DieselPunk IPA | World Brews

Added by tdm168 on 04-23-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 35 | Ratings: 152
1.33/5  rDev -54.6%

I'm drinking this from a can that says Double IPA (@ 8.5% abv) but it appears to be the same beer.
This stuff is terrible. Smells like a not-very-good barleywine, and tastes like a hoppy, not-very-good barleywine.
Steer clear, unless you are just looking for a cheap buzz ($7.99/6-pack), but honestly, even then, I'd rather drink PBR or Yuengling.
Does have a nice color, though.
Still, just awful swill here, unless you are a big barleywine fan and are looking for a cheap, hoppy sixer.

1.73/5  rDev -41%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pinto shaker at home

Pours a clean, hazy copper. Huge, rocky, ice cream float type head.

Aroma is very faint. There's a hint of chalk in the nose, almost a baking soda type aroma. it's lightly metallic as well. Could it be... oh lordie, yes it is. Made by the same folks who make the hideous Tap Room 21 brews. This does not bode well.

The taste is a hint of hop, followed almost immediately by a dishwashing liquid flavor. Seriously heavy "Palmolive" thing going on here. I can't get past it, in fact. If there is anything else in the flavor of this beer, I can't find it, and believe me I'm looking pretty hard. I want to find something positive to write about. But sip after sip, it's soapy soap soap. I save "1" ratings for beers that have gone bad, usually. This isn't spoiled, it's just not anywhere close to a well made beer. Metallic and soapy are not descriptions you find for any beer style. Yuck.

The mouthfeel is light, but with an oiliness that is out of place. It's worse than that, as it causes the flavor to stay in your mouth longer.

Sad to say, this one was a drain pour. If I used soap on my beer glasses, I'd be convinced it was my fault for not rinsing one, and buy another of these beers. As I don't, added with what I know about this brewing project (I'm hesitant to call them a brewery at this point), I'm certain the fault is in the beer. Just bad. This appears to be one of those "hey, craft beers are getting big, let's put a lot of money into packaging and throw some beers out there as quickly as possible so we can get in on this!" projects. No proof of that, of course, but if this is a serious brewery, they have a lot of work to do to even find the golf course, let alone get up to par. Stay way away from this one, in spite of the cool looking can.

1.87/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

If they didn't call it an IPA I would have never guessed. The beer pours a light orange color with a short head that recedes quickly, leaving spotty lacing. It smells of aluminum and cough medicine--definitely none of the pine or citrus flavors I'm used, and the smell suggests that nothing in this is fresh. The taste consists of chemical fruit adjuncts and a touch of bread. The mouthfeel is overly thin, with low carbonation, and a horrible aftertaste. Overall, this wins the award for the worst IPA I've had. It's really bad.

2.01/5  rDev -31.4%

Look: Pours clear copper brown

Smell: Somewhat dank with notes of toasted biscuit and caramel.

Taste: Mildly bitter with predominant caramel flavor, would expect this more with an amber ale. Finishes with a metallic taste. Also some notes of toast and a little bit of citrus at the end.

Feel: Appropriately carbonated, some good bitterness.

Overall: Not very good. Tastes like a bad, bitter amber ale to me. Will not be buying this in the future.

2.09/5  rDev -28.7%

I do not know what the brewers at Dieselpunk are thinking or not but this is a far cry from being called an IPA. The most I give it is better than average marks on color coming off with a nice golden-honey color. It poured nicely into my glass with a very good effervescent bubble action and that is about where the good ends. I quick inhale through the nasal passages and I stopped. Nothing. No hint of a hop scent. So I tried again and pulled in the aroma through mouth and nose as deep a pull as my lungs could manage, still nothing. Without tasting it I knew the flavor would not hold up as an IPA and I was not wrong. This beer comes off as a bitter pale ale. I just get the feeling the brewers tried to skimp on the hops, granted this is just a single IPA but still there is no citrus smell, no grapefruit taste, and the bitterness falls flat before it reaches the back of my mouth.

2.45/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: It looks pretty good, it came out of a very cool looking can with what appears to be some sort of Rocketeer logo knockoff. The appearance was deep golden in the pour and looked light amber in the glass with a healthy head.

Smell: Nothing remarkable, smelled like a wanna-be citrusy IPA, but came off a bit less robust. A weak fart would garner more attention from red-blooded male than this beer could.

Taste: Astringent up front and barely a malty finish to follow. A few more forced sips and it just started to taste like sweet water. Whatever hops they used, they aren't enough to flavor the beer. The bitterness keeps hitting as astringent instead of flavorful.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is somewhat pleasant, the head kind of froths at the back of the mouth. When I keep drinking this it's like a low tide at the beach hitting my throat.

Overall: This beer's first taste was just too harsh. All the excitement from a cool looking 16 oz. can and a pretty pour was decimated by this beer's flavor. The smell is virtually non-existent, which is sad for an I.P.A. It's a cheap Kroger brand beer and I got a 4 pack for less than 7 bucks. I'll finish the 4 pack and never buy it again.

2.45/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Aroma: slight citrus, hoppy smell.

Taste: hoppy with a hint of grapefruit citrus. A bit like Sierra nevada's torpedo, but with less hops, but very bitter none the less.

Feel: okay carbonation, slight, very slight, oily feel

Look: it's all about taste in my book baby, but... I'll tell you anyway. Beautiful honey color with a fingers width head when poured, no noticeable lacing.

Overall, it's an okay beer... I am not a big fan of an overly hoppy beer, but this one is bearable. It's not as harsh as Sierra Nevada's torpedo, but I also feel and taste the lack of the hops used. Really would not call this an IPA, but it's no a beer I regret buying.

2.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: This poured a clear dark gold with moderate white head.
S: It smelled like sweet caramel and sticky toffee, with a little honey biscuit.
T: It tasted like caramel and earthy biscuit malt, with a little sweet honey. It had a dirty sweet aftertaste.
M: It was watery with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This was a terrible IPA. The scent and taste were more like a brown ale. The body wasn't great either, and the finish wasn't very clean. All around poor brew.

2.55/5  rDev -13%

Look: Decent, clear copper color.

Smell: Oxidized, malty aroma. Not much, if any hop aroma.

Taste: This tastes like an IPA that has sat around in the bottle for about 2 to 3 years. Most definitely oxidized, although it is actually drinkable. Some decent hop flavor in addition to oxidation. Don't expect a typical West Coast American hop bomb.

Feel: Medium mouthfeel.

Overall: The beer is actually drinkable, but this is not a typical IPA. It appears that the brewer has purposely introduced oxygen somewhere int he process. I think a new style -- Old American IPA -- should be invented for this beer.

2.63/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Copper amber colour and off white head with a bland unimpressive smell. Taste like something you might come up with your first time home brewing before you know what you're doing. But sold locally in NorCal for $4 a six pack of bottles what do you expect.

2.68/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured nice into the pint glass. Doesn't have the mouth feel of an IPA. Has a bit of a metallic aftertaste, but I've had much worse. It'll get you drunk. Have it with something salty. The marketing is probably the main reason people try this one at all. Overall, it's underwhelming. As it was on sale, I'm not too broken up about buying it. Wouldn't bother with it again.

2.7/5  rDev -7.8%

Color and head, along with aroma seem way off to what the style should be. I see that they brew for supermarkets, walgreens, etc. so I am assuming that they brew a cheap, quick brew to make a few bucks. Heavy malt backbones with the IPA and not very good. Malt is flat and hops take a back seat, even of they are there??

2.73/5  rDev -6.8%

Read the reviews first. How bad could it really be? It's really not good. This didn't taste like an ipa, but rather like a stale strong ale. Maybe it was stale. I'm not buying another to find out, though. Good abv in consolation.

2.88/5  rDev -1.7%

So so but nothing more. I don't think this brew is quite as bad as others but I won't buy it again.

On the pour... it has a hazy copper color but nothing that says this is beautiful.

The head.... this is a weak spot IMHO. It's flat and dissipates quickly. Lacing literally disappears immediately.

Smell.... It has been hopped but the nose is not obvious. I get honey and muted pineapple juice but that's reaching on the pineapple.

Taste... the finish has a cheap feel and comes off amateurish. I had no problem finishing this beer but it didn't make me feel like pouring another.

Overall.... well it's another beer that I've tried but I won't bother with it again. I was thirsty and this served it's purpose but that's where it end with this brew. I think it's tolerable but I wouldn't tip my hat to the cook.

2.93/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A very bland AIPA. Looks great. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Orange/golden color with a big frothy white head. Good head retention and plenty of foamy lacing on the glass. The positives end here. Weak malty aroma with very little hoppiness. Flavor is mild, very little grassy hops in a mild malty beer. Mouthfeel is a bit better. At least it isn't watery but there is no good hops bitterness. This isn't a drain pour. You could use it as a lawn mower beer or to wash down food. But at 6.9% abv. you should expect more aroma and flavor. Not that worthwhile.

2.94/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - nice golden color, about an SRM of 6..

Smell - little hop traces but not real noticeable..

Taste - slightly citrusy, initially tastes of a more generic beer, bitter towards the end.

Mouthfeel - seemingly wet up front and dry towards the end, little harsh in the middle

As far as a cost effective IPA, It's ok ($5.88 a 4 pack), I have certainly paid more than double/triple the amount for poorer beer. Not sure what it is about beer brewed in this area, but I don't have a taste for many of these. It disappoints me because I'm from upstate NY and wish there were better tasting beer from my home state. (maybe its the water?)

I did contribute by uploading a picture of the can against some hops I'm attempting the grow here in GA...hope it gets selected!

Not a bad beer, but likely won't buy this one again....I will try the others they make though to give the co a fair run. As one reviewer stated, maybe a good transition beer for someone who likes mainstream beer and wants to move to an IPA .... This is what it reminded me of.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance-Nice goldenCopper hue, head foamed nicely, with some lacing, not overly carbonated, lost the head a little too soon

Smell-faintly hoppy, with a clean, almost outdoor scent. Fresh

Taste- Not bitter up front, but a little a the back of the tongue and throat. Very pleasant, not overly done.

