Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Big Flats 1901 | World Brews

Big Flats 1901Big Flats 1901
2.54/5
Poor
Big Flats 1901Big Flats 1901

World Brews
wineryexchange.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed by Hop House Brews, La Crosse. WI and Rochester, NY for Walgreens Drug Stores.

Added by alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

THIS IS QUITE POSSIBLY THE BEST BEER EVER CONCEIVED BY THE BREAST OF MAN. THE FOLLOWING REVIEW WILL BE ORGANIZED IN THE TRADITIONAL CATEGORICAL RATING SCALE DEVELOPED BY HOWARD FREDRICKSON OF WHALES IN 1863.

can feel: (7.46/13.71) IN HAND, THE CAN FEELS AS IF YOU ARE HOLDING A ONIX STONE FROM A GLACIAL RIVER OF THE NORTHEASTERN PORTION OF YUGOSLAVIA. CAN FITS WELL IN HAND WITH .43 INCH DENTING WHEN SQUEEZED WITH 73.7 NEWTONS OF FORCE. ASTONISHING. Although, CAN DID TAKE 23.78 NEWTONS OF FORCE TO CRACK. WHICH IS OFF THE INTERNATIONAL SCALE OF CRACKING BY 7. LACKLUSTER.

appearance: (3.2/3.8) IMAGINE YOU ARE DORTHY FROM THE WIZARD OF OZ AS YOU SKIP DOWN THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD. SUDDENLY THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD TURNS LIQUID. YOU, DORTHY, FALL INTO A RIVER OF YELLOW GOLDEN LIQUID. THIS IS A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE YOU GET WHEN POURING A CAN OF BIG FLATS INTO A PINT GLASS. AMEN.

bouquet: (-11.567/-12.22) AN ENCHANTING BLAST OF SMOOTH EXOTIC ROBUST SUDDLE AROMAS WHICH TICKLE THE BIPOLAR CELLS OF THE OLFACTORY SYSTEM IN A SENSUAL WAY. VERY SENSUAL WAY. SPECTACULAR.

taste: (.0001/.00015) THIS BEER, MUCH LIKE JACK SPARROWS COMPASS, GUIDES THE DRINKER TO THE TASTE AND DESTINATION OF WHICH HIS (THE DRINKERS) HEART DESIRES MOST. REWARDING.

mouthfeel: (12.32/10.112) IMAGINE THERE ARE MILLIONS OF LITTLE TINY ANTELOPES DANCING ON YOUR TOUNG. SUDDENLY, THE ANTELOPES METAMORPHOSE INTO UNICORNS. BUT ALAS, AS SOON AS THE ANTELOPES HAD BECAME UNICORNS, THE UNICORNS TRANSFORM TO PEGASI. 51 PEGASI TO BE EXACT. THESE PEGASI PASSIONATELY BREED WITH YOUR TASTE BUDS. EMACULATE.

final impressions: IN HIENSIGHT, I DEEPLY REGRET DRINKING ANY FLUID THAT IS NOT BIGFLATS. I AM NOW A NEW MAN. I LOVE THIS BEER AND THIS BEER LOVES ME THEREFORE VICARIOUSLY YOU LOVE it.

you can not beat it for the price. yay walgreens

Quite possibly the perfect beer. I see all you beer snobs out there turning your nose up at it because it's 50 cent beer, but the truth is, it has a great taste, is light and refreshing, and is perfect for those not wanting to spend their whole paycheck on Bud or Coors or Tecate or the more expensive craft beers. This is an every day beer, and although I can afford any beer I want, I choose this one.

I went to wal-greens the other day to buy some cold medicine and saw some great looking beer in a special looking can, with a very nice price. I never buy cheap beer; it’s like going to McDonald’s and expecting hot food, wishful thinking. Well I walked into the house with this untested brew. My wife said why did you buy that beer it’s cheap and you know you’re not going to drink that, I poured me a tall glass full of the Premium Beer BIG FLATS 1901. It was very tasty, a beer fit for a king. I suddenly found my maker it was BIG FLATS the Beer fit for me, man it was good.

4.8/5  rDev +89%

4.75/5  rDev +87%

4.52/5  rDev +78%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

--- Reviewed in context of the style and price point ($3.50 for 6pk) ---

This is a really good alternative to the big macro beers.
I think actually it's one of my favorite adjunct lagers right now.
It beats everything else at this price point.

No off corn smells or flavors.
It almost has the taste of a good Euro pilsner.
Really refreshing.

It's almost like Walgreens went to a craft brewer and asked them to make an adjunct lager -- and they just f**ing nailed it and showed all the big guns how it's done.

