Big Flats 1901 | World Brews

Big Flats 1901Big Flats 1901

World Brews
wineryexchange.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed by Hop House Brews, La Crosse. WI and Rochester, NY for Walgreens Drug Stores.

Added by alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

2.6

Appearance: Clear medium golden in color, with a moderate, dense and persistent white head. Clouds of fat bubbles race to the surface. The lacing is thick and broken.

Aroma; Clean pale malt, some faint hops, cooked vegetables, and a faint mustiness.

Taste: Opens with some pale malt, then a wave of metallic hops. Toward the end of the taste, the alcohol s quite distinct, which is odd, considering that this beer is only 4.5% ABV. In taste, it is actually quite reminiscent of a malt liquor, although with considerably less alcohol.

Mouth feel: Smooth and soft, a bit thin.

Drinkability/notes: At $2.99 for a six-pack, it really not that bad. If consumed quite cold on a hot summer day, it really is pleasant.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce pop-top aluminum can, served in a standard pint Pilsener glass.

2.5/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.01/5  rDev -22.7%

2.18/5  rDev -16.2%

Pale lemon colored lager. Some visible bubbles. Two finger white head forms than recedes to a minimal froth. Very little lacing.

Smell of bread grains and corn. Some skunk.

Some malt flavor with a week-old, bread-like flavor. Rough corn flavor which tastes like sour grits. Underlying metallic character, I imagine that liquid silver tastes something like this. Finish is sour. Not enjoyable.

Lighter consistency but not watery. Descent carbonation. Gritty texture throughout. Its feels as if pieces of metal are sticking to the back of my tongue with each sip.

I would recommend avoiding this stuff. Try not to be temped by the $2.99 price for a six pack if you shop at Walgreens. Not the worst beer I have ever tried but there are plenty better beers if you are looking for something cheap.

3.05/5  rDev +17.3%

I actually had this beer on my wants for no good reason except that I liked the look of the can. BeerFMAndy humored me, and sent one down is his great box of WI brews. Thanks!

Can poured into a pint glass. Pours a crystal-clear pale gold with a thin white head capping it off. This pops and fizzles away to nothing quickly. No lace left behind. The nose is slightly skunky, with scents of lemon cleaner and musty hay. The mouth is very bubbly and crisp, albeit thin. Not unexpected though. There actually is a small amount of flavor here, some buttered corn, grass, with a sweet finish. I've had worse Adjunct Lagers for sure. I didn't hate this. In fact, I could see myself drinking this again.

2.25/5  rDev -13.5%

2.91/5  rDev +11.9%

Less than 4 bucks for a sixer?!?!? How can I go wrong?

A: Crystal Clear, and light yellow. A soft white head, that dissipates rather quickly.

S: Slightly sweet, perhaps a touch of skunk and metal, or maybe just a hint of vegetable.

T: Taste follows smell, simple, slightly sweet, partly malty. perhaps a touch of metal in the finish. But for less than a buck a beer, it really isn't as bad as a lot of other AAL's I have had.

M: Light in body, fairly high in carbonation, and clean finish.

D: For the price, it isn't too bad, but it is certainly not anything I am going to stock regularly. Average at best.

2.81/5  rDev +8.1%

A- A plae straw, perhaps a lemon color if you will. Two and a half finger head dissapates into a slick of a head.
S- Straw, corn, slightly chemical. Not terrible but nothing is really being offered.
T- Taste is grain, slight bit of chemical note. Plenty of what seems to be directionless sweetness.
M- Light bodied, aggressive carbonation. Standard.
D- For the price, it's not a terrible adjunct lager. I wouldn't regularly consume it, but it has it's merits and uses.

2.24/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pale, clear, piss-yellow with a big head, this dirt-cheap canned lager is malty and sweet upon initial tasting.

Sweet corn flavor, with a hint of hops at the finish. Nothing remarkable or unique here, but for the price ($2.99 a 6-pack at Walgreen's), this one's a decent bargain for a party or to share with friends.

Incidentally, all of my less-than-picky non-craft drinking friends enjoyed this!

2.64/5  rDev +1.5%

I was curious since the price of the 6-pack was $2.99!! i had to try it.

A pale white-gold color with a standard but decent high white head that actually had slow dissipation leaving a decent amount of stuff around.

A basic adjunct lager aroma with dry corn, wheat, light and sweet-bready malt but with an unpleasent perm-treatment chemmy smell.

The flavor is pretty clean as it states on the can: "It's the water that makes it"...and it's plenty watery feel and flavor but with all of the right aspects like crispy malt and musty yeastie backdrop. there is nothing "off' in the flavor so it's really not a bad taste for the price.

don't be affraid to drink this one straight from the can!

2.67/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.62/5  rDev +0.8%

Okay, yeah, I got this at Walgreens because it is cheap and I'm trying to pay off my credit card bills for the springtime so I can run them up again in the summer. So I'm drinking Big Flats. Ain't life grand?

