Big Flats 1901 | World Brews

Big Flats 1901Big Flats 1901

World Brews
wineryexchange.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed by Hop House Brews, La Crosse. WI and Rochester, NY for Walgreens Drug Stores.

Added by alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

2.6

3.5/5  rDev +34.6%

Big Flats 1901 has a very thick, white head, and a clear, pale straw appearance, with lots of bubbles streaming up. Some lacing is left behind. The aroma is mild and stereotypical American-style lager. Taste is also mild, balanced, and good. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Big Flats 1901 finishes crisp and refreshing. Overall, this is a pretty good beer. Try one. You'll especially enjoy the price!

RJT

3.5/5  rDev +34.6%

3.48/5  rDev +33.8%

This can of Big Flats Premium Brew came from a $3.00 six-pack at the corner Walgreens. It is brewed by Genesee Brewing exclusively for the chain. The following is just a sampling of the wonder-inducing claims printed on the can: "Genuine Beer", "Brewed from only the choicest hops" and "It's the water that makes it." This smattering of such non-descript statements lets me know that I'm in for one of the beers of all time.

Poured to a pint glass, three fingers of white head surface for a cameo before settling down. Retention is actually pretty good and the lacing is nice. The beer is a pale bronze tint that looks soft but implies that it is watered down. Carbonation is very active. It is suspiciously reminiscent of Genesee Cream Ale.

The aroma gives off a little hop presence. It's barely noticeable, but I was surprised to recognize it at all given the low price this carries. The rest of the scent is prototypical corn-adjunct lager. It smells a bit more watery than average but still quite sweet.

The taste is a pleasant surprise; not in the sense that it's a revelation for the style, but in the sense that a $.50 can of beer shouldn't be this good. It's treading in the "lite" end of the American lager pool, but with a slight edge in the depth of flavor. The malt bill tastes sweet and grainy. Corn is used in a way that compliments the brew. Aftertaste is non-existent. It's a bit watery, which is why it feels more like light beer; but it is backed by enough taste to get a thumbs up.

In the mouth Big Flats barely registers above water. This can be a positive thing as I can come up with several uses for this beer. It's the classic yard-chore refreshment, a barbeque beer, what beer drinkers drink when they're not drinking beer, etc. All joking aside though, Big Flats is totally inoffensive and super-drinkable. The supposed 4.5% alcohol goes unnoticed; the brew goes down like water; it's cheap; and best of all, it tastes good for the style.

---

The Two Schlitz Scale™: (see my profile for an explanation)
Sure, I give a Schlitz about Big Flats, but definitely not two! Big Flats is cheap and readily available and I'd sincerely recommend it over any of the big three's standard offerings.

3.41/5  rDev +31.2%

An unbelievable $2.99 for a six pack of cans. It was one of those rare occasions that it's EXACTLY what I needed for a particular situation. That will be considered into the final rating.

So with a few cans left, this pours as expected - a pale straw golden color...but a beautiful head forms on top, creating a display of 4 fingers, and not backing down for a good minute or two. Atop the beer is a creamy ring that's almost permanent, and lace is left on the glass. A solid 5 for the style.

Aroma is of stale grains, namely corn and barley; a touch of chlorine/clean water; and a slight phenolic character as well.

It's even better tasting out of the glass than out of the can. I get a bunch of pale malts, a snap of grassy hop, and then a bit of a skunky estery quality, finally fading out to almost nothing on a bread note. My first reaction trying this beer was that it tasted like a light beer, but out of the glass I'm noticing more of the flavors surface. If I had to closely compare it's probably about like a funky cross between Labatt Blue and Miller High Life.

Feel is what's expected - carbonated up front and then calming towards the rear, and a belly full of foam. Semi dry pasty parch at the end.

I think if price is considered - and really - whether we admit it or not consciously or subconsciously we factor price into these reviews (imagine if this was $9 a can), this beer is a knockout. Affordable, semi-tasty, and oh so poundable. I'll buy it again if I'm ever in need of a quick sixer for a special occasion.

3.36/5  rDev +29.2%

Overall, Big Flats is a solid mainstream American style lager. It's hard to imagine that something sold exclusively at Walgreens, at a budget price point could be decent, but this is. From a 12oz can, this pours a very light golden color, plenty of active carbonation, and a quickly dissipating head. A typical beer aroma is detected, cereal grains, and a very slight hop presence. This actually has more of a European lager type taste than most other similar style macro lagers.

This beer is nothing revolutionary in terms of style or brewing technique, but it is good for what it is. For the price, it is a great value.

3.36/5  rDev +29.2%

From a can poured into a glass mug.

A- Golden-orange color. A lot darker than I was expecting. Big head that fizzles away to a little ring. No lacing.

S- Mostly malts, sweet, grainy. No hop scent.

T- Tastes mostly of malts and some very overcooked veggies. Faint alcohol taste. Zero hops. Aftertaste is pure malts.

M- It was flat yet mysteriously carbonated on the tongue at the same time. Heavy, cloying.

O- Overall, this beer was OK, better than most. Very malt heavy. If it had some hops to balance it out, it would be a great beer.

3.33/5  rDev +28.1%

poured from 12oz can into pint glass

A-poured a pale buff yellow with about 2 finger head that faded quickly

S-just like you would expect not a lot of anything pretty underwhelmg hints of hops and malts with some corn and cereal

T-again not much, a little corn flake like taste is about all, better than but not as "good" as Miller High Life IMO

M-fizzy and yellow just like it says for the style

O-not terrible, just not great if you are looking for any flavor , but at 2.99 for a six pack it is head and shoulders above BMC

3.33/5  rDev +28.1%

Wow, lots of beer snob reviews about this beer. First thing I thought when I tried this beer was Yuengling, not too bad of smell and taste. Good for a hot summer day, and not bad for the price, $2.99 a 6 pack at Walgreens.

3.31/5  rDev +27.3%

Like many others, I picked this up at Walgreens at $3.49 for a six-pack. I was going to pick up a few beers and didn't really feel like going anywhere else, so why not, I thought to myself. I wasn't expecting much at all, and since my normal beer drinking is done toward the low end (think Pabst, Schlitz, Schaefer, etc.), I couldn't see myself being too disappointed. I wasn't.

Big Flats 1901 is what I would call a very drinkable beer, a good yard work beer that works equally well washing down spicy Indian food or a greasy pizza (two pairings I've sampled at this point). Despite what some here have to say about it (beer snobs unite at this point, it's ok, I've been referred to as such due to my disdain for Bud Select), it really isn't bad.

Color is the usual macro very light straw yellow. There isn't much aroma other than from corn and the can. It pours a decent two-finger head and leaves a nice lacing as you drink it down (for my samplings I used a New Belgium globe glass). As for taste, I'm just going to say that it tastes good (grainy malt, slightly sweet with just enough hops to notice) and that it goes down smooth with little to no aftertaste. It's watery, but that's not a bad thing in this case (not every beer needs to be an oatmeal stout).

Really, for the price, it's not bad. I'd rather drink this at $3.50 for a six pack than any of the big macro-brewery's mainstream options at a couple of dollars more. It's exceptionally drinkable, and good enough that I've bought four more six packs since my initial purchase. It does the job, and frankly, I do prefer it to Pabst.

3.25/5  rDev +25%

3.22/5  rDev +23.8%

Approx. $3.00 for a six-pack at Walgreens, ice cold from Walgreens' high-tech beverage rack.

Looks good, looks like it might be kind of tasty and might give me a good buzz.

Smells OK -- kind of like Old Milwaukee.

Tastes OK -- kind of like Old Milwaukee, with a slighly sour aftertaste.

Medium-low carbonation.

Overall, really OK, especially given the mind-blowing low price. Don't let the budget pricetag fool you -- Big Flats 1901 is a decent adjunct lager.

3.21/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Back on the CANquest for it is summer,
poured a typical light straw gold but had and held an ok head for an AAL
smelled faintly of grain and green plant/vegetable, pretty typical here too
Taste was sweet light maltyness followed by a sweet corn flavor actually isnt bad for an AAL
has a bit more of a body than the light AAL
Overall for $3 a sixer I don't see an issue with what this is, rated to style which may be why this may look higher to people. Would I turn this down for say a bud light, not any chance.

3.2/5  rDev +23.1%

A: Light straw color with two fingers of white head. Pours a clear, thinly-hued, light straw body. A 2 to 3 finger puffy and bubbly white head initially sits on top of the beer but reduces to just a small ring around the glass.

S: Standard grain and corn is about it. Faint (understatement) spicy and earthy hops.

T: Very light and mild taste. Not a whole heck of a lot to it. Grains, corn, and spicy hops sum up the flavor very well in my opinion. Very watery/dry finish to this beer with a hint of bitterness.

M: Low bodied with medium carbonation. It's crisp and refreshing.

D: I didn't have a problem putting one down within a minute or too. The lack of a taste makes it really easy to drink. I'd challenge someone who doesn't like beer to drink one of these because I don't think they'd be able to say it's disgusting. I could see stashing a few of these away in the fridge for a warm summer day.

One thumb up. It's not a bad beer by any means. It's not something you'd seek out, but if you were at Walgreens or in the general area, why not pick it up? You won't be disappointed. I'd drink this over Bud, Miller, or Coors.

3.2/5  rDev +23.1%

*Can says, "brewed by brewmaster's choice, Rochester, NY"

A - picket fence white airy head. Some scattered lacing. Clear pale lemonaid yellow.

S - hayseeds. Corn husks. Smells vaguely of cut grass. Not sweet. Not hoppy. Not sour. But also not skunky. It has a non imposing noncommittal nose.

T - artificial sweeteners and corn syrup. Nothing to speak of in terms of hops, unusual for a California beer but not for one in this price range. Aftertaste just kinda sits there like the last guy to leave the party or a hobo on a bench. He doesn't bother anyone but isn't doing anything.

M - smooth easy enough going down. A good enough experience.

D - well most of what you can say about this beer is mediocre but you can't deny the price point. Less than $4 for six. For that price mediocre is doing quite well. Milwaukee and Coors could learn a few things from these guys. Cheap and not disgusting is possible.

3.18/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Wife found this while out shopping for the 4th. I think she said $3.49 for the sixer!

Pours a clear gold with a nice 2 finger head that dropped in time. the remaining ring left a receding bit of lace.

Mild grainy lager smell is what I got here

Taste is clean, mildly sweet with a bit of a bite on the finish. Thin mouthfeel with pretty strong carbonation.

Nothing complex, just a basic, easy drinking session beer. I also call beers like this "Lawnmower beers"

If it stays local, I'd gladly drink this on these hot summer days. Not bad.

3.18/5  rDev +22.3%

I thought this beer was excellent for it's price.
I went into the Wallgreens that was built in my town recently for the first time. Apparently this beer is exclusively sold at Wallgreens for 2.99 a 6 pack, and I was expecting garbage, but I had never seen this beer before, so I decided to give it a try.
This beer exceeded my expectations, which mind you, were very low, so I am giving it a good score.
It's pretty light, but to me, it kind of tastes like a Budweiser knock off. It has the smell of Milwaukee's Best, not very great, but you get more than you pay for.

It's a typical American adjunct lager for an unbeatable price. Pick one up if you're looking to down a six pack at the river or something. It goes down pretty smooth when it's cold.

3.13/5  rDev +20.4%

12 oz can pours a crystal clear, light yellow color with a decent sized white head. Retention is about average for the style and leaves a little collar around the edge.

Nose is pretty sweet, cooked corn and some caramel popcorn. Not horrible compared to other AALs, has some flaws, but is not nose-wrinkling bad.

Taste has more sweetness and a fuller body than most adjunct lagers. Definitely buttery with a dash of grain alcohol. Grainy malts are obviously supplemented with plenty of adjuncts. Not a horrible beer and I was actually a bit impressed with how it tastes considering the price tag. I bought a flat last week and am down to my last sixer, so there is definitely value to be had here. I would rather drink PBR for an adjunct lager, but not at nearly twice the price. Makes a good golf beer.

3.13/5  rDev +20.4%

I must say off the bat that this beer cost me $2.50 for a six pack.

Appearance - So, from the look of this beer, you would think it would hold up to other American lagers. Pours a clear, clear, clear golden body. Lots of bubbles. A nice 2 inch head that disappears way to fast. the lacing, on the other hand, is quite nice.

Smell - Smells pretty sweet actually. Much more sweet than I thought it would. I also get some grassy and earthy notes popping through.

Taste - I'll be honest. I'm not looking forward to this... It's still a bit sweet and the earthy tones definitely come through on the taste. Eh.

Mouthfeel - This beer is pretty carbonated, as is MOST of the American lagers on the shelves. It coats the palate pretty nicely.

Overall - I'm actually really surprised with this beer. The fact that it taste pretty good and costs sooo little just blows me away. I might actually buy this again, but only if I have a few bucks and want a substantial amount of beer.

3.12/5  rDev +20%

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

Take the glass you had your MGD in and fill it up with water. The only beer factor that this even had was the nice white head on it. A lot of bubbles.

Smells like straw and malt...or maybe straw WAS the malt. Not very much of anything else going on here...really.

The can says it's made with the choicest hops... Those hops must be so rare and choicest that they couldn't find any to put in the beer. Taste was almost tinny, like it pulled something from the aluminum can. In all fairness, it wasn't awful...just not good.

The carbonation is pretty big in this one. Almost cola like.

Drinkability? Yeah, you can down as much of this as you can hold water. Thing is, you more than likely picked up this beer on the fact that Walgreens now has a beer and as a BA you just had to try it for the sake of shit's and giggles. It almost looks like a gag gift. It's pretty damn close to Hamm's, although I think Hamm's is better. One of the best parts for me is, it says Premium Brew... Seems like it should be in a simple white can that says BEER in black letters.

3.12/5  rDev +20%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

I loves me the cheapness. It pours a clear sallow topped by a fairly short-lived half-finger of white foam. The nose comprises corn, wheat, rice, flour, light flowers, and a touch of wispy sweetness. The taste doesn't deviate very far, though the corn is the demonstrably dominant grain now, and the sweetness has increased ever so slightly. The body is rather light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Oddly enough, overall, I expected a helluva lot worse. The fizziness was lower, the taste slightly more hardy, and it goes down less painfully than I initially figured. Still not that much of a beer here, but given the choice (especially at these prices), this thing destroys nearly any AAL I've ever had.

3.1/5  rDev +19.2%

Walgreen's beer! For some reason, this strikes me as being funny.

It is what it is - cheap (really, really cheap) macro adjunct lager. But, for what it is, it really isn't all that bad. Pours the predictable light golden yellow. Nominal head. Thin body. Flavor is nondescript with a bit of adjunct grain popping up at the end. Finish is clean, teetering just a bit toward tart but not going that way.

At the right time and place, such as a hot day boating on the lake, a reasonable choice.

3.1/5  rDev +19.2%

12oz can

Big Flats 1901 was pale golden with good clarity. It had an off-white head that managed a little lace. The smell was light malt and grain with a hint of hops. The taste was light malt, a bit grainy, with a hop bite. It finished dry and fairly long for the style. It was medium-light in body with good carbonation. Drinkabitly was good. This is a pretty basic lager that is crisp and refreshing.

3.09/5  rDev +18.8%

Thanks to woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of grains and corn. Taste is crisp, mild, corn and grains, not a lot going on. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall just another mediocre adjunct lager.

3.08/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.08/5  rDev +18.5%

The beer pours a pale straw color with a thick frothy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a dry, pilsner malt scent along and little to no hop aroma. The taste is average as well. It has a light, pilsner malt and adjunct flavor. It has a touch of malt character, but nothing going in the hops department. It goes down quick with a bit of skunkiness in the finish. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a pretty forgettable beer, although it's not much different from the rest in the market.

Big Flats 1901 from World Brews