Cheers

4.07/5  rDev +60.2%

This super drinkable beer was 3.00 a six pack. More than worth it. I would I've payed 5 or 6 for this 4.5 percent six pack. My dad recommended it to me and he's 1 for 1 on beer recommendations. I want to try it on tap. It's a great beer to play beer pong with and to drink at the movies.

3.91/5  rDev +53.9%

A- Pours a very clear, light straw color with two fingers of white head.

S-Smells of grain and a little corn with some earthy hop notes.

T-Light, sweet grain with a little corn and nice crisp bitterness at the close.

M-Creamy and light bodied with a low to medium carbonation for the style.

D-Very easy drinking and more flavorful than it's more common style counterparts.

3.86/5  rDev +52%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.8/5  rDev +49.6%

Cheap American Adjunct Beer at its best!

A: It's yellow and has little bubbles, like beer.

S: Nothing bad. Smells like Cheap American Adjunct Beer.

T: Nice clean adjunct beer taste with no bad aftertaste.

M: Medium to high carbonation.

D: I'd buy it again for $2.99.

If you're in Walgreens, you're probably there to get a prescription filled, toothpaste or shampoo for the wife. Bland, boring shopping at its worst. As you're walking toward the register, you spot a display of Cheap American Adjunct Beer for only $2.99 a six-pack, which is about all you've got left after paying for the exciting tube of wart removal cream. Thank you Walgreens. Marketing genius and Cheap American Adjunct Beer at its best.

3.78/5  rDev +48.8%

Doesn't smell like a lot really...perhaps a bit of corn and faint hops. Nothing offensive nor spectacular there.

Taste is, for the style, actually rather good and clean. Body of the beer has a bit of corn going on, but it's paired with a bit of cereal grain and works pretty well for an adjunct lager. Small hop bitterness is at the back...corn and grain finish it out and it finishes very cleanly. Refreshing, actually.

If we're rating for style here, and we're supposed to, this is going to be pretty well rated because it's definitely superior to the big boys. I'm happy with it for the price. I can imagine it'd be really good on the lake or golfing.

3.76/5  rDev +48%

3.76/5  rDev +48%

Not bad all around really.Great beer to take Fishin,Work out in the Yard,Camping,buzz maintanence after all the good stuff is gone and nothing is open like Sunday mornings lol.It's 2.59 a sixer here.Ya just cant beat that price especially on a hot summer day.About the carbonation.I have bought some that was as described very bland on the carbonation almost damn flat but at the same time Like as I write this the Carbonation is very high and even more bite colder (Love that carb bite).It doesnt tend to have that sour aftertaste more of a sweet fruity aftertaste actually.Which can lend tothe "Maintanence factor as anyone knows that sour aftertaste we dont want it when we been drinking all weekend the sweet is much easier to handle.Think about it Wallgreens the Drug store has the PERFECT BUZZ MAINT BEER :)

This Beer also does well served in a ice cold mug yum yum yum

However I think that TRANSPORTATION could be a factor in the quality of the product once it reaches its point of sale.

Am I wrong?

Walgreens should handle with care lol and not transport just with everything else its a sensitive material

They could probably buy a couple of big rigs and send them across america promoting and delivering the Product and triple thier money wallgreens can affod it

*Slides Leonard a cold one since he gave it 5

3.75/5  rDev +47.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev +45.7%

Works for me, easy on the system

3.65/5  rDev +43.7%

After years in my youth drinking mostly lousy German beers (in Germany), I came to the conclusion that American Adjunct lager beers were more to my liking. And Big Flats 1901 hits a home run with me! $2.99/6-pack, Available at your corner Walgreens - how much better can it get?

Poured cold into my 11 oz. iced mug, I got 3" of foamy head, which settled down after a couple of minutes and left a satisfying lace. Smelled a bit of aluminum can, otherwise smelled like BEER.

Looked and tasted like a slightly above average American "light" lager beer: a bit sweet, with light grain, malt and alcohol flavors, a light hop bite at the back of the mouth and throat when swallowing. Quite refreshing while watching my favorite NFL team advance in the playoffs.

No aftertaste, enough alcohol to induce a "pleasant experience with happy ending" after 3 or 4 cans (I'm a big guy). I'd pound more but if consumed in quantity beer clashes with one of my medications.

Summary: If you enjoy American Adjunct Lager beers, this is a bargain for a pleasant brew.

3.64/5  rDev +43.3%

3.58/5  rDev +40.9%

This is above average for the generic styles of beer we know as American adjuncts and I graded as such. It is sold by Walgreens only and since my wife is a pharmacist there I figured I'd try it. It's good to buy from who helps puts the food on your table. It is better than bud light on 8/10 days for me. These folks bashing it are not taking it for what it really represent-a $3 6 pack. It is the best $3 6 pack I know. Great cheap mowing beer. Is it better than PBR-not quite to me but it is different .

3.55/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Best beer for price Ever