Mouthfeel-bright and crisp, just right amount of carbonation,

Overall, an average middle of the road IPA, handles spicy foods well, with a good cleansing affect.
I am not a huge IPA fan but I would order this one again…especially by itself.

2.99/5  rDev +2%

Appearance - nice looking golden/orange pour, a finger of stick and creamy foam. Nice legs as well. A touch cloudy, otherwise pretty nice!

Aroma - soapy, hoppy, some caramel, a solventy thing going on. Not bad, just starts out busy and ends up mostly caramel.

Taste - citrus, mango perhaps. Sweet malts, seemingly a bit unattenuated or some sugar added after fermentation? A little breathy/solvent again with the alcohol, tastes boozier than the 6.9% would suggest. Alcohol heat in the finish, disrupting what should be a nice drying bitterness.

Mouthfeel - very bubbly and burp-inducing. Medium body, decent smoothness.

Overall - purchased after seeing on the shelf so many times. with the competition in this style, not one I'd repeat.

2.99/5  rDev +2%

Drinking from the 16 oz can so appearance is only artwork. Smell has some hops and malt, not great from an IPA. Starts malty and a little sweet, moves on to a hoppy taste. Slightly medium body with a dry bitter finish. Only wanting to make one stop I bought it with my groceries. Would maybe recommend this to someone just getting into the style.

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. Aroma- Grain and hop aroma with a wink of fruit added Appearance- clear slightly dark orange body, with a small white head with no retention. Taste- Bitter malt taste has a mildly unpleasant aftertaste Palate- Lightly carbonated, with a medium body that has an oily texture that finishes with a bitterness at the end. Overall- An average IPA. Has the bitter finish and a pretty good color. Definitely not the best I have had.

With, give or take a few, about a billion IPA on the market, brewers are heavily challenged to put flavorful and hop-forward ale on the market and to do so with competitive advantages. Made for large supermarket chains, the price-point and attractive 16oz can seems like a bargain! ...at first.

Its bright clarity and deep amber hues attract the eye as a billowing off-white foam greets the rim. Aromas of caramel and toasted grain greet the nose, along with a stern grassy and citrus whiff. As its sweetness and toast layers on the tongue, those citrus and stem hop flavors follow closely behind.

Perhaps more balanced than hop-heads prefer, the middle palate retains much of the beer's grain sweetness, steering toward caramel, pecan and cola. The peels of white grapefruit, under-ripened orange, and a berry-like twang give an acute pang to the palate ahead of its dry and resiny bitterness.

While growing bitterness eventually take command of the taste, the bulk of the beer's body calms but leaves a cola-like stickiness to linger underneath the hop's resins and vegetal spice.

3.02/5  rDev +3.1%

Clear amber colored ale with a tall white colored head.

Smells herbal and mainly of tobacco. Strong tea and faint wood.

Starts out dry and woody. Mildly bitter. Little bit of tobacco taste.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall pretty basic no brand IPA. Don't expect much from this one.

3.02/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Never heard of these guys, but apparently they’re the same brewery that produced Big Flats (AKA the Walgreens beer). Here’s hoping we get a little more quality than that!

A: Translucent, burnt-orange body, topped by a fizzy white head with almost no retention. Lots of lacing, though, appearing in globs around the glass.

S: Honey and fruity cereal grain, with a character that’s dimmed like an IPA that’s been on the shelves for too long. Hop scents are interesting, though, with a minty overtone and subtle lemon-lime.

T: Bitter with a certain smack of medicinal astringency, with tastes of tea, basil, pine, and brine; intense, but not entirely palatable. Malts, though they’re a large part of the palate, contribute mostly artificial caramel and honey flavors with a crisp note of toasted white bread. Finishes peppery and dry with an unfortunate note of stale grain.

M: Goes down slick, but with decent heft to the body. Light carbonation.

O: Decent, mildly palatable beer – might be good to give to someone just getting into craft. Both the malt and hop profiles seem off, but the overall palate isn’t that offensive.

3.05/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Dispenses a clear, coppery body with an inch of whitish head yielding a bit of lacing.

Smell: Pale maltiness, touches of toasted grains, a small lick of caramel. Herb, spice and lemon from the hops, but this all is pretty mild, too.

Taste: Pale malts, lightly grainy with some candied, sugary notes, but, it's acceptable. Light lemony citrus and spicy hops impart a restrained level of bitterness, leaving it on the mild end of the spectrum. Upon warming, a little harsh solventy hint begins to show and holds through the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Not particularly good and the cracks start to show as it warms.

3.06/5  rDev +4.4%

[begin edit]
Okay, I have had a couple more bottles from the six pack and it isn't as bad as I had previously maintained. I have moved it from 1.5 to 3.0.
[end edit]
Not only is this the worst IPA I've ever had, this is one of the worst beers that I've ever had. I am really angry at myself for buying a 6-pack. As soon as I opened the bottle and smelled it, I knew I was not in for a treat.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast