Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Big Flats 1901Big Flats 1901

World Brews
California, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed by Hop House Brews, La Crosse. WI and Rochester, NY for Walgreens Drug Stores.

Added by alcstradamus on 12-11-2010

2.6

Reviews: 154 | Ratings: 315
2.38/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought a six-pack of these at Walgreens so I could send a CAN to WoodyChandler for his CANquest. I CAN dig it! Saw the other 5 CANs lying around my parent’s house and promptly through one in the freezer so I could tear into it as soon as possible. The CAN tells me, “It’s the water that makes it.” We shall see about that… Served from CAN into a RJ Rockers shaker. Poured pale straw yellow with a half finger pure white fizzy sounding head that subsided to nothing fairly quickly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, grain, corn, wheat, and broken dreams. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, corn, wheat, and water. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was not a very good brew. The aroma on this one was pretty sharp, but not in a good way. I smelled it upon cracking open the CAN and knew what I was getting myself into, but continued anyways. I should have listened to my nose. Imagine if you were to drink a Bud/Miller Lite (yeah, they don’t know how to brew good beer nor spell correctly) only it has more of a corn presence than the others. The flavor is a little bit better than the aroma, but I wouldn’t make this a go-to in a pinch brew. While this was retardedly cheap, I would rather get a job so I can at least afford some malt liquor if I were to get this desperate for a drink. Save your money on this one, all $3 of it for the 6-pack. Your palate will thank me…

2.87/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: This beer pours a light yellow color with a clean white head. Head retention is limited which is not uncommon for the style.

Smell: A clean fresh smell which is surprising given the price..

Taste: A little sweet with just a touch of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: A little watery but considering the price and the style it is OK.

Overall: A good solid beer for a college student or anyone in short of funds.

All in all I was impressed. I think it is funny the number of reviews that place the blame for buying this beer on some relative or friend who “knows nothing about beer”. I bought this knowing that I was buying a adjunct American lager.

2.77/5  rDev +6.5%

I had to go down to FL to enjoy this gem. Mom surprised me with a sixer of this Walgreen's special. $3.00 for a sixer?! I'm down! This is one of the many reasons why I get frustrated with the great state of Pennsylvania. Poured from a can (I think it's only available in a can; it's THAT freakin' classy) in to a standard pint glass. I'll describe the color using the knowledge I acquired while attending a highly acclaimed art university. It was yellow. Smell can be described as beer. No need for fancy adjectives here. The taste...not that bad! Seriously, I thought this was going to be the worst beer in the world (this honor goes to Natural Light). It actually tastes pretty good for the style. I'd choose a PBR, High Life or Lionshead over the Big Flats but it can't be beat for the price. This would have been the beer of choice during my college years, which weren't that long ago. Easy to chug if you're playing beer pong and not offensive at all. Must be served and consumed ice cold.

My grandmother, who knows nothing about beer or what I would think makes a good beer, was nice enough to buy a can for me out of the blue. She just gave this to me one day and told me she picked it up for me because she knows I like beer and like trying all different types and kinds of beers. I certainly appreciate the thought, thanks grandma! Poured into my mug, this beer is a clear, fairly light to medium golden color. The fluffy white head was a good inch thick when poured, eventually settling to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass after a few sips with bits of film cover on the surface of the beer here and there. Lots of bubbles rising up to the top of the mug. Had a grainy aroma, typical for this style. Not an offensive aroma, just kind of meh. Has a grainy flavor with some caramel sweetness and a bread like quality as well. No bitter metallic shit taste here like I have experienced with some beers of this style, and certainly more flavor overall than a lot of beers I have had of this style. Maybe just a tiny hint of hop bitterness at on the very back end. Or maybe not. I could see this being most enjoyable to drink outside in July when it is 90 degrees out and you pull one of these out of the cooler. Not a bad beer, one of the more enjoyable ones I have had of this style. Has a crisp, light bodied mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. Not too bad here, but nothing I'd go out of my way to drink again.

Eric

2.43/5  rDev -6.5%

Picked up at a Walgreens for $3/6-pack. Worthy a try? Probably not but whatever. I poured from the can into a pint glass, it's a clear pale yellow but with a pretty big head. It receded quickly with not much lacing.

The aroma is weak, grassy and not much to it. Nothing terrible, just nothing.

The taste is pretty weak as well but surprisingly refreshing.

Honestly I think it's better than the BMC guys. Will have to try side by side at some point.

2.79/5  rDev +7.3%

Had to try a sixer. At $2.99 it was worth a shot. It looks pretty nice for the style - clear golden yellow with a two-finger, white head of bubbly foam. It had very little aroma at all. Faint grains and caramel. Tasted of grains, sweet caramel and bread with a very light spice bitterness. Crisp, sharp and light bodied. A very sessionable brew. This actually wasn't half bad. It was worth trying.

3.05/5  rDev +17.3%

12oz can served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear bright yellow with a decent sized white head that thinned leaving a few spots of lacing.

S - grainy aroma, smells pretty typical for the style.

T - once again it's typical for the style, grainy and somewhat sweet with no real bitterness to it.

F - light to medium bodied with a crisp feel.

O - very much typical for the style at a lower price than BMC, PBR, Shlitz or Schaefer

2.04/5  rDev -21.5%

Appearance - pour a flat yellow/straw color. Impressive snowy head of two fingers strong. Holds up pretty nicely and has a decent creamy look to it as it fades back.

Aroma - husky grain, standard macro sniff.

Taste - grain, slightly sweet, not much depth. The swallow and finish fizzle, no development to be had. From the land of hops, where's the love? Somewhat Miller-ish, which could mean there should be no delays in the effort to dispatch of the brew before it hit 50 degrees or higher. Grainy finish, a bit watery but for the style holds together okay. Vegetal notes start creeping in, drink 'em up! *Edit - to be fair, I am bumping the score after the beer has warmed a bit. It holds up better than expected, which is to say, it doesn't get gross or make me hurl in my mouth a bit. Up to 'not impressed' woo hoo! Actually, I'd go as high as 2.25 if they allowed quarter-points.

Mouthfeel - crisp but feels a little undercarbonated just the same. Definitely doesn't have the body it needs.

Drinkability - value purchase at Walgreen's. Keep the Benjamins at bay and toss a few Washingtons in the mix. $3.33 a sixer. I got every penny's worth...unfortunately more pennies are needed, and I may have overpaid. Not to be overly harsh, I would ice 'er down and knock a few back after the yard work or cutting up some wood. But as a social lubricant, this beer will not be the positive subject of any discussion.

1.53/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pint glass.

This beer is light yellow and fizzy.

It doesn't have much smell. Grainy and metallic.

It's adjuncty and sweet. Not very hoppy. As it warms it gets worse.

It's watery and fizzy.

Overall, it's better than Big Flats Light, but that's not a stretch.

2.88/5  rDev +10.8%

A- straw yellow body with a white head

S- choisest hops... grainy sweetness mostly

M- medium body with a higher end of carbonation, crisp

T- grains, some butter, sweet

O- decent american adjunct, nothing outstanding and the best part is the crispness of the mouthfeel

3.33/5  rDev +28.1%

poured from 12oz can into pint glass

A-poured a pale buff yellow with about 2 finger head that faded quickly

S-just like you would expect not a lot of anything pretty underwhelmg hints of hops and malts with some corn and cereal

T-again not much, a little corn flake like taste is about all, better than but not as "good" as Miller High Life IMO

M-fizzy and yellow just like it says for the style

O-not terrible, just not great if you are looking for any flavor , but at 2.99 for a six pack it is head and shoulders above BMC

2.38/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Never heard of this brew. My old man had an Oktoberfest tasting with his siblings and a six pack of this appeared. There was duct tape on each can, and it was clearly labeled Oktoberfest. I thought that was pretty funny. Anyways....

Poured out of a 12 oz can into mug.

A) Yellow and bubbly. A good inch and a half of foamy white head. The head was gone quickly. There was no lacing.

S) Grain, pretty corny, kind of artificial and slightly metallic.

T) I guess it's not terrible. It reminds me of the many times I unleashed the beast in college.

M) Thin and highly carbonated.

O) I have come to learn this beer is exclusive to Walgreens. I guess it comes in handy for those looking for something to chase down their Vicodin. Seriously though, this is pretty bad.

3.18/5  rDev +22.3%

I thought this beer was excellent for it's price.
I went into the Wallgreens that was built in my town recently for the first time. Apparently this beer is exclusively sold at Wallgreens for 2.99 a 6 pack, and I was expecting garbage, but I had never seen this beer before, so I decided to give it a try.
This beer exceeded my expectations, which mind you, were very low, so I am giving it a good score.
It's pretty light, but to me, it kind of tastes like a Budweiser knock off. It has the smell of Milwaukee's Best, not very great, but you get more than you pay for.

It's a typical American adjunct lager for an unbeatable price. Pick one up if you're looking to down a six pack at the river or something. It goes down pretty smooth when it's cold.

3.36/5  rDev +29.2%

Overall, Big Flats is a solid mainstream American style lager. It's hard to imagine that something sold exclusively at Walgreens, at a budget price point could be decent, but this is. From a 12oz can, this pours a very light golden color, plenty of active carbonation, and a quickly dissipating head. A typical beer aroma is detected, cereal grains, and a very slight hop presence. This actually has more of a European lager type taste than most other similar style macro lagers.

This beer is nothing revolutionary in terms of style or brewing technique, but it is good for what it is. For the price, it is a great value.

2.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Big Flats, American Lager brewed by Brewmaster's Choice Rochester NY.

A: Nice golden color with an attempt at some lacing, pours a nice thick head which disappears rather quickly 3.0

S: Smells of typical American lagers in which you get a load of grainy pale malts but I did not expect some grassy notes, expected a plain no smell no taste beer. 3.0

T: Grassy and grainy for sure maybe some corn adjuncts in there with all the malts. Slight fruity taste, an almost non-existent hop flavor lingering at the back end. 3.0

M: Light bodied and not much to talk about but nice carbonation level. 2.5

O: Overall I could have this again, no big hurry but will consider it on hot day at beach and don’t want anything to high in ABV to bog you down.
3.0

Along with many on this site, I am a beer snob. With this beer consider the price when you review it. As long as it's cold, I find it to be on par if not better than High Life, Corona, Lone Star and other lagers yet costs about half, sometimes less. I'm giving it 3.0 eh, but it deserves better.

1.83/5  rDev -29.6%

2011 Can - Pours thin and clear neon yellow with a huge fluffy white head...aroma is corny with lightly toasted grain, flavour is corny and malty with a lot more wheat than I expected...finish is sweet and lightly skunky...wasn’t really expecting much and it didn’t disappoint, but the marketing campaign was tolerable...apparently even Walgreens has more integrity than the Bruery...

2.19/5  rDev -15.8%

Can courtesy of BeerFMAndy. This is how he repays me for sharing sours all the time? Thanks friend. Poured into a tulip.

A: Crystal clear pale yellow. Three fingers of white head fill the top half of my glass then fade away rather quick. Just a tiny smattering a soapy lace remains.

S: Sweet grains, grassy, sour malt. Smells like a weak malt liquor.

T: The flavors are fairly mild but nowhere near good. Faint hops, mildly tart malt, grass clippings, cooked vegetables. Pretty standard for the style.

M: Light body with biting carbonation.

O: It's an AAL. Just as shitty as the rest of em.

1.21/5  rDev -53.5%

Purchased a 6-pack for $2.99 at Walgreens. There is no freshness date on the cans, which may explain my very poor review.

A - Extremely translucent with medium carbonation; it looks like an "ultra light" beer. No head whatsoever, even with an aggressive pour.

S - Smells skunked with strong hints of rotten cabbage. I've never smelled a beer this offensive in my life.

T - Absolutely horrendous. The rotten cabbage odor carries into the flavor -- I couldn't finish this beer.

M - Very watery and flat.

Personally, I've never tasted a beer this repulsive in my life. Perhaps the beer was 2-3 years past expiration, but I'm still going to rate it based on my experience with the particular 6-pack I purchased. AVOID.

$2.99 6-pack sold at Walgreens quite wallet friendly beer 12 oz. can served in my favorite glassware from the brands brewer Genesee
Label is appealing with a large waterwheel rolling in a raging river. the label as read 'PREMIUM BREW', Genuine Brew 'Brewed From Only The Choicest Hops', and 'It's the water that makes it.("really"? we did'nt know that.) Big flats '1901'label has instresting grapics on the label and big self promotion and to think all that hoopla is what sells ajunct filled beers."Brewed by Brewmaster's Choice, Rochester, NY" a Genessee brand

As standard as regular beer comes, straw-golden colour and extra filtered clarity. Initial start of medium carbonation and two fingers of fluffy head. Disintegrates too quick, leaving little more than a very extra thin layer of of head.Nose starts as a not very appealing vegetable smell at pour, but not to worry will fade in seconds, from then on,light corn sweetness and light cereal maltiness. Neither off nor exciting, just whats expected for this style.I'm definitely not a connoisseur of some mainstream ajunct beers, but I have downed this style of beer once in a while in past years With that keeping that in mind this beer falls in the regular american ajunct beer style , kind of sweet start, mildly hopped and dry finish.
nice mellow mouthfeel, low carbonation. Not as heavly carbonated and thin tasing as some big name adjunct lagers, which is a big bonus for my taste , but not quite as smooth as could be, but as good or better than most ajunct beers at $4.50 or less price. Not too bad, really, although I have admit to consuming a six pack right after a long stressfull work day so beer period would definitely do the job.So in all fairness i wanted try it agin. I found it easy enough to drink and refreshing though, mouthfeel does not stand out.Head is nice 2 fingers of foam but dissipates too quickly. This beer is nothing to write home about, the cheap price tag makes it an Formidable Competitor to big name ajunct beers.and at $2.99 your wallet can sleep easy.!!!!

2.03/5  rDev -21.9%

This is the new Walgreen's beer that sells for $3.72 for a sixer of cans. This one pours a pale yellow fizzy golden hue with a bright white head leaving a sporadic chunky sight of lace. Aroma has big cereal notes with slightly harsh tones of cereal grain offness, a bit of metallic edge. Some cooked veggies slightly cereal sweetness. Flavor wise more unwelcoming harshness, I just don't understand why Walgreen's wants to offer this caliber of shit beer along with your prescriptions. Cheap yes, good no. Will it satisfy your shitty beer cravings, wait hold on you really crave shitty beer. Maybe this site isn't for you. I really haven't liked anything from this beer marketing company out of Novato, CA. Especially Moe's Taproom No. 21, Cegauama, and Hollande 1500 and something. This carbonation and mouthfeel doesn't reinforce any reason why you should be drinking this can, overall shitty beer contract brewed by the good folks at Genesee sorry if I want cheap beer I will grab a six of Genny pounders.

2.33/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz can into pint pint glass

A: Lots of carbonation bubbles sticking to the glass and good levels of carbonation. Body has a very clear yellow character. White head sinks very quickly.

S: The aroma has a very high level of rice and other adjuncts. No real hop or malty tone. Light aroma for style.

T/M: The first sip shows a grassy, corn element. The low level of hop character is not balanced with the other low level of other tastes. Mouthfeel is standard and crisp for the style.

O: This a bit of a lack luster brew, to the style it does not set a very good example.

2.89/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Light yellow and very clear. Nice pouring head, but disappears quite rapidly.

S: I smell a little apple and citrus, slightly grainy. Has a bread undertone.

T: Like most beers of this style its extremely hard to find some distinct taste to put your finger on. The malt is more prominant in this beer than many in the style. Hops are non existant. If i had to name a few subtle tastes it would be apple and citrus, but they are so faint that it isnt worth mentioning. Slightly sour, but not to the extent some people have said.

M: Light, smooth, very easy going down.

O: This beer is for nothing more than drinking on a hot summer day if the water company suddenly told you that your local water supply was contaminated with parasitic ameoba. Honestly, this beer isnt that bad. Ive paid double this price for a single beer that i didnt enjoy as much as this beer's sixpack ($2.99 7/18/11). And now i have 5 more. They will be saved for a hot summer day outside.

2.5/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes:

Appearance: pale yellow with 1 finger white head

smell: lager yeast, corn, rice, malt

taste: water, lager yeast, corn

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin body,

overall: Had to get when I found out it's a Walgreens brand beer. Plus it's 2.99 for a 6 pack : )

Cheers,
The CPJ

1.93/5  rDev -25.8%

I drank this from a pint glass...

It looks like your average macro American lager, pale yellow, thin whie head.The smell is very faint, I only noticed some sweet corn and just a tiny hint of grass. It tastes like carbonated water with a slight sweetness, and corn. It's light and has lots of carbonation, watery. The beer isn't horrible especially for $2.99 a six-pack.

Big Flats 1901 from World Brews