Silent Night | Mother Earth Brewing

Added by atsprings on 11-26-2010

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

4.75/5  rDev +15%

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to brentk56 for sending this along.

Bottle pours an enticing midnight/cola black, with a pillowy brown head that sticks around to leave its mark on the glass as I drink.

I was excited to try this beer when I received it. Putting my nose into the glass is only building that excitement higher. Can a beer smell smoothe? Well, this one does. The bourbon takes the forefront, but does not dominate as BBA stouts sometimes fall prey to. Instead of being boozy and overwelming, the bourbon serves as the platter on which roasty chocolate ushers in a creamy coffee finish.

The themes follow through to the mouth: silky smoothe initially, although the booze does start to peek through as I drink. As it warms, the heat comes out, as it were. Flavours present more coffee than the nose, though there's still a creamy chocolate presence, and the spicy bourbon thread running throughout.

This beer exceeded my expectations. I was hoping it would be pretty good, but it really hits the spot for me. As it warms it loses some of the creamy smootheness and definitely gets a little hotter with the bourbon showing through, but all in all it's an extremely enjoyable drinking experience, and I'm very grateful to Brent for picking this up for me. Drink it. Enjoy it. Also, apropos of nothing, but I really like the label.

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%