R.J. King Wingwalker Amber Ale | World Brews

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
2.5/5  rDev -11.3%

3.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Into a pint glass:

A: slightly golden and not necessarily amber with a fair amount of bubbles and a head that disappears within seconds. It is mostly clear.

S: pale malts with a good amount of sweetness to it, but are not overbearing.

T: pretty grainy has some of the pale malts come out.

M: highly carbonated, and because there is a good amount of bubbles they cause a good amount of burping. It is light bodied with a sweet finish.

O: it is not a bad beer, maybe one to get those friends who drink that malted stuff off of, would I get it again ...., unsure????

2.5/5  rDev -11.3%

2.43/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured into a glass. Very bubbly/fizzy head that goes away very quickly. Beer is the color of apple juice. Definitely not very Amber in color.

Hard to pick out any particular aroma. Kind of smells like apple juice too.

Tastes of sweet malts. I could go for some hop flavor of any kind. Very light.

Feels surprisingly medium-bodied and creamy, but pretty prickly from the carbonation.

Over all, I think they could have done much better. Could make a good session brew though.

2.66/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Thanks to Shannon C. for finding me one of these. The label on my bottle said that this was a Marzen and brewed in Rochester, NY, not LaCrosse, WI.

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a clean, clear, light amber color with about about an inch of white head that had immediate dissipation and no retention or lacing.

The aroma was on the bland side of typical for the style. Good, full malts, a bit of grain and just the faintest whisper of hops. The flavors were also typicalish, sweet, malty and nothing special.

The body was average for the style and perhaps a bit too sticky. Drinkability was OK, but if you're in the mood for this style you can do better. Overall, perhaps this would be a decent sixer to grab for a situation where you're not focused on beer and it would make a good training wheel beer to introduce someone to better beer.

2.58/5  rDev -8.5%

I bought this beer because of the name and label, but I think my mind would have been made up after only one. Unfortunately I bought a 12 pack because they were on sale.

(A) Typical amber color. It is fairly carbonated and the head foams up nicely but quickly dies down. Although the head doesn't stick around, the lacing does.

(S) There isn't much for smell here. Hops and maybe a hint of caramel. I noticed somewhat of a yeasty smell too that made me wonder if the beer was skunked. I think they're all this way though because none of them actually tasted skunked.

(T) I would describe the taste as water that is lightly infused with the essence of American Ale. Several people mentioned Splenda which is interesting to me.

(M) Mouthfeel is good. It's light, crisp, an clean.

(D) This beer is very drinkable and goes down smoothly. It leaves virtually no aftertaste and has the tenancy to make you forget you're even drinking a beer. It is refreshing. I would drink these while working outdoors on a summer day if someone offered it to me, but I won't go out of my way to buy them again. I wasn't impressed and wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone.

2.88/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. 4.5% ABV, no date.

Thanks to cjacobsen for the bottle! It's brewed in Wisconsin but I've only seen it in Jewel in Illinois. That saved me from getting a 12 pack of this.

A - Amber? Not so much. It's more of a golden oak color. But it is brilliantly clear and highly carbonated! A quick white head foams up then lowers to a thin coating with very little lace left over on the glass.

S - Husky grains and pale malt soar out of the glass, bland and uninspired. No real hop nose, it's ok. Not good but not bad.

T - Heavily grainy and full of pale malt, nothing about this resembles an Amber beer. No hop flavor either. A little touch of sweet corn enters on the finish.

M - Highly carbonated, bubbles dance on the tongue and cause high volume belches. Light-bodied and slightly oily with a thin feel and mildly adjunct-sweet finish.

D - This is a lawnmower brew for the masses. Not awful but definitely not something I'd go to any sort of heights (pun intended) to get again. Also, how can it be called an amber? A boring beer posing as craft but still drinkable anyway. Meh.

3.08/5  rDev +9.2%

12 oz bottle

Pours a relatively nice amber color with a thin white head.

Not much of a smell. A little bit of hops but very light.

The taste is pretty close to water. It's got a little bit of flavor hinted at by the malt and very weak hops but is over all just a pretty bland brew.

The mouthfeel is quite nice and smooth, mainly following the fact that it is virtually tasteless and lets face it, water has a nice mouthfeel too.

The drinkability of this beer is very high due to the fact that this is a lawnmower beer and something you can knock down all day long until the cows come home.

In all fairness, I do like this beer and find it a good "any day reach for" kind of brew. Something to drink after yard work or something involved.

2.52/5  rDev -10.6%

This is a really light amber ale. If I wanted to convert a "yellow beer drinker," I probably would use this. It is a step up from bad beer.

Appearance: One of the lightest amber ales, I have ever seen.

Smell: Not Much

Taste: Water

Drinkability: It goes down pretty easy.

2.55/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle drank from an american pint glass.

A- this has got to be the lightest colored amber beer ive ever come across. very pale and translucent. a small eggshell colored head lasts for a while and leaves behind small spots of lacing.

S- very light nose on this one. semi sweet caramel and toffee malt and a tiny bit of earthy hops are all i can come up with.

T- the taste is rather light as well. caramel and toffee like malts. a little bit of sweetness. very light in the hop department.

M- light bodied and highly carbonated.

D- i think my buddy is going to have trouble getting through the rest of this 12 pack.

1.82/5  rDev -35.5%

Look is run of the mill, anticlimactic amber swill. Nose of artificial malt and Splenda. Artificial sweetener taste. Overly carbonated mouthfeel. One of the worst beers I've had in years. The label says it's made in Rochester, but it seems from the Advocate that it's made in LaCrosse. Given the taste, no surprise. The version I had was 4.5% abv.

2.46/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Not sure why they call it Amber Ale ... pretty damn light for it but whatever, I'll chalk it up as the extreme light end of Amber Ales. Good clarity and a half decent head. A little carbonic, citric and grassy grain in the aroma. A little smooth as the crispness has dropped out quick, creamy medium body. Residuals throw a sweetness at the palate and the hops have a tough time balancing but at least keeps it from being cloying but still a little bothersome. Residuals stick around in the finish, odd sweetness.

I'm not too fond of this beer at all, so many top notch Amber Ales out there ... even on the cheap I would not buy this.

3.85/5  rDev +36.5%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees which yes is cold. The beer was a wheatish looking color very strange with a off color head. The smell was a little yeasty. The head was nice and the finish of the beer was slightly sweet but not too bad. The beer was not amber but so what? I liked it and would buy it again.

2.93/5  rDev +3.9%

Fairly loose ivory foam. Very clear medium golden amber beer.

Mild grain aroma with a touch of spicy hops. A bit of macro/Euro lager skunk or bottle aroma, though, too.

Flavor doesn't have that unpleasantness, but not bursting with amazing taste, either. Nice but mild caramel malt sweetness has an ok hop bitterness with notes of hay. A faint dried apple hint, too. Pleasant malty aftertaste lingers surprisingly. Overall, fairly bland, however.

Slightly fizzy mouthfeel in a reasonably bodied beer provides good drinkability. Definitely nothing special here, though.

2.58/5  rDev -8.5%

I had high expectations for this when I saw it in the store. After getting home I was somewhat disappointed. I poured from 12oz bottle int a 16oz Pilsner glass, the glass was frosted in the freezer.
It has a slight malty taste with low hop flavor which is correct for the style, but I got a yeast flavor profile that I didn't care for. It was reminiscent of a Belgian yeast used the wrong way.
The color was a nice copper, but not red by any stretch. There was a little head when poured into the glass, but it soon faded away with no lacing on the glass. I will probably not be picking anymore of this up, except for friends who like this kind of style. Not a completely bad beer, it is drinkable and enjoyable, I would just rather pay for something a bit better.

