Big Flats 1901 | World Brews

Big Flats 1901Big Flats 1901

World Brews
California, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed by Hop House Brews, La Crosse. WI and Rochester, NY for Walgreens Drug Stores.

Added by alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

2.6

Reviews: 154 | Ratings: 315
2.98/5  rDev +14.6%

Bought a six pack for a friend at a Walgreens for $2.99, so I'm expecting good things.
Poured from a 12 oz can into a pilsner glass.
Very clear, pale yellow with a 1/2" bubbly head that soon fades to a thin layer. Head comes back some with a swirl. Leaves some spotty lacing.
Not much going on in the smell but it's not bad. There's a grassy hop presence and a little corn husk, and a little general cheap beer smell.
The taste comes on well balanced and clean, then damp corn husk and a bit of soapiness hit the palate. Finishes with some stale maltiness, a touch of sweetness.
Pretty nice texture for an AAL. Comes on light and carbonated, ends soft and smooth.
Drinkability, eh. There's some weird tastes but the texture is nice. I'd probably drink fewer of these than Bud Lights.
The soap and damp corn husk tastes are weird, but otherwise it's ok for an AAL.

2.96/5  rDev +13.8%

Straw-colored brew with a fluffy white head that dissolves somewhat quickly. Very mild flavor- sweet grain and vegetables. Taste is very smooth. Grassy, crisp and a little sweet. A slight metallic tinge in the aftertaste. This beer is nothing amazing, but I could easily drink it all day. Especially when it's $2.99 for a sixer.

2.96/5  rDev +13.8%

I was accompanying TheLibrarianGirl on a late-night trek to Walgreen's in search of some beloved, though soon-to-be discontinued facial moisturizer. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a six-pack of beer I did not recognize. Big Flats! And for the price of $3.49!

Appearance: Pours a clear, thinly-hued, light yellow body with an initially charged, white head that soon settles into a inner-glass encircling ring.

Smell: Nose of displaced, ultra-light malts, faint spicy hops, and grains ruefully dipped in chemical solvents.

Taste: Superficial maltiness, a hint of powdered sugar sweetness. Though the choicest hops were utilized, what's present is incredibly light, giving only a touch of spiciness and even less bitterness. Nearing the swallow, there's a little twitch of chemically harshness, like you're drinking a really, really watered down malt liquor. This very, very faint virulence lasts into the thin finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied, a bit watery, but, as the can says, "it's the water that makes it." Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: A light, lackluster lager, but, being so cheapo-beapo, I can't really hold that against it. Drink it quick, drink it cold, friends.

2.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Big Flats, American Lager brewed by Brewmaster's Choice Rochester NY.

A: Nice golden color with an attempt at some lacing, pours a nice thick head which disappears rather quickly 3.0

S: Smells of typical American lagers in which you get a load of grainy pale malts but I did not expect some grassy notes, expected a plain no smell no taste beer. 3.0

T: Grassy and grainy for sure maybe some corn adjuncts in there with all the malts. Slight fruity taste, an almost non-existent hop flavor lingering at the back end. 3.0

M: Light bodied and not much to talk about but nice carbonation level. 2.5

O: Overall I could have this again, no big hurry but will consider it on hot day at beach and don’t want anything to high in ABV to bog you down.
3.0

2.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Found this one at the local Walgreens. $2.99 for a six pack of cans. Poured into a pint glass

A: Very light, straw yellow in color. Small head.

S: Standard adjunct lager. Not much to smell.

T: Actually, not that bad. Somewhat sweet, malty finish. A lot better than I expected.

M: Thin. Somewhat watery.

D: A very easy drinking beer. I don't know how many I'd actually want to have in one session, but I'm sure someone would like to pound a bunch of these.

Overall: Not a horrible beer, but not good. You get what you pay for. For $2.99, I didn't expect much, and that's what I got.

2.94/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer is $2.99 a six pack but to me tastes much better than Bud, Coors, or Miller...not skunky and I can taste a slight hint of malt. Does not have the bitterness of cheap brews like malt liquor. Overall I would compare it with a Pabst Blue Ribbon in quality and price....did not expect it to taste like a Samuel Adams for the price but it was not disappointing.

2.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Don't go to Walgreens much. Saw this beer at $2.99 a six pack, knew I had never had it and basically said, "what the heck."
Based on the price tag, I will give a little rope. I can be harsh when I rate the expensive beers that I think are a poor value, and give a little slack for the cheap stuff.
Pours a pale hay straw yellow with a skimpy head that is gone in the blink of the eye.
Aroma is grassy with some earthy tones.
Taste is corn husk.
It is a little fizzy. This is beer that is best kept for a hot summer day after doing yard work and you just want a beer to chug down and quench a thirst.

2.91/5  rDev +11.9%

Less than 4 bucks for a sixer?!?!? How can I go wrong?

A: Crystal Clear, and light yellow. A soft white head, that dissipates rather quickly.

S: Slightly sweet, perhaps a touch of skunk and metal, or maybe just a hint of vegetable.

T: Taste follows smell, simple, slightly sweet, partly malty. perhaps a touch of metal in the finish. But for less than a buck a beer, it really isn't as bad as a lot of other AAL's I have had.

M: Light in body, fairly high in carbonation, and clean finish.

D: For the price, it isn't too bad, but it is certainly not anything I am going to stock regularly. Average at best.

2.9/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an incredibly light yellow with a a good amount of white head. Smells grainy but not horribly so. Tastes grainy, but not in a bad way. Taste very lttle alcohol, very little anything but what I do taste isn't really bad. Mouthfeel is thin, drinkability is high. This beer is totally with $2.99 a sixer, I imagine it'd be great on a hot summer day.

2.9/5  rDev +11.5%

Can courtesy of optimator13 for this gag extra. Served in a pilsener glass.

A - Two fingers of eggshell foam quickly sizzle to a partial ring and cluster of wispy bubbles. Transparent urine-colored body with lots of visible bubble streams racing upward. Looks like pretty much every other macro lager.

S - Mostly grain, some faint creamed corn, and a hint of grass. Pretty boring and inoffensive.

T - Taste is largely cereal grains, with a hint of buttery pils malt, nebulous fruity notes, and a fairly clean finish. A bit too sweet for my preference, but not awful.

M - Grainy, medium-light body. Higher carbonation, and a surprisingly pleasant dry, crisp finish. It's a bit watery, but it's actually kind of refreshing.

D - Pretty inoffensive adjunct lager, and for the price it's much preferable to many BMC offerings I have tried. I can't imagine myself ever purchasing this, but if it was between this and Bud Light at a friend's house I'd pick this one.

2.89/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Light yellow and very clear. Nice pouring head, but disappears quite rapidly.

S: I smell a little apple and citrus, slightly grainy. Has a bread undertone.

T: Like most beers of this style its extremely hard to find some distinct taste to put your finger on. The malt is more prominant in this beer than many in the style. Hops are non existant. If i had to name a few subtle tastes it would be apple and citrus, but they are so faint that it isnt worth mentioning. Slightly sour, but not to the extent some people have said.

M: Light, smooth, very easy going down.

O: This beer is for nothing more than drinking on a hot summer day if the water company suddenly told you that your local water supply was contaminated with parasitic ameoba. Honestly, this beer isnt that bad. Ive paid double this price for a single beer that i didnt enjoy as much as this beer's sixpack ($2.99 7/18/11). And now i have 5 more. They will be saved for a hot summer day outside.

2.88/5  rDev +10.8%

A- straw yellow body with a white head

S- choisest hops... grainy sweetness mostly

M- medium body with a higher end of carbonation, crisp

T- grains, some butter, sweet

O- decent american adjunct, nothing outstanding and the best part is the crispness of the mouthfeel

2.88/5  rDev +10.8%

Excited to try Walgreens brand of beer. On sale for $2.68 a six-pack. Normally it's $3 for six, which still makes it one of the cheapest beers I know of.

Pretty pale with a short white head and lots of carbonation.

Mild sweet grain-like aroma.

It doesn't really taste like anything. Mild grain flavors and a barest hint of hops. No off flavors, which is a positive thing.

The body isn't actually that bad. It's not that watery: there's some substance to this.

Overall this isn't that great a beer, but you shouldn't expect it to be. Walgreens is trying to be similar to Bud, but cheaper.

2.87/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: This beer pours a light yellow color with a clean white head. Head retention is limited which is not uncommon for the style.

Smell: A clean fresh smell which is surprising given the price..

Taste: A little sweet with just a touch of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: A little watery but considering the price and the style it is OK.

Overall: A good solid beer for a college student or anyone in short of funds.

All in all I was impressed. I think it is funny the number of reviews that place the blame for buying this beer on some relative or friend who “knows nothing about beer”. I bought this knowing that I was buying a adjunct American lager.

2.84/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

this is a pretty drinkable cheap beer, esp for the summer time. much better than malt liquor and as good as other big brewery options (coors light, miller lite) for 1/2 the price. also, shandy mixer anyone?

a - clear, golden. expect this to come out about the same color, hue

s - not much here. take what you get.

t - corn mash, sweet finish. really not bad for a cheap-o beer. clean finish

m - not really anything special going on here. carbed like a comparable big box beer. goes down like sparkling water :^)

they waved hops over this stuff and called it beer. not bad tho for the price. try it.

2.82/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pretty average in color. Straw yellow. Gives a nice pour overall. Not much lacing, but some foam is nice. Carbonation is fairly heavy and definitely rustic.

Smell: Pretty clean overall. Mostly boiled or lightly baked grain. Pretty fresh overall.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I've tried this out of the can and poured into a glass and I definitely notice a difference. It comes across cleaner at the beginning but with a thicker, sour mouthfeel. In contrast, out of the can it tastes more metallic at the beginning and tastes and feels cleaner in the finish. Definitely carbonated all around though yet a bit flat in the finish.

Drinkability: I'm gonna give this some credit. Nothing terrible about it makes it untolerable.

Overall: Not quite as good as macro lagers, but better than the cheap versions.

2.82/5  rDev +8.5%

A recent gift in support of The CANQuest (TM)! Walgreen's has their own beer?!? I CAN dig it, CAN you? Many thanks to my CANtributor (who shall be unnamed unless he asks me to out him - ok, it's thagr81us) for his generous CANtribution to the madness. I keep thinking that with a good logo, I could get T-shirts made up for all of my fellow CANQuesters (TM), both active reviewers and frequent CANtributors, alike. Hmmm.

From the CAN: In addition to the unattached paddle wheel, it reads "Genuine Beer Brewed From Only the Choicest Hops" and "It's the water that makes it."

I wonder - if it is truly "genuine", does it come with a certificate of authenticity? I do not want some artificial or replica beer in my glass! Believe it or don't, we actually have standards here at JP24-7 Productions, LLC and I will not stand for crappy imitations of the real thing.

The Crack & Glug proceeded as normal with my centerline aggro pour producing two fingers' worth of foamy bone-white head. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had an immediate blast of cabbage followed by corn and silage. The more that I drink these AmeriCAN Adjunct Lagers, the more I shake my head in wonderment at what Prohibition has wrought. To think that for a whole long time, variants on this theme were all that were being made here in the U.S. = sad. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, about the standard for the style. Taste was on the bland side, giving credence to their claim about the water because it sure weren't those "choicest hops" that were "mak[ing] it." Finish was slightly dry, pretty bland, nothing major either way. It was not bad and I hear that it is fairly inexpensive at Walgreen's so I CANnot dun it too badly. Now, if CVS would just get THEIR own brand ...

2.82/5  rDev +8.5%

Not terrible. Much lighter in color than anything I've had that didn't state "Light" on the label. Flavor is typical corny adjunct-filled cheap lager, but with no harshness or weird off-flavors. Mild and inoffensive overall. It's drinkable enough for the price.

2.81/5  rDev +8.1%

A- A plae straw, perhaps a lemon color if you will. Two and a half finger head dissapates into a slick of a head.
S- Straw, corn, slightly chemical. Not terrible but nothing is really being offered.
T- Taste is grain, slight bit of chemical note. Plenty of what seems to be directionless sweetness.
M- Light bodied, aggressive carbonation. Standard.
D- For the price, it's not a terrible adjunct lager. I wouldn't regularly consume it, but it has it's merits and uses.

2.81/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

OK, Walgreens beer? After confirming that this stuff was not TERRIBLE, I decided to throw in for 299 pennies. From a 12 oz can with no visible freshness markings into my Sam Adams glass (thanks, guys!), it's a pale clear golden yellow color with vigorous carbonation streams fueling an initially fizzy one-finger head of whitish foam that settles to a thin cap and ring fueled by constant release from the nucleation sites. Beautiful clarity; I'll give it that. Nose is bready and a bit over-sweet with notes of grass. No off-scents noted. Tastes of sweet malt and corn/grain and malt liquor. No hops. Finishes on a watery, subtly dry, ever-so-slighly bitter note. Flavor profile is extremely unassuming and neutral; it's like drinking slightly malty carbonated water. In the mouth it's watery and a bit crisp, not as much as the lively carbonation would lead one to expect. It certainly goes down easily. Drinkability--well, this is straight up lawn mowing swill; easygoing and very neutral.

Overall: This is the kind of beer I'd give to people who say they hate beer. It's the closest thing you can get to non-beer while remaining in the "4-5% ABV American adjunct lager" category. And, at 2.99 a sixer, you really can't go wrong. Not something I'd seek out again, but no worse or better than the average big-label adjunct lager out there.

2.8/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The can itself doesn't tell much more than that it's a Lager Beer brewed by Hop House Brews (La Crosse, WI or Rochester, NY). A quick internet search told me that it was a 50 cent a can beer from Walgreens. Needless to say, my expectations weren't high. I decided to give it a fair chance nonetheless.

I poured it into a standard pint glass. What I saw was a clear golden colored beer, topped with a white head that dissipated (too) quickly. The amount of bubbles told me that it was decently carbonated.

Sweet malts dominated the smell, at the cost of the hops. It reminded me of wheat beers.

The taste was watery, and followed the beer's scent: sweet malts, and not a lot else. Only a slight amount of bitter hops. It left an aftertaste that was unpleasant and sour.

The feeling was a bit course, but still refreshing, and the beer was decently carbonated.

Overall this is not a beer I would enjoy on a Sunday afternoon. It's too watery and too malty for that. However, it's great for a warm day, with some spicy food, and its low price makes it a great choice for parties as well. Just keep drinking to avoid the unpleasant aftertaste!

2.79/5  rDev +7.3%

Had to try a sixer. At $2.99 it was worth a shot. It looks pretty nice for the style - clear golden yellow with a two-finger, white head of bubbly foam. It had very little aroma at all. Faint grains and caramel. Tasted of grains, sweet caramel and bread with a very light spice bitterness. Crisp, sharp and light bodied. A very sessionable brew. This actually wasn't half bad. It was worth trying.

2.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Served in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for allowing me to have a Walgreens beer

This beer is as pale as pale straw can get without looking like hard water. There is a really nice bone white foam on the surface that does lend itself to the idea of being attractive, while still requiring the bag over its face. The smell is the typical sick sweet corn and rice smell that many have become accustomed to in an AAL. The taste on this one isn't bad, but it isn't good. There is the corn and sweet malt flavor, but it is backed by a metallic taste that I must admit is not great. The beer can be smooth but there's that overall flavor and experience that says I just don't feel like drinking this. To this beer's credit I've had so much worse in this style. This is drinkable, but I really wouldn't want to.

2.77/5  rDev +6.5%

I had to go down to FL to enjoy this gem. Mom surprised me with a sixer of this Walgreen's special. $3.00 for a sixer?! I'm down! This is one of the many reasons why I get frustrated with the great state of Pennsylvania. Poured from a can (I think it's only available in a can; it's THAT freakin' classy) in to a standard pint glass. I'll describe the color using the knowledge I acquired while attending a highly acclaimed art university. It was yellow. Smell can be described as beer. No need for fancy adjectives here. The taste...not that bad! Seriously, I thought this was going to be the worst beer in the world (this honor goes to Natural Light). It actually tastes pretty good for the style. I'd choose a PBR, High Life or Lionshead over the Big Flats but it can't be beat for the price. This would have been the beer of choice during my college years, which weren't that long ago. Easy to chug if you're playing beer pong and not offensive at all. Must be served and consumed ice cold.

2.76/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Light yellow but somehow a decent hue. Small white head settles down quickly to a steady skim. Lots of bubbles rising relaxedly from all over. Very crystal clear. Usual macro lager look with above average lacing.

S: Cereal grain, soft malty sweetness. No real hops noticed. Reasonably okay, but way too faint.

T: Mix of grainy base & a light bit of malt sweetness. Decently balancing hop bitterness. Just a hint of medicinal character. Adjunctness kept to a minimum. Quite simple in that there are just a few main notes and no nuance or accent notes. Quite fair for depth though. Stays decent as it warms.

M: Medium-light body, plentiful but soft, cushiony, & mouthfilling carbonation. Very neutral & wet finish.

D: Basic beer. Not great. Not bad. Crazy low price point. Compares very well to big name swill. Skip the stoopid ads and just make beer.

Big Flats 1901 from World Brews