Four In Hand IPA | World Brews

Liked:
3.06/5
Alströms:

3.4/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a medium coppery amber with a two finger off-white head that dissipates quickly to a thin film, but leaves behind good lacing. Aroma is very malty, bready and caramel malt, faint piney hops. Flavor is more biscuit and caramel malt up front finishing quickly with moderate grassy hops. Medium bodied with active carbonation. A very odd IPA, aroma is closer to a bock in sweet malt intensity, but flavor closer to an amber or or English style IPA (which may well be the brewers intent… perhaps it's misclassified here), with biscuit malt and grassy hops. No off flavors and pleasant enough to drink, but it's not clear to me why an IPA would be a good style for a budget beer. The rapid flavor decline to the finish is a bit of a flaw. As a lunch time sipper, it's more than satisfactory. This would have scored lower if I was sure that the brewer intended an American IPA, which this misses in style.

2.75/5  rDev -10.1%

2.38/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I haven't written a review in ages, but the weirdness of this beer prompted me to jot a few things down.

I have to admit, I was drawn in by can/artwork and just took a gamble, knowing nothing of this beer's ratings, brewery, or anything. There was my mistake.

From the first whiff, the beer is strange compared to anything that would normally be marketed as an IPA. I'd already regretted the choice based on smell alone.

The taste is where it all falls apart though, since it's disturbingly flat and sweet, exactly what I would never want in an IPA. While I wouldn't say the beer overall is outright terrible, since I did drink a couple to give it a chance, it is definitely not at all appropriate for the style of beer is pretends to be. Mouthfeel is meh, and there really isn't much of a redeeming quality to this one...

It's been awhile since I've been this disappointed in a beer.

1.5/5  rDev -51%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz into a tulip. Muddy amber pour, a finger of head forms above an opaque ruddy body. Strong fruity esters are most prominent on the nose, stonefruit in particular, with caramel malt and boiled vegetal hops behind. Caramel malt and fruity esters overtake the hops on the palate as well, though there's a slight vegetal/herbal bitterness in the finish. Slightly metallic with a hefty body. This is awful.

3.75/5  rDev +22.5%

2.43/5  rDev -20.6%

Tone77 recently dropped this off in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM) and I must say, the CAN is intriguing, if nothing else. I have begun saving my spent CANs for a fellow in York Co., PA, but this is worthy of retention.

From the CAN: "Crafty Ale".

Ooh, it is nearing Hallowe'en, so I like things that are crafty at this time of year. Man, I love my Anderson Valley CAN glass since it really enables me to do an inverted Glug! The Crack really was not very special, but the inverted Glug produced two-plus fingers of dense, tawny head with great retention. The color was a beautiful copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was tea-like and I do not necessarily mean that as a bad thing. I have hop tea before and you talk about a mellow experience ... This was very mellow in terms of its hops and I was curious to begin. I need not have been. This was not very tasty, sadly. I was getting a lot of honey-like flavor, almost as if they had used lager yeast and the tea smell translated into a perfume-y cloying sweetness. Gah! It reminded me of the scent of somebody's aging grandmother. Lilacs, daisies, lilies. Phew! A travesty of the style. Finish was sweet and when was the last time that you had a sweet AIPA? I am getting ready to fold my hand and walk away from the table. Jeez, Louise.

3.71/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a deep golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, some malts. Taste is well balanced, some pine, very easy drinking and enjoyable. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, while some may not like the fact that it is not overly bitter, or a hop bomb, I found it to be an easy drinking beer that I could drink several of.

1.75/5  rDev -42.8%

2.75/5  rDev -10.1%

2.7/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Sam Adams sensory pint glass at Whole Foods - Schaumburg.

Once again, the funds aren't exactly robust, so a cheaper beer's gonna haveta do today. This one pours a clear sunset amber topped by a finger of lightly off-cream foam. The nose comprises old red apple skin, mild toffee, light pine resin, and a twinge of fresh cedar. The taste brings in more of the same, along with a decent amount of miscellaneous greenery. These forest-y bits don't help all that much, frankly. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, this IPA just didn't sit right with me. The hops are boorish and unpolished and just don't meld well at all with the malts beneath. Things just taste off, rather than old or something like that.

2.5/5  rDev -18.3%