2.28/5  rDev -19.1%

I was drawn to this by the label.

A: Definitely a deep copper color but not as much trace red to the color as I would expect. Not much head nor head retention.

S: Light malty smell. Lagerish in aroma.

T: Sugar and malt. This seemed to me to be neither an amber nor an ale but instead a lager. Tasted watery and reminiscent of certain macros.

M: Very bubbly. I would not have expected it considering the head issues.

D: If you are not ready for a heavy toasted malt flavor, try this. This is just not an amber ale to me.

3.27/5  rDev +16%

Appearance: Transparent orangeish red body, white soapscum head. Very slight effervescence.

Smell: Malty. Corny. Somewhat sweet. Pretty much what an amber is supposed to taste like, but I get the distinct impression of adjuncts used here...

Taste: Sweet on front, some fruity apple flavors. Slightly cloying on the finish and dry on the aftertaste. A bit sweet for my taste, but not terrible.

Mouthfeel: Thin body, but it does coat the palate. Low carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer has a lackluster presentation, but is really fairly drinkable. This is the last of a six-pack I bought in Chicago, and I remember drinking the first five fairly quickly. I was probably just drinking them straight from the bottle...

3.57/5  rDev +26.6%

A good, red, sweet beer. Its something I look forward to, so I was glad to find this. Its initial pour displayed a high carbonation level, which led to hardly any head, but the reddish orange color was pleasing.
The initial smell was slightly unpleasant, a little old or stale smelling, which is too bad because the sweet taste was refreshing and surprising since this is mostly an unknown brew, as I have been only able to find it in our local Osco.
The caramel taste reminded me of sweet apples, but it is not a fruity beer. The malt characteristics are just strong enough, but there is hardly any hop presence, unfortunately. Aftertaste is pleasantly lasting.
Drinkable, one or two maybe, but not a session beer, just too sweet (and without a little bitterness it won't keep me interested very long).

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

This beer pours a dark clear gold with a white head, slighty carbonated.

Smells light citrus with strong hops.

This beer has a complex palate as it starts light, rough in the middle and a very soft finish of flavor, but overall a very common boring flavor.

2.93/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Pours a copper-bronze with a minimal ivory-white head with virtually no carbonation bubbles. Some lacing, but nothing impressive.

S: Sweet malt with cinnamon and spice

T: Malty and sweet with brown sugar and molasses. Pretty straightforward.

M: Although there was carbonation missing in the pour, it shows itself on the way down. Descent mouthfeel.

D: A drinkable brew that would go great on a fall day. Overall, not bad, but a little too sweet for me.

3.55/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured from a 355 ml. bottle with no obvious date or lot number. I sampled it on January 14, 2009. The color is a handsome copper tone with decent clarity. There is a small bit of off-white head but little to no lingering lacing.

The aroma is clearly of roasted malts and it is an arome that I am fond of. The mouthfeel is a creamy honey-like texture but the flavor is nothing like honey. The taste is more like a bitter with a strong backwash of malts. Actually I thought it was pretty good.

2.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Drank straight from the bottle at a party last night--can't speak to the appearance too much. Smells sweet with only a little bit of hops. Tastes sugary sweet, not the kind of malty sweetness you want in an amber ale. After taste has a sourness that doesn't do the corn syrup sweetness any favors. Tastes a little... stale maybe? Just not good flavor in general. Mouthfeel is a little sticky and a little prickly. Not heavy, but not likeable enough to want to drink more.

Not much to really like here, I didn't even finish the bottle.

1.85/5  rDev -34.4%

Appearance: Not really an amber color; more of just orangey-yellow.

Smell: Corny and bitter (not a good hoppy bitter; more of a stale bitter).

Taste: Reminds me of Michelob Amberbock. A very "cheap" taste, especially for an amber. No real tastes of note.

Mouthfeel: Thin and flat.

Drinkability: I guess it's an easy beer, but maybe the worst amber I've had.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast