Catherine's Passion | Swamp Head Brewery

Swamp Head Brewery
Florida, United States
swamphead.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Catherine II, the 18th century Empress of Russia, is said to have been the inspiration behind the creation of the Imperial Russian Stout, an intensely flavored, robust, dark ale with a noticeable alcohol presence. Legend has it that Catherine also had a voracious sexual appetite; she was known to have many lovers, but the story about the stallion was probably a myth.
We infused our Russian Imperial Stout with cocoa nibs and fair trade coffee, to create a sensual stout with an extra kick. We think Catherine’s Passion would be aroused by this stout…ale.

Added by CampusCrew on 01-02-2011

1.18/5  rDev -70.8%

Garbage beer

not a good beer here must be old

2.99/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

I really did not enjoy this. Mostly because it smells like green peppers and stale, used Folger's coffee grounds. That being said, it was drinkable... just not very pleasant at all. I love some roast, but the char flavor was not enjoyable... Shame. I enjoyed Resentment, but this iteration did not vibe with me.

3.33/5  rDev -17.6%

Thanks to moose3285, a guy who has been giving me good beer since before I was legal. I kid, I kid, but it’s been a long bloody time. This is the latest in a long line of fantastic-looking hauls. Big old 750ML bomber split with my wife.

The pour is stout black with an afro head that’s never seen a pick; takes a while to jam all that into a pair of 14 oz. glasses. I while away the idle moments watching Loren on Intervention, an alcoholic. Never mind. The nose makes me double-check the description of the beer: sweet sugar & crushed raspberries, fruitier than Merrick…never mind. Smells more like Founder Big Luscious than a coffee/chocolate stout.

Catherine’s Passion has undergone some kind of Transformer-style change since being written about. Sweet malts writ big hold up a solid dose of roast before the raspberry patch kicks in. Mid-palate is more bitter than Newt Gingrich: not hoppy, perhaps fallout from the coffee addition, but it’s more than that, & I can’t quite put my midline groove on it. The finish is pure circus freak, with the slippery fruit mixing with the malt & coffee &, yeah. Uh huh. Despite all the bearded women, I’m having little trouble putting this away.

Swamp Head is so hit & miss for me, ranging from great stuff to, ah, suckage. This is neither, but with no trace of chocolate, weirdly zinging coffee bite, & rampant orchard leavings, I doubt this is what the brewer intended. Still, oddly, pretty good.

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.57/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.69/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

3.81/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%