Big Flats 1901 | World Brews

Big Flats 1901Big Flats 1901

World Brews
wineryexchange.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed by Hop House Brews, La Crosse. WI and Rochester, NY for Walgreens Drug Stores.

Added by alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

2.6

2.87/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: This beer pours a light yellow color with a clean white head. Head retention is limited which is not uncommon for the style.

Smell: A clean fresh smell which is surprising given the price..

Taste: A little sweet with just a touch of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: A little watery but considering the price and the style it is OK.

Overall: A good solid beer for a college student or anyone in short of funds.

All in all I was impressed. I think it is funny the number of reviews that place the blame for buying this beer on some relative or friend who “knows nothing about beer”. I bought this knowing that I was buying a adjunct American lager.

2.87/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.84/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

this is a pretty drinkable cheap beer, esp for the summer time. much better than malt liquor and as good as other big brewery options (coors light, miller lite) for 1/2 the price. also, shandy mixer anyone?

a - clear, golden. expect this to come out about the same color, hue

s - not much here. take what you get.

t - corn mash, sweet finish. really not bad for a cheap-o beer. clean finish

m - not really anything special going on here. carbed like a comparable big box beer. goes down like sparkling water :^)

they waved hops over this stuff and called it beer. not bad tho for the price. try it.

2.82/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pretty average in color. Straw yellow. Gives a nice pour overall. Not much lacing, but some foam is nice. Carbonation is fairly heavy and definitely rustic.

Smell: Pretty clean overall. Mostly boiled or lightly baked grain. Pretty fresh overall.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I've tried this out of the can and poured into a glass and I definitely notice a difference. It comes across cleaner at the beginning but with a thicker, sour mouthfeel. In contrast, out of the can it tastes more metallic at the beginning and tastes and feels cleaner in the finish. Definitely carbonated all around though yet a bit flat in the finish.

Drinkability: I'm gonna give this some credit. Nothing terrible about it makes it untolerable.

Overall: Not quite as good as macro lagers, but better than the cheap versions.

2.82/5  rDev +8.5%

A recent gift in support of The CANQuest (TM)! Walgreen's has their own beer?!? I CAN dig it, CAN you? Many thanks to my CANtributor (who shall be unnamed unless he asks me to out him - ok, it's thagr81us) for his generous CANtribution to the madness. I keep thinking that with a good logo, I could get T-shirts made up for all of my fellow CANQuesters (TM), both active reviewers and frequent CANtributors, alike. Hmmm.

From the CAN: In addition to the unattached paddle wheel, it reads "Genuine Beer Brewed From Only the Choicest Hops" and "It's the water that makes it."

I wonder - if it is truly "genuine", does it come with a certificate of authenticity? I do not want some artificial or replica beer in my glass! Believe it or don't, we actually have standards here at JP24-7 Productions, LLC and I will not stand for crappy imitations of the real thing.

The Crack & Glug proceeded as normal with my centerline aggro pour producing two fingers' worth of foamy bone-white head. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had an immediate blast of cabbage followed by corn and silage. The more that I drink these AmeriCAN Adjunct Lagers, the more I shake my head in wonderment at what Prohibition has wrought. To think that for a whole long time, variants on this theme were all that were being made here in the U.S. = sad. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, about the standard for the style. Taste was on the bland side, giving credence to their claim about the water because it sure weren't those "choicest hops" that were "mak[ing] it." Finish was slightly dry, pretty bland, nothing major either way. It was not bad and I hear that it is fairly inexpensive at Walgreen's so I CANnot dun it too badly. Now, if CVS would just get THEIR own brand ...

2.82/5  rDev +8.5%

Not terrible. Much lighter in color than anything I've had that didn't state "Light" on the label. Flavor is typical corny adjunct-filled cheap lager, but with no harshness or weird off-flavors. Mild and inoffensive overall. It's drinkable enough for the price.

2.81/5  rDev +8.1%

A- A plae straw, perhaps a lemon color if you will. Two and a half finger head dissapates into a slick of a head.
S- Straw, corn, slightly chemical. Not terrible but nothing is really being offered.
T- Taste is grain, slight bit of chemical note. Plenty of what seems to be directionless sweetness.
M- Light bodied, aggressive carbonation. Standard.
D- For the price, it's not a terrible adjunct lager. I wouldn't regularly consume it, but it has it's merits and uses.

2.81/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

OK, Walgreens beer? After confirming that this stuff was not TERRIBLE, I decided to throw in for 299 pennies. From a 12 oz can with no visible freshness markings into my Sam Adams glass (thanks, guys!), it's a pale clear golden yellow color with vigorous carbonation streams fueling an initially fizzy one-finger head of whitish foam that settles to a thin cap and ring fueled by constant release from the nucleation sites. Beautiful clarity; I'll give it that. Nose is bready and a bit over-sweet with notes of grass. No off-scents noted. Tastes of sweet malt and corn/grain and malt liquor. No hops. Finishes on a watery, subtly dry, ever-so-slighly bitter note. Flavor profile is extremely unassuming and neutral; it's like drinking slightly malty carbonated water. In the mouth it's watery and a bit crisp, not as much as the lively carbonation would lead one to expect. It certainly goes down easily. Drinkability--well, this is straight up lawn mowing swill; easygoing and very neutral.

Overall: This is the kind of beer I'd give to people who say they hate beer. It's the closest thing you can get to non-beer while remaining in the "4-5% ABV American adjunct lager" category. And, at 2.99 a sixer, you really can't go wrong. Not something I'd seek out again, but no worse or better than the average big-label adjunct lager out there.

2.8/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The can itself doesn't tell much more than that it's a Lager Beer brewed by Hop House Brews (La Crosse, WI or Rochester, NY). A quick internet search told me that it was a 50 cent a can beer from Walgreens. Needless to say, my expectations weren't high. I decided to give it a fair chance nonetheless.

I poured it into a standard pint glass. What I saw was a clear golden colored beer, topped with a white head that dissipated (too) quickly. The amount of bubbles told me that it was decently carbonated.

Sweet malts dominated the smell, at the cost of the hops. It reminded me of wheat beers.

The taste was watery, and followed the beer's scent: sweet malts, and not a lot else. Only a slight amount of bitter hops. It left an aftertaste that was unpleasant and sour.

The feeling was a bit course, but still refreshing, and the beer was decently carbonated.

Overall this is not a beer I would enjoy on a Sunday afternoon. It's too watery and too malty for that. However, it's great for a warm day, with some spicy food, and its low price makes it a great choice for parties as well. Just keep drinking to avoid the unpleasant aftertaste!

2.79/5  rDev +7.3%

Had to try a sixer. At $2.99 it was worth a shot. It looks pretty nice for the style - clear golden yellow with a two-finger, white head of bubbly foam. It had very little aroma at all. Faint grains and caramel. Tasted of grains, sweet caramel and bread with a very light spice bitterness. Crisp, sharp and light bodied. A very sessionable brew. This actually wasn't half bad. It was worth trying.

2.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Served in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for allowing me to have a Walgreens beer

This beer is as pale as pale straw can get without looking like hard water. There is a really nice bone white foam on the surface that does lend itself to the idea of being attractive, while still requiring the bag over its face. The smell is the typical sick sweet corn and rice smell that many have become accustomed to in an AAL. The taste on this one isn't bad, but it isn't good. There is the corn and sweet malt flavor, but it is backed by a metallic taste that I must admit is not great. The beer can be smooth but there's that overall flavor and experience that says I just don't feel like drinking this. To this beer's credit I've had so much worse in this style. This is drinkable, but I really wouldn't want to.

2.77/5  rDev +6.5%

I had to go down to FL to enjoy this gem. Mom surprised me with a sixer of this Walgreen's special. $3.00 for a sixer?! I'm down! This is one of the many reasons why I get frustrated with the great state of Pennsylvania. Poured from a can (I think it's only available in a can; it's THAT freakin' classy) in to a standard pint glass. I'll describe the color using the knowledge I acquired while attending a highly acclaimed art university. It was yellow. Smell can be described as beer. No need for fancy adjectives here. The taste...not that bad! Seriously, I thought this was going to be the worst beer in the world (this honor goes to Natural Light). It actually tastes pretty good for the style. I'd choose a PBR, High Life or Lionshead over the Big Flats but it can't be beat for the price. This would have been the beer of choice during my college years, which weren't that long ago. Easy to chug if you're playing beer pong and not offensive at all. Must be served and consumed ice cold.

2.76/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Light yellow but somehow a decent hue. Small white head settles down quickly to a steady skim. Lots of bubbles rising relaxedly from all over. Very crystal clear. Usual macro lager look with above average lacing.

S: Cereal grain, soft malty sweetness. No real hops noticed. Reasonably okay, but way too faint.

T: Mix of grainy base & a light bit of malt sweetness. Decently balancing hop bitterness. Just a hint of medicinal character. Adjunctness kept to a minimum. Quite simple in that there are just a few main notes and no nuance or accent notes. Quite fair for depth though. Stays decent as it warms.

M: Medium-light body, plentiful but soft, cushiony, & mouthfilling carbonation. Very neutral & wet finish.

D: Basic beer. Not great. Not bad. Crazy low price point. Compares very well to big name swill. Skip the stoopid ads and just make beer.

2.76/5  rDev +6.2%

Thing is, it's better than natty ice or your other cheap lagers and tastes just as good or better. When I want a cheap beer, it's big flats or bust.

2.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Alright... I'm broke and have been for a while. Not too long ago I came across some weird beer I've never heard of while walking through Walgreens one night--Big Flats. Its regular price is $3.75, but it was on sale for about 3 bucks--for a six pack. It seems like it's always on sale, by the way--just bought a six-pack for $3.33. Either way, I was laughing, thinking... man, less than four bucks for a six-pack? That stuff must suck. And I bet it's a Walgreens brand to top it off, heh. But... I bought it anyway, I really wanted some beer (and some alcohol). I previously did search the Web for it, and resorted to BeerAdvocate, where several people have said that they found the beer at their local Walgreens.

This review is actually of my second or third time buying this beer. But this is no ordinary review--the beer has an odd sourness to it, which I find unpleasant (and the main downfall of this beer), so I decided to try it after taking half of a Miracle Fruit tablet. Long story short, Miracle Fruit is the berry from the plant species Synsepalum dulcificum. The fruit contains a chemical that--when it coats the tongue--causes acidic (in other words: bitter and sour) foods and drinks to taste sweet. It's not a drug; it simply connects with the acidity-sensing taste buds on the tongue and causes them to send a different signals to the brain.

I tried Miracle Fruit before with a Guinness for the hell of it, and I'll be damned if that didn't take away every last bit of bitterness that the beer had! It almost tasted like a chocolate milkshake. So I figured, why not see if I can make this decent-but-sour cheap beer decent? It'd be interesting. So I did... and here are the results.

Appearance: Pours a very, very light (and unattractive) perfectly clear straw color with relatively few, extremely tiny carbonation bubbles. The liquid itself, when examined, is actually quite ugly. The beer produces a nice, fluffy, surprisingly-long-lasting head--far bigger than I would have expected, and its lacing lasts, sticking literally all over the glass. The head is long gone by the time the entire 12oz is drank (hell, even before half is gone at my rate of drinking), but unlike some macro lagers, it at least sticks around for a couple minutes. Although the liquid beer looks pretty pathetic, the nice head and heavy lacing score it a few points. The longevity of the head is surprising even compared to some of the biggest brand macro lagers.

Aroma: Don't expect much here; it has the smell of a typical cheap American macro lager. But still, it's actually not offensive and has a bit more of a smell to it than some of the "big" ones. I know I've smelled some beers that smell horrible; this is actually not one of them. But then, it's not one of those amazing smelling beers that makes your mouth water either. It smells like a beer at least, so it gets a point or two for that.

Taste: Now, the taste. Normally, this beer tastes... well, decent, if it wasn't for that unappealing, strange sourness that just reminds me, "this stuff could be so much better..." I took a few sips and the sourness was actually there, but it didn't seem quite as strong as I remembered; maybe it was just the batch, or the fact that I'm getting somewhat used to it, having bought a few six-packs so far. Either way, I popped half of a Miracle Fruit tablet in my mouth, swished it around, chewed it, and thoroughly coated my tongue with it. I took another few sips. No sourness, the beer is actually very decent! The very little bitterness the beer had (negligible) is gone, as is all of the sourness. This really is a miracle... a $3.33 six-pack is actually somewhat of a pleasure to drink after taking the Miracle Fruit tablet. Amazing. Note that with that sourness, I would probably rate the taste as just below average (2.5).

Mouthfeel: Well, what can I say? A somewhat substandard-feeling macro beer. Its low carbonation makes it feel a little weak on the tongue even compared to the big beers. But come on, look at the price... just over (and sometimes exactly, depending on the sale) 3 bucks.

With the sourness this beer has, I would give it an overall rating of 2.5, but after it's removed by the Miracle Fruit I would say it's average for a decent beer of the style.

For anyone interested in the Miracle Fruit... here are some links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum - Wikipedia article
http://mberry.us/ - I got my Miracle Fruit tablets from here. They also sell plants, but they're expensive...

Big Flats 1901 from World Brews