Cottonmouth Wit | Swamp Head Brewery

Style: Witbier

Added by drabmuh on 12-23-2009

4.72/5  rDev +24.5%

Served on tap @ Kickbacks
Appearance was milky golden straw color with a tight head and cap.
Appropriatte wit aromas of light wheat malts, mild clove/spice/lemon/citrus and Belgian yeast character.
Tastes as it smells with a nice balance of the spice. Supported well by the creamy mouthfeel and crisp carbonation.
I very much enjoyed this brew. It was a standout offering in my opinion, a stellar showcase of the Witbier style.

Additional info;
I attended a Swamphead Beer dinner at Kickbacks here in Jacksonville Florida 12/13/2010. The lineup overall impressed me, brews were appropriatte to style and well done across the board. I most notably enjoyed the Hoe Hoe Hoe Wit, Tupelo Cream Ale, Stumpknocker APA, and 10-10-10 Whiskey Barrel Aged as standouts for the evening. Overall a very talented brewery across the entire lineup. I had chance to meet Luke the owner who was a great guy, and Craig the brewer who was passionate and open to share his processes. Both were knowlegdable and I am very excited about this new Florida Brewery.

Here is are most of the Swamphead brews that were offered at the dinner;
Hoe Hoe Hoe Winter Seasonal - a Belgian style specialty ale with cranberries, ginger and orange blossom honey
Wild Night Tupelo Honey Cream Ale
Alderwood Smoked Porter
Chipotle Smoked Porter
Stumpknocker infused with Chipotle peppers
Catherine's Inspiration - Russian Imperial Stout
Catherine's Passion - Russian Imperial Stout infused with organic cocoa nibs and Midnight Oil coffee

4.7/5  rDev +24%

Pale yellow straw color, slightly cloudy, with lasting white head. Aroma is of orange, banana, and Belgian yeast. Taste is mainly coriander, bananas, and mild hop bitterness. They've achieved great balance with the hop flavor/bitterness. Very delicious and refreshing. You could easily drink this all night.

4.7/5  rDev +24%

Draft Pour on 1/30/09 @ Stubbies

*Pub Review (Not a Sit-Down Judging)

First beer of the night, shared with my gf (who is an avid Wit drinker). I watched the pour, as I sat in front of the tap handle (which I might add are nicely designed). Poured Clear (No haze about it), Straw/Yellow colored (somewhere in there), C02 was low (not nec. the beers fault). Pretty much was so clear it could have been filtered (which it isn't as far as I know). The aroma was very nice - light spicy/fruity mix. The flavor was better than the aroma: lightly sweet with a dryish, tart, zesty finish. Felt medium light bodied to me. Hop aroma/flavor/bitterness was non-existent. Enjoyable to drink.

Pro's:

- Probably one of the best balances of Coriander/Citrus Zest/Sweetness in a wit I've found, at least this pour.
- Both me and my gf felt it was a tasty easy to drink, well balanced Wit. We had several other draft Wits the following days - and this was decidedly the best.
- Loved the Spicy/Dry/Tart finish.

Con's:
- Too clear for a beer geek..
- CO2 was off, should be dispensed with a little more gas on the keg.

OI: I liked the beer, enjoyed it. Likely the freshness (being locally distributed) helped with making it as good as it was - when comparing it to Belgian drafts (Aromatics/Flavors from the spicing wasn't aged). Definitely would grab another pint.

*I don't take "notes" at local pubs, so no fancy write up here, I enjoy what I drink and drink what I enjoy. I don't pretend to be able to smell taste things that are undetectable at such a location while mildly intoxicated (at least by me).

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

4.36/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A really nicely crafted Belgian Witbier. Hits all the good qualities for the style.

4.36/5  rDev +15%

4.34/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

By far the best wit I have ever had, I am usually not a huge fan of the style but this hit the spot and was super refreshing. I hope they can it here soon.

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

4.23/5  rDev +11.6%

Added updates based on a fresh sample from the brewery, original notes are still there. Apparently my original sampling was brewed in June or July and didn't hold up very well at all.

Reviewed from notes.

In to a pint glass on-tap at Stubbies & Steins.

Pours a hazy golden color with a short white head that could have had better retention. Some spotted lacing down the glass as the beer went down.

UPDATE - Beer is more on par with the style, a bit more hazy with a nice head on it and great retention and lacing.

Smell is slightly fruity and herbal with a little bit of breadiness and some very slight DMS.

UPDATE - Smell is 100x better, lots of great banana aromas with some nice balanced orange and spice. No DMS.

Taste is again fruity and herbal, well balanced and the bread and DMS from the nose are not apparent. More balanced than many examples of the style I have had that seem to dominate more to either the citrus or the spice.

UPDATE - Not as tart or citrus as the original, still perfectly balanced with some nice banana flavors in there.

Body is thin and light with nice carbonation. Very refreshing and easy to drink.

UPDATE - Gained some body but nothing else changed. Near perfect.

This is my least favorite of their beers which simply may be bad examples. I will be revisiting this one regularly and will update this review if future batches are different.

After having a new sample this moved up the ladder to be one of my favorites. Very solid offering.

4.19/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev +9.8%

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

On-tap at Proof in Tallahassee, FL.

Pours a hazy lemon-yellow color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin ring around the glass leaving light lacing.

Smells of light citrus - lemon and orange rind - with moderate amounts of wheat twang and spices. Also present are light amounts of floral hops and lighter still amounts of grass.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though the citrus and hops stand out more. Light malts with solid amounts of wheat twang kick things off and are joined quickly by large light citrus flavors. Midway through the sip grassy and slightly leafy hop flavors make a brief appearance. Finally, hints of spices - coriander and with something else reminiscent of grains of paradise - come into play before giving way to citrus and wheat flavors that carry through to a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is OK. It's got a nice thickness however the carbonation is on the heavy side.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall this is my first beer from this brewery and I was a fan, despite the fact they're based out of Gainesville. Worth a shot.

4.08/5  rDev +7.7%

Cotton mouth
A: murky, straw with a touch of gold. Rapidly dissipating head

S: Yeast, mild spice and wheat

T: sweetness and wheat combine to make a very unique taste with a lingering sweet finish. Getting a sense of cola flavor.

M: moderate carbonation, and light bodied. Dry finish.

Overall: I enjoyed this one. I though the spice and sweet notes were different than most witbiers I have tried. I think of their 5 staples, this is one of the best for what it is trying to be.

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Love this beer. Very good bready flavor and sweet at the back end.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Perhaps one of the top Gainesville beers. Can't go wrong with a hefeweisen

Enjoyed during my long weekend in Tampa. I had the chance to meet some great people and try some new and some amazing new things. Had a lot of fun, but glad to be home. Enjoyed on 4/11/2011.

poured into a pint glass results in a large foamy white head and a nice and well rounded color to it. really very well put together with a light haze and good lacing stuck to the glass. aroma is light with hints of coriander, light pepper, hints of pear and light grains, needed a little more puncch but what was picked up was nicely done. flavor was more of the same, lemon, coriander, pepper, light grains, touches of apple and pear and banana. really nicely done.

Cottonmouth Wit from Swamp Head Brewery