bit of soapy lace.

The aroma has a faint grainy toasty malts with a little bit of sweetness rounding it out. Seems to have a little bit of caramel in the background with no real hop presence. Ugh, that's bad. Kind of tastes like cough syrup. Actually, this tastes exactly like cough syrup.

Heavy body with low carbonation. Pretty syrupy flavor. Overall, this sucks. Not even close to enjoyable.

1.82/5  rDev -35.9%

Look is run of the mill, anticlimactic amber swill. Nose of artificial malt and Splenda. Artificial sweetener taste. Overly carbonated mouthfeel. One of the worst beers I've had in years. The label says it's made in Rochester, but it seems from the Advocate that it's made in LaCrosse. Given the taste, no surprise. The version I had was 4.5% abv.

1.85/5  rDev -34.9%

Appearance: Not really an amber color; more of just orangey-yellow.

Smell: Corny and bitter (not a good hoppy bitter; more of a stale bitter).

Taste: Reminds me of Michelob Amberbock. A very "cheap" taste, especially for an amber. No real tastes of note.

Mouthfeel: Thin and flat.

Drinkability: I guess it's an easy beer, but maybe the worst amber I've had.

1.88/5  rDev -33.8%

Aroma is sweet and malty and gives me what seems like Vienna malt. No hops to speak of. It's also got a pretty strong unmashed malt grain aroma. Unfortunately I also get a buttery diacetyl aroma too which is a problem.

Deep amber colored with just a little bit of head on top. Clear but there's no carbonation bubbles to look at either. It just sits there and looks lifeless in my glass.

Starts sweet and malty. There's just a little bit of hop bitterness in the background but it's mostly sweet. There's some fruity yeast esters. But mostly I get sweet and not necessarily in a barley malt way, kind of syrupy. The bottle says "Roasted malt and Creamy Marzen Style" but I don't get any roast flavors at all.

Body is medium full and the carbonation level is very low. The light carbonation makes it seem much heavier than it really is.

It's pretty rare for me to find a beer I can't say anything good about. I bought a six pack because it was new to me. Drank half of one, dumped it and had another because I thought it might be just the one bottle. Next bottle was the same. I probably won't open the remaining four.

2.17/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I was impressed with the wingwalker pale ale so this naturally made its way into the stockpile to check out. Poured into a tall pils glass it forms a small white head that fades to a thin cover w/ minimal lace. Light copper body.

Missing alot of characteristics I would associate with a red or an amber. The label states its a marzen and I would lean that way as well. Very soft malts without any backend wooded qualities. Similar to the spaten oktoberfest but this has more of a spicey hop presence. Mouthfeel doesn't clean up much, its creamy and stays that way for some time taking a hit to the drinkability as well.

Notes: Slightly roasted malts are nice and the hops subtle zip is just in time. The downside was the long lasting creamy, oily mouth makes this tough to drink more than a couple. Lack of depth. If you don't like this one from Lacrosse you still might want to try the pale.

2.19/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

A- Clear dark golden color, have to work really hard to build up a head on this one and it doesn't stay around long. Lots of bubbles from the bottom.

S- Has a caramel tone to it, but you get a mineral metallic smell mixed in. Smells like a canned beer.

T- Tastes like caramel sugar water with some honey mixed in. Not very exciting.

M- Hardly any carbonation to it and has a syrup watery feel to it.

O- This is a sad beer. If you are still tempted to try this after reading this post, get someone else to by it so you don't have to waste your money.

2.22/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a reddish blonde ale with decent carbonation and a very nice head of foam. Aroma is nice and malty, somewhat sweet with the hops upfront and malt in the nose. Taste is very sweet, almost too sweet. No date code so I can't tell if that's intended or not. Mostly malt that shows through but the sweetness is almost too much for me. No balance.

2.28/5  rDev -19.7%

I was drawn to this by the label.

A: Definitely a deep copper color but not as much trace red to the color as I would expect. Not much head nor head retention.

S: Light malty smell. Lagerish in aroma.

T: Sugar and malt. This seemed to me to be neither an amber nor an ale but instead a lager. Tasted watery and reminiscent of certain macros.

M: Very bubbly. I would not have expected it considering the head issues.

D: If you are not ready for a heavy toasted malt flavor, try this. This is just not an amber ale to me.

2.4/5  rDev -15.5%

2.43/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured into a glass. Very bubbly/fizzy head that goes away very quickly. Beer is the color of apple juice. Definitely not very Amber in color.

Hard to pick out any particular aroma. Kind of smells like apple juice too.

Tastes of sweet malts. I could go for some hop flavor of any kind. Very light.

Feels surprisingly medium-bodied and creamy, but pretty prickly from the carbonation.

Over all, I think they could have done much better. Could make a good session brew though.

2.43/5  rDev -14.4%

Bottle from Albertson’s in Tehachapi, CA. The beer is a clear pale amber color with a medium off-white head that dissipates steadily. Spotty lacing. Aroma of sweet malt and bread. Light, smooth body with a metallic character and overly saccharine sweet malt flavor. Touches of fruit as well. The finish is cloyingly sweet malt and mercifully short. Not very enjoyable overall.

2.46/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Not sure why they call it Amber Ale ... pretty damn light for it but whatever, I'll chalk it up as the extreme light end of Amber Ales. Good clarity and a half decent head. A little carbonic, citric and grassy grain in the aroma. A little smooth as the crispness has dropped out quick, creamy medium body. Residuals throw a sweetness at the palate and the hops have a tough time balancing but at least keeps it from being cloying but still a little bothersome. Residuals stick around in the finish, odd sweetness.

I'm not too fond of this beer at all, so many top notch Amber Ales out there ... even on the cheap I would not buy this.

2.48/5  rDev -12.7%

Drank straight from the bottle at a party last night--can't speak to the appearance too much. Smells sweet with only a little bit of hops. Tastes sugary sweet, not the kind of malty sweetness you want in an amber ale. After taste has a sourness that doesn't do the corn syrup sweetness any favors. Tastes a little... stale maybe? Just not good flavor in general. Mouthfeel is a little sticky and a little prickly. Not heavy, but not likeable enough to want to drink more.

Not much to really like here, I didn't even finish the bottle.

2.52/5  rDev -11.3%

This is a really light amber ale. If I wanted to convert a "yellow beer drinker," I probably would use this. It is a step up from bad beer.

Appearance: One of the lightest amber ales, I have ever seen.

Smell: Not Much

Taste: Water

Drinkability: It goes down pretty easy.

2.55/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle drank from an american pint glass.

A- this has got to be the lightest colored amber beer ive ever come across. very pale and translucent. a small eggshell colored head lasts for a while and leaves behind small spots of lacing.

S- very light nose on this one. semi sweet caramel and toffee malt and a tiny bit of earthy hops are all i can come up with.

T- the taste is rather light as well. caramel and toffee like malts. a little bit of sweetness. very light in the hop department.

M- light bodied and highly carbonated.

D- i think my buddy is going to have trouble getting through the rest of this 12 pack.

2.57/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Very light amber appearance, comes just as close to yellow. See through to the max, thin head whisps away. Aroma was red malt, earth.

Taste was again that red malt mildness, like it was toasted with some dirt on it unwashed. Sweetness comes up downbottle, highly carbonated.

Below average amber ale.

2.58/5  rDev -9.2%

I had high expectations for this when I saw it in the store. After getting home I was somewhat disappointed. I poured from 12oz bottle int a 16oz Pilsner glass, the glass was frosted in the freezer.
It has a slight malty taste with low hop flavor which is correct for the style, but I got a yeast flavor profile that I didn't care for. It was reminiscent of a Belgian yeast used the wrong way.
The color was a nice copper, but not red by any stretch. There was a little head when poured into the glass, but it soon faded away with no lacing on the glass. I will probably not be picking anymore of this up, except for friends who like this kind of style. Not a completely bad beer, it is drinkable and enjoyable, I would just rather pay for something a bit better.

2.58/5  rDev -9.2%

I bought this beer because of the name and label, but I think my mind would have been made up after only one. Unfortunately I bought a 12 pack because they were on sale.

(A) Typical amber color. It is fairly carbonated and the head foams up nicely but quickly dies down. Although the head doesn't stick around, the lacing does.

(S) There isn't much for smell here. Hops and maybe a hint of caramel. I noticed somewhat of a yeasty smell too that made me wonder if the beer was skunked. I think they're all this way though because none of them actually tasted skunked.

(T) I would describe the taste as water that is lightly infused with the essence of American Ale. Several people mentioned Splenda which is interesting to me.

(M) Mouthfeel is good. It's light, crisp, an clean.

(D) This beer is very drinkable and goes down smoothly. It leaves virtually no aftertaste and has the tenancy to make you forget you're even drinking a beer. It is refreshing. I would drink these while working outdoors on a summer day if someone offered it to me, but I won't go out of my way to buy them again. I wasn't impressed and wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone.

R.J. King Wingwalker Amber Ale from World Brews