Big Flats 1901 | World Brews

Big Flats 1901Big Flats 1901

World Brews
wineryexchange.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed by Hop House Brews, La Crosse. WI and Rochester, NY for Walgreens Drug Stores.

Added by alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

Liked:
2.54/5
Alströms:

2.77/5  rDev +9.1%

I had to go down to FL to enjoy this gem. Mom surprised me with a sixer of this Walgreen's special. $3.00 for a sixer?! I'm down! This is one of the many reasons why I get frustrated with the great state of Pennsylvania. Poured from a can (I think it's only available in a can; it's THAT freakin' classy) in to a standard pint glass. I'll describe the color using the knowledge I acquired while attending a highly acclaimed art university. It was yellow. Smell can be described as beer. No need for fancy adjectives here. The taste...not that bad! Seriously, I thought this was going to be the worst beer in the world (this honor goes to Natural Light). It actually tastes pretty good for the style. I'd choose a PBR, High Life or Lionshead over the Big Flats but it can't be beat for the price. This would have been the beer of choice during my college years, which weren't that long ago. Easy to chug if you're playing beer pong and not offensive at all. Must be served and consumed ice cold.

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%

My grandmother, who knows nothing about beer or what I would think makes a good beer, was nice enough to buy a can for me out of the blue. She just gave this to me one day and told me she picked it up for me because she knows I like beer and like trying all different types and kinds of beers. I certainly appreciate the thought, thanks grandma! Poured into my mug, this beer is a clear, fairly light to medium golden color. The fluffy white head was a good inch thick when poured, eventually settling to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass after a few sips with bits of film cover on the surface of the beer here and there. Lots of bubbles rising up to the top of the mug. Had a grainy aroma, typical for this style. Not an offensive aroma, just kind of meh. Has a grainy flavor with some caramel sweetness and a bread like quality as well. No bitter metallic shit taste here like I have experienced with some beers of this style, and certainly more flavor overall than a lot of beers I have had of this style. Maybe just a tiny hint of hop bitterness at on the very back end. Or maybe not. I could see this being most enjoyable to drink outside in July when it is 90 degrees out and you pull one of these out of the cooler. Not a bad beer, one of the more enjoyable ones I have had of this style. Has a crisp, light bodied mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. Not too bad here, but nothing I'd go out of my way to drink again.

Eric

2.43/5  rDev -4.3%

Picked up at a Walgreens for $3/6-pack. Worthy a try? Probably not but whatever. I poured from the can into a pint glass, it's a clear pale yellow but with a pretty big head. It receded quickly with not much lacing.

The aroma is weak, grassy and not much to it. Nothing terrible, just nothing.

The taste is pretty weak as well but surprisingly refreshing.

Honestly I think it's better than the BMC guys. Will have to try side by side at some point.

2.75/5  rDev +8.3%

2.79/5  rDev +9.8%

Had to try a sixer. At $2.99 it was worth a shot. It looks pretty nice for the style - clear golden yellow with a two-finger, white head of bubbly foam. It had very little aroma at all. Faint grains and caramel. Tasted of grains, sweet caramel and bread with a very light spice bitterness. Crisp, sharp and light bodied. A very sessionable brew. This actually wasn't half bad. It was worth trying.

3.05/5  rDev +20.1%

12oz can served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear bright yellow with a decent sized white head that thinned leaving a few spots of lacing.

S - grainy aroma, smells pretty typical for the style.

T - once again it's typical for the style, grainy and somewhat sweet with no real bitterness to it.

F - light to medium bodied with a crisp feel.

O - very much typical for the style at a lower price than BMC, PBR, Shlitz or Schaefer

1.5/5  rDev -40.9%

2.04/5  rDev -19.7%

Appearance - pour a flat yellow/straw color. Impressive snowy head of two fingers strong. Holds up pretty nicely and has a decent creamy look to it as it fades back.

Aroma - husky grain, standard macro sniff.

Taste - grain, slightly sweet, not much depth. The swallow and finish fizzle, no development to be had. From the land of hops, where's the love? Somewhat Miller-ish, which could mean there should be no delays in the effort to dispatch of the brew before it hit 50 degrees or higher. Grainy finish, a bit watery but for the style holds together okay. Vegetal notes start creeping in, drink 'em up! *Edit - to be fair, I am bumping the score after the beer has warmed a bit. It holds up better than expected, which is to say, it doesn't get gross or make me hurl in my mouth a bit. Up to 'not impressed' woo hoo! Actually, I'd go as high as 2.25 if they allowed quarter-points.

Mouthfeel - crisp but feels a little undercarbonated just the same. Definitely doesn't have the body it needs.

Drinkability - value purchase at Walgreen's. Keep the Benjamins at bay and toss a few Washingtons in the mix. $3.33 a sixer. I got every penny's worth...unfortunately more pennies are needed, and I may have overpaid. Not to be overly harsh, I would ice 'er down and knock a few back after the yard work or cutting up some wood. But as a social lubricant, this beer will not be the positive subject of any discussion.

1.53/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pint glass.

This beer is light yellow and fizzy.

It doesn't have much smell. Grainy and metallic.

It's adjuncty and sweet. Not very hoppy. As it warms it gets worse.

It's watery and fizzy.

Overall, it's better than Big Flats Light, but that's not a stretch.

2.88/5  rDev +13.4%

A- straw yellow body with a white head

S- choisest hops... grainy sweetness mostly

M- medium body with a higher end of carbonation, crisp

T- grains, some butter, sweet

O- decent american adjunct, nothing outstanding and the best part is the crispness of the mouthfeel

3.33/5  rDev +31.1%

poured from 12oz can into pint glass

A-poured a pale buff yellow with about 2 finger head that faded quickly

S-just like you would expect not a lot of anything pretty underwhelmg hints of hops and malts with some corn and cereal

T-again not much, a little corn flake like taste is about all, better than but not as "good" as Miller High Life IMO

M-fizzy and yellow just like it says for the style

O-not terrible, just not great if you are looking for any flavor , but at 2.99 for a six pack it is head and shoulders above BMC

2.38/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Never heard of this brew. My old man had an Oktoberfest tasting with his siblings and a six pack of this appeared. There was duct tape on each can, and it was clearly labeled Oktoberfest. I thought that was pretty funny. Anyways....

Poured out of a 12 oz can into mug.

A) Yellow and bubbly. A good inch and a half of foamy white head. The head was gone quickly. There was no lacing.

S) Grain, pretty corny, kind of artificial and slightly metallic.

T) I guess it's not terrible. It reminds me of the many times I unleashed the beast in college.

M) Thin and highly carbonated.

O) I have come to learn this beer is exclusive to Walgreens. I guess it comes in handy for those looking for something to chase down their Vicodin. Seriously though, this is pretty bad.

Big Flats 1901 from World Brews