Big Flats 1901 | World Brews

Big Flats 1901Big Flats 1901

World Brews
wineryexchange.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed by Hop House Brews, La Crosse. WI and Rochester, NY for Walgreens Drug Stores.

Added by alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

2.39/5  rDev -5.9%

It's cheap, and that's the best I can say about it. Think poorly made beer and you'll have a pretty good idea what waits for you in the can. Save the 3 bucks for a sixpack and buy a single of a good beer instead.

2.43/5  rDev -4.3%

12 oz. can poured into a Libbey pilsner glass. This can says "Brewed by World Brews, Rochester NY".

Look - Straw yellow. Fluffy head that settles into whispy. The lacing lingers on the glass.
Smell - Cooked vegetables and plant matter.
Taste - Again with the cooked vegetables, little bit of rice water. Sadly, not much going on here. Beer needs to be ice cold.
Feel - Watery mouthfeel. Decent carbonation.
Overall - Drinkable, but not something I would go out of my way to get; even at a $2.99 price point. I am going to use the rest as a marinade for chicken, beef and pork. (Sadly, that is what I originally bought it for. I had hoped for a little more.)

2.8/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The can itself doesn't tell much more than that it's a Lager Beer brewed by Hop House Brews (La Crosse, WI or Rochester, NY). A quick internet search told me that it was a 50 cent a can beer from Walgreens. Needless to say, my expectations weren't high. I decided to give it a fair chance nonetheless.

I poured it into a standard pint glass. What I saw was a clear golden colored beer, topped with a white head that dissipated (too) quickly. The amount of bubbles told me that it was decently carbonated.

Sweet malts dominated the smell, at the cost of the hops. It reminded me of wheat beers.

The taste was watery, and followed the beer's scent: sweet malts, and not a lot else. Only a slight amount of bitter hops. It left an aftertaste that was unpleasant and sour.

The feeling was a bit course, but still refreshing, and the beer was decently carbonated.

Overall this is not a beer I would enjoy on a Sunday afternoon. It's too watery and too malty for that. However, it's great for a warm day, with some spicy food, and its low price makes it a great choice for parties as well. Just keep drinking to avoid the unpleasant aftertaste!

2.38/5  rDev -6.3%

I almost pissed my pants reading these reviews. God bless the guys that give it a five. Generally you get what you pay for. So keeping that in mind, this is some cheap ass beer. It costs 2.99 here in Chicago at Walgreens. It is drinkable. When my budget is fatter than I drink better beer. When I gotta scrape some bread together, this is the cheapest option and its better than no beer. Quit yer bitchin'.

2.35/5  rDev -7.5%

For what it is, a cheap AAL, this is as decent a beer as any. $2.99 a six pack...what does one expect? Golf course, beach, yard-work beer. Most of the time I'd prefer a $9.00 six pack of good beer to 3/4 of a case of this stuff, but most of the time isn't all of the time.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

1.08/5  rDev -57.5%

PROS: Very cheap beer for the buzz - $2.99 a six-pack at Walgreen's, and the artwork on the can is ok.

CONS: The taste and smell makes me want to puke. Seriously, I have a hard time keeping it down. The only way to drink it is to plug your nose and chug it down as fast as possible.

2.39/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

3.76/5  rDev +48%

Not bad all around really.Great beer to take Fishin,Work out in the Yard,Camping,buzz maintanence after all the good stuff is gone and nothing is open like Sunday mornings lol.It's 2.59 a sixer here.Ya just cant beat that price especially on a hot summer day.About the carbonation.I have bought some that was as described very bland on the carbonation almost damn flat but at the same time Like as I write this the Carbonation is very high and even more bite colder (Love that carb bite).It doesnt tend to have that sour aftertaste more of a sweet fruity aftertaste actually.Which can lend tothe "Maintanence factor as anyone knows that sour aftertaste we dont want it when we been drinking all weekend the sweet is much easier to handle.Think about it Wallgreens the Drug store has the PERFECT BUZZ MAINT BEER :)

This Beer also does well served in a ice cold mug yum yum yum

However I think that TRANSPORTATION could be a factor in the quality of the product once it reaches its point of sale.

Am I wrong?

Walgreens should handle with care lol and not transport just with everything else its a sensitive material

They could probably buy a couple of big rigs and send them across america promoting and delivering the Product and triple thier money wallgreens can affod it

*Slides Leonard a cold one since he gave it 5

2.87/5  rDev +13%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

you can not beat it for the price. yay walgreens

2.03/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Meh. Watery and bland. Can't really say that it tastes bad since it largely has no taste at all other than a corn adjunct aftertaste. Not highly carbonated, so I imagine this would be a good choice for some frat party's beer bong: cheap, tasteless, and with only average/medium light carbonation.

3.33/5  rDev +31.1%

Wow, lots of beer snob reviews about this beer. First thing I thought when I tried this beer was Yuengling, not too bad of smell and taste. Good for a hot summer day, and not bad for the price, $2.99 a 6 pack at Walgreens.

1.5/5  rDev -40.9%

Just flat out terrible, this may be the worst beer I have ever tasted.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.74/5  rDev +7.9%

Can from Walgreens at 3.33 per six pack.
Crystal clear light golden color with a bubbly frothy white head and moderate sticky lace. Grainy cereal aromas with a touch of pomme fruitiness. Crisp grainy maltiness with a touch of green apple and lots of carbonic bite. Medium body with a spirited level of carbonation. Well the price is right, and it doesn't suck. I wouldn't go out of my way to pick this up, but its a decent drinker. I might see if I can shotgun one of the remaining 5 cans.

2.64/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Ok, Walgreens beer, but I need to be objective. Color and head needs not be discussed. Aroma is malty and smells like any of the cheaper, mass produced low end beers. Taste, well, not as crappy as I thought it would be. Definitely malt forward, but I would put it up there with the bud, bud light and cheaper beers. It is not as bad as people say for what it is. Not much hop flavor here, but a good beer for the yard work days, and make sure you drink it very cold..

1.43/5  rDev -43.7%

The worst beer I have ever had. Tastes like someone watered-down a PBR and then threw corn meal into it. I was unable to choke down a single can even after a couple different beers and ended up pouring 10 cans out of a 12 pack down the sink.

2.97/5  rDev +16.9%

1.07/5  rDev -57.9%

Horrible ... 2nd worst beer I ever tasted

3.55/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Best beer for price Ever

3.7/5  rDev +45.7%

Works for me, easy on the system

2.26/5  rDev -11%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Defiantly not the worst thing I have drank. This might not be something I would sit down to enjoy or serve with any sort of meal. However, I could see this being a perfect cheap beer to bring fishing or camping.

Big Flats 1901 from World Brews