Big Flats 1901 | World Brews

Big Flats 1901Big Flats 1901

World Brews
California, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed by Hop House Brews, La Crosse. WI and Rochester, NY for Walgreens Drug Stores.

Added by alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

2.6

Reviews: 154 | Ratings: 315
2.36/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

$3.99 at Walgreen's. Never heard of it before.

A - Very light straw color. Very clear and has a full thick head that looks like it is lacing as it falls.

S - Light grain sweetness. Smells very clean.

T - Cloying sweetness up front. But that fades. Somewhat of a sour or stale like flavor. After that it finishes rather clean.

M - Some creaminess. Strong carbonation. Typical american lager thinness.

Overall - Well, it is like a typical mega brew, but it does have a bit more character. Not sure if I like the character or not, but worth a shot if you are looking to pound some American macro brews.

2.56/5  rDev -1.5%

12 oz can, poured into a snifter.

Have to admit, if you pour this one into a fancy glass it looks pretty enticing. The golden straw color matches well with the absolute brilliancy, and the head is pretty nice while it lasts.

The nose is almost nonexistent, save for a slight grainy wisp. And remember, this is sniffing from a snifter, so pretty dissapointing aroma overall.

Taste is ok, to be honest. Not as bad as some of the other macro adjunct lagers. It's one-dimentional, and mostly bubbles on your tounge. The best thing it has going for it is that it isn't an offensive taste. Bland, but not insipid. Crisp.

Mouthfeel: pretty clean.

Drinkability: may surpass even the mighty bud light in this catagory.

I wouldn't go out and buy this, but I have to admit, it's ok for 50 cents a can.

1.99/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Ahhh Big Flats...

Appearance-
Pale yellow, one finger white large bubble head.

Smell-
Very slight standard lager smell, really have to sniff to get at it.

Taste-
Like impoverished college beer, light sour hop, bready finish.

Mouthfeel-
Sharply carbonated, cleanses the pallet.

Overall-
If you are buying this beer, it is either out of morbid curiosity... or you aren't looking to be tasting for subtle hints of flavor.

Along with many on this site, I am a beer snob. With this beer consider the price when you review it. As long as it's cold, I find it to be on par if not better than High Life, Corona, Lone Star and other lagers yet costs about half, sometimes less. I'm giving it 3.0 eh, but it deserves better.

2.87/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: This beer pours a light yellow color with a clean white head. Head retention is limited which is not uncommon for the style.

Smell: A clean fresh smell which is surprising given the price..

Taste: A little sweet with just a touch of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: A little watery but considering the price and the style it is OK.

Overall: A good solid beer for a college student or anyone in short of funds.

All in all I was impressed. I think it is funny the number of reviews that place the blame for buying this beer on some relative or friend who “knows nothing about beer”. I bought this knowing that I was buying a adjunct American lager.

3.2/5  rDev +23.1%

A: Light straw color with two fingers of white head. Pours a clear, thinly-hued, light straw body. A 2 to 3 finger puffy and bubbly white head initially sits on top of the beer but reduces to just a small ring around the glass.

S: Standard grain and corn is about it. Faint (understatement) spicy and earthy hops.

T: Very light and mild taste. Not a whole heck of a lot to it. Grains, corn, and spicy hops sum up the flavor very well in my opinion. Very watery/dry finish to this beer with a hint of bitterness.

M: Low bodied with medium carbonation. It's crisp and refreshing.

D: I didn't have a problem putting one down within a minute or too. The lack of a taste makes it really easy to drink. I'd challenge someone who doesn't like beer to drink one of these because I don't think they'd be able to say it's disgusting. I could see stashing a few of these away in the fridge for a warm summer day.

One thumb up. It's not a bad beer by any means. It's not something you'd seek out, but if you were at Walgreens or in the general area, why not pick it up? You won't be disappointed. I'd drink this over Bud, Miller, or Coors.

2.37/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Clear gold pours a thick white head and has a bit of linger.

S: Musky maltiness dominates any other notes

T: Old malt with a muskiness that finishes slightly bitter.

M: Light body with a surprisingly good amount of carbonation.

This beer is a shot in the dark. I can't say that I enjoy this beer, but I do like the concept. No advertising, $2.99 for a 6 pack of cans. It doesn't make it taste any better, but it does offer something that tastes exactly the same as bud heavy for 1/2 the price. It'll be nice on a hot summer day here in Houston.

To the point... at $2.99 +tax this beer is at the top of the American Adjunct Beer style. The price of this beer says more about the greed of big name brand breweries that have been selling beer that is of lower quality than this stuff. The only downside about this brew is a sweet aftertaste that gets stronger at the finish.

Start: sweet corn upfront
During: Sweet corn fades with more bread
Finish: more of the same.

Overall: Consistency is an issue that makes long term drinkability a problem. The sweetness really builds up on you and makes it hard to have anymore...still better than a buttwiper.

2.48/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bought a six pack of this from walgreens to try becuase hey, its $2.99.

A- golden yellow with 2 fingers of white foamy head, looks like any other macro lager, meh..
S- Very faint grainy scent as well as a corn like smell
T- Sweet taste that isn't half bad, I can taste the alcohol presence just a bit, too. Its crisp and simple.
M- light and carbonated, like a beer-spritzer
D- not half bad for what it is, given the price and others of the style tat it stands up against it is pretty good, and easy drinkingto boot.

Appearance: Light yellow, medium white head.
Aroma: Not much aroma.
Flavor: Not much flavor, thin highly carbonated. Light bodied, non-hoppy.
Overall: Very light, very plain domestic beer taste. This beer is exclusive to Walgreen's. I bought the 6 pack for $1.99. Not a terrible taste, but it left a slight chemical-like head ache.

2.28/5  rDev -12.3%

Wanted the can for my collection, so here goes:

One cannot expect much from a $3 Sixer, but I'm going to rate this in comparison with other American Adjuncts. Clearly this will not stand up with quality microbrews and the like.

A- Very pale and transparent yellow color. Seems to be quite a bit of carbonation. 2 finger head, doesn't pop as much as some and seems to be sticking around for the time being.

S- Kind of metallic on the nose. Smells kind of like an ice beer.

T- Kind of sour and metallic. Has little depth, but the primary flavor is kind of like a mix of non sweet apple juice and prune juice. Reminds me of a Miller lite.

M-Thin and bubbly.

O- This might taste better after a few, but that's more or less the best I can say for it. It's not the most offensive thing I've tasted, but I wouldn't opt for this unless I was very hard up.

2.17/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured from 12 oz. can into pint glass.

A: Pale golden in color. Strong pour creates thick head that is gone in a moment to barely a trace of head.

S: Adjunct smell. Corn, grains, light malt.

T: I don't know, kinda what you'd expect, tastes like beer that I sipped from my dad when I was young. The one noticable bad taste was metallic, tasted like blood.

M: Light, water-like.

O: I had the same reaction as others when I saw it. "Walgreens generic brand beer? For $2.99? I gotta try it." It's just that, a novelty.

Took this on recent camping weekend where selection was PBR, High Life and Schlitz. All were superior to this, and seriously they are all only pennies more in price. Not worth it.

2.53/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Drank from 12oz. can, so I have given an average 3.0 appearance rating.

Corny smell. Very fizzy and slightly metallic with a corn/grain aftertaste. Not much flavor other than the lingering metallic graininess. Tastes cheap, and it is.

I'd rather have a Pabst Blue Ribbon.

3.13/5  rDev +20.4%

I must say off the bat that this beer cost me $2.50 for a six pack.

Appearance - So, from the look of this beer, you would think it would hold up to other American lagers. Pours a clear, clear, clear golden body. Lots of bubbles. A nice 2 inch head that disappears way to fast. the lacing, on the other hand, is quite nice.

Smell - Smells pretty sweet actually. Much more sweet than I thought it would. I also get some grassy and earthy notes popping through.