Seriously pale yellow pee color. Big white 'blink and you'll miss it' head. Sweet, mellow corn malt nose. Taste is what you think it is; bland, blah, and belch.

For what it is, it is fine. None of the Coors Light face melting tastelessness, the High Life sawdust in the mouth the next morning, or Colt .45 touch of throwup in the mouth with every sip. Just bland, yellow, cheap, and a slight tiring buzz. Looking forward to mowing some lawns with this in the summer.

2.4/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12 oz. can stolen from a friend's fridge. Think he said he got it at Walgreen's but then I didn't think any Walgreen's in San Diego sold beer. Perhaps the times they are a changin'. Poured into a piint glass alongside a partially finished reference PBR glass. Big Flats pours a bit deeper, say a deep straw in color. A thin cap flitters away rather swiftly.

Aroma is full and a bit sweet with nondescript grainy sweet notes and lacking much of a yeast or hop profile. Offers a touch of citrus on the flavor which is otherwise a bit rough around the edges like the aroma. Tough of spice/citrus again though the utter lack of carbonation is not helping here.

Body leaves a bit to be desired as well, again largely due to the lack of carbonation. Interestingly this beer does in a way resemble Simpler Times from Trader Joe's and both find thier source in LaCrosse, WI. The Simpler Times(Lager) has a bit more finesse and carbonation however. In the end a bit rough.

2.26/5  rDev -13.1%

Saw a massive 8ftL x 8ftW x 5ftH display of this at Walgreens in Goose Creek, SC. I first thought it was soda or canned water, because of the name, then I saw it was actually a beer. I then noticed the $3 price tag for a 6er of it, so I just had to try it. Am I sorry that I did? Not at all. Will I buy it again? Possibly, for a fishing trip or for beer moochers that come over. This is easily the palest straw color I've seen on a beer, almost like water. Smell was skunky, alcoholy, and corn chips. Taste was more corn chippy and had a very faint taste of hops. In all actuality though, the taste faded away so fast, you couldn't really dwell and think about it. Overall, not a beer to go out of your way to get, but it might be good to pawn off on others.

2.25/5  rDev -13.5%

2.75/5  rDev +5.8%

1.5/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Proof that the words "good" and "cheap" sometimes don't belong in the same sentence.

I can see how something likes this gets started. A major chain contracts for a house brand to sell at a low price and wants it to be just good enough to develop a following. Missed opportunity here, this stuff just doesn't cut it. Very light, watery brew that manages to be thin bodied yet medium flavored. Unfortunately the sweetish flavor isn't very good and makes finishing one a chore.

The appeal of this beer is it's cheap price but if they cut that low price by half I still wouldn't buy it again.

1.6/5  rDev -38.5%

Big Flats 1901 pours a yellow color with a white head from a twelve ounce can. The aroma has some generic beer like thing going on. The flavor is bad, industrial chemical like flavors dominate, a touch of corn or malt or something is along for the ride. Usually I'm fairly generous when reviewing adjunct lagers, but this one is among the truly bad swill beers.

2.64/5  rDev +1.5%

A - Clear vivid yellow with a decent little head (for the style at least). Darker yellow than most adjunct lagers.

S - Fruity esters and musty grain husk. Smells cheap.

T - Overripe fruit, and not in a good way. Tastes like rotten apples and bananas that have been left to ferment. Actually not too bad.... it's growing on me.

M - LIght and crisp. Thirst quenching.

Honestly, the rotten fruit aspect isn't really good, but at least it is pretty flavorful compared to some macros that taste like carbonated water. Not bad for the bottom of the barrel price.

My grandmother, who knows nothing about beer or what I would think makes a good beer, was nice enough to buy a can for me out of the blue. She just gave this to me one day and told me she picked it up for me because she knows I like beer and like trying all different types and kinds of beers. I certainly appreciate the thought, thanks grandma! Poured into my mug, this beer is a clear, fairly light to medium golden color. The fluffy white head was a good inch thick when poured, eventually settling to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass after a few sips with bits of film cover on the surface of the beer here and there. Lots of bubbles rising up to the top of the mug. Had a grainy aroma, typical for this style. Not an offensive aroma, just kind of meh. Has a grainy flavor with some caramel sweetness and a bread like quality as well. No bitter metallic shit taste here like I have experienced with some beers of this style, and certainly more flavor overall than a lot of beers I have had of this style. Maybe just a tiny hint of hop bitterness at on the very back end. Or maybe not. I could see this being most enjoyable to drink outside in July when it is 90 degrees out and you pull one of these out of the cooler. Not a bad beer, one of the more enjoyable ones I have had of this style. Has a crisp, light bodied mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. Not too bad here, but nothing I'd go out of my way to drink again.

Eric