Taste - I'll be honest. I'm not looking forward to this... It's still a bit sweet and the earthy tones definitely come through on the taste. Eh.

Mouthfeel - This beer is pretty carbonated, as is MOST of the American lagers on the shelves. It coats the palate pretty nicely.

Overall - I'm actually really surprised with this beer. The fact that it taste pretty good and costs sooo little just blows me away. I might actually buy this again, but only if I have a few bucks and want a substantial amount of beer.

1.36/5  rDev -47.7%

F / 1.45
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 3 | drink: 1.5

12oz can, bought at Walgreen's in Snellville GA @ $3.49 a
6pk. Yes its my birthday today so I said to myself, "Wtf,
might as well"! States that this beer is brewed by
"Brewmasters Choice". Honestly I'd rather trust a product
clearly labeled as a Genesee brew than something Ive
never, ever, ever heard of. Served into my Fischers .4l
tulip (Oh yeeeaaa!!)

> Pours strait up piss color, with a fizzy white 1/2 finger
> head that dissipates immediately.
> Smells like a fart honestly... Smells like a stew of
> rotten veggies soaked in lingering fart residue, not
> regular fart, but a foul intoxicating fart from a illegal immagrant who just finished off 2 1/2lbs of burritos and guacamole at a soccer game spiked with rotten olives. I honestly have never smelled a beer like this. I'm wondering if a employee farted in this can before the top was slammed on it.

Now im dreading tasting this stuff. Holy cow! Tastes like water with a punch of rotten veggies, closely following the horrid nose. A slight touch of goat piss, a wee bit of rotten corn husks, and something else thats definatly beyond freshness date.
> The mouthfeel is decent for a adjunct brew, kinda fizzy
> with medium carbonation goin on.
> Overall, if your homeless and looking for something to
> help you throw up that 3 week old burrito you found in
> that Taco Bell dumpster this beer is for you. Otherwise
> stay away from this beer, its only for the true pennyless
> drunk looking for something to keep him/her company while
> passing out under the I285/Sandy Springs bridge. Cheers!
> Serving type: can
> Originally Reviewed on: 12-13-2010 22:56:11 Re-Reviewed on January 2nd 2011 *Note* this is a constructive and honest review. I had to re-review it because apparently alot of cry-babys that surf this site and were horribly offended.. LOL Pfffft!

4.52/5  rDev +73.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

--- Reviewed in context of the style and price point ($3.50 for 6pk) ---

This is a really good alternative to the big macro beers.
I think actually it's one of my favorite adjunct lagers right now.
It beats everything else at this price point.

No off corn smells or flavors.
It almost has the taste of a good Euro pilsner.
Really refreshing.

It's almost like Walgreens went to a craft brewer and asked them to make an adjunct lager -- and they just f**ing nailed it and showed all the big guns how it's done.

Cheers

2.75/5  rDev +5.8%

i got a six pack of these from walgreen's for $2.99. maybe the cheapest six pack i have ever bought. because this is cheap drug store beer, i feel it would be not right to pour it into a glass. so it's right out of the can for me. the can looks cool enough, it's hard to smell it, being it's in the can, and it tastes like corn malt/piss beer. this is a good hungover morning beer. for the price it's not as gross as i was expecting.

3.36/5  rDev +29.2%

From a can poured into a glass mug.

A- Golden-orange color. A lot darker than I was expecting. Big head that fizzles away to a little ring. No lacing.

S- Mostly malts, sweet, grainy. No hop scent.

T- Tastes mostly of malts and some very overcooked veggies. Faint alcohol taste. Zero hops. Aftertaste is pure malts.

M- It was flat yet mysteriously carbonated on the tongue at the same time. Heavy, cloying.

O- Overall, this beer was OK, better than most. Very malt heavy. If it had some hops to balance it out, it would be a great beer.

2.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Found this one at the local Walgreens. $2.99 for a six pack of cans. Poured into a pint glass

A: Very light, straw yellow in color. Small head.

S: Standard adjunct lager. Not much to smell.

T: Actually, not that bad. Somewhat sweet, malty finish. A lot better than I expected.

M: Thin. Somewhat watery.

D: A very easy drinking beer. I don't know how many I'd actually want to have in one session, but I'm sure someone would like to pound a bunch of these.

Overall: Not a horrible beer, but not good. You get what you pay for. For $2.99, I didn't expect much, and that's what I got.

1.36/5  rDev -47.7%

Appearance - average to good , head drops fast

Smell - mild sweet

Taste- corn, veggie, mild after taste a little sour not smooth

Mouthfeel- mostly after taste is gross

Overall - disappointing, watery bland with weird astringistey.

6 pack @ walgreens are 2.99 ---forget it. Natural light is much better
The brewer should be embarrassed for this contract brew.

2.25/5  rDev -13.5%

There's barely any flavor, but what little there is...well, it's not all bad. If the object of the game is simply getting drunk on the cheap (or buzz-maintenance after drinking much better beers), then here you go.

3.31/5  rDev +27.3%

Like many others, I picked this up at Walgreens at $3.49 for a six-pack. I was going to pick up a few beers and didn't really feel like going anywhere else, so why not, I thought to myself. I wasn't expecting much at all, and since my normal beer drinking is done toward the low end (think Pabst, Schlitz, Schaefer, etc.), I couldn't see myself being too disappointed. I wasn't.

Big Flats 1901 is what I would call a very drinkable beer, a good yard work beer that works equally well washing down spicy Indian food or a greasy pizza (two pairings I've sampled at this point). Despite what some here have to say about it (beer snobs unite at this point, it's ok, I've been referred to as such due to my disdain for Bud Select), it really isn't bad.

Color is the usual macro very light straw yellow. There isn't much aroma other than from corn and the can. It pours a decent two-finger head and leaves a nice lacing as you drink it down (for my samplings I used a New Belgium globe glass). As for taste, I'm just going to say that it tastes good (grainy malt, slightly sweet with just enough hops to notice) and that it goes down smooth with little to no aftertaste. It's watery, but that's not a bad thing in this case (not every beer needs to be an oatmeal stout).

Really, for the price, it's not bad. I'd rather drink this at $3.50 for a six pack than any of the big macro-brewery's mainstream options at a couple of dollars more. It's exceptionally drinkable, and good enough that I've bought four more six packs since my initial purchase. It does the job, and frankly, I do prefer it to Pabst.

1.66/5  rDev -36.2%

They say an adventurous spirit is a way to know you're alive. So the idea of trying a beer that priced as $3.50 a six-pack struck me as a "what-the-Hell" kind of thing to try.
Well...
It's better than bud.

1.21/5  rDev -53.5%

Purchased a 6-pack for $2.99 at Walgreens. There is no freshness date on the cans, which may explain my very poor review.

A - Extremely translucent with medium carbonation; it looks like an "ultra light" beer. No head whatsoever, even with an aggressive pour.

S - Smells skunked with strong hints of rotten cabbage. I've never smelled a beer this offensive in my life.

T - Absolutely horrendous. The rotten cabbage odor carries into the flavor -- I couldn't finish this beer.

M - Very watery and flat.

Personally, I've never tasted a beer this repulsive in my life. Perhaps the beer was 2-3 years past expiration, but I'm still going to rate it based on my experience with the particular 6-pack I purchased. AVOID.

3.22/5  rDev +23.8%

Approx. $3.00 for a six-pack at Walgreens, ice cold from Walgreens' high-tech beverage rack.

Looks good, looks like it might be kind of tasty and might give me a good buzz.

Smells OK -- kind of like Old Milwaukee.

Tastes OK -- kind of like Old Milwaukee, with a slighly sour aftertaste.

Medium-low carbonation.

Overall, really OK, especially given the mind-blowing low price. Don't let the budget pricetag fool you -- Big Flats 1901 is a decent adjunct lager.

Big Flats 1901 from